• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anglican Albergues?

neverlost4good

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2015
I was just wondering if there were any albergues or pensions that were not Catholic along the Camino that offered vesper services and/or blessings? I will take a blessing from anyone, but specifically, I was wondering if the Confraternity of St. James has representation there? In a pilgrim's mass, I would not be able to receive communion, as I am not Catholic. But I would love to partake of communion en route.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you are Anglican/Episcopalian, and you believe in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist, you are free to receive Communion in the Catholic church, if no Anglican service is available. CSJ has a presence on the Camino, but it is not an Anglican organization.

I am Anglican. My house is not an official albergue, but it was blessed by the Canon Pastor of Canterbury Cathedral when we moved in! We host pilgrims a couple at a time, and I privately observe Morning or Evening Prayer each day. I can give you a lovely blessing. I know how, although I do not claim to be an official minister. Feel free to stop when you get to Moratinos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you! I will plan on visiting you: this is a spiritual journey for me, I appreciate your kind reply! See you in...however many days it takes me to walk from SJPD. :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Rebecca to Rebecca, over:

I'm looking for your town on my Brierley Guide. What page are you? Just kidding....what town are you closest to?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
ask the hospitalero.They surely know some precedent, and the local traditions.

And this is exactly what's wrong with these conversations. The only authority on Catholic Church matters is (God speaking through) the Magisterium of Catholic Church. Individual opinions have no baring on things so please, leave them out of it.

(Edited to include the quote properly)

True, but almost no one cares!

I beg to differ.

Imagine for a second you visit an old friend. Someone you have not seen in a loooong time. They invite you to dinner at their house and you agree to the visit. As soon as you enter the house you notice the picture of a handsome young man and casually say "Its that your son? What a handsome young man!" With tears in their his your friend explains that in fact this is his deceased son, lost in a horrible car accident, 10 years back. It is obvious that this event, is still raw in your friends heart and mind. All of the sudden your friend offers to show you his bed room explaining that in ten years he has not moved anything. He opens the room and you can see that in fact the room is in perfect order as if its occupant just left it this morning and not ten years ago.

Now imagine how your friend would feel if all of the sudden you enter the room jump in the bed and say "Well since your son has been dead for ten years it is I'm sure he will not mind, after all he is NOT coming back right?! You know..you should just get over it. How about you let me take a nap on this bed and we talk over that dinner you promised when I awake?"

Can you imagine your friends feelings and reaction?

This is what "the ones who care" feel when a non Catholic takes the Eucharist lightly.

I hope this helps.

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"
DHS

I hope this helps.
No. I don't take the Eucharist!

I have seen thousands of pilgrims receive Eucharist without any screening from the priest, who may care less than you do. I am aware of the rules. They were explained very carefully to me by the Queen's Chaplain. For everyone who cares as much as you do, I suspect there are a hundred who do not, thus my opinion that most do not care. Read the now-closed thread referenced above, and you can get a feel for the intensity of emotion on the issue. I wish you a life without disappointment.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have, asked a similar question to you earlier this year before our second Frances in May-July. For us the camino is spiritual/religious, and as an Anglican I felt incomplete having never been able to take communion with my Roman Catholic brothers and sisters. I recieved excelent advice from Rebekah and Falcon and others, however I felt unable to partake of the Eucharist incase it would offend the beliefs of the idividual priest, which is not always the same as his bishop. When we arrived in Santiago we knew that the Eucharist was more open, having met the Irish celibrant the day before and talked it through with him I was pleased, honoured, privilaged and delighted to read the Psalm at the English service and take communion with those gathered there, But my saddness was not finding Rebekah's house on the Way, maybe next time.

I had a conversation with one-in-the-know on this topic in Santiago in October, and I was informed that the Spanish bishops are well aware of the presence of many non-RC Christian pilgrims and the Camino, and priests are instructed to be generous in the interpretation of the canon (rule) on this.

-I appreciate all the help, especially the link that indicated that I would be welcome if I wanted to partake. I respect my Catholic roots, and I cherish partaking with others in communion, so I feel that once again, the Camino will provide for me to search and listen, and be blessed. What a wonderful opportunity we all have (or have had): to be able to walk a path of such history and soul-searching in this sometimes violent world. To walk in peace. To seek the light within and without. I hope that I can find an Alberque now where I can sit outside and look at the stars. We are all walking together. We hear and see the truth in different perspectives. I look forward to sharing a glass with my new family soon.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Once again...this subject has crossed the line of forum rules regarding discussion of religion.
Falcon has posted a link to a previous discussion (closed).
There is not much to be gained by going down this road again.

The OP asked if there were Anglican Services offered along the Camino.
It would be great if anyone could provide her with further information on that specific subject.

I was just wondering if there were any albergues or pensions that were not Catholic along the Camino that offered vesper services and/or blessings? I will take a blessing from anyone, but specifically, I was wondering if the Confraternity of St. James has representation there? In a pilgrim's mass, I would not be able to receive communion, as I am not Catholic. But I would love to partake of communion en route.
Hello young lady!
Let me assure you that, as an Anglican, you will be welcome to receive communion in Catholic churches along the camino.
You may also find ex-pat communities where Anglican churches exist. I started three such churches on the east coast where I was assistant pastor.
I once asked my local RC church if I might receive Communion: the priest asked what denomination I was. I told him Anglican. He raised two forefingers and held them together. "Anglican" he said "and Roman Catholic ... mismo [the same]."
Remember, in Spain they did not suffer the atrocities of the Reformation.
Relax. Enjoy the Holy Mass wherever you wish. Take Communion and be blessed.
And I send you blessings from Suffolk in England .....

From Wikipedia, so remember the source! It looks like twenty parishes in Spain. None is obviously along the Camino Frances, but the exact locations are not mentioned. There is the phrase It is in full communion with the Old Catholic Churches which would support the concept that you are welcome to take communion in the Catholic churches.

The Spanish Reformed Episcopal Church or IERE (Spanish: Iglesia Española Reformada Episcopal) is the church of the Anglican Communion in Spain.

Organisation

The IERE has a democratic, synodical (parliamentary) polity. The Synod is the highest authority in the Church; the laity and clergy have equal representation in it. The parishes are represented by one cleric and by one lay person. The Synod elects the Standing Committee, which governs the Church between synods. The IERE is not a Church with an episcopal government, like the Roman Catholic Church, but is a synodical Church governed by a bishop in synod. The bishop and the synod are required to work together in close co-operation. The current diocesan bishop is the Rt Revd Carlos Lopez Lozano.

The Church is divided for administrative purposes into three zones: Catalonia, Levant, and Balearic Islands; Andalusia and Canary Islands; Centre and Northern Spain. As of 2001, the IERE had one diocese and 22 licensed priests (one woman) serving 20 parishes, in Salamanca, Valencia, Valladolid, Seville, Oviedo, Tarragona, Murcia, Alicante, and Madrid.

Affiliations
The IERE is the representative of the Anglican Communion in Spain. It belongs to the Federation of Evangelical Religious Entities of Spain (FEREDE) and is member of the World Council of Churches and the Conference of European Churches. It is in full communion with the Old Catholic Churches as well as being part of the Porvoo Communion with the Scandinavian Lutheran churches.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Diligent searching has found an IERE congregation on the Francese, in Pamplona, but they have no posted service times--- the contact is D. Javier Ballaz at javierballaz@hotmail.com (tel 696409544). If one is on the de la Plata, there is a church in Salamanca and, if on the del Norte, one in Bilbao. On the Primitivo, there is a congregation in the northern suburbs of Oviedo. For those on the Cami de San Jaume, my contact (who has strong opinions on this) tells me Saint George's in Barcelona is not recognizably Anglican, but more of a pan-Protestant evangelical congregation for English expatriates-- but there is also an IERE parish.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.