• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Angels

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
White pilgrim,

I've met a lot of angels on the camino. In various guises.

Some pilgrims I met and helped may have thought I was an angel too. ;-)

So are the helpful souls in this forum. ;-)

Mark

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are some people who cruise the Camino, offering assistance and help to those who appear to be suffering. That was my understanding...

and some may appear in the guise of a little field mouse. There to spur you on when you are laying in the snow and your strength has left you. As experienced by my other half (rioja routard) in April

quote below from his posting - 'greetings from Pamplona' 1/4/07

"I was totally exhausted, I lay down in the snow surrounded by forests and mountains and wondered how I could continue. Then I watched a tiny field mouse hopping around me, it seemed almost tame and just looked at me and I at it. I thought if this creature can survive so will I. I carried on and got to the summit and then down to Roncesvalles."

I am so very grateful to that little creature for giving my boyfriend the strength to go on!

That will do it for me!

Angels are nearly always portrayed as men in very white clothing - washing machines in heaven then..

Both Jewish and Arabic traditions say it is right and proper to offer hospitality to strangers as apart from anything else, they may be angels. Sounds right to me.

Interventionist world or fixed? I prefer interventionist, don't you? Makes so much more sense.

So, angels? everywhere, always - but don't always expect to recognise the event at the time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Angels of the Camino come in many forms. Little mice who spur you on, the perro-grinos who keep you company, Sr. Agapito who leaves biscuits and peanuts outside his house in San Martin (just after Leon), the podiatry students who visit the refugios in Astorga and Villadangos to tend to pilgrims' feet, anyone who shares their chocolate or gives directions.

It's all part of the Camino Magic.

OK, guys, you're gonna laugh at this, but here it goes. It may sound kind of melodramatic :lol: , now, when I tell the story.

Not then.

I had a similar experience like the one that happened to rioja routard, sorta.

I got lost during my first Camino, in the middle of some hilly woods, with no one in sight for miles around. I had no water or food left. It seemed that I kept walking around in circles and could not find a way out.

A couple of hours of desperation into this hell, I saw what appeared to be two large dogs or wolves, standing, at a distance, very still, at the entrance of one of those shaded walking "tunnels" we walk through so many times on the Caminos.

They stood, so, so, still, staring, at me.

"Well," I figured, "this is it."

I had a pole and all, but was exhausted and terrified.

It's strange that at moments like this the weirdest ocurrences come to mind.

It ocurred to me to take pics of the animals, so that, when my body was found :lol: , at least they would know who the culprits were for my demise ( :!: ).

So, I figured I'd go ahead, face the inevitable, walked towards them, slowly, taking pics.

But, as I got close to them, they moved away.

I kept following them.

Eventually, I got close enough to see that they were a couple of calves. They probably had gotten lost. I stopped taking pics and reached out to them, wanting to touch them.

But, again, they would have none of it and moved.

This went on for approx 20-30 minutes.

Eventually, I reached a place where I saw the ubiquitous "mojon" (landmark) with the St James conch.

I had found the way out.

"What a relief!"

Then I looked back, and the calves were gone.

I walked a bit looking for them, but they had disapeared.

Nowadays, when I look at the photos, I feel the same eerie feeling I experienced then. I still don't know what to make out of it. If anything.

This, btw, is one of the values of taking pics on the Caminos. They're full testimony that the things/events we protographed were not figments of imagination.

Angels, cosas del Camino, or... :?:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Angels are nearly always portrayed as men in very white clothing - washing machines in heaven then..

Aren't they supposed to be asexual? :? But then they have male names... Hmm...

Angels.

Xm. I think I hold with the entertaining unawares thinking. I don't accept
the Victorian stained glass window dude with feathered wings, Californian
bushy blond hair-do, picture of Angels. I had not thought about Angels in animal form. However that does fit the idea of messengers from God that encourage. As for fellow pilgrims~ I have no idea where John who is walking beside me comes from~ it may be Hanover, it could
as easily be Heaven. I detect a little embarrassment in your telling of the
story of the wolves. Why? We live in God's dynamic world and he is
in control. the meta-narrative is not dead as post modernists keep trying to tell us. Jesus rose from the dead: anything can happen~ even Angels.
So keep the stories coming.

ur right, PEREGRINO BLANCO, there's a bit of :oops: in there. Dunno, sounded kind of funny to me when I read it :!: BTW, they were calves, so beautiful and peaceful. Best, xm 8)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No, wings and lyres came later. In Judaic/Christian writings angels are men in brighter than normal white clothes. Angel means messenger.

As for discussions about the nature of this reality - fixed or interventionist - logic and observation comes down on one side quite solidly - it is interventionist. Personal opinions about it all are a modern spin-off from this 1st world new Cult of the Individual and are utterly worthless as they are merely opinions that always support what the person already wants to believe, allowing that person to live as they already do. Yet people do live their lives by them.

Observation and trust are all, and, yes, there are 'helpers'.

Look, take a moment. Imagine this - you are asleep and cannot be woken up, a coma. Tests show that you are dreaming and sometimes the dream is nasty and frightening (as we all know, 'real' dreams are utterly real as you dream them). Someone awake who cares deeply about you can see that although you cannot be woken there may be a way of making the dream a better experience and that may eventually lead to you safely waking up if they could somehow insert themselves into your dream. Using some electronic gadgetry they manage to do this indirectly - you, in your dream then occasionally feel protected, or diverted away from where an accident could have happened, or someone says something to you that changes what you do next and so on. You feel, in your dream, that there is another level, that there is something else 'going on' but you can't work out what it is. When you talk to others about this there is an argument about whether any of this could possibly happen - in your dream people are split into two camps, one says the world is pure accident, cause and effect and there is no God and therefore no angels (or demons), the other camp says that this universe is created and interventionist and that something beneficial and loving is always trying to intercede and help and that we are not alone ... ...

Now look at this universe, the one we really inhabit . where is it? If God has created it He has created it out of the only thing around, Himself, so it is more like a virtual universe than a solid one, a dream but real - therefore interventionist ...

Trust me, there are Angels, always. Trust God - even if you cannot yet quite believe it all. Even if you are of the fixed reality camp, trust anyway.

So, when I have written in the past that whatever the reason you think you are drawn to this pilgrimage - 'God calls' - this is what/why I do so.

Does this make things easier? More clear? Or shall I just return to making jokes?

The Blessings to you - Be not afraid

David

Sorry PB, can't seem to find the bit where I had suggested that you do. Apologies if my post seems like that.

I am looking forward to hearing those experiences too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello PEREGRINO BLANCO. Following is an account that a pilgrim posted on Internet. I hope u enjoy it.

Perhaps my decision to go to Eunate has been the most influential one of my whole Camino. I have met some wonderful people with whom I feel I share a great bond.

I was the first to arrive; I visited the Octagonal Church, which apparently figures in the Da Vinci Code, most impressive. While I was there I met a young cyclist, Koen Delrve, he has cycled through Europe, Asia, I'm not sure where else. He was returning from Compostela, a journey of some 17,000k, on his way home, he goes back to work in 2 months. He feels time running away from him now, he might return to the East before he finishes, he has fallen in love with the Orient.

The Refugio does not open until 3.00 but 8 am happy to sit in the afternoon sun and wait, However at around 2.30, Jean, a Frenchman, who is looking after the Refugio in the absence of Mari Luz & Jan, invites me in.

He offers me a cold herbal tea, which I gratefully accept, shows me the dorm, invites me to take two mats and put them one on top of the other in a place of my choice, this will be my place for the night.

He explains that there will only be eight in total, we will have a communal meal at 8.00, we will. if you so wish, then visit the church for a short service, readings and a pilgrim's prayer. Silence is to be observed, except at the meal, each is left to his own thoughts, after the evening prayers we all retire. We will be given breakfast in the morning. You leave whatever you like as a donation; there is no charge as such. There are separate toilets and showers for the ladies and the gents.

He leaves me, I take full advantage of the fact that I am there on my own, I have a leisurely shower, get out of the walking duds, and feeling suitably refreshed go out to sit and enjoy the afternoon sun.

Others are arriving, I meet Anita, a happy, infectious laughing German lady, young by my standards, then Barbara, and her friend Brigitte, I simply call her Brigit for convenience, easy for me to remember, Mark, a sturdy French man, I think speaks German, French, Spanish and a little English, of course I am embarrassed.

Barbara and Anita both have good English, Brigitte could get by, and then two others, (an Irishman!) Dave, adopted Irishman, he has lived in Belfast for around 20 years, works with youth, a sports therapist, great conversationalist, knowledgeable and very articulate, a great guy, and then of course the joker in the pack! Benjamin! 'I'm going to change the world ' Benjamin, a young Frenchman 28 years of age, full of life, vigour, fun, I just know this guy has a big heart. Those are my companions for the evening, and my friends for life. Later two cyclists arrive but so what we are now nine, plenty of room and they too are made welcome. Jean has explained that for the evening the house is our home. And a warm homely atmosphere pervades the place.

Jan, Mari Luz arrive together with their daughter an extremely good looking lassie perhaps 20, they have picked her up from the Airport she has returned from Holland, they are naturally spending the evening with their daughter, and will not be joining us. I sit out enjoying the evening sun, that lovely warm comfortable feeling, I have taken my MP3 player with me, and I am listening to a Colm Sands tape, and singing. I don't realise that I am singing so loud, I'm just singing along, but Mari Luz is out in the area in front of the Refugio with her daughter and they have been listening to me. I am totally oblivious but eventually she attracts my attention and calls me over. I hand her one of the earpieces and continue to sing. Colm is singing 'I am the child with the troubled eyes, you see me when the deed is done' I finish the song or rather Colm finishes the song, and she says how much she enjoyed it.

I tell her about the Sands Family, their great art and great heart, she enquires about my Camino, I explain about my desire to raise awareness of the Continent of Africa's plight and the connection with the shell that I wear. 'We know Badagary, we lived there' . So we talk on. She explains a little about the evening service which we will have after our meal, and says 'We usually start it with a song, will you sing?'

'Of course I will, but what?'

'Whatever' she says, 'perhaps a love song', and she says Barbara, will sing to close the service.

Barbara, Mark, Brigitte, David, Anita and I had met already on the Camino. We may not have known each others names until that night but we were travelling at about the same rate, and we constantly overtook each other stopping at different places during the day, and probably covering about the same distance each day. So it was arranged. I did not know what I was going to sing, but sing I would whenever the time came.

We assemble at 8.00 for the meal, there has been silence throughout the house, visitors are constantly coming to the Church, by bike, walkers, buses, I attended a part of a Mass, actually the very last bit, just at the blessing, but the house itself observes 'The Silence'.

The dinner itself is something quite different, we are all talking and exchanging our experiences on the Camino. 'Yes I saw you such and such a place" and so on' .

Jean had a little English and does his best to prepare us for our service which was yet to come. He has opened a bottle of wine and then a second before the meal is over. We start with a well-prepared mixed salad, plenty of bread, a dish, which could perhaps be described as a bean stew, follows this and then he opens a large container of yoghurt, which you liberally cover with sugar. There are plenty of willing hands for the washing up, I consider that age being honourable, I do not have to help and I allow myself the luxury of sitting back watching others working.

Perhaps at about 9.40, we approach the Chapel; we have each been given a candle, which we light at the door. I think of the light of Christ, light being his symbol, as we enter the darkened Church. Others among have been given readings to say in our respective languages, Dutch, German, French, Spanish, and English. Come to think of it there were no Spanish that night, perhaps Jean said the Spanish Prayer. Jean said a few words and invited me to sing. Only seconds before I had decided what I would sing, A Song for Ireland - 'Here we were, in tall towers walking all the day, then talking all the day, then drinking all the day,'. (well some of us would have liked to have been drinking all the day!)

And then finally the last verse where we see our poor country still crying in the Dawn, but being uplifted like the Falcons, which twist and turn in your morning light. As I sing each chorus, I can hear the Atlantic Ocean crashing on our Western Shores. Octagonal Church, stonewalls, quite small, the quality of sound is brilliant. I know I sang it well. We then had the various readings, followed by a prayer for Pilgrims. Then Barbara sang, she has a beautiful voice and although I never understood one word, I was moved. Perhaps the Pilgrims Prayer came last, but altogether it was almost moving experience. The candles are blown out and we return to the house and to 'Silence'.

Breakfast will start at 7.00 in the morning; anyone wishing to go earlier can certainly go, the door will be open. I think I was first down to breakfast - a wonderful muesli, plenty of bread coffee, fruit, and preserves. Well set up to face the day.

Silence is still being observed, and there are proverbs etc to read. In addition, there is a box, from which you are invited to take a 'Thought for the day' with you. Boxes in English and French, you take this message with you, to be opened later, at a quiet time whenever you are on your own, this is your personal message, your own personal thought.

Mark has already gone, the cyclists are outside our group, not excluded, because we had great chat the night before, but they're different. I thank our hosts and leave. I haven't gone far along the road whenever I realise I have not put anything into the donations box, so I come tripping back to correct that and on my way back out I join up with Benjamin.

He's a great guy we walked all day together, finally I read my message, the gist of it is, 'Whenever in life, you have to choose between two roads, examine them and choose the road that has a heart, in choosing the one with the heart you will not be disappointed'

In my own life I know that where Alice and I had to choose a road, from perhaps several options, we choose the road with the heart or rather we choose with the heart and we were not disappointed. I had a wonderful day with Benjamin, full of joy and humour. 'I want to change the world' he would shout and then apologise because he didn't know the rest of it. He has found his pace now, and is moving a lot quicker than the rest of us. He broke up with his girlfriend about a month ago, but he loves her 'toujours', perhaps he is in a hurry to get back to her.

I told him my message, it is also his message, I hope and pray he makes the right decision and chooses with his heart. He has a big heart, perhaps easily bruised. I hope he comes visit me in Rostrevor; I am to go and drink wine with him in his Burgundy home. Will I ever be able to do all I still want to do in this life? I must choose with the heart.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That is such a moving story!

I must agree that there are angels/helpers/guides all around us, all the time. We only ever have to ask and they will help us if they can.

I am also sure that we are given help and guidance by creatures that we would not expect, such as mice and calves! The power that I like to think of as 'the ultimate love', works in ways that we will never understand (but you all know that :oops: ). We ourselves must wait to discover all the answers to all our questions.

Thank goodness time has no meaning once we pass over, because I might be a while with the amount of questions I am gathering, and I'm anticipating rather a queue....chuckle

(Hasten to add that I'm sure all knowledge will be instantaneous on arrival, just my little attempt at wit)

...there are angels/helpers/guides ...only ever have to ask...help and guidance by creatures...such as mice and calves!

I very much agree and feel the same way. It is totally compatible to consider oneself spiritual, without adhering to an instutionalized system of beliefs.

Bestx,

xm 8)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Absolutely XM - I couldn't agree more (*though we both would have been barbecue not that long ago for writing that).

Not on the Camino, and not a person, animal, or external voice but, many years ago ... ermmm .. my son is 28, so .. 24 years ago in the West Country of England, just outside our town, Bath, there was a regular annual weekend folk festival. I had a large camper van I had built and we all went along, me, partner, children.
On the evening of the Saturday we had been invited to supper by a van with a family just along from us - there were lots of campers (RV's?) and tents, quite a little village. Atmosphere was good, everyone was having a happy and rather gentle time. And then I got clear feelings that we all should leave. I looked around at the scene and dismissed them but the feelings came back much stronger so I insisted that we all leave - the 'neighbours' thought I was crazy, my wife was FURIOUS even more when I couldn't explain why. Eventually we rounded up the now very unhappy children and drove away.

On the Monday we found out that that same evening a large chapter of Hells Angels (we also have them in England) turned up and made camp. They got drunk and then , when it was dark, started on the women, pulling them out of tents and raping them. Any men/boyfriends going to their aid were beaten and stabbed. A couple, friends of ours, who were parked just along from where we parked were attacked, he was slashed across the face and forced to watch whilst his partner was gang raped. Their daughter was hiding in the cab, kept quiet and wasn't found by them. Police eventually turned up and there was a full scale riot with many police ending up in hospital - no one died.
Rather horrid, to say the least. So ... something had told me to leave, I listened, braved the family's fury, and we left ....

something intervenes, we have to listen - I always do.

(though we both would have been barbecue not that long ago for writing that).

Well, in the world in which I presently live/work, we could be barbecued for speaking about it! :lol:

something intervenes, we have to listen...

That's some story you shared, Br. David. I suspect that we all have similar ones, to greater or lesser degrees, unfortunately. It's the listening part that needs to be refined. Dosis of spirituality on the caminos have helped me so much there. But, alas, never seems to be enough! Need to recharge, badly :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I also always listen to the 'voice' in my head now.
It speaks for a reason, and if it wasn't meant to be of some help then it wouldn't be there speaking!!

Being spiritual certainly helped me learn to listen, and more importantly TRUST that 'voice'.

I often wonder what great things, or advice I missed in the days when I didn't listen :roll:

I think that as we age we learn to listen more and more to that "voice" inside, what some may refer to as the "child within," "the voice of experience," I don't know. It has taken me such a long time to learn to listen to it, it'll probably take me longer as I'm on this pilgrimage on earth, to do it better and better. For me it's the "interference," not paying attention to that "voice," not tuning into that sense of perception and/or intuition, not trusting it, that sometimes I've ignored, and almost always, has turned out to be right, that I need to work on, among other things. Really, "live and learn." xm, best 8) .

Angels on the Camino

If there are voices, guides giving messages, then I did not hear a warning last July. I set off from Villarcâzar de Sirga in sweltering heat and due to personal suffering and my state of mind, just kept walking. After 35 km I staggered through the small village of Moratinos, probably in the first stages of heat stroke.

A man who was amazingly English offered me a drink, took me to the shade and his American wife joined us. It was Patrick and Rebekah and their kindness surely saved me. They put my elbows in a bowl of chilled water and my energy and sanity returned.

I reached San Nicolas de Real Camino I had foolishly walked 38 km in total that day under the sweltering unforgiving sun.

The situation seemed so surreal that I when I reflected on their help I felt sure that it felt like Angels helping me, or Jesus helping me through the love and care of others. It was like they were sent to help me.

I will once more pass this way next week and hope to see Patrick and Rebekah again and maybe have a coffee or beer with them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was once told by someone very special (you know who you are! (rioja)), that there are Angels and Guides on the Camino x

I remain sure that there are, and I pray that they watch over you again during this latest stage of your journey.

The funny (for lack of a better adjective) thing is that since we've been speaking about the voice inside, I've regained an awareness of it. And is it working :!: In a big sense for me it means regaining a portion of my Caminos. Just a thought. Best, xm 8)

MORATINOS

Met up with Patrick and Rebekah. I walked through Moratinos and Patrick was with his dog at exactly the same spot I saw him last July. He said it was totally unusual for him to be there as they had just come back from 2 days away and he was walking their dog. I do not know where their house is and he took me there and we had a talk about all that had happened since our meeting. We spoke about Angels on the Camino. They said it was a complete coincidence that I should find them, I replied that there are no such things as coincidences, only moments that are meant to be.

Great to see them again

Love the house too, really rustic

there are no such things as coincidences, only moments that are meant to be.

So true.

Best,

xm 8)

PS: Is there such a thing as destiny? If so, what is it?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Destiny

Hola XM

Destiny is the path we walk on, our lifetime pilgrimage.

By walking on the Camino it is a similar pathway, and we really discover who we are and our role on this planet.

It teaches you to be really tolerant of our fellow human beings, even the snorers and plastic bag noises at some ungodly hour this morning.

It teaches us to be open, a French woman last night told me she thought the Camino was only for practising catholics. Well I told her it was for everyone. That is narrow minded.

Ok, I am off, it is a beautiful morning as I head to Sahagun and beyond, who knows where I will stay tonight. Just enjoy the day, the peace and beauty, the wild flowers and birdsong.

Buen camino to all

Just enjoy the day, the peace and beauty, the wild flowers and birdsong.

James, I concur re: the lessons we (may) learn as a result of experiencing the Camino. The thing is to put them into action, praxis, once we're back in our cotidian "reality." I believe that with every Camino, insight (may) establishes itself more in a continuing and endless spiritual evolution. Please keep sharing ur thoughts. Buen Camino, peregrino. xm 8)

Practising Catholic? You'd think they would have mastered it by now!

If you meet her again do ask her about the dolmens ... seems to have been a path there for longer than christianity has been around...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
dolmenns: Dolmen ...a type of single-chamber megalithic tomb, usually consisting of three or more upright stones (megaliths) supporting a large flat horizontal capstone (table). Most date from the early Neolithic period in Britain (4000 BC to 3000 BC)...Megalithic tombs are found...Dolmens were viewed as portals to the other side....In Spain dolmens can be found in Galicia (such as Axeitos...)...For thousand years people have been always bent for unknown, mysterious things, they have been traveling to novel, far-away countries...visiting places of power... Many folklore and historical sources tell us that about 5 to 10 thousand years ago there was a great Vedic civilization prospering and flourishing all over the Earth. Indian Vedas and places of power named dolmens are ..."

Hmm...good info, thanks. Did not know the term "dolmen," + related subjects.

Also, interesting (bookmarked) link: http://www.spaceoflove.com/dolm_tour.htm

karmicallyclose said:
I was once told by someone very special (you know who you are! (rioja)), that there are Angels and Guides on the Camino

Two weeks before walking I stepped barefoot on a hot coal during a cookout in my backyard. I burned the ball of my foot and a couple of my toes pretty good. You could say that the walking hurt a bit. My wife and I starting in Leon but had to skip from Astorga to Sarria to due illness (hers) and injury (mine).

In Ferriros (sp? - between Sarria and Portomarin) we stopped at a small bar with adjoining albergue. Sitting outside, I took off my shoes to let my feet breathe. Up walks a man I have never seen in my life. He sits down across from me, looks at my foot, makes a troubled face, and then reaches in his kit for a small bottle of medicine which he then smears over my wounds.

And that is how I met Ramon, who became our walking companion for the next several days.

Are there angels on the Camino? Yes. Undeniably yes.

missing stick

I was sorry to hear about someone losing their precious cherished stick at Santiago bus station.

Here is a happier story about the same situation of losing a stick.

On phoning my sister Elizabeth from a call box a couple of miles from the town of Astorga I found a pilgrim’s stick which someone had lost. These sticks become like friends to the pilgrim and they carve them with the names of places they’ve passed through. The stick I held was well carved and obviously well-used. I felt so sad for the person who’d lost it that I took it with me and asked everyone at the St Javier Hostel in Astorga if they’d lost a stick or knew of anyone who had. I took the stick with me to the Cathedral and prayed and then set out for Astorga’s other hostel to continue the search. On the way, I passed and felt drawn into a beautiful church, St Bartholomew’s, and prayed for some time. As I walked out and was looking at some Roman mosaics a young woman ran up to me in tears; here, at last was the owner of the stick; Maria-Carmen from Albacete. She had been in tears all day. I told her that, if anything was, here was proof of the power of prayer. It was just as significant for me to return to stick as it was important for her to have it returned to her. We both celebrated the remarkable reunion in a nearby bar toasting the event with cold refreshing ‘San Miguel’ beer. Perhaps I was her Angel?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This post went up well before I walked my own Camino. I would have to say that I met many angels along the way- though all in human guise. It is the simple things that people do sometimes that make such a difference, sometimes as simple as a smile.

I think the Bishop in Le Puy is an angel, regularly the one who gives the pilgrim blessings in the mornings in the Cathedral in Le Puy: lapsed Catholic I may be, but I am certain I walked under the protection of that blessing all the way to Santiago.

There were those who gave warm welcomes in so many gites and albergues- after a long day of walking, such welcomes brought a chance to relax and gain new energy for the next day of walking.

There were those I walked with, for a few minutes, days, or sometimes longer. There were the ladies from St Etienne who kept me company at the evening meal so I wouldn't feel lost as the only English speaker. There were the two lovely ladies in Estaing who bought me a hot chocolate when tears flowed: I had taken a rest day with 'blisters', and at that point it was hard to believe I was ever going to reach Santiago. They will never know how precious their company was. There were the Irish guys who shared dinner with me in Los Arcos after a day of walking I had found difficult for no apparent reason, and the masseur there who massaged my feet and legs- and who probably pinpointed my problem of the day when he said I was dehydrated and needed to drink more.... There was Francis who told me in Santiago that I was a 'flower of the Camino'.

Many many angels.
Margaret

It's great to see this post up again as these are just the type of stories I was asking for whyn I posted looking for "ghost" stories: happenings on the Camino.

I had an odd experience on the Camino Aragones not far from Ruesta in 2000. I had a heavy heart and walked perhaps a little too far with only a little water left. It was hot. I was tired and questioning existence! Three animals helped boost my spirit that day. The first was a blue butterfly who, seemingly attracted by the colour of my pack, stayed hovering around it for a good three kilometers. The second was a flock of hawks (what's the collective term for hawks?) which would settle down on the path in front of me, "wait", fly up a little as I got within 10 meters or so, and then re-group again about the same distance as before. This too went on for a good 2 kilometers. I have often considered the hawk as my "totem". The last was a little fox who seemed to be shadowing me for about a kilometer.

An earlier poster mentioned field mice as "angels". Who knows? I believe almost anything that happens on the Camino!
Tracy Saunders (who hasn't been into the Xmas sherry!)
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com

I agree with everyone that it is nice to see the fond memories that this thread generated.

I was in La Coruña last January and my finacé and I were trying to find the bus to the Roman lighthouse (tour de Hercules).

A kind woman appeared out of nowhere and gave us directions to the bus stop, near the bingo. As we went that way once more we got a bit lost and once more she seemed to appear and once more show us the way.

When we got to the bingo there were differnet bus stops which was quite confusing and hey presto once more she was there to show us the number and exact position where the bus was.

Then it arrived and she told the driver where we wanted to go.

As we got on the bus, we joked that she was an angel. Then we both felt quite emotional as it really seemed that she was.

I know this is not camino related but I had just completed the re-encatment march from Astorga to La Coruña, most of it on the camino francès.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi

I have been following the forum for a number of years and some of the blogs associated with it. I see some real life angels in Sil, Rebekah, Kiwi Nomad, Ivar and the other moderators. Always there, providing advice to current and would be pilgrims. Rebekah and Paddy open their home to pilgrims in their tiny town of Moratinos. Surely these deeds could be termed angelic. Where would we all be if there were not people to encourage and guide us on the Way? Thank you all.

Cheers Rose Louise

There were several 'angels' on my caminos...

One was the Angel who had a house in the middle of nowhere on the VDLP, when we were starving for water. He saw us looking for water in the dry stream bed, invited us to his modest one-room home, and gave us cold water and homemade gazpacho and a nice rest.

Another were the two Angels who saw us trying to get water from a "dry" fountain. They showed us how to move aside the metal plate and turn on the water...

Then another Angel called us to her window and handed us ice cold water from her refrigerator, and gave me a fan just like the one I had ruined that very morning.. you can read this story on my blog.

Another Angel was a little man selling the ugliest, tiniest apples I'd ever seen. I took a chance, stopped and talked to him and bought some of his apples. They were the SWEETEST, most refreshing fruit we'd ever tasted, and gave us the strength to continue our walk. He also told us wonderful stories of his travels as a young man.

There were the three fireman Angels who drove to town and brought us bottles of water when we were stuck on the VDLP in a remote situation where the albergue was CLOSED and the fountain was DRY after a very long, hot walk.

The Priest who gave us a special private Pilgrim's Mass and invited us down into the basement of the Church to see the treasures hidden there...

The Czech Priest who said Mass in the backyard of the albergue when the Benedictines were "on holiday" and there was nobody to say Mass for us.

The lovely pilgrim gentleman who brought me a cup of hot chocolate when I arrived in Santo Domingo, wet and frozen, and the albergue was closed for another 3 hours.

The hospitalera who arranged private lodgings for us when bedbugs were found in her albergue.

So many more, I could just go on and on... the Camino is alive with Angels!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This time two years ago I was walking, and met many angels along the way. But today, quite unexpectedly, another Camino Angel came to visit me.

Before I left for Le-Puy-en-Velay, I had contact with quite a few people on this forum, who patiently answered all my questions, and never ever made me feel they were 'silly' worries that I had.
One of those people was an Australian woman with whom I had several long telephone conversations. (At certain times of day/week we can telephone Australia quite cheaply from New Zealand.)
Today I arrived home to find an unexpected gift in my mailbox. This generous pilgrim has sent me a set of cards she has made, with photos she has taken, together with pilgrim quotes of all kinds. I sit here at my desk writing this, truly humbled by this wonderful gift. An angel of the Camino, even when I have long returned home. (And I will be phoning her across the Tasman this evening!)
Margaret

Some of you may know that Patrick took The World´s Shortest Camino a couple of weeks ago. He walked 9 km., Tardajos to Hornillos, where he learned there were no beds anywhere, and little prospect of any ahead. The town was packed, rain was falling, everyone was crabby, esp. Patrick. So he phoned me up to come and rescue him. And I did.

A week later, a package comes in the mail from the Bar Manolo in Hornillos. It´s a battered old paperback book Patrick evidently left behind on the table there, and hadn´t even missed. We have no idea how the sender knew who Paddy was, or where to send the book -- Hornillos is well outside our district.

I stopped in at Hornillos this week to say thanks to the person on the return address, and repay the postage. No one at Bar Manolo knows anyone by that name.

Oooh. One wonders!

Our 'angels' this year were a large cow and a surly Spanish 'cowboy' on a horse! We were sheltering under a lean to roof outside a church some where after Samos, looking at two yellow arrows on the road, pointing two ways, having a lunch break and not a clue on the notice board, or in Brierly as to which way to go. It was down to a toss of a coin in the pouring rain when suddenly out from the sideroad came a cow followed by the 'cowboy' A quick few garbled words in spanish from me and he indicated the lower route. At least we had some guidance. We took the lower route and it was wet and mucky but it was to say the least coincidental that they came along just when I was beginning to dispair as to which road to take.

Our angels were Luis and Sofia, hospitaleros in San Vicente de la Barquera, at La Galeon Albergue. Below they are depicted as saints, but they could just as well have been angels. (The winged beings in the top of the picture are the elderly priest who dropped in to say grace at the evening meal and dispense rosary beads, and the cat who liked to sleep on the register.)

Attachments

• DSCF0631scaled.JPG
    DSCF0631scaled.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 1,158
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's a funny thing...
I've been a bit "away" from the Camino in the last few weeks. Even my sequel has been put on hold. Some of the reasons have been good ones (a visit from an old friend from Canada, and of course, the safe but somewhat traumatic early arrival of my tiny perfect granddaughter); some not so good: gastro-entreritis, broken ribs, too much pressure from frantic students and clients while I am trying to recuperate. But...
I have just taken a really good look at the drawing from Bridget and Peter, and somehow it managed to encapsulate all the feeling from the Camino that I have loved and missed.
Ojalá (God willing), I'll be walking from Santiago to Fisterre and Muxia this July, and I've also been asked to do some book promotion at venues along the Camino Frances, so maybe this will be the year that I finally get to meet Rebekah and Patrick.
This thread, if anything, brings together that love of the Camino that so many of us keep with us forever.
Best to all,
Tracy
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com
(for stuff on history of the Camino, my diary from the Portuguese last year, and, of course, that tiny, perfect baby picture!)

Congratulations - abuela! She is perfect - a perfect little peregrina!

I love the painting of Luis and Sofia. They sure are a special pair--their hospitality and kindness was a highlight of the Camino del Norte. What a great atmosphere they create for weary pilgrims. Thanks for sharing your artwork--lovely.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
From the New York Times travel section:
Salvation in Spain

A blizzard of apple blossoms whirled around me, the sun warmed the dew away, a solitary cow munched away beside me and I started to cry. An hour earlier I had checked my bank balance: 14 cents. Three euros in my pocket, and 14 cents in my account. I had no credit card and it was the Saturday before a public holiday in the United States so it would be three days until frantic phone calls to family stateside would lead to money in my bank.

I was a pilgrim on the Camino de Santiago in Bierzo, in northern Spain. I’d been walking the ancient path for three weeks, frugally spending along the way, but a series of travel mishaps had seriously compromised my financial situation. I had $1,000 worth of technology and hiking equipment, yet no money for anything more than a few apples, yogurt and bread.

Then Sharon appeared, a Canadian pilgrim with whom I’d walked a few days earlier. She looked at me, dropped her pack, and asked what was wrong. I fessed up to my embarrassing situation and she handed me 20 euros. “Don’t even think about paying me back,” she called out as she walked down the road.

Twenty euros! That would be several days of food. And I could always volunteer to clean the bathrooms at the pilgrim hostels along the way in exchange for a bunk. I stood up and started down the Camino, feeling cautiously hopeful.

After several hours of walking, I arrived at Villafranca del Bierzo, a town nestled in a deep valley surrounded by vineyards. The pilgrims’ hostel, Phoenix, was constructed on the same ground that held a hostel for pilgrims when the pilgrimage was in its heyday, around A.D. 1000. I ventured up to the old man with calming blue eyes and a soulful presence that told me he belonged there. I gushed my story, explaining that I had only 20 euros to last me for three days, and if I could possibly stay and do chores instead of pay?

He smiled at me, took me in his arms, and said, in Spanish, “Daughter, you don’t need to pay to stay in your own home.”
ANJULI GRANTHAM
Columbia, S.C.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back