Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Announcement Refuge Orisson

domigee

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
2020? Looks like.... nowhere! 😁
Just seen this on their website and thought it might be of help:

We hope to open the Refuge the 19th of may, see you soon !!

Attention, the future being uncertain we warn our customers that the deposit paid will not be refundable this even in case of pandemic, closure, impossibility to travel etc…
This may sound like a “rough” way for some of you but we can no longer spend time processing bookings and payments and then processing cancellations and refunds.
Adventurers who still decide to make the deposit but will not eventually be able to come or benefit from the benefit, for whatever reason, will lose their deposit which will be considered a donation to allow the Refuge Orisson and Kayola to pass the Covid. as was already done spontaneously in 2020 by some of you and we thank them again !!
See you soon, believe it

Camino Maps
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

DebraS.

Frances June/ July (2015) - incomplete
Frances June (2018)
Sounds reasonable and I hope to be there soon!

Arn

Veteran Member
Why stop after 6/7 km
keep walking
There are many reasons to stop at Orisson. As to why stop...because I can. I don't mean to be flip, but consider the personal situations of other pilgrims and then try walking the 790 km to Santiago...in their boots, or sandals. I personally am stopping at Orisson because I'm trying to recreate, as close as possible, the last time I walked from SJPDP in 2008. Without the serious injury off the Alto del Perdon!
Buen "I did it my Way!" Apologies to Frank Sinatra. Camino
Arn

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
Why stop after 6/7 km
keep walking
Same reason why some people need a bottom bed, or need more rest days, or have a variety of other reasons that none of us knows, or people who have plenty of time, or people because of other circumstances have to walk themselves into shape, or people who have realized what they can do at 30 they may not be able to do at 60 or even someone like myself who walked it at 58 and could do 30K days and two years later walked from Le Puy and that hill up to Orison was a piece of cake, but now at 67 wouldn't do it and now tries to do under 25K days. Or people who have learned to listen to their bodies and that is what their bodies scream at them to do. Not a criticism at all just a little awareness of others and their own needs and choices.

Donation to the Forum
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Holly Mitchem

Frances 2016, del Norte 2019
Loved our stop at Orisson. Such a great dinner and we met people that we saw all along the way. The Camino is more than walking, it is the people the meals, the scenery, and the space and time to go at whatever pace you want. And of course memories of two glorious days in the Pyrenees instead of just one sustained us through the Meseta in July!

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Here’s why I would stop again, and it’s a Camino story I tell all friends who get me started talking about our Camino in Sept/Oct 2018: We had a wonderful, spiritual first night at the communal dinner. We sat next to an older couple from Australia and thoroughly enjoyed them as well as the go ‘round the room of “why are you on Camino”? Somehow, the very last person asked was a Korean man who spoke little English, but played Amazing Grace on harmonica - magical! Then, weeks later in Leon we saw the Australian couple again on the street. We ran to greet each other like we were close old friends. Where else in the world does something like this happen? Orisson provided Camino magic that first night and throughout our journey!

Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.

Old Kiwi

On my first Camino I stopped at Orisson for two reasons. First, I had just travelled from New Zealand and was twelve time zones behind where my body thought I was, so I thought I would take it easy for the first couple of days. Second, I had heard that it was a good experience, especially the dinner at night. It was all I expected. There was a group of Germans there who all belonged to a choir and they sang a couple of songs that were just beautiful. When I said that I was from New Zealand, someone called out "All Blacks, Haka". So I ended up doing the Haka that the All Blacks perform before a test match and then sang a couple of Maori songs. Some time later, I walked into the little "square" in La Faba between the bar and the shop to hear "All Blacks, Haka" yelled at me from someone sitting at the tables in front of the bar. Sure enough it was the same bloke who had called out at Orisson. There was nothing for it but to break into the Haka, pack and all in the middle of the road. My friend from Orisson then shouted me a wine, so all was good. Since then I have usually been in London to visit my son for three or four days, so I am pretty much acclimatised and I just stop at Orisson for a morning coffee and carry on over the hill. I am hoping to celebrate my 80th birthday in a couple of years by doing the SF from SJPDP to Fisterra and will stop at Orisson again.

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Sean Lad

2010 to 2019 walked total of 31 caminos
On my 15 treks from SJpdp to Roncevalles I found Orrisson closed 3 times and as an early starter from SJPdP I am in Orrisson by 9am and in Roncevalles by 1pm in plenty of time for booking a bed and a lovely Dinner and Wine .
350 pilgrims leave SJPdP daily and 32 beds in Roncevalles so i leave the beds for people who needs them
Live and let live

CWBuff

This may sound like a “rough” way for some of you but we can no longer spend time processing bookings and payments and then processing cancellations and refunds.
The highlighted text is of my doing.
I'm sorry... but isn't THAT 'part of your business'? Can any other hospitality place state the same?
Imagine if any one of us says "I can no longer spend time ... doing my job"

domigee

Veteran Member
The highlighted text is of my doing.
I'm sorry... but isn't THAT 'part of your business'? Can any other hospitality place state the same?
Imagine if any one of us says "I can no longer spend time ... doing my job"
Just a thought: what if there is no staff left, what if they’re all doing something else whilst the albergue is closed?
For instance, the cafes and restaurants are re-opening in France but there is a serious lack of ‘staff’, they’ve all gone and got jobs somewhere else...

CWBuff

@domigee
I cannot argue with that - we are all too painfully aware that "what ifs" can be plentiful.
I also do not doubt that the owners are not in the greatest situation and have lots of stuff on their hand; in way I sympathize with them....
I merely objected to the language - the way it was presented.

Camino Maps
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

LesBrass

Likes Walking
yes...
Don't forget also Auberge Borda is also open just 1km further along. I've booked in for 3 September! Very much looking forward to see what this new auberge will be like... and I love the look of the single beds with privacy curtains.

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
2003 CF Roncesvalles to Santiago
2/4 weeks on the CF frequently.
Hospitalero San Anton June 2016.
Errrrr , is the deposit the full amount including dinner and breakfast?
Excuse my ignorance?

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Excuse my ignorance?
Yes, if the reservation is only for one person.
When I reserved for two people the deposit was the price for one person, with the balance payable upon arrival. I don't know what it is for larger groups.

domigee

Veteran Member
Excuse my ignorance?
I think the deposit was half of what was due, I paid the rest on the day. From memory, it was 30 euros altogether including evening meal and breakfast.

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Camino Maps

brault-singh

Sept/Oct 2015
There are many reasons to stop at Orisson. As to why stop...because I can. I don't mean to be flip, but consider the personal situations of other pilgrims and then try walking the 790 km to Santiago...in their boots, or sandals. I personally am stopping at Orisson because I'm trying to recreate, as close as possible, the last time I walked from SJPDP in 2008. Without the serious injury off the Alto del Perdon!
Buen "I did it my Way!" Apologies to Frank Sinatra. Camino
Arn
And because there’s a great camaraderie with the folks you meet in Orisson. it is almost like you are the ‘Class of September 15, 2015‘ (which we were) and we all graduated together in Orisson.

Rick Chollett

Spring of 2018.
Just seen this on their website and thought it might be of help:

We hope to open the Refuge the 19th of may, see you soon !!

Attention, the future being uncertain we warn our customers that the deposit paid will not be refundable this even in case of pandemic, closure, impossibility to travel etc…
Adventurers who still decide to make the deposit but will not eventually be able to come or benefit from the benefit, for whatever reason, will lose their deposit which will be considered a donation to allow the Refuge Orisson and Kayola to pass the Covid. as was already done spontaneously in 2020 by some of you and we thank them again !!
See you soon, believe it
If I had paid a deposit I wouldn't complain. Orisson was my favorite place to stay! After my first day of walking I was so close to quitting as I had made a few preparation and planning mistakes. Orisson saved my pilgrimage by being such an awesome place. The people and food were wonderful. I'd happily stay there again on my next one!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads