• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another backpack to pull apart

FrancesK

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (April/May 2012); Le puy (Sept 2013)
G'day all,

I'm looking for some feedback on my equipment list as i've just completed a dry-run pack and am at just under 8kg without food and water.

What I have in my backpack:
- Ospray backpack (1.49kg)
- Sleeping bag (0.7kg)
- waterproof jacket (0.37kg)
- 2 x socks (0.14kg)
- 2 x underwear (0.12kg)
- 1 x quick dry shorts (0.14kg)
- 1 x quick dry shirt
- pyjamas (0.2kg)
- fleece jacket (0.45kg)
- Beanie and gloves (0.14kg)
- thongs (flip flops! 0.26kg)
- 2 x guidebooks (Brierley's and 'cultural handbook' - 0.83kg) - i know i know, but i love the info in the cultural handbook!
- whistle
- compass
- toiletries (0.66kg)
- first aid kit (basic blister and bandaid - 0.23kg)
- medication for asthma (0.12kg)
- sunscreen
- quick dry towel (0.24kg)
- Duetar water bag (holds 2L)
- head torch (0.08kg)
- mobile phone, charger and adaptor (0.27kg)
- passport and travel documents (0.49kg)
- language dictionary (0.2kg)
- camera and 2 spare batteries (0.34kg)
- earplugs
- pillowcase (0.17kg)
- ipod and charger (0.16kg)
- spork
- USB drive (because i have to apply for my job whilst i'm away!)

What I'm also bringing (will be wearing!):
- Hiking boots
- Quick dry trousers
- Quick dry long sleeve shirt
- 1 x socks
- 1 x underwear
- sunglasses

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sounds heavy, but then I don't think you have gone excessively overboard on anything..

also, getting weight further down would probably cost money...

Me, I would skip the guides, or at least dispose of the used pages along the way, no really I would skip the guides...... :lol:

The dictionary could go on the Iphone ?

leave the pyjamas and sleep in the shirt you walk in the next day and your shorts

660 grams for toiletries sounds heavy so does 230 for medicals, all you will need is needle-tread, bandaids and maybe painkillers (ibubrofen) you may need other stuff but one can never take all precautions and those are likely to tide you over till next pharmacy...

as for the towel for a cheap price could go down to 1/3 i think mine is 80 gram

also how does passport and traveldocuments come to 500 grams ? (that is the same as a paberback book with many pages...)

leave the pillowcase and use your towel (or else in some places they give you disposable sheets, instead of binning your first set take the pillowcase with you..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
FrancesK said:
- Ospray backpack (1.49kg)
- Sleeping bag (0.7kg)
- waterproof jacket (0.37kg)
- 2 x socks (0.14kg)
- 2 x underwear (0.12kg)
- 1 x quick dry shorts (0.14kg)
- 1 x quick dry shirt
- pyjamas (0.2kg)
- fleece jacket (0.45kg) -- [remove: waterproof jacket is enough]
- Beanie and gloves (0.14kg)
- thongs (flip flops! 0.26kg)
- 2 x guidebooks (Brierley's and 'cultural handbook' - 0.83kg) - i know i know, but i love the info in the cultural handbook! -- [remove cultural handbook, read it in advance, or rip out pages as you go]
- whistle
- compass -- [remove: not necessary]
- toiletries (0.66kg)
- first aid kit (basic blister and bandaid - 0.23kg) [cut in half]
- medication for asthma (0.12kg)
- sunscreen
- quick dry towel (0.24kg)
- Duetar water bag (holds 2L)
- head torch (0.08kg)
- mobile phone, charger and adaptor (0.27kg)
- passport and travel documents (0.49kg) -- [excessive weight; reduce to minimum]
- language dictionary (0.2kg) -- [remove: use electronic version]
- camera and 2 spare batteries (0.34kg) -- [combine with phone or buy batteries only when you need them]
- earplugs
- pillowcase (0.17kg)
- ipod and charger (0.16kg)
- spork
- USB drive (because i have to apply for my job whilst i'm away!)

What I'm also bringing (will be wearing!):
- Hiking boots
- Quick dry trousers
- Quick dry long sleeve shirt
- 1 x socks
- 1 x underwear
- sunglasses
[Add: a hat!]
Try to get down to 7 kg without food or water; you just need to do a bit more trimming.

I would leave out the pyjamas, pillowcase and compass, and cut down on the toiletries. Buen Camino!
Sandra :arrow:

I agree with the others I would leave out the pyjamas, pillowcase, dictionary and cut down on the toiletries in some way.

Personally I would leave out the cultural book also but since you love it I guess that's out... :)

Regards Therese

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks everyone! I'll remove some of the suggestions and see what i can get it down to.

One question, what do you all use to carry your travel documents in?? The reason that's so heavy for me is because i have a travel document carrier, I would hate my passport to get damaged!

FrancesK said:
.....what do you all use to carry your travel documents in?? The reason that's so heavy for me is because i have a travel document carrier, I would hate my passport to get damaged!

Hi there, FrancesK. I use a large zip-lock plastic bag for documents (approx. 0 grams).
Buen Camino y cheers,
-Lovingkindness

lovingkindness said:
FrancesK said:
.....what do you all use to carry your travel documents in?? The reason that's so heavy for me is because i have a travel document carrier, I would hate my passport to get damaged!

Hi there, FrancesK. I use a large zip-lock plastic bag for documents (approx. 0 grams).
Buen Camino y cheers,
-Lovingkindness
I do the same, but haven't found any quite so light. The large ones that can hold A4 sized documents weigh in at 11gm, the sandwich size at 4gm and the snack size about 2gm. I use the snack size for my passport to keep it dry and the large size for my airline itinerary, e-tickets, etc. I normally carry at least one spare large bag, and a couple each of the other sizes.

I have a little zippered travel pouch approx 16cmx11.5cmx3cm that can hold my passport, walk notebook, a shortie pen and a credit card or similar. It has a small front pocket with a extendible strap closure for keys etc not that I used it for that on the Camino. It weighs about 80gm, and has both a belt loop and neck cord, so it can be carried either way.

Passports are relatively robust. I normally leave the plastic protective cover provided with Australian passports at home and toss the accompanying Advice for Travellers booklet into the bottom of my bag, and hope that I don't have to refer to it at all. The passport itself goes into a snack sized zip-lock plastic bag, and is carried in the travel pouch (see above).

I can then easily carry my passport with me when I have arrived somewhere, booked into the albergue, and want to go shopping and sightseeing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Frances,
I am going to go in the opposite direction here.... mid-April could still have some cold days, and even snow. It doesn't look to me like you really would have enough to wear/ change into at the end of the day on some of the very cold wet days you might have. I don't think I would find a shirt and fleece warm enough on a cold day- I carry a merino layer as well.
Margaret

KiwiNomad06 said:
Frances,
I am going to go in the opposite direction here.... mid-April could still have some cold days, and even snow. It doesn't look to me like you really would have enough to wear/ change into at the end of the day on some of the very cold wet days you might have. I don't think I would find a shirt and fleece warm enough on a cold day- I carry a merino layer as well.
Margaret

I have been working on a Pack Volume Calculator that I think is robust enough to let others try out. You can download if from https://sites.google.com/site/mrfitzsstuff/follow-me/blog/howbigshouldmybackpackbe.

It illustrates the point that Margaret is making. To see what I mean, put in the data using summer as the season, check the results, and then change the season to spring/autumn.

The site explains the provenance of the estimating formula.
  • I have checked it for my own packing list. It seems to be accurate if I use my walking weight, ie at the end of the Camino, but appears to slightly over-estimate against my starting weight.
  • I have also checked it against a 75kg ultra-light fanatic who feels no pain walking in summer, and it estimates a pack volume of 20li, or 25li walking in spring/autumn. This seems close to some of the claims made elsewhere on what is needed.

This gives me some confidence that it is working across a reasonable range of different parameters, but I would appreciate any feedback. Send me a PM or leave a comment on my blog if you have suggestions or wish to share how well the estimates match your experience.

Regards,

I'm down to 7.4kg! I've removed the cultural handbook :cry: but that will just force me to speak to more locals about the history of a place, so ultimately thats probably a good thing :D

I've also cut down my med kit and toiletries and removed the compass and Pj's (keeping top of Pj's tho as it can be worn to hike in on hot days).

I havent as yet removed the pillowcase or trimmed the travel documents...

@Margaret, thanks for the suggestion. I get warm very quickly when hiking, to the point where i could wear a t-shirt and shorts on a winter's day but would still have my gloves and beanie on! It is only when i stop walking that i get cold and thats why i'm definately taking a fleece. My sleeping bag goes down to -15, so im comfortable that i'll be warm enough :)

@Kiwinomad06 - what does 'number of days out' relate to in your spreadsheet? It doesnt seem to like any values i enter in that column.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
FrancesK said:
@Kiwinomad06 - what does 'number of days out' relate to in your spreadsheet? It doesnt seem to like any values i enter in that column.
I think you mean @DougFitz for the spreadsheet query :D
Margaret

Stupid question...when everyone says get the weight down to 7.5kg, do they mean 7.5kg plus what you're wearing? Or 7.5kg all in?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I count it as 7 kg, excluding food, water, worn clothing, worn boots, and anything I have in my pants pockets (wallet, smartphone). It does include the water bladder, second pair of shoes, toiletries and pharmeceuticals (which will be consumed over the course of the trip so the average weight of that bit will go down daily), MMD/guidebook pages (I rip these out as I go, so their weight goes down daily as well), smartphone charger, etc. Your mathematics may vary!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've been following this subject with great interest! I'm off on Via de,la Plata in four weeks, so it'll probably be cool in the mountains. My final itemised back-pack is 7.2 kgs, and I'm using a 35 litre Eurohike pack. I also carry a belt bag which gives me an additional 1.94 kgs of daily required items. This is for a 30 day hike.
Stephen http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Pilgrimage May 2012 Weight [gms]

Rucksack Eurohike Pathfinder 35 900
Pins, clips, Pegs 128
Mosquito Spray 96
Swiss Army Knife 106 1230

Wash Kit Microfibre towel 168
Disposable razors [2] 22
Toothbrush & Paste 49
Facecloths [2] 19
Soap 20
Family wipes [40, Boots] 151 429

Medicine Pills [regular for 30 days] 45
Ibuprofen [32 tabs] 21
Bandage strips [for feet] 62
Germolene 62
Spectacle wipes [6] 13
Magnesium Pills [Cramp] 49 252

Sleep Kit Mossie net & clips 195
Blow up pillow 79
Earplus [2 pairs] 10
Sleeping bag [Quechua] 684
Head torch 156 1124

Clothes Shorts [1 pr + wear trousers] 409
Shirts [2 + wear 1] 522
Hankies [3 + take 2] 51
Underpants [2 + wear 1] 222
Walking sandals [1 pr] 735
Socks [2 prs + wear 1 pr] 146
Leather belt 164 2249

Rain & Cold Mac in a Sac Raincoat 244
Extra gear: Gloves 83
L/Weight coat 414
Long sleeve Zipfront Jacket 548
Gaiters 215 1504

Electrical: Mobile phone charger 99
GPS Charger 69
Camera Battery charger 84
Maps & Guides 144 396
Total weight on back [lbs] 15.8
Total weight on back [kgs] 7.2

Belt Bag 285
Passport & Wallet 184
Camera 218
Mobile Phone 111
GPS 172
Cap 61
Sunglasses 30
Spare Battery & SIM 36
Water belt [full] 713
Dog Dazer 131 1941
Total weight on back [lbs] 4.3
Total weight on belt [kgs] 1.94

I'm down to 7kg! I managed to get the final few off by reducing the size of towel (thanks Pieces for that suggestion) and moving my passport and travel documents to zip lock bags (one of which has a neck tie). I think i'm done reducing now, i get to keep my pillowcase, extra top for sleeping in and language dictionary.

Now to hit the trail :D

Stephen - interesting to see you taking magnesium pills, I was considering this also, I think i'll just get some along the way though if i need them. I have to ask...what is a dog dazer??

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you are still worried about weight and can access a lush store i can recommend their products. I am testing the solid shampoo, conditioner, lotion and toothpaste and really like them. One of each should last the hike and weigh much less than equivalent liquids. I still think 7k is a lot, but if you have done a 20km + walk with the full pack and were ok then there you go!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.