• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another backpack Question.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Looks heavy to me. All those compartments and pockets you don't need add weight. I couldn't find the specs on the 35 but the 45 is 5+ pounds and that's way more than my 45 liter Dueter. That's why I think this brand might be heavy. OMG found the weight. 4.6 pounds. Yep, too heavy, IMHO.

It weighs more than two kilos., let's start there. And looking at the pictures of it I can't begin to find it a single quality as a Camino backpack. It's a suitcase with straps, not a backpack. And that zipper is just asking to be broken.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It would work for sure. The Camino ain't technical and you could walk it with almost anything and you see all kinds of packs on it. Personally though, I think I'd find it too heavy and too big (and too expensive). Maybe look at some traditional type backpacks around 35 L or so. You can get a good one for more than a hundred bucks cheaper than that one.

That's definitely not a backpack I'd want to wear every day for 15 to 20 miles!
It's more of a portable office/travel backpack.
I really like my backpack, which weighs about half of that one, and has a suspension back which keeps the pack away from your back to keep you cooler.
It's this Marmot 36.
If you've got the bucks and want a really light backpack, look at Zpacks. I covet their Arc Zip pack.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Katie

Just a couple strong suggestions

Take the advice the female veterans are giving, many have walked hundreds if not thousands of miles. Weight on your body over this type of distance is crucial to reduce.

Do some distance walks with your equipment so you have no suprises to reduce injuries.
Keith

If you are in the States, look at the good ultralight backpack manufacturers: ULA, Zpacks (what I now carry), Hyperlite Mountain Gear, Gossamer Gear. For that money you could be carrying a lot less weight, with a much better designed pack. Or just save money and get an Osprey like everyone else (what I carried on my first CF)--you'll still be a pound or more lighter.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Their own description reads "The Outbreaker Backpack is a maximum-sized carry on for city travelers." Not really the description of a Camino/hiking backpack and yep, far to heavy. Buen Camino, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
SYates beat me to it. Their add tells you it is not a Camino pack. 'The Outbreaker Backpack is a maximum-sized carry on for city travellers.'
You will not be a city traveller, you will be a pilgrim looking to save every ounce in weight you can. Lots of good packs out there. Look at Deuter, Macpac, Mont and a dozen others. The most popular pack on the Camino is not a pack I would buy, but lots of pilgrims love them.
After three Caminos I still love my Mont 42 ltrs.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Katie,
Weight and volume of a pack are important considerations, but even more important are fit and comfort.

After many years and miles of experience as a woman hiker & backpacker, I personally only use Deuter packs now. They make women specific packs (SL - slimline) with adjustable torsos. My camino pack is the Deuter Act Zero 45+15. At 3.3 lbs, it is lightweight (not ultralight), but feels like a feather on my back. Their Act Lite SL line is great too - a few more ounces with a few more convenience features.

Try on lots of packs at an outdoor store, or order packs online from places that allow free return (like REI). Load them up with 20 lbs of weight, see what feels right.

@marbuck probably referred to Osprey but like @fenix I use Deuter packs for camino (future pro 34 SL) and for backpacking (ACT lite 60+10 SL).
Yes, Deuter packs are not as light as Osprey but they fit me great, very comfortable.
The 34 SL model has an integrated rain cover which I prefer over a poncho.
IMG_1208.JPG
The SL models are women specific but I have met men who happily use them (most removed the flower though).

I have a Tortuga backpack (the original one) and I love it for traveling. Perfect size for carry on. I took it with me to Spain last year when I traveled for 3 1/2 weeks and was taking numerous flights, trains, buses, and rental car. Never checked a bag. But it's not a backpacking pack. While it is pretty sturdy, it just isn't designed for hiking. Too heavy, no place for a water bladder, and the suspension just isn't designed for hiking.
I use Osprey and Dana Designs (now Mystery Ranch) for real (wilderness) backpacking and it's the Osprey that I'm taking on the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Katie,
Weight and volume of a pack are important considerations, but even more important are fit and comfort.

After many years and miles of experience as a woman hiker & backpacker, I personally only use Deuter packs now. They make women specific packs (SL - slimline) with adjustable torsos. My camino pack is the Deuter Act Zero 45+15. At 3.3 lbs, it is lightweight (not ultralight), but feels like a feather on my back. Their Act Lite SL line is great too - a few more ounces with a few more convenience features.

Try on lots of packs at an outdoor store, or order packs online from places that allow free return (like REI). Load them up with 20 lbs of weight, see what feels right.

I agree totally- I walked for a month with my loaded Deuter to be sure it would work

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Much too big (awkward looking) and way too expensive....keep reading for helpful comments, or go into the subject-specific section. Buen Camino.

research! don't look at adverts. try using!
Or see what others are using! I have done quite a few hikes all over Europe and a little beyond. But the camino stjdp to Santiago needs no tents or heavy loads. A Sack size of 40 litres will carry on as hand luggage and be easily big enough for your needs!
a- fits for length, b- ease of carry . c- sensible for loading and packing. d- light weight but sturdy. e- the right straps to adjust the load. f side pockets with ease of access. g read above and look for one that fits for price.
Above my price range but I would really like are Osprey, Deuter and Gossamer Gear. Deuter very popular with continental and

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am looking at trading my Osprey 2.3 pounds for a Z Pack 24 oz.
I just ordered a Zpack 24 oz Arc Haul yesterday. It might be too large to replace my Gregory Jade 34 for the Camino, but it is certainly going to replace my almost 5 pound Osprey for backcountry hiking/camping. If it would work for Camino too, that would be great. TBD when it arrives.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a Tortuga backpack (the original one) and I love it for traveling. Perfect size for carry on. I took it with me to Spain last year when I traveled for 3 1/2 weeks and was taking numerous flights, trains, buses, and rental car. Never checked a bag. But it's not a backpacking pack. While it is pretty sturdy, it just isn't designed for hiking. Too heavy, no place for a water bladder, and the suspension just isn't designed for hiking.
I use Osprey and Dana Designs (now Mystery Ranch) for real (wilderness) backpacking and it's the Osprey that I'm taking on the Camino.

Which Osprey are you using in the Camino? Thanks I ve got an Osprey 32L Escapist with weight 1.07kg which I biked with....6 weeks out and I'm still wondering if I have to switch to a Sirius or Tempest 34-36L.

Attachments

• Miles to go on the camino.jpg
    Miles to go on the camino.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Which Osprey are you using in the Camino? Thanks I've got an Osprey 32L Escapist with weight 1.07kg which I biked with....6 weeks out and I'm still wondering if I have to switch to a Sirius or Tempest 34-36L.
I chose the Kyte 46 and my husband went with the Kestrel 48. It won't even be half full (basically only carrying 3 stuff sacks-about 12lbs in total) but I can use it for short wilderness backpacking trips here at home when I don't need/want to haul my 70L pack. I tried on the Deuter and Gregory ones but they had design issues I disliked and/or just didn't sit right on me. I have the advantage of having over 20 years of backpacking experience so I knew exactly what I needed and it took me less than hour to select the right pack.
I thought that the 36L would have worked just fine for me but I wanted a pack that I could use after Camino and that size is pretty useless for me. I hate over packed, busting at the seems, packs so I would never have bought the 32L. My other consideration (and my hubby's) is that if one of us is injured or sick and needs to lessen the load, then the other can take some stuff. We would never separated ourselves from our gear. Period. (if we are so hurt that a measly 13lb pack is too much to carry we probably don't need to continue) So having a little extra space also serves a second purpose. This is not our first long distance thru hike :) This thinking won't work for less experienced pilgrims so I don't offer it as advice to anyone.

Ouch!!! 4.6 lb. just for the pack? My guess is you are less than 150 lb. 10% is 15 lb MAX Total Pack weight. And only go that heavy if you are not feeling it after carrying it for a minimum of 10 km or 6 miles. My preference would carry that weight for 15 to 20 km to ensure it is working without issues.

This is not a pack I would use or buy. But the size is a good choice. I used an Osprey Kesterel 48L pack last Summer and I over packed, pared it down and still had 25 lb. For me, I thought I could handle it but my body fell apart during the 3rd day out of SJPP. I blew the IT Band on my left leg.

The 35L is a good range. It has plenty of room for all you should carry but no room for extras, which is a good idea. Here is a link to REI and their Talon 33L. Just as a reference, not trying to sell for REI.

https://www.rei.com/product/862536/osprey-talon-33-pack

Again, only a suggestion.

Notice the weight is 1 lb, 13 oz, neary 3 lb lighter than the other one. Clothing total weight will likely come in at about 4 lb.

The first thing needed is excellent shoes, be they boots or runners. The next important thing is a properly fitting, light pack. The lighter the pack, the less added weight you will carry..... for 500 miles.

The coice being asked about is for a business traveller. It has to make sense........500 miles of sense.

Hiya!
I agree too heavy.
Based I on my research, this: http://www.tortugabackpacks.com/products/outbreaker-travel-backpack?variant=26900597257
seems to be the best backpack for me. Can you think of a reason why it wouldn't be wise to take this on the CF?

Tia!
Katie
Sept 2017
Looks too heavy to me.
Hiya!

Based I on my research, this: http://www.tortugabackpacks.com/products/outbreaker-travel-backpack?variant=26900597257
seems to be the best backpack for me. Can you think of a reason why it wouldn't be wise to take this on the CF?

Tia!
Katie
Sept 2017

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I chose the Kyte 46 and my husband went with the Kestrel 48. It won't even be half full (basically only carrying 3 stuff sacks-about 12lbs in total) but I can use it for short wilderness backpacking trips here at home when I don't need/want to haul my 70L pack. I tried on the Deuter and Gregory ones but they had design issues I disliked and/or just didn't sit right on me. I have the advantage of having over 20 years of backpacking experience so I knew exactly what I needed and it took me less than hour to select the right pack.
I thought that the 36L would have worked just fine for me but I wanted a pack that I could use after Camino and that size is pretty useless for me. I hate over packed, busting at the seems, packs so I would never have bought the 32L. My other consideration (and my hubby's) is that if one of us is injured or sick and needs to lessen the load, then the other can take some stuff. We would never separated ourselves from our gear. Period. (if we are so hurt that a measly 13lb pack is too much to carry we probably don't need to continue) So having a little extra space also serves a second purpose. This is not our first long distance thru hike :) This thinking won't work for less experienced pilgrims so I don't offer it as advice to anyone.
No matter what the weight, Osprey's are great bags. I took the 36L Kyte, but my needs were very basic and it worked out just great, with always some room to spare.
You know what you're doing. Many of us here tend to tout our favourites, but there so much quality choices out there to fit every need. Wish you Buen Camino.

No matter what the weight, Osprey's are great bags. I took the 36L Kyte, but my needs were very basic and it worked out just great, with always some room to spare.
You know what you're doing. Many of us here tend to tout our favourites, but there so much quality choices out there to fit every need. Wish you Buen Camino.
Greetings from the land of Oz,
I just purchased a Ospreye's Kestrel 38 ltr certainly feel good and a pair of Merrells Moab Ventilator shoes ,they are breaking in quite nicely, for my Lisbon to Santiago hike hopefully should be the begining of September this year Bom Camino

I have been an Osprey fan and have two, but for the Camino chose a Gregory Zulu 40 L. Both it and the comparable Osprey had similar comfort and features especially comfortable waist belts. The reason I chose Gregory is that it came with a rain cover and the Osprey required you to purchase one, at an extra $30 or $40 dollars. The only complaint on the Gregory was the rain cover tie strap was too short when the pack was full. I solved that problem with some light rope that I brought and made an extension. In a heavy wind, you don't want to lose the rain cover.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.