A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Anniesantiago's Update

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
I had my Pre-Op Appointment with my breast surgeon today.

Double Mastectomy surgery is Thursday.

She actually used the word "miraculous!"

The tumor has all but disappeared!!

In addition to Letrozole I've been doing my version of dirty KETO and daily Guided Meditation/Visualization.

I still have cancer, and will still need the double mastectomy, and she told me to keep taking the Letrozole (bummer)
but was VERY positive about my outcome.

I left smiling.

Thank you ALL for your prayers and good wishes.
They're working.

Love,

Annie

PS: She said carrying a pack on the Camino next spring should be no problem at all! HOORAY!

Also, wanted to mention that I've contacted all of the private places where I take my groups, and everybody is safe and healthy. None of them have lost family to Covid. I was so grateful to hear that news too!

power-hands.jpg

Last edited:

malingerer

samarkand
Camino(s) past & future
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)

In addition to Letrozole I've been doing my version of dirty KETO and daily Guided Meditation/Visualization.

I still have cancer, and will still need the double mastectomy, and she told me to keep taking the Letrozole (bummer)

I left smiling.

They're working.

Love,

Annie

PS: She said carrying a pack on the Camino next spring should be no problem at all! HOORAY!

Also, wanted to mention that I've contacted all of the private places where I take my groups, and everybody is safe and healthy. None of them have lost family to Covid. I was so grateful to hear that news too!

View attachment 73549
Annie you are positively brilliant! I am still waiting for the first swift of the year to appear in the sky but am sending you many NAM MYOHS to speed YOU along as once I know you are heading for the trail my feet may be slow in following but my heart will be out there too!

Stay safe!

Vaya con Dios.

The Malingerer.

CaroleH

Camino(s) past & future
VdlP 2006, Portugues 2007;Madrid 2009, Finisterre 2009; Sur and VdlP 2011,2013; Manchego and Madrid 2014; VdlP (parts) 2016; Hospitalero plan 2017.
Ditto, Annie. Sending you love, light and and healing energy. You are amazing. x

peregrina2000

Staff member
Not too many posts get so many enthusiastic responses in lightening time. :D You must know we are thinking of you and appreciate your enthusiastic courage in dealing with this major curve ball.

Buen camino, Laurie

marilyn van graan

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012) VDLP (2014) Portuguese (2015)

I left smiling.

They're working.

Love,

Annie

View attachment 73549
You will be in my thoughts and prayers and with your lovely positive attitude half your battle is won - much love XXXX

Paladina

old woman of the roads
Camino(s) past & future
CF, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles etc (2018), Mozarabe etc (2019), tbc (2020)
Very best wishes and a virtual hug for tomorrow and thereafter, Annie!

ShaLaw

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, Sept./Oct. 2015. Future Camino Portuguese in 2022.
All the best to you, Annie. Cheers to a healthy and speedy recovery! Sending positive thoughts and a virtual hug from Canada 🇨🇦 Xx

Dani7

Stop wishing, start doing.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
When the time is right
Thinking of you, Annie. 🌹🌸🌻🌷💐
Your shining attitude is a huge asset, but it's still quite something to live through.
Please feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions at all.....
Abrazos, peregrina. Ultreia!
I second they support. PM anytime Annie. Sending love and prayers. Will be with you in spirit tomorrow ❤🤗

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Camino(s) past & future
CF - sections and whole (2012-2019) and part VF (2017)
This is wonderful news, Annie! ‘Sending you healing vibes for your surgery - may you have a swift recovery and be surrounded by all good things as you convalesce.
Love to you and Joe from Oz -
Jenny

MarkyD

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés 31/08/2018 - 20/10/2018

I left smiling.

They're working.

Love,

Annie

View attachment 73549
Stay positive and wishing you all the best for the operation and ongoing recovery. A big non-contagious Camino hug to you

easygoing

Camino Sharon
Camino(s) past & future
I have walked the Camino Francis 7 times, twice in 2017 and 2018. (2019)
15 years ago I had double mastectomies. Since then I have hiked the Pacific Crest trail, the Arizona trail twice and the Camino 9 times. My point is my ability to carry a pack was not affected. Each person is different but I choose to forgo medication ( Arimidex) after mastectomy due to the side effects.
And 15 years later I am still in great health. As so will you be 😘

Magwood

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
See signature line for links to daily posts to blogs from many caminos
Great news Annie. Keep that smile on your face. Will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending positivity your way xx

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
15 years ago I had double mastectomies. Since then I have hiked the Pacific Crest trail, the Arizona trail twice and the Camino 9 times. My point is my ability to carry a pack was not affected. Each person is different but I choose to forgo medication ( Arimidex) after mastectomy due to the side effects.
And 15 years later I am still in great health. As so will you be 😘
Awesome!
I'm considering going off the Letrozole early - I don't like the side effects and when I weigh the side effects to quality of life, QOF wins. We'll see... I'm trying a different brand starting May 1

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
'CP, Frances,Norte,Salv/prim;Le puy, Inglés, CDM, Invierno, Fin/Mux, Vdlp 2019>Táb/ Prt Levante 2020
Annie
We’re surrounding you with everything positive., and you have your own inner strength and good doctor there ..
.......so then for a quick recovery
🕯,🌼♥♥
Annie from Oz

DwainS

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances(2020)
Great news! Love your positive vibes and looking forward to good times and not looking back. Very inspiring to a lot of people especially me who has an oncologist appointment next month. This Camino Forum is a form of support in its self. Such great people. Buen camino.

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020

Double Mastectomy surgery is Thursday. She actually used the word "miraculous!"

The tumor has all but disappeared!! (WOW);

but was VERY positive about my outcome. I left smiling.

They're working.

Love,

Annie
Hola dear friend. Such fantastic news. The medical world is getting better and better especially when the cancer is found reasonably early.
From your post I will assume that there will need to be further examinations after the surgery to confirm that all the little cancer buggers have been removed (fingers crossed).

I have my 5th dose of Chemo yesterday, number 6 is in mid-May. From there the advice is to keep taking the hormone implants every 3 months (for the rest of my life) or until its of no further affect or (again fingers crossed Medical Science finds some type or cure or at least stabilisation).
You are in my thoughts (my prayers not having much effect). Cheers Mike

Camino(s) past & future
Hola dear friend. Such fantastic news. The medical world is getting better and better especially when the cancer is found reasonably early.
From your post I will assume that there will need to be further examinations after the surgery to confirm that all the little cancer buggers have been removed (fingers crossed).

I have my 5th dose of Chemo yesterday, number 6 is in mid-May. From there the advice is to keep taking the hormone implants every 3 months (for the rest of my life) or until its of no further affect or (again fingers crossed Medical Science finds some type or cure or at least stabilisation).
You are in my thoughts (my prayers not having much effect). Cheers Mike
Thanks Mike.
Chemo is for badasses! - I'm so grateful I don't have to go through it.
I doubt I'd be so brave.
You're also on my prayer list.
Big hugs!

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
I doubt I'd be so brave.
I'm glad you don't have to either, Annie...but about courage...wanna bet? Sure you would. You already are!

Hang in there @Saint Mike II ...may you have everything you need to get through this with flying colors!

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
All blessings, Annie!
Thinking of you tonight from the other side of the world.

JBSoakitup

Life is short_Soak it UP!
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - Lourdes to SdC to Finesterre Sept (2018) 1st timer now bitten by the Camino Bug!
Your courage and attitude is amazing.
Will keep you in my thousand prayers.
One step at a time and Camino on!
Vaya con Dios.

Camino(s) past & future
SJPP2Santiago completed (Sept.15, 2018).

I left smiling.

They're working.

Love,

Annie

View attachment 73549
Excellent news. Well wishes to you Annie!

mguillen

MGuillen
Camino(s) past & future

I left smiling.

They're working.

Love,

Annie

View attachment 73549
The Lord has healed you. How awesome! Thank you for sharing!

Camino(s) past & future
Well? Don't keep us waiting!
Well, I'm assuming she got it all.
I should know more by Monday when the lab has looked at the tissue.
There were no visible signs of cancer in the lymph nodes but of course, the lab has to look closer.
If anyone doesn't have a queasy stomach about such things, you can see photos of me on my blog.
Still in bandages but you can see what a great job she did.
Sorry about the frown on my face, I was still on pain meds. lol! It's horrid.
But I'm very happy.
Here is the link to the blog:

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
Annie, and again, Annie - by the way, the name of a much loved aunt of mine, and my grannie’s name also: thanks for everything. You are your story. Heal well and soon. Xx

chinacat

Veteran Member
Such good news, Annie!!

Your decision to blog through all of this, for the sake of others, is also courageous!
... you are one strong, conscious, admirable woman!

May you grow in strength with each new day!

D

Deleted member 67185

There were no visible signs of cancer in the lymph nodes but of course, the lab has to look closer.
If anyone doesn't have a queasy stomach about such things, you can see photos of me on my blog.
But I'm very happy.

Wonderful. . . . I am praying hard for an excellent and complete disease-free outcome

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014 & 2015 ),Via San Francesco(2017) Camino Portugese (2018 )Camino Ingles(2019) CF

I left smiling.

They're working.

Love,

Annie

View attachment 73549
I've been thinking of you Dear Annie ! ☺👏 So nice to get an update, and your report of the tiny miracles so far...As always, you are in my prayers. May God Bless all on your team on Thursday and carry you thru !
Look to the moon 🌕💕

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
Annie

You were on it early, you are determined and you have taken good medical advice. So far, so good.

Assertive patients get best (respectful) attention. Even if you’re frightened - which anyone rational would be - don’t forget to be a pain in the arse.

Best wishes

David and Henry the dog.

CaroleH

Camino(s) past & future
VdlP 2006, Portugues 2007;Madrid 2009, Finisterre 2009; Sur and VdlP 2011,2013; Manchego and Madrid 2014; VdlP (parts) 2016; Hospitalero plan 2017.
Sending best wishes for speedy recovery, from OZ
Buen camino. Carole

LTfit

Veteran Member
But I'm very happy.

Read your blog post Annie. So glad that you were surrounded by love💜
Wishing you a speedy recovery, you've got this💪

Magwood

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
See signature line for links to daily posts to blogs from many caminos
Have just read your blog post Annie. You have such a positive attitude which must have been a factor in how smoothly your procedure went. You are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing x

Camino(s) past & future
Got my labs today.
Lymph nodes were clear.
Tumor had shrunk to 5% of it's original size!
Clear margins on the tumor.
No cancer in any of the other breast tissue.

I'm declaring myself cancer free!
I am supposed to take the Letrozole for 5 years - we'll see about that. It is giving me a few side effects I don't like, but I'm SO happy that I got this news today and I have absolutely NO regrets for having made the decision to have the Double Mastectomy. It was the right move. Thank you ALL for the prayers and good energy.

HOORAY!💓

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
Best news of today. So grateful for you.

Paladina

old woman of the roads
Camino(s) past & future
CF, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles etc (2018), Mozarabe etc (2019), tbc (2020)
I am supposed to take the Letrozole for 5 years - we'll see about that.
Wonderful news, Annie. It sounds like a unilateral - or should that be bilateral? - declaration of independence. Enjoy the first day of the rest of your cancer-free life!

Bala

Veteran member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
Got my labs today.
Lymph nodes were clear.

I am supposed to take the Letrozole for 5 years - we'll see about that. It is giving me a few side effects I don't like, but I'm SO happy that I got this news today and I have absolutely NO regrets for having made the decision to have the Double Mastectomy. It was the right move. Thank you ALL for the prayers and good energy.

HOORAY!💓
Annie, that is wonderful news!! 💖💖💖

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Got my labs today.
Lymph nodes were clear.
Woo hooooo!!!
Prayers answered...this is the best possible news, Annie.
May you continue to heal well, peregrina!
Abrazos, gently!

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Camino(s) past & future
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
Got my labs today.
Lymph nodes were clear.

HOORAY!💓
Fantastic news @Anniesantiago ! We're so pleased to read that you're cancer free! ❤

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
in Planning stage: Frances (SJPdP --> SdC) & Finisterre "2021" ... (GOD WILLING!)
Rollin', rollin', rollin'
Rawhide!

Keep rollin', rollin', rollin'
Though the streams are swollen
Keep them dogies rollin'
Rawhide!

So glad for ya 🤞

Mark Day

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Santiago planned for end April 2020 now 2021

I left smiling.

They're working.

Love,

Annie

View attachment 73549
Great news

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014 & 2015 ),Via San Francesco(2017) Camino Portugese (2018 )Camino Ingles(2019) CF
Soooooo Happy that things went well for you Dear Annie ! Rest ( you'll have to acquire the skills for that ), recoup, regroup and know you are loved! Heal on 🤗❤

marilyn van graan

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012) VDLP (2014) Portuguese (2015)
So very happy to hear your news Annie - you have been in my thoughts and prayers and now we can give thanks to our gracious Lord for His constant care of you. A good opportunity to take time out to heal completely and reflect on all you have been through and witnessed - just keep planning for your next camino. Much love XXX

Camino(s) past & future
UPDATE:

I saw my surgeon for the last time today. I'm 3 weeks post op from my DMX. She released me to do any stretching, weight lifting, driving, exercise I wanted. She said, "Just listen to your body and don't overdo it." (I did drive from Dallas, Oregon to Portland, about 1.5 hours, yesterday and it wore me out.)

The only thing I can't do is tub baths yet. She gave me some solvent to take off the steri strips "if I wanted" but suggested the longer I leave them on, the nicer my scar will be. I started trying to remove them, but after about 2 inches decided to leave them alone. lol!

She is sending me to a physical therapist and the best news of ALL is that she said, "With the combination of the Letrozole and the supplements you were taking, your tumor shrunk down to 5% of its original size in TWO MONTHS, and so I think if you can manage to stay on the Letrozole for one year, that will be all you need."

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for your thoughts and prayers. It gave me the strength to fight and win.

HOORAY!Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 6.56.17 AM.png

Last edited:

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Camino(s) past & future
I'm doing a wee happy dance ( but will refrain from posting it...lol ) Use your imagination 🤣🌺🌹🌷🌸 Happy for you Annie

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 323 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 373 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 157 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock