• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anniesantiago's Update

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I had my Pre-Op Appointment with my breast surgeon today.

Double Mastectomy surgery is Thursday.

She actually used the word "miraculous!"

The tumor has all but disappeared!!

In addition to Letrozole I've been doing my version of dirty KETO and daily Guided Meditation/Visualization.

I still have cancer, and will still need the double mastectomy, and she told me to keep taking the Letrozole (bummer)
but was VERY positive about my outcome.

I left smiling.

Thank you ALL for your prayers and good wishes.
They're working.

Love,

Annie

PS: She said carrying a pack on the Camino next spring should be no problem at all! HOORAY!

Also, wanted to mention that I've contacted all of the private places where I take my groups, and everybody is safe and healthy. None of them have lost family to Covid. I was so grateful to hear that news too!

power-hands.jpg

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

In addition to Letrozole I've been doing my version of dirty KETO and daily Guided Meditation/Visualization.

I still have cancer, and will still need the double mastectomy, and she told me to keep taking the Letrozole (bummer)

I left smiling.

They're working.

Love,

Annie

PS: She said carrying a pack on the Camino next spring should be no problem at all! HOORAY!

Also, wanted to mention that I've contacted all of the private places where I take my groups, and everybody is safe and healthy. None of them have lost family to Covid. I was so grateful to hear that news too!

View attachment 73549

Annie you are positively brilliant! I am still waiting for the first swift of the year to appear in the sky but am sending you many NAM MYOHS to speed YOU along as once I know you are heading for the trail my feet may be slow in following but my heart will be out there too!

Stay safe!

Vaya con Dios.

The Malingerer.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ditto, Annie. Sending you love, light and and healing energy. You are amazing. x

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I left smiling.

They're working.

Love,

Annie

View attachment 73549
You will be in my thoughts and prayers and with your lovely positive attitude half your battle is won - much love XXXX

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very best wishes and a virtual hug for tomorrow and thereafter, Annie!

Thinking of you, Annie. 🌹🌸🌻🌷💐
Your shining attitude is a huge asset, but it's still quite something to live through.
Please feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions at all.....
Abrazos, peregrina. Ultreia!
I second they support. PM anytime Annie. Sending love and prayers. Will be with you in spirit tomorrow ❤️🤗

This is wonderful news, Annie! ‘Sending you healing vibes for your surgery - may you have a swift recovery and be surrounded by all good things as you convalesce.
Love to you and Joe from Oz -
Jenny

I left smiling.

They're working.

Love,

Annie

View attachment 73549
Stay positive and wishing you all the best for the operation and ongoing recovery. A big non-contagious Camino hug to you

15 years ago I had double mastectomies. Since then I have hiked the Pacific Crest trail, the Arizona trail twice and the Camino 9 times. My point is my ability to carry a pack was not affected. Each person is different but I choose to forgo medication ( Arimidex) after mastectomy due to the side effects.
And 15 years later I am still in great health. As so will you be 😘

Great news Annie. Keep that smile on your face. Will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending positivity your way xx

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
15 years ago I had double mastectomies. Since then I have hiked the Pacific Crest trail, the Arizona trail twice and the Camino 9 times. My point is my ability to carry a pack was not affected. Each person is different but I choose to forgo medication ( Arimidex) after mastectomy due to the side effects.
And 15 years later I am still in great health. As so will you be 😘

Awesome!
I'm considering going off the Letrozole early - I don't like the side effects and when I weigh the side effects to quality of life, QOF wins. We'll see... I'm trying a different brand starting May 1

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Annie
We’re surrounding you with everything positive., and you have your own inner strength and good doctor there ..
.......so then for a quick recovery
🕯,🌼♥♥
Annie from Oz

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Great news! Love your positive vibes and looking forward to good times and not looking back. Very inspiring to a lot of people especially me who has an oncologist appointment next month. This Camino Forum is a form of support in its self. Such great people. Buen camino.

Double Mastectomy surgery is Thursday. She actually used the word "miraculous!"

The tumor has all but disappeared!! (WOW);

but was VERY positive about my outcome. I left smiling.

They're working.

Love,

Annie

Hola dear friend. Such fantastic news. The medical world is getting better and better especially when the cancer is found reasonably early.
From your post I will assume that there will need to be further examinations after the surgery to confirm that all the little cancer buggers have been removed (fingers crossed).

I have my 5th dose of Chemo yesterday, number 6 is in mid-May. From there the advice is to keep taking the hormone implants every 3 months (for the rest of my life) or until its of no further affect or (again fingers crossed Medical Science finds some type or cure or at least stabilisation).
You are in my thoughts (my prayers not having much effect). Cheers Mike

Hola dear friend. Such fantastic news. The medical world is getting better and better especially when the cancer is found reasonably early.
From your post I will assume that there will need to be further examinations after the surgery to confirm that all the little cancer buggers have been removed (fingers crossed).

I have my 5th dose of Chemo yesterday, number 6 is in mid-May. From there the advice is to keep taking the hormone implants every 3 months (for the rest of my life) or until its of no further affect or (again fingers crossed Medical Science finds some type or cure or at least stabilisation).
You are in my thoughts (my prayers not having much effect). Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike.
Chemo is for badasses! - I'm so grateful I don't have to go through it.
I doubt I'd be so brave.
You're also on my prayer list.
Big hugs!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Your courage and attitude is amazing.
Will keep you in my thousand prayers.
One step at a time and Camino on!
Vaya con Dios.

I left smiling.

They're working.

Love,

Annie

View attachment 73549
Excellent news. Well wishes to you Annie!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I left smiling.

They're working.

Love,

Annie

View attachment 73549
The Lord has healed you. How awesome! Thank you for sharing!

Well? Don't keep us waiting!

Well, I'm assuming she got it all.
I should know more by Monday when the lab has looked at the tissue.
There were no visible signs of cancer in the lymph nodes but of course, the lab has to look closer.
If anyone doesn't have a queasy stomach about such things, you can see photos of me on my blog.
Still in bandages but you can see what a great job she did.
Sorry about the frown on my face, I was still on pain meds. lol! It's horrid.
But I'm very happy.
Here is the link to the blog:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Annie, and again, Annie - by the way, the name of a much loved aunt of mine, and my grannie’s name also: thanks for everything. You are your story. Heal well and soon. Xx

All the best, Annie. Good news!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There were no visible signs of cancer in the lymph nodes but of course, the lab has to look closer.
If anyone doesn't have a queasy stomach about such things, you can see photos of me on my blog.
But I'm very happy.

Wonderful. . . . I am praying hard for an excellent and complete disease-free outcome

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I left smiling.

They're working.

Love,

Annie

View attachment 73549
I've been thinking of you Dear Annie ! ☺👏 So nice to get an update, and your report of the tiny miracles so far...As always, you are in my prayers. May God Bless all on your team on Thursday and carry you thru !
Look to the moon 🌕💕

Annie

You were on it early, you are determined and you have taken good medical advice. So far, so good.

Assertive patients get best (respectful) attention. Even if you’re frightened - which anyone rational would be - don’t forget to be a pain in the arse.

Best wishes

David and Henry the dog.

Sending best wishes for speedy recovery, from OZ
Buen camino. Carole

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
But I'm very happy.

Read your blog post Annie. So glad that you were surrounded by love💜
Wishing you a speedy recovery, you've got this💪

Have just read your blog post Annie. You have such a positive attitude which must have been a factor in how smoothly your procedure went. You are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing x

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Got my labs today.
Lymph nodes were clear.
Tumor had shrunk to 5% of it's original size!
Clear margins on the tumor.
No cancer in any of the other breast tissue.

I'm declaring myself cancer free!
I am supposed to take the Letrozole for 5 years - we'll see about that. It is giving me a few side effects I don't like, but I'm SO happy that I got this news today and I have absolutely NO regrets for having made the decision to have the Double Mastectomy. It was the right move. Thank you ALL for the prayers and good energy.

HOORAY!💓

I am supposed to take the Letrozole for 5 years - we'll see about that.
Wonderful news, Annie. It sounds like a unilateral - or should that be bilateral? - declaration of independence. Enjoy the first day of the rest of your cancer-free life!

Got my labs today.
Lymph nodes were clear.

I am supposed to take the Letrozole for 5 years - we'll see about that. It is giving me a few side effects I don't like, but I'm SO happy that I got this news today and I have absolutely NO regrets for having made the decision to have the Double Mastectomy. It was the right move. Thank you ALL for the prayers and good energy.

HOORAY!💓
Annie, that is wonderful news!! 💖💖💖

€46,-
Got my labs today.
Lymph nodes were clear.
Woo hooooo!!!
Prayers answered...this is the best possible news, Annie.
May you continue to heal well, peregrina!
Abrazos, gently!

Got my labs today.
Lymph nodes were clear.

HOORAY!💓

Fantastic news @Anniesantiago ! We're so pleased to read that you're cancer free! ❤

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Rollin', rollin', rollin'
Rawhide!

Keep rollin', rollin', rollin'
Though the streams are swollen
Keep them dogies rollin'
Rawhide!

So glad for ya 🤞

I left smiling.

They're working.

Love,

Annie

View attachment 73549
Great news

Soooooo Happy that things went well for you Dear Annie ! Rest ( you'll have to acquire the skills for that ), recoup, regroup and know you are loved! Heal on 🤗

So very happy to hear your news Annie - you have been in my thoughts and prayers and now we can give thanks to our gracious Lord for His constant care of you. A good opportunity to take time out to heal completely and reflect on all you have been through and witnessed - just keep planning for your next camino. Much love XXX

UPDATE:

I saw my surgeon for the last time today. I'm 3 weeks post op from my DMX. She released me to do any stretching, weight lifting, driving, exercise I wanted. She said, "Just listen to your body and don't overdo it." (I did drive from Dallas, Oregon to Portland, about 1.5 hours, yesterday and it wore me out.)

The only thing I can't do is tub baths yet. She gave me some solvent to take off the steri strips "if I wanted" but suggested the longer I leave them on, the nicer my scar will be. I started trying to remove them, but after about 2 inches decided to leave them alone. lol!

She is sending me to a physical therapist and the best news of ALL is that she said, "With the combination of the Letrozole and the supplements you were taking, your tumor shrunk down to 5% of its original size in TWO MONTHS, and so I think if you can manage to stay on the Letrozole for one year, that will be all you need."

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for your thoughts and prayers. It gave me the strength to fight and win.

HOORAY!Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 6.56.17 AM.png

Last edited:

€46,-
I'm doing a wee happy dance ( but will refrain from posting it...lol ) Use your imagination 🤣🌺🌹🌷🌸 Happy for you Annie

€46,-
I was thinking about you today, Annie, and wondering how you are doing??
Sending lots of positive vibes your way for good health. :)
I, like you, have been thinking of Annie as well. You have a groundswell of affection for you Annie. When time permits let all know how you are doing! Much love!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and wishes.
I didn't even know I had all these replies on this thread!

I'm doing fine!
I'm healed. I have full range of motion.
I do Yoga twice a day.
I'm on Keto and have lost weight; down from 165 to 149 and hoping to hit 140.
Feels like I haven't seen the 140's in about 10 years!

I quit the Letrozole.
It was making me feel 110 years old and giving me more pain than I wanted.
After querying my oncologist and finding out taking it would only "maybe" give me a few extra months of shitty life, I decided to choose quality over quantity. It took several months after I quit to begin feeling normal again. That stuff is horrid!

Still caring for mom.
She is frail, weighs in at 79 pounds.
Ornery as hell, but I've given up a lot of control, so things are better.

I do plan on walking this coming season.
I have 2 groups filled for April/May. I will start in Pamplona, take them to SJPP on May 1 and Joe will follow with the second group about 3 days later. People are chomping at the bit to walk. I had a cancellation today and filled it within the hour.

Joe and I are trying to decide where we'll walk beforehand.
We were thinking of walking from Huesca, but after realizing that's only two stages before Jaca, I think we've decided just to walk the Aragones again and maybe do the entire Catalan next year when COVID hopefully will be over and the situation with mom might be better.

Anyway, life is VERY good!
I love you all and thank you again for asking about me.
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.