• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anglican Chaplaincy in Santiago

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
There have been over time many forum threads regarding this, so I am very happy to be able to announce here on this forum publicly and in detail the “Seasonal, Anglican-led, Camino Chaplaincy of the Church of England (Diocese in Europe)” ;-) See also http://egeria.house/chaplaincy/
Seasonal - Because, at least this year, this chaplaincy will only be offering its services during May/June and September/October 2018. Depending on how this pilot project works out, offers will be expanded in the years to come.

Anglican-led - Because the project originated among members of the Church of England, but ALL are welcome, both as visitors and as volunteers.

Camino - Because our main focus is on pilgrims, but the door is equally open to other visitors to Santiago and expats that live in the area.

Church of England (Diocese in Europe) – That is the ecclesiastical jurisdiction we operate under, or, in simpler words, the Anglican bishop in Europe, his suffragan bishop and staff will keep us in line ;-) And yes, the archbishop of Santiago knows of this project.

The first priest serving in this pilot project is the Revd Liska Stefko from Toronto (Anglican Church of Canada) who works both in parish ministry and as Pastoral Minister to L'Arche, see www.larche.org. She has walked her first Camino in 2014 and gives part of her sabbatical to our project.

@Alan Pearce is known by many here as a fellow pilgrim, hospitalero in Rabanal/Miraz and volunteer in several Camino projects. A retired horticulturist and a licensed lay minister (lay reader) in the Anglican Church of Australia for the last 25 years, he has walked his first Camino in 2008.

These two are the first, but several others will follow in their foot steps and I will introduce them here when the time comes.

What we offer

During the first year of the chaplaincy (13th May – 27th June 2018 // 2nd September - 23rd October 2018) there will be an Eucharist every Sunday and a more informal Eucharist every Wednesday.

The Sunday Eucharist will take place at 10:00 a.m. at the Parador Hotel (Hostal dos Reis Catolicos) here in Santiago. The hotel is giving us the free use of the lovely “Sala (salon) San Marcos” and the director told us “we are happy to do this for you, as this building has such a long history of caring for pilgrims”.

During the week there will be several events at Egeria House where I live in and where the volunteers are also staying during the project:

MMMap_cropped.jpg

Open Breakfast Door - As we volunteers need to breakfast anyway, we will keep the door open from Monday to Friday from 08:00 – 09:30 to share with the pilgrims that come by what we have ourselves for breakfast. There is no program per se, just good old fashioned practical hospitality.

The door will be also open each weekday afternoon from 15:00 – 18:00 (Wednesdays longer). Most of the time we simply offer a “drop-in, have a cup/glass of something and a chat with us about your Camino or whatever you like to chat about”.

At 17:00 each weekday we then invite people to join us for a “Journey Prayer” – a form of reflection about the Camino and its impact on us all. This Journey Prayer will take different forms depending on who is present.

On Wednesday we invite you to an informal Eucharist “around the table” followed by a simple, shared meal. Which brings me to a text that has spoken a lot to us, the members of the “starting team”:

“We saw a stranger yesterday.
We put food in the eating place,
Drink in the drinking place,
music in the listening place.
And with the sacred name of the triune God
He blessed us and our house,
Our cattle and our dear ones.
As the lark says in her song:
Often, often, often, goes the Christ
In the stranger’s guise.”​

If you are interested in joining us as a volunteer, we are still looking for lay volunteers for September/early October 2018, but we already have “priestly coverage” for the whole time of the project in 2018. If you like to volunteer in either position in 2019, or in the following years, or if you simply want to keep up to date with this new chaplaincy and what it offers, more details here: http://egeria.house/chaplaincy/ All volunteers need to have walked at least one Camino!

The above link is also the best one to share with your local Camino association, Facebook group and the like, if you want to help to get the word out.

And obviously we are very grateful for any prayer, good thoughts/wishes and general expressions of support.

One last word: The forum rules here allow for exchange of information regarding “religious matters” (and yes, @ivar has approved the posting of this announcement) but not for religious discussions, as these often end in fights.

All comments regarding more information/clarifications of what I wrote and similar, are very welcome, but please lets not get into any theological or other rhetoric! If you have any questions/concerns that you think might be “stretching these rules”, feel free to contact me via PM or http://egeria.house/contact

Buen Camino and hoping to seeing you soon in Santiago, SY

PS Whilst I am making this announcement and am so a bit more “visible” here on the forum, please bear in mind that I am just a small part of a much larger team. Everybody else brings to this projects his or her gifts and as I am a “known forum addict” this announcement fell naturally in my lap ;-)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So pleased about this! I dearly missed the Eucharist during my camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will be with a group primarily from St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Wilmington, NC from September 11 through September 27. This group will hike from Leon to Santiago. We will hold services along the way. Any and all walking the way is invited to join us. We hope to join the Wednesday Eucharist on September 26.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will be with a group primarily from St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Wilmington, NC from September 11 through September 27. This group will hike from Leon to Santiago. We will hold services along the way. Any and all walking the way is invited to join us. We hope to join the Wednesday Eucharist on September 26.

Just give me a short warning beforehand and tell me how big your group is ;-) to make sure that I have enough chairs and food in the house ;-) BC SY

We will be about 15 and we would like to bring food and wine (if appropriate). We should arrive on the 25th. Should I email you when we arrive in Santiago? Blessings!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes please, email me ideally a few days before you arrive and food and wine is always appropriate! BC SY

This is great. Many thanks to all who have done the organising.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There have been over time many forum threads regarding this, so I am very happy to be able to announce here on this forum publicly and in detail the “Seasonal, Anglican-led, Camino Chaplaincy of the Church of England (Diocese in Europe)” ;-) See also http://egeria.house/chaplaincy/
Seasonal - Because, at least this year, this chaplaincy will only be offering its services during May/June and September/October 2018. Depending on how this pilot project works out, offers will be expanded in the years to come.

Anglican-led - Because the project originated among members of the Church of England, but ALL are welcome, both as visitors and as volunteers.

Camino - Because our main focus is on pilgrims, but the door is equally open to other visitors to Santiago and expats that live in the area.

Church of England (Diocese in Europe) – That is the ecclesiastical jurisdiction we operate under, or, in simpler words, the Anglican bishop in Europe, his suffragan bishop and staff will keep us in line ;-) And yes, the archbishop of Santiago knows of this project.

The first priest serving in this pilot project is the Revd Liska Stefko from Toronto (Anglican Church of Canada) who works both in parish ministry and as Pastoral Minister to L'Arche, see www.larche.org. She has walked her first Camino in 2014 and gives part of her sabbatical to our project.

@Alan Pearce is known by many here as a fellow pilgrim, hospitalero in Rabanal/Miraz and volunteer in several Camino projects. A retired horticulturist and a licensed lay minister (lay reader) in the Anglican Church of Australia for the last 25 years, he has walked his first Camino in 2008.

These two are the first, but several others will follow in their foot steps and I will introduce them here when the time comes.

What we offer

During the first year of the chaplaincy (13th May – 27th June 2018 // 2nd September - 23rd October 2018) there will be an Eucharist every Sunday and a more informal Eucharist every Wednesday.

The Sunday Eucharist will take place at 10:00 a.m. at the Parador Hotel (Hostal dos Reis Catolicos) here in Santiago. The hotel is giving us the free use of the lovely “Sala (salon) San Marcos” and the director told us “we are happy to do this for you, as this building has such a long history of caring for pilgrims”.

During the week there will be several events at Egeria House where I live in and where the volunteers are also staying during the project:

View attachment 42320

Open Breakfast Door - As we volunteers need to breakfast anyway, we will keep the door open from Monday to Friday from 08:00 – 09:30 to share with the pilgrims that come by what we have ourselves for breakfast. There is no program per se, just good old fashioned practical hospitality.

The door will be also open each weekday afternoon from 15:00 – 18:00 (Wednesdays longer). Most of the time we simply offer a “drop-in, have a cup/glass of something and a chat with us about your Camino or whatever you like to chat about”.

At 17:00 each weekday we then invite people to join us for a “Journey Prayer” – a form of reflection about the Camino and its impact on us all. This Journey Prayer will take different forms depending on who is present.

On Wednesday we invite you to an informal Eucharist “around the table” followed by a simple, shared meal. Which brings me to a text that has spoken a lot to us, the members of the “starting team”:

If you are interested in joining us as a volunteer, we are still looking for lay volunteers for September/early October 2018, but we already have “priestly coverage” for the whole time of the project in 2018. If you like to volunteer in either position in 2019, or in the following years, or if you simply want to keep up to date with this new chaplaincy and what it offers, more details here: http://egeria.house/chaplaincy/ All volunteers need to have walked at least one Camino!

The above link is also the best one to share with your local Camino association, Facebook group and the like, if you want to help to get the word out.

And obviously we are very grateful for any prayer, good thoughts/wishes and general expressions of support.

One last word: The forum rules here allow for exchange of information regarding “religious matters” (and yes, @ivar has approved the posting of this announcement) but not for religious discussions, as these often end in fights.

All comments regarding more information/clarifications of what I wrote and similar, are very welcome, but please lets not get into any theological or other rhetoric! If you have any questions/concerns that you think might be “stretching these rules”, feel free to contact me via PM or http://egeria.house/contact

PS Whilst I am making this announcement and am so a bit more “visible” here on the forum, please bear in mind that I am just a small part of a much larger team. Everybody else brings to this projects his or her gifts and as I am a “known forum addict” this announcement fell naturally in my lap ;-)

Great idea. Hope it goes well. It was a great blessing to us when we found an English translation of the mass at Burgos cathedral and could use that on our 2106 Camino Frances journey. We enjoyed the hospitality of the English mass at Santiago at the end our pilgrimage.

The Eucharist in which I participated this past Sunday was one of the most memorable of my life. The little room at the Parador seemed perfect for it. The mix of nationalities and voices in the room was lovely. The sermon was brilliant - the best I've ever heard preached on a Trinity Sunday. Thanks, Sybille and everyone involved in the Anglican Chaplaincy. You gave me a great gift.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi @MinnehonkTom
Thank you again very much for your kind words, we have them passed on to everybody involved ;-) Hope to seeing you again and Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

What we offer

View attachment 42320

What a wonderful new development. I am a licensed lay minister (reader with a Masters in Theology) in the American Episcopal church. But my Camino will end outside of your hours. (About 1 August). If any other events might be available during my time frame, please let me know. I would appreciate a chance to meet with others.

Sandi

What a wonderful new development. I am a licensed lay minister (reader with a Masters in Theology) in the American Episcopal church. But my Camino will end outside of your hours. (About 1 August). If any other events might be available during my time frame, please let me know. I would appreciate a chance to meet with others.

Sandi

Hi @Sandra Smith,

Whilst the Chaplaincy takes a summer break, I am still there! Feel free to drop by at Open House times https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/2018-open-house-forum-meet-up-in-santiago.48513/ for a chat and a glass/cup of something ;-) Buen Camino, SY

PS Updates to Open House times, days when I am not there/available are always posted in one of the last posts in the above linked thread ...

€46,-
That’s wonderful. Maybe you can help with a new wrinkle in my current Camino. I have severe tendinitis in my left shin. I went to hospital today for it to be checked a second time. It’s not improving after 12 days.

The doctor essentially said my walking Camino is over. I’m in León right now. With the change in terrain ahead she warned me against much walking.

It’s my second Camino but my husband and brother’s first. If I choose to just go to Santiago and wait for them, would you have need of a volunteer? Or would you know if the Pilgrim’s office might have a need?

... If I choose to just go to Santiago and wait for them, would you have need of a volunteer? Or would you know if the Pilgrim’s office might have a need?

The Anglican Camino Chaplaincy is on "summer break" until September, so sorry, no need for a volunteer other than myself ;-) But you could always ask @natefaith from Pilgrim House, no idea about Pilgrim Office but ask @t2andreo who is currently volunteering there. And if you are in need of a bed in Santiago ---> PM me ;-)

Buen Camino (walking or stationary), SY

The Anglican Camino Chaplaincy is on "summer break" until September, so sorry, no need for a volunteer other than myself ;-) But you could always ask @natefaith from Pilgrim House, no idea about Pilgrim Office but ask @t2andreo who is currently volunteering there. And if you are in need of a bed in Santiago ---> PM me ;-)

Buen Camino (walking or stationary), SY

We're good with volunteers through mid-November BUT @zolarose you'd of course be welcome to come by and hang out in Pilgrim House (a welcome center for pilgrims in Santiago) as much as you needed to while you were in Santiago.

Hope you feel better soon!
Faith

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So, we are about to re-start! Yesterday the next volunteer priest and his wife have arrived and we are re-starting the chaplaincy this Sunday, 2nd September with a 10:00 Eucharist at the Parador. More info and map here http://egeria.house/chaplaincy/

Hope to see many of you over the coming weeks!

Buen Camino, SY

For those of our forum who are Anglican, three cheers. I hear your comments about missing your communion service. I never 100% got it till I served in San Anton as hospitalera and went to daily mass at the convent, of course in Spanish. And then two weeks walking..more Spanish services. Finally on arrival in SdC, full mass in English brought me to tears. So I can now imagine what it'd be like to miss your church home while on the Camino. This is an fantastic idea. Buen Camino a todo.

For those of our forum who are Anglican, three cheers. I hear your comments about missing your communion service.

I think it is worth a reminder that Anglican sacraments are open to those of many different Christian traditions - not only Anglicans. Although this chaplaincy is being staffed by Anglican priests its services are open to all.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think it is worth a reminder that Anglican sacraments are open to those of many different Christian traditions - not only Anglicans. Although this chaplaincy is being staffed by Anglican priests its services are open to all.

Completely true, as it says on our flyers and other info "ALL are welcome!".

BC SY

The chaplaincy is gently closing the door - until next year! It has been a great experience for all of us involved and hopefully also for the pilgrims that came to visit us for one or more of our events. I hope to write up a bit more over the next few days/weeks about what we did this year and hope to do next year, so keep an eye on http://egeria.house/chaplaincy/ for more information.

Buen Camino, SY

PS Open House will continue to run at least through November Monday to Friday 16:00 to 18:00!

Last edited:
The chaplaincy his gently closing the door - until next year! It has been a great experience for all of us involved and hopefully also for the pilgrims that came to visit us for one or more of our events. I hope to write up a bit more over the next few days/weeks about what we did this year and hope to do next year, so keep an eye on http://egeria.house/chaplaincy/ for more information.

Buen Camino, SY

PS Open House will continue to run at least through November Monday to Friday 16:00 to 18:00!
From reading all the posts, it looks like your service and services are very much appreciated. Enjoy the rest, and long may the service continue.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The chaplaincy is gently closing the door - until next year! It has been a great experience for all of us involved and hopefully also for the pilgrims that came to visit us for one or more of our events. I hope to write up a bit more over the next few days/weeks about what we did this year and hope to do next year, so keep an eye on http://egeria.house/chaplaincy/ for more information.

Buen Camino, SY

Well done Sybille, don't forget to take the wee notice out of the window

Buen Camino, SY

Thank you again for all what you and everyone involved did!
It was nice meeting you again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My thanks to everyone involved in the Anglican Chaplaincy. The worship service I attended back in May was not only the highlight of my Camino but also one of the most memorable worship experiences of my life. It was beautifully simple, profoundly moving, and very spiritual. I mention it to everyone who asks me about the Camino.

If you are going to be in Derby next month it will be sooner than you thought and the other half sends her love

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Unfortunately I can't make it to the meeting in Derby, give my love to the other half also and hugs to you both! BC SY

Unfortunately I can't make it to the meeting in Derby, give my love to the other half also and hugs to you both! BC SY
Sorry to hear that Sybille, as to the next year bit that will depend on others, not us. However one way or another we will there at some point. We talked over breakfast this morning about a St Jean to Santiago in spring of 2020 that is of course so long as our springs are there in 2020 God bless Both Bits

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Actually I only organised the access to the wood saw - it was provided by Pilgrim House ;-) But yes, we/I try to help pilgrims with whatever they need - spiritual or practical - I/we just try to find a solution ;-) BC SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back