• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Android Phone

P & L

Time of past OR future Camino
Attempting out first Camino soon :) Just not sure what to get to charge our android phones. Is a converter needed? Also, any recommendations on chargers/battery packs. or whatever is needed. Any opinions on solar chargers? Appreciate this forum, read it everyday!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A voltage converter is not needed. You can use your charger with just a plug adapter. I recommend that you tape the adapter to the charger so that you don't accidentally leave it in an outlet.

I bring a ten foot long charging cable, because oftentimes there is no outlet right near your bed, especially if you have a top bunk. I also bring a small power bank that gives me up to two full charges.
Rather than use my US plug charger I actually bought a European plug charger with two USB ports on Amazon.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We were posting at the same time. That's the same charger that I have.
Great minds and all that :) I really like the adapter. Relatively compact, very lightweight, and simple to use.

Caleb and I each carried one as a backup (just in case we left one plugged in and left it) or if a power-starved pilgrim happened to be in need. ;)

Great minds and all that :) I really like the adapter. Relatively compact, very lightweight, and simple to use.

Caleb and I each carried one as a backup (just in case we left one plugged in and left it) or if a power-starved pilgrim happened to be in need. ;)
I brought a cheaper European plug charger on my first Camino, but it got very hot when it was charging. I didn't have any problems with this one from Amazon.
I also want to advise against bringing a charger with LED lights, unless you want to annoy everyone in the albergue.

Never needed a “power bank”. I would just turn off my phone and turn it back on if needed. Sometimes I would just put it in airplane mode to take pictures. I would charge it at night in the Albergue if needed. No issues.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Never needed a “power bank”. I would just turn off my phone and turn it back on if needed. Sometimes I would just put it in airplane mode to take pictures. I would charge it at night in the Albergue if needed. No issues.
You're right, a power bank isn't necessary, but as a woman traveling alone I like to be prepared.

You're right, a power bank isn't necessary, but as a woman traveling alone I like to be prepared.

And now, the newest technologies produce tiny power banks which can fully charge an iPhone 8 two times and still have charging power left over. Smaller than a lipstick, you can toss one in your backpack and it might add 4 to 6 ounces.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I had an adapter but also had a solar charger. The latter, somewhat to my surprise, proved very useful during the day as my phone battery is about 8 hrs max and walking for hours meant I could plug in while walking (i attached it to my baclpack) and have a fully effective smart phone at all times. In the end I was charging the solar charger in the evenings from the mains to top that up ready for the next day.

Don’t worry if your battery dies on a Dublin bus and you left your charger in an albergue outlet...FC257585-5091-40EC-80E2-61FF3DEE71AD.jpeg

Hi there I do a lot of minimalist travel though this is my first Camino, I have used both Android and Apple products. I bring 2 power banks, with a converter tip for the wall outlet but one of my few luxury items I am bringing is a short extension cord with a power bar. The weight is minimal but it is one of the most used items that I have ever brought on all my travels. If it gets busy more than one person can use it to charge their items as well. Reminder if you need to there are a lot of places you can buy things but just not everywhere. Enjoy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Great help! Grateful for all your responses! Looks like a simple solution!!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.