• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ane

duds

I have read reports that the albergue in Ane is unsuitable for use what does this acually mean,i presume it has bunks and shelter from the elements? Has anybody had any recent experience of this albergue since i expect to be passing through there in a few weeks time and may wish to stop there.
Duds

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi there

I past Ané in june this year and had planned to stay there but changed my plan when I got there :D
I nice bar where I had coffee and something to eat and the albergue. For me it was better to go 10 km easy walking to Santa Maria Real de la Nieva. There you have a privat nice albergue that is "donativo".

Good luck

Roger

Town: Añe - (Segovia)

Description

Hot Water YES Toilet 2 Place for the bicycles YES
Potable water YES Laundry YES Lockers and closets NO
Medicine cabinet NO Washing machine NO Public Telephone NO
Heating NO Electric light YES Drying place YES
Kitchen NO Refreshmments machine NO Terrace YES
Showers 2 Coffe maker NO Towels and soap NO
Stall - Living room NO Plugs for the cellular phones YES
Refrigerator NO Dinning room NO Cellular phone cover YES
Services close the refuge

Infotmation & tourism bureau NO Cash dispenser NO Drugstore NO
Bicycle repair shop NO Grocery YES Medical care NO
Butcher's NO Bakery YES Restaurants & pubs NO
Place with Internet NO
It sounds spare!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Duds,

I think that you'll have to make your decision when you get there. The thing about the albergue in Ane is that it receives little/no attention from anyone in the village. So the condition will depend on whether any pilgrim has bothered to try to clean it up a bit. And depending on how hot and tired you are, you may have a different tolerance level for dirt. :)

The walk from Segovia to Santa Maria is a long one, even though there is little to no elevation gain. There's a stretch on big loose rocks, there's a stretch on sand that your feet sink into, and the Sunday that we walked it there was not one bar open between Segovia and Santa Maria.

On the plus side, the 12-sided romanesque Vera Cruz church leaving Segovia is quite nice, and you will have some respite in pine forests. Also, if you're leaving Segovia on a Sunday, there seems to be a weekly balloon launch early in the morning. We saw it, and I've seen other pictures of it. It is fun to watch.

We were so hot and thirsty when we arrived at the last little town before Santa Maria, which must have been Pinilla. We saw some people sitting in a courtyard and we asked if we could have some water to refill our bottles. Turns out there is a casa rural there that is rented out from time to time, and the family was quite happy to invite us in and hear all about the Camino de Madrid (in exchange for some ice cold drinks and some snacks!).

I'm glad we walked on to Santa Maria. There is a nice cloister there worth visiting, there are several bars/restaurants, and a grocery store. The albergue is totally donativo, small with 3 bunk beds, a tiny kitchen and bathroom. It has a nice story attached to it. The owner/hospitalero is a truck driver and the house has been in his family for generations. When he was a kid, the house was always used by migrant workers (always from Galicia, he said) who came to work in the fields for short times. He remembers kids about his age (6-8 years old) also working in the fields and he said he always has felt a bit guilty about that. So, he thought it'd be a nice homage to them, to open an albergue, since he would be serving "transients" but in a different way. He's never walked the Camino either.

The good thing to know is that you'll have a choice, buen camino, Laurie

I stayed at the albergue in Ane on Apr. 2 2012 and found it quite adequate. On Apr. 3 I checked out the albergue in Nava de la Asuncion and although its location (under the stands at a bullring) is unique it made the albergue in Ane seem like a parador. Buen Camino Solong

Well thanks so much everybody,this forum is just so good for info,so ive made a decision and that is im not going to make a decision until i way up my options at the time.
Thanks again ....Duds

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I hesitate to comment here because it was 2009 we walked the Madrid,and I know there are more albergues along this route now, but what the heck, sounds like some things may not have changed....

In 2009 we read conflicting reports about Ane and its albergue, but decided to take a chance. My husband and I are not generally able to walk more than 25km, so Santa Maria seemed just too far. Ane turned into one of the most frustrating days we've ever had on all of our 5 caminos, including VdlP in 2011, not just the filthy albergue with its stained and grubby mattresses, but the most unhelpful and unfriendly village, no bar open,( a shop or bar open only a few days per week) no food, water or wine. After we'd hung around for a couple of hours waiting for the mayor to finish her siesta and deliver the key, there was hot water, but hubby refused to stay. Yes, we should have walked on earlier!

So, if you intend to stay there, and I realise perception is subjective, take some provisions and don't expect much.

Unlike 'Solong' we loved the bullring albergue in Nava de la Ascuncion.... probably because it was unique, special and we had it to ourselves. Yes, it was small, very small, with just 2 double bunks, and very basic, but the mattresses were OK and once I'd hosed and swept away the bird shit from the entrance, we made it our own and had fun in 'our' bullring, pretty special. If the same hospitalera, Margeurita, has the key, you can't go wrong. She was ultra friendly, motherly and met us for dinner, where we were introduced to so many locals, mostly her relations! Nava will always hold a special place in our memories.

Hope I haven't confused you Duds... good luck. ... and for what it's worth, we may walk the Madrid again. It's special. Buen camino. Carole

Hi, Carole,
I remembered you had spent some time in the bullring albergue, but didn't know about your Ane experience. What you describe there is more consistent with what I had heard from people when I was walking in 2011. One cyclist said he slept outside instead of risking it on the mattresses. I think that sometimes pilgrims get a burst of energy and clean up a real mess, and maybe solong benefitted from that. This happened on my recent Primitivo -- some people who went ahead to Borres rather than stay in Herminia's private albergue found to their delight that it was clean and habitable. They were told that some pilgrims had spent an extra day there just to clean it up.

If the Madrid keeps growing in popularity, these albergues will either clean up and become normal municipal albergues with a charge, or they'll just die a slow death. That's my opinion anyway.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. do I interpret your last comment as suggesting that you're already planning a return to the camino?

Great information. Thanks everyone!
I'm bumping this up for others who are walking.
I found there was an albergue in Ane, did a search and found this thread.
Has anyone stayed there recently?

I've reported this to someone in the Association of Amigos and asked if they could at least leave a broom, mop, and cleaning supplies so a pilgrim could clean it up if they wanted to stay.

The list of albergues is pretty nice on the Asociacion's website.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just stayed in Ane in September 2014 and I REALLY enjoyed my stay. Bring plenty of food though. It is freshly painted with all the supplies you may need to sweep or clean, trash bags etc. The community was very kind to me and I felt very welcomed. I posted photos of the albergue in another thread, called "Impressions of the Camino de Madrid".

Here's excerpt from my post on Camino de Madrid regarding Ane:
"If you're planning to stay overnight in Añe be aware that only existing bar (in the bulding of Ayuntamiento) is opened only (maybe, asI was told) on Saturday evenings and that there is no other option to buy anything. I was calculating that the bar would be opened and I have had no bread so had to buy some from nice lady living next to the bar. Another pleasant experience!

And yes – the keys to the albergue you can get at the first house on the left when coming into the village. Just proceed straight on and you'll get to the albergue. Next morning you leave the keys in mailbox of the house where you've got them, as usual ;) Albergue is in an old school building, high ceilings, with approx.16 mattresses in one large (main) room and one smaller, one shower, one toilet, that's about everything, but it's kind of nice. Needless to say there's no wifi. Very quiet. Just be cautious of bats. I've opened the windows, switched off the lights and enjoyed the evening on the porch. After returning inside there was a bat making circles in the dormitory. Uhhhh, what to do? I put light off and on in one minute intervals and then let the bat in the dark. When I returned half an hour later the bat was gone. Of course I closed the windows for the rest of the night ;)"

If you want to read more or see the photos go here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/finally-my-camino-de-madrid-june-2014.25354/
(scroll down to post no.76/77)

Ultreia!

That's so funny! Of course I made a note of your bat incident before I left, but I completely forgot when I was there, thank God!!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, we stayed again in this village. In 2009 it was the low point of our camino. This year , in June, Ané albergue is still the same building, but is reasonably cleaner with some new bedding and cleaning equipment. Food is still a problem with the little bar only open a few days a week, with limited food, so you need to bring your own provisions. We were lucky this time, the bar was open for lunch, but then not open in the afternoon, as promised. Everyone had gone to celebrate a first communion around the corner and eventually we were invited to join that. It was a great night and Ané in 2014 was one of the highlight experiences for us. The locals now seem to be more supportive of the camino as is the case all along the Madrid. Don't forget, in the morning, to take the key back to the first house on the left. . .

Glad I didn't know about the bats as we slept with the window of the little room wide open.

Last edited:
Ah, this looks promising. I've been worrying about the Añe albergue. Glad it looks better now.

Yes, we stayed again in this village. In 2009 it was the low point of our camino. This year , in June, Ané albergue is still the same building, but is reasonably cleaner with some new bedding and cleaning equipment. Food is still a problem with the little bar only open a few days a week, with limited food, so you need to bring your own provisions. We were lucky this time, the bar was open for lunch, but then not open in the afternoon, as promised. Everyone had gone to celebrate a first communion around the corner and eventually we were invited to join that. It was a great night and Ané in 2014 was one of the highlight experiences for us. The locals now seem to be more supportive of the camino as is the case all along the Madrid. Don't forget, in the morning, to take the key back to the first house on the left. . .

Glad I didn't know about the bats as we slept with the window of the little room wide open.
I remember some kind of sports court nearby. Was it tennis? I was really thinking of asking four youngsters with a car having fun over there givng them some money to take me to another town to buy some provisions. I knew there was a bar, but was closed. In the morning a market-van came to the main plaza which means that is possible to buy something at least in the morning.

Ultreia!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back