• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Animal tracks in snow - can someone identify?

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
This morning I walked from O Cebreiro to Triacastela. The first couple of km on snow mostly through woodland. After that I chickened out and walked down the road :cool: For a few hundred metres I was following these tracks. Not very fresh - probably the previous day and a little misshaped by temperature changes and light snow overnight. Not easy to see but they seemed to be wider than typical dog prints and to have the impression of five pads rather than four. Can anyone identify these marks?

IMG_20230128_090024~2.jpg
IMG_20230128_090054~2.jpg
IMG_20230128_083617.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dog or wolf. Here are tips to tell the difference.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This morning I walked from O Cebreiro to Triacastela. The first couple of km on snow mostly through woodland. After that I chickened out and walked down the road :cool: For a few hundred metres I was following these tracks. Not very fresh - probably the previous day and a little misshaped by temperature changes and light snow overnight. Not easy to see but they seemed to be wider than typical dog prints and to have the impression of five pads rather than four. Can anyone identify these marks?

View attachment 140438
View attachment 140439
View attachment 140440
I'm thinking fox because you can see the nails at the top and the outer toes are off the side a bit. Dog prints are usually rounder. I would say they're not big enough for a wolf. If the prints are going in a straight line, they are probably not a dog's. Dogs tend to sniff here and there, while foxes are on an errand. So.. from the photo fox or dog.

Last edited:
Big dog or (possibly) wolf. You’re in the centre of the Iberian Wolf territory.

The print on the left of your glove has a hind paw print over and slightly to the right of the front paw print indicating that the animal was trotting and is heavily-built at the front.

Fox prints, even big ones, are very similar to a large domestic cat print and more elongated.

View attachment 140438
View attachment 140439
View attachment 140440
Dogs can’t retract their claws.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

View attachment 140438
View attachment 140439
View attachment 140440
Big foot!😋

Big dog or (possibly) wolf. You’re in the centre of the Iberian Wolf territory.

The print on the left of your glove has a hind paw print over and slightly to the right of the front paw print indicating that the animal was trotting and is heavily-built at the front.

Fox prints, even big ones, are very similar to a large domestic cat print and more elongated.
I'd have said much the same. I live in wolf territory, with red foxes as well and bobcats... otters, mink, weasels, moose and deer, etc. They all walk up and down my 1200 foot driveway. So does the neighbour's Newfie-Lab cross and these are the prints I always see after the dog has been bounding down the road. (Wish I had a photo collection of the others). I do have a collection of poop photos... planning a children's book "Who Pooped here?" ... if I never get around to it, no matter. Someone will and that's fine.

Last edited:
I'd have said much the same. I live in wolf territory, with red foxes as well and bobcats... otters, mink, weasels, moose and deer, etc. They wall walk up and down my 1200 foot driveway. So does the neighbour's Newfie-Lab cross and these are the prints I always see after the dog has been bounding down the road. (Wish I had a photo collection of the others). I do have a collection of poop photos... planning a children's book "Who Pooped here?" ... if I never get around to it, no matter. Someone will and that's fine.
There are already lots if kids’ books on the subject. You might want to check them out first.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are already lots if kids’ books on the subject. You might want to check them out first.
Everyone's a critic
1) I was kidding
2) there are also lots of children's books about fairies and goblins and favourite pets and teddy bears and mean witches and missing mothers
3) I guess we need no more bildungsroman either, what with Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, The Brontes and Louisa May Alcott having locked that down.
4) There is plenty of room for someone to write a "who pooped here" sort of book and have fun doing it. I hope they will.

Last edited:
4) There is plenty of room for someone to write a "who pooped here" sort of book and have fun doing it. I hope they will.
Though perhaps not in the style of "Russell Kenny - English guitarist" whose graffiti I've been spotting now and again for weeks. This morning's was a particularly scatological example.IMG_20230129_094645.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
5) Camino books/memoirs galore are available, but there is still always room for one☝️ more.
Nah! We can just rely on the Codex. :D :D :D

(Honestly. sometimes I wish that people would. I've seen reproductions and would LOVE to see some anti-tech purist carting that doorstopper around. I'd also love some kind of mandatory grounding in the purposes and methods for achieving it as described therein).

Back to fauna: I would love to have an app that could identify all the birds along different caminos in different seasons. And I really wish I'd had a way to immediately identify the *gerbils* I saw between Leon and Villadanga one year.

Though perhaps not in the style of "Russell Kenny - English guitarist" whose graffiti I've been spotting now and again for weeks. This morning's was a particularly scatological example.
😡 More like I am than I did.
See the graffiti -> View attachment 140511

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Though perhaps not in the style of "Russell Kenny - English guitarist" whose graffiti I've been spotting now and again for weeks. This morning's was a particularly scatological example.View attachment 140511
Since you are on the "subject", here is a picture I snapped along the Rota Vicentina in Portugal.
Screenshot_20230129-101909~2.png

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Everyone's a critic
1) I was kidding
2) there are also lots of children's books about fairies and goblins and favourite pets and teddy bears and mean witches and missing mothers
3) I guess we need no more bildungsroman either, what with Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, The Brontes and Luisa May Alcott having locked that down.
I didn’t mean to offend. It was just an FYI, as I had seen some of those books at one of the National Parks.

I don't think so. If he was at Hospital last night then he is probably a day or so behind me. I'm quite surprised at the numbers walking just now. More than I'd expected.
Keep an eye out for a guy walking with an umbrella and in shorts and trainers. Pretty hard to miss. He is kind of a camino “celebrity,” at least in Spain, now on camino number 51.

I'd have said much the same. I live in wolf territory, with red foxes as well and bobcats... otters, mink, weasels, moose and deer, etc. They all walk up and down my 1200 foot driveway. So does the neighbour's Newfie-Lab cross and these are the prints I always see after the dog has been bounding down the road. (Wish I had a photo collection of the others). I do have a collection of poop photos... planning a children's book "Who Pooped here?" ... if I never get around to it, no matter. Someone will and that's fine.
Excellent!

Somewhere in my eclectic library I’ve got an illustrated book (by a Swede I think) of the poop of most European wildlife.

View attachment 140438
View attachment 140439
View attachment 140440
Definitely the Yeti 😂😂, but sorry, haven't a clue

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And there I was convinced it would turn out to be a large Wombat...... :rolleyes:
They can be surprisingly large! (36kg)
Though not frequently seen in Galicia...... yet......

Common-wombat.jpg

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I think it's the track of a Mastin, or Leonese Mastiff, the local herd-guarding dogs. They are very heavily built, and are known for having extra toes and dewclaws on their paws.
There are lots of wolfish dogs around up there in cattle country. My dog Judy comes from La Laguna, just before O Cebreiro. She's a big sweetie, but people scream and run when they see her, assuming she's a wolf. The other day a farmer stopped his tractor and was taking a video of her loping across the fields... he seemed a bit disappointed when I told him she was my DOG!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nah! We can just rely on the Codex. :D :D :D

(Honestly. sometimes I wish that people would. I've seen reproductions and would LOVE to see some anti-tech purist carting that doorstopper around. I'd also love some kind of mandatory grounding in the purposes and methods for achieving it as described therein).

Back to fauna: I would love to have an app that could identify all the birds along different caminos in different seasons. And I really wish I'd had a way to immediately identify the *gerbils* I saw between Leon and Villadanga one year.
Did it look like this? I posted this photo on the forum some while ago, I spotted it cowering on a shelf in a little chapel on the Salvador. Apparently, it is an edible dormouse (which is probably why it is looking so nervous).

P1000379.JPG

Did it look like this? I posted this photo on the forum some while ago, I spotted it cowering on a shelf in a little chapel on the Salvador. Apparently, it is an edible dormouse (which is probably why it is looking so nervous).

View attachment 140774
Nope! My guys were reddish-brown without white bellies, long tails and scurrying in and out of the redd-ish dirt in the time just around sun-up...
Your dormouse is adorbz though!! I would take him him.... and listen to what he said (Alice in Wonderland).

View attachment 140774
What did it taste like ? Chicken ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

I took this photo years ago on the 'Roman Road' after San Roman on the Primitivo. There is a clue to the culprit in the photo if you have good eyesight! A hunter identified it for me.
DSCF0497.JPG
Tio Tel

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Any idea on these prints on the Via de la Plata just before entering Galicia? It's a ladies size boot, not large.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230217-165335_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230217-165335_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20230217-165008_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230217-165008_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back