• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anglican Chaplains and Services at Santiago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013 - 2018 , Pilgrim Office volunteer 2014 - 2022
All:

I came across this in my daily reading. I know the people personally working to make this a reality for our Anglican / Episcopalian friends. So, I thought the forum members might like to see it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...e-boom-prompts-church-england-send-chaplains/

For reference. I believe that Anglican services will be held in a salon at the Parador / Hostal dos Reis Católicos. That's the fancy place on the North side of Plaza Obradoiro that was originally the Pilgrims' hostal / hospice.

SYates has all the details. I was with her, and the first Anglican priest, the referenced woman priest from Canada. Wonderful young lady. So, she (Sybil) will likely weigh in here. Kudos to her and those assisting her.

Hope this helps.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi t2andreo

You are faster then we are ;-) Yes, the information in the article is correct and we actually planned to make a proper announcement in a few days including times, dates and places of services offered. So could everybody just be a tiny wee bit more patient until we have done the last fine tuning on details?

Thanks a lot and greetings from Santiago, SY

Good to see you popped in here Sybille to give us the finer details.
Looking forward to your proper and personal announcement and in the meantime good luck with the organisation.
Sometimes patience makes the goal even more worthwile..;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
All:

I came across this in my daily reading. I know the people personally working to make this a reality for our Anglican / Episcopalian friends. So, I thought the forum members might like to see it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...e-boom-prompts-church-england-send-chaplains/

For reference. I believe that Anglican services will be held in a salon at the Parador / Hostal dos Reis Católicos. That's the fancy place on the North side of Plaza Obradoiro that was originally the Pilgrims' hostal / hospice.

SYates has all the details. I was with her, and the first Anglican priest, the referenced woman priest from Canada. Wonderful young lady. So, she (Sybil) will likely weigh in here. Kudos to her and those assisting her.

Hope this helps.
Tom , in my honest opinion you had to wait I think with bringing out the article before Sybille . But who am I .

Wish you well , Peter .

The Telegraph printed the article. I only reported it, so the forum members could share it. But, I could not do so without giving Sybil due credit. She really was the moving force on the ground locally that pulled the entire endeavor together.

I regret if I have goofed... Sybil, I apologize if I caused problems. It would not be my first "senior moment..."

On the other hand, I did help to build interest. That, I suppose is a good thing. After all, it is said that all publicity is good publicity...

It will all work out...

I was/am just one of a rather large team, both here in Santiago and in the UK, nobody could pull off something like this single handed. And no harm done, if it wouldn't have been Tom that had found the article, somebody else would have and posted it! So, please give me a couple of days and there will be more information available. The first two volunteers have arrived, but have gone "walkies" over the weekend ;-) When everybody is back, we give the last touches to wording etc and then you all have a text/info available that you can help promote in forums, on FB and whatever social media or real life channels you can think of. BC SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I write as an Anglican of more than 60 years active (and continuing).

I wish this venture well and may it have support long onto the future.

One aspect that may be a factor is the form and style used for services. With so many provincial prayer books in English, all with significant differences in both form and style finding a via media will be interesting.

A form that I encountered in English cathedrals (eg Salislbury several years ago) on weekdays was to start with Morning (or Evening) Prayer and after the readings for the day and Gospel Canticle morph into a Eucharist starting with Prayers of the People.

Having a wife of Roman Catholic adherence I have, fortunately, been exposed to the that form and style for Eucharist/Mass around the world expressed in a consistent manner. And this allowed us to fully participate, offering responses in English regardless of the local language.

I congratulate those behind this initiative.

Kia ora (thank you, be well)

One aspect that may be a factor is the form and style used for services. With so many provincial prayer books in English, all with significant differences in both form and style finding a via media will be interesting.

One of the great strengths - and occasional frustrations - of Anglicanism is its enormous diversity in worship and practice. Even within one national church or province. I think that each priest who serves as a chaplain will bring something of his or her own tradition and personal experience to offer. That can be untidy but also a joy!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a question, so this probs isn't the right place, but I will throw it out there....for complicated family reasons I was never baptised. Is there any chance that after walking the Camino I could arrange for a baptism in the Anglican tradition? Yes I could do this here at home but it would be a beautiful culmination to the Camino!

I have a question, so this probs isn't the right place, but I will throw it out there....for complicated family reasons I was never baptised. Is there any chance that after walking the Camino I could arrange for a baptism in the Anglican tradition? Yes I could do this here at home but it would be a beautiful culmination to the Camino!

Hi @holhum, can you please send me your email address via a private message here? I think such a conversation would be a bit too complicated and personal for a public forum. Also, can you tell me in the PM from which part of the world you are and when and for how long you will be, roughly, in Santiago? Buen Camino, SY

Hi everybody, the basic program stands now and the details can be found here: http://egeria.house/chaplaincy/. Give me a bit more time and I will add the bios and pics of the current chaplain/volunteers and the like ;-) BC SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back