• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another Backpack recommendation request

Ion,

I purchased an Osprey's Aether 60 (Mens size large) over the internet and found it perfect in every respect! The quality is very good; it was durable, well fitting and comfortable and also adequate for carrying everything including the extra water, food and odd botttle of wine that I bought from time to time along the way. As a point of reference, I am 6'2", weighed 180 lbs. at the beginning of the Camino, dropping to about 165 by the end. Maybe I didn't carrry enough food after all

You might end up paying a fortune in restocking fees and return postage under your method of ordering so many backpacks just for the sake of trying to determine a preference. There are all kinds of websites that review various features and make comparisons for you. Proper fit and structure of the pack is key as the pack will become part of you as you walk.
https://www.gearhunder.com/backpack-with-charger/

Buen Camino!

Yes, Osprey is my favorite backpack when traveling. After many trips carrying it, I fully felt that it was the best of the backpacks I have got so far. Not only does the detachable backpack give me a sense of security during the trip, so I can always carry important documents with me (in a waterproof case), but this packaging is sturdy and lightweight. Especially when I spent the Songkran Festival in Thailand, my daily backpack did eventually get soaked a little bit, and soon dried out, and it can be used in the next few days!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a collection of Osprey backpacks. An Atmos 65, Stratos 50, Talon 44, Exos 38, & Talon 33. Lol. Yes. Itā€™s a sickness. My girlfriend calls it Backpackitis. I would take any one of the above packs on the Camino. Although probably not the Atmos 65. Even tho I am a big guy(6ā€™4ā€ 230lbs) it is a bit overkill for the Camino size wise I think. Oddly enough, the Stratos 50 is actually shorter than the Talon 44 & Exos 38. But i think theyā€™d all pass for carry on. Besides being a big guy, Iā€˜m also a photographer & videographer. And although my gear is minimal for a photographer, Iā€™d probably go with either the Stratos 50 or Talon 44 for the Camino. But thats me. If I left all my photography gear at home and just brought my iphone, Iā€™d probably go with the Exos 38 or Talon 33. I know some walk the Camino with even smaller packs, but i think the Talon 33 is the lowest Iā€™d go for the Camino. I do have a Talon 22, but i only use that as a day pack or a hydration pack on my daily bike commute to work. As everyone else mentioned in this thread, more important than size is fit. i donā€™t think there is a rule on size. But if a pack doesnā€™t fit, it doesnā€˜t matter what size it is. Your walk is going to suck. So fit first. Size/features 2nd. Good luck! Bien Camino!

The Talon 33 seems interesting. I wonder if I could also fit my trekking poles for the flight?

I have been walking with a Gregory Zulu 40 that is 3lbs/1.36kb. it's a nice pack, I want at lighter by at least 8oz/.22kg.

I would carry about 11lbs/5kg

Looking forward to walking in April.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
The Talon 33 seems interesting. I wonder if I could also fit my trekking poles for the flight?

I have been walking with a Gregory Zulu 40 that is 3lbs/1.36kb. it's a nice pack, I want at lighter by at least 8oz/.22kg.

I would carry about 11lbs/5kg

Looking forward to walking in April.

Yeah, the Talon is pretty sweet pack. Itā€™s a pretty light but comfortable pack. Perfect for the Camino i think. i believe trekking poles are checked luggage only. There may be an acception if they are for mobility purposes & not recreational. But i am not sure. Youā€™d have to check with the airline. Bien Camino!

going to order a Talon 33. looking forward to a Lighter Camino. lol

I did 2 Camino's in 2019 one with my Brother, we both had poles in our packs carry on, about 6 flights and no problems, maybe just good luck.

I think more to do with various security, TSA, etc than the airline.

I fly standby on Delta so I never check bags.

Last edited:
hi everyone this old thread I read most of them still got question about backpack my plan to go Portuguese route from Porto, I bought Deuter aircontact40+10 I tried them put 5 kgin its so totally 7.1 kg I think it too big for me so now I looking for new one as have many women here recommend for Osprey ( Kyte 36 or 46) , for my high 149 cm and 46 kg , the plan was camino for 2 weeks and another week for Barcelona or Madrid , any suggestion , fly from thailand as will have a few connecting flights so should I load if I have kyte36

Beun camino

Nan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.