• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anglican Led Ecumenical Chaplaincy in Santiago

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
The Camino Chaplaincy has announced the development of a new, inclusive Anglican led ministry for pilgrims arriving in Santiago as the third and final part of its strategic plan.

The Chaplaincy piloted the first organised Welcome Service for pilgrims in Santiago which is now funded permanently by the Pilgrims’ Office. The Chaplaincy then went on to provide daily RC Mass in English in the Cathedral for three years. This is now permanently provided by a priest on the staff of the Cathedral who improved his language skills sufficiently in English through participating in the three year pilot.

The Anglican Led Ecumenical Chaplaincy will run for a 12 week pilot period in 2018 and will provide support, prayer and Mass for people of all faiths and everyone searching for deeper spiritual meaning in their lives.

This new initiative is supported by the Anglican Diocese in Europe and has been approved by Bishop David Hamid.

The ministry will be developed and directed by a Steering Committee chaired by the Rev Alasdair Kay. Other members include:

Rev Karen Spray

Rev Andy Delmege

Rev Liska Lasko

Rev Paul Smith

Sybille Yates who lives in Santiago and runs Egaria House will coordinate the ministry.

This is a new service for pilgrims and visitors to Santiago. It is expected that ordained priests of churches in the Anglican Communion will serve for a minimum of two weeks, although longer placements are welcome. The Chaplaincy will provide accommodation in Santiago. Volunteer priests must meet all other expenses.

For further information see: www.caminochaplaincy.blogspot.com.

To apply please email: caminochaplaincy@gmail.com.
Chaplaincy Logo 4.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Send me a PM if you want to stay over at my place - so far I have space ;-) BC SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Awesome! I have a hard time finding like minded Anglicans in my new home state of MT but overjoyed to hear I may find them in Santiago! Will be heading out 11 October again!

"Like minded Anglicans...." Good luck with that! The Anglican Communion has ruptured six-ways-to-Sunday over the course of my lifetime. In my small town there are now (big sigh!) three intolerantly-and-uncharitably-competitive understandings of what it means to be Anglican!

I'm a pastor and not a prophet. I have absolutely no idea what the Anglican world will look like in five or ten years, except that it will not look like it does right now! But -- if this proposed ministry is truly 'inclusive' -- in keeping with what I sense to be the the spirit of the modern Camino -- it just might help keep some fraying Anglican ties from untying altogether. (A consummation devoutly to be wished, eh?!) And -- if this proposed ministry is truly 'inclusive' then I'd be delighted to support it, and perhaps to participate in it.

Last edited:
"Like minded Anglicans...." Good luck with that! The Anglican Communion has ruptured three-ways-to-Sunday over the course of my lifetime. In my small town there are now (big sigh!) three intolerantly-and-uncharitably-competitive understandings of what it means to be Anglican!

I'm a pastor and not a prophet. I have absolutely no idea what the Anglican world will look like in five or ten years, except that it will not look like it does right now! But -- if this proposed ministry is truly 'inclusive' -- in keeping with I sense to be the the spirit of the modern Camino -- it just might help keep some fraying Anglican ties from untying altogether. (A consummation devoutly to be wished, eh?!) And -- if this proposed ministry is truly 'inclusive' then I'd be delighted to support it, and perhaps to participate in it.

Well, let me rephrase then. It'd be great to find Anglicans, period. There are none that I've been able to find in the great state of MT! As to the other comments, truly inclusive would be wonderful. I've only had amazing experiences within my Anglican communities in Wisconsin and Illinois. They've been the Church moving in the world as the hands and feet of Jesus to spread the gospel. It's been a truly beautiful thing to be a part of. Buen Camino! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
"Like minded Anglicans...." Good luck with that! The Anglican Communion has ruptured six-ways-to-Sunday over the course of my lifetime. In my small town there are now (big sigh!) three intolerantly-and-uncharitably-competitive understandings of what it means to be Anglican!

I'm a pastor and not a prophet. I have absolutely no idea what the Anglican world will look like in five or ten years, except that it will not look like it does right now! But -- if this proposed ministry is truly 'inclusive' -- in keeping with what I sense to be the the spirit of the modern Camino -- it just might help keep some fraying Anglican ties from untying altogether. (A consummation devoutly to be wished, eh?!) And -- if this proposed ministry is truly 'inclusive' then I'd be delighted to support it, and perhaps to participate in it.

Hi @rappahannock_rev There are strict rules here on the forum that boil down to "exchanging information is ok, exchanging opinions not so much" - I want to keep in line with these forum rules. Please feel free to contact either of us involved via PM and we can give you more details and you might just be surprised how broad our understanding of "inclusive" really is ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Hi @rappahannock_rev There are strict rules here on the forum that boil down to "exchanging information is ok, exchanging opinions not so much" - I want to keep in line with these forum rules. Please feel free to contact either of us involved via PM and we can give you more details and you might just be surprised how broad our understanding of "inclusive" really is ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Thanks! I will, and soon.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've forwarded this info to two Episcopal (USA) priests that I think would like to participate. One question, is there a place or need for deacons? (Not me, just someone else I know.)

I am not the only one in the team, but we had so far expressions of interest from all walks of church life, so yes, there might be a place for a deacon. The way forward would be to send an email to the address mention in the first post WITH some ideas/outlines what the deacon thinks s/he could contribute personally. Does that sound reasonable? Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.