• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Animals we meet on camino

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Again, soon as possible!
Most of us love animals of all kinds. We meet many along the camino's. They bring me a lot of pleasure, whether cows in a pasture, mischievous goats. colorful lizards, local dogs or cats. Donkeys! Got any good animal pictures? Please share here.

Here is a fine looking hound I met in Penafonte on the Primitivo. He was an old Gentleman. Very interested we were sleeping in the church porch, and liked salami and bread. Not keen on the banana though.

104-38 Making friends in Penafonte.JPG

Davey

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This cuddly teddy bear was the 'brother' of the old gent above (same owner). He was not a gent, he was a naughty teenager. Decided he was going to share our lunch. He would steal out of your rucksack if you turned your back on him. Beautiful though. I have seen him since, he is now much bigger, still friendly, and has more manners!

104-36 A cuddly teddy bear in Penafonte. He kept trying to 'share' our supper.JPG

And that his his rock he brought us as a present!

Camino Dog.JPG
IMG_0610.JPG

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Here are two from last month on the Frances. Whether hidden away or soaking up the sun, they are always watching us as we pass by. It might be my imagination but he looks like he’s smiling — what a life!E065BD9B-D842-401A-8943-211EFB70FB7A.jpegD3C0F2D6-FCE1-4824-B28B-23F2602CBF27.jpeg

Most of us love animals of all kinds. We meet many along the camino's. They bring me a lot of pleasure, whether cows in a pasture, mischievous goats. colorful lizards, local dogs or cats. Donkeys! Got any good animal pictures? Please share here.

Here is a fine looking hound I met in Penafonte on the Primitivo. He was an old Gentleman. Very interested we were sleeping in the church porch, and liked salami and bread. Not keen on the banana though.

View attachment 56314

Davey
Hi Davey,
Thanks for posting this
Can't believe this hound is still going.......we met him in 2012 on our Primitivo camino
I got the fright of my life when he sauntered out of a building onto the path ...he's bigger than me so I just stopped dead.
Turned out to be a real gentle giant...I guess that he must greet everyone on the path especially if there's food to be had!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wish I had taken a photo of the lineup of pilgrims behind a horse blocking the path through one of those communal pastures, I think it was just out of Zubiri. She had her foal and they were eating grass and no one wanted to walk behind her as there wasn't much room before the bushes. Eventually some brave soul got her to move out of the way and the pilgrims moved on. It was a nice break.

Wonderful thread. I am looking for my 'poddock' pony photos from the Camino Frances, on the climb out of St. Jean Pied de Port, from 2013. There were herds of them at the top, near the cross.

I loved it, until I saw the yellow 'livestock' tags on their ears. 'Chevre' is popular on French menus... 'nuff said...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
1. On Levante, near Arevalo a horse observes us…
2. On Levante, few km before Avila, the young horse let his mother to have look at those pilgrims…
3. Levante again, between Minaya and La Roda, the sheep give us free way.. 2015 04 17 1404.jpg
2015 04 14 1342.jpg20140511 0859 IMG_6826.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Watching Cricket on the Way!
Its a dogs life on way to End of the World!
Why the long face on the Portuguese!

Attachments

• IMG_20180921_134731653.jpg
    IMG_20180921_134731653.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20181015_170330858.jpg
    IMG_20181015_170330858.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20181126_124802620.jpg
    IMG_20181126_124802620.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 18
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In the Pyrinees you can meet (fortunately, from distance) many vultures. They fly over you, high in the sky, lazily and effortless...:oops:
After a while, they lose interest and go away.

View attachment 56358

Photo: Wikipedia

I believe that is a photo of a Griffon Vulture. They are indigenous to the Pyrenees.

In late April - early May 2013, two French women were day-hiking in the Pyrenees (not on the Camino). One of them slipped and fell off the mountain trail a few hundred meters while wearing a day pack.

Her companion dialed 112. By the time the emergency services arrived at the fallen woman. The Griffon Vultures has stripped all exposed flesh. It was determined that the woman broke her neck in the fall and was dead before the vultures got to her. At the time, late April, early May 2013, this story was widely reported in the media.

The interesting thing about this unfortunate situation is that the vultures normal food was the carcasses of farm animals that died on the high pastures. Farmers simply left dead animals to be consumed by the vultures.

However, once established, the EU created rules forbidding this practice. They required recovery and burial of all farm animal carcasses.

When this occurred, the vultures lost their normal food source. They adapted by going after newborn lambs, calves, and small domestic pets. So, when presented with a fresh human corpse, the vultures did what came naturally.

A gory story, an perhaps a digression from the thread, but interesting all the same.

Just sayin...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
These two horses were the most memorable for us. They were standing on the rock blocking the narrow path towards Poladura de la Tercia (on San Salvador). Not knowing what to do, we sat on the nearby rocks and started talking to them: "You are so wonderful, smart and clever, you must understand that we need to continue our way. Please let us go." And they understood! They walked past majesticly and joined the stud in the forest.

Last edited:
This beautiful girl introduced herself to us as we were passing through Lintzoain. When it was time to move on after lots of petting she told us, in Dog of course, "Follow me, I shall guide you through my village!" At the far end of the village was a very large and loud dog which she expertly distracted allowing us to safely pass by. Then, with a swish of her tail she turned and leaped over a stone wall and was gone. This was special to me because I foster and train rescue Border Collies.

IMG_3760.jpegIMG_3760.jpeg

Last edited:

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I believe that is a photo of a Griffon Vulture. They are indigenous to the Pyrenees.

In late April - early May 2013, two French women were day-hiking in the Pyrenees (not on the Camino). One of them slipped and fell off the mountain trail a few hundred meters while wearing a day pack.

Her companion dialed 112. By the time the emergency services arrived at the fallen woman. The Griffon Vultures has stripped all exposed flesh. It was determined that the woman broke her neck in the fall and was dead before the vultures got to her. At the time, late April, early May 2013, this story was widely reported in the media.

The interesting thing about this unfortunate situation is that the vultures normal food was the carcasses of farm animals that died on the high pastures. Farmers simply left dead animals to be consumed by the vultures.

However, once established, the EU created rules forbidding this practice. They required recovery and burial of all farm animal carcasses.

When this occurred, the vultures lost their normal food source. They adapted by going after newborn lambs, calves, and small domestic pets. So, when presented with a fresh human corpse, the vultures did what came naturally.

A gory story, an perhaps a digression from the thread, but interesting all the same.

Just sayin...

Yes, I followed this story for a while as it broke. Initially the rescue services could not be certain that the poor woman had died before the vultures arrived. There was a big campaign by the farmers to be allowed to leave animal carcasses on the mountain once more. Never found out if they have changed the rules again though, probably not.

Davey

View attachment 56370
A little bit after El Ganso

View attachment 56371
At the bar on Alto de Poio. A big and friendly Spanish Mastin. As big as a young bear, but loved the cuddles!
And that’s only a couple pics on the lot I took!!!

Love that bar at Alto de Poi. This dog has some bigger and older family members there! Lovely bunch of massive dogs, very friendly bar too. Thinking of staying there next time as they have an albergue too.

Davey

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Couple of Kms outside of Hornillos I heard some noise and thought it was another peregrino catching on. All of a sudden I turned around and there was this big dog being playful and jumping around me. I managed to take a selfie with him!

Attachments

• 20190427_102932.jpg
    20190427_102932.jpg
    686.8 KB · Views: 19
Unfortunately road kill. I think it’s a pine Martin.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

€83,-
In Atapuerca also remains below of rhinos, hippos, elephants.....

I should explain this post.
Last Saturday I visited the Atapuerca archaeological site. There, in the Sima del Elefante cave we were informed about the discovery of bones of these animals. In Gran Dolina cave they told us that lived the Homo Antecessor who ate their meat.
In the afternoon I saw in Agés some pilgrims from my car who looked very happy probably not for that issue but because the sky was blue and the fields green.

Camino Portugues

Attachments

• DSC_0180.jpg
    912.3 KB · Views: 4

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back