• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another backpast list for half March/ April

SabsP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
Hi guys,

Time again for me to post the content of this year's backpack. Will leave the 20th of March in Carrion de los Condes and have my flight out of Santiago on the 12th of April so enough time for me.
Will be the first time I leave so early ( work commitments ), other years were April/ May or August. For the spring Caminos I have been very lucky indeed ( till now ): not that much rain at all. Except for the downpours in 2013 at the Camino del Ebro, but that is another story...Also for the epilogue to Finisterre in March 22 last year I was very lucky with the weather.

Hope this list can help someone. Also remarks welcome of course.

Wearing

-173g short sleeved Woolpower shirt
-192g long sleeved shirt
-274 g fleece Haglofs
-310g Vaude trousers
-280 g Marmot precip jacket
When too hot during the walk ( hopefully ) easy to peel one or two layers off. Still room in pack to stow away.
-My old trusted Hanwag gtx alta bunion lady shoes.
-1 pair of socks and bra/underwear

-The Osprey Talon 33 : 920 g

-220g Crocs for after walk and shower
http://www.crocs.nl/crocs-kadee/11215,nl_NL,pd.html?cid=48J&cgid=women-footwear-flats#start=12
Won't win a beauty contest but hey comfortable and waterproof...;)

-My sleepingbag in compressionsack : 642g.
-136g raintrousers
-310g trousers for evening
-105 long thermal underpants doubles as pj
-220 second fleece for evening : This is an adition. Last year I noticed that when I stopped walking I chilled really quickly so therefore this second fleece. I can always use it as extra warmth at night.
-195g long sleeved T-shirt
All these items except raintrousers will go in compressionsack of 50 g.

-3 pair Smartwool socks total 175 g in small ( coloured ) meshbag. Yes, four pair of socks. I really like to keep one extra. I swap socks halfway a day and am a bit neurotic that they will not dry in the evening ( see later in list my footcream;) ).
--160 g underwear : 2 panties and an extra bra
-115 g for two small towels ( prefer two smaller ones to one big one ).
- 100 g backpackcover ( a very yellow one ;) )

- 200 g footcream, my beloved German brand Gehwol. Two different types of cream. To me no luxury.
http://www.gehwolfootcare.com/site/#gkHeader
-175 g all in one soap, toothbrush and paste, small comb
-170 g varia of minimal first aid care, spork .
NOTE : seeing I take my pack on board, regulations will not let me take medication on board. So I mailed a pharmacy in Sahagun and they confirmed me that my Belgian prescription is valid in Spain. They will have it ready when I pass that day. So out of courtesy that they are so nice and friendly I will also buy some general painkillers/ first aid kit/ sunscreen there.

-100 g for lightweight gloves/ hat and bandana
-240 g cellphone and charger ( will leave Kindle at home this time ).
-200 g for sunglasses/credencial/small green Michelin guide
-140 g for the neckwallet/small Eastpack shoulderbag for evenings ( enough for cellphone and guide and tissues ) and a nylon shoppingbag.
-65 g for different sizes ziplockbags and a pair of tissues
-225 g for my journal, I know on the heavy side but given as a present. And to be honest much nicer to write on paper than tap on a screen....

-So no Kindle this time and no Camelback bottle either ( I did not like the dangling on my waiststrap ). So back to two bottles of water.
-Extra fleece is debatable but seeing I cool down so rapidly after walking I think it will be a good idea.
-No poncho, never took one and I will take risk again. I do not really like the feeling of a poncho but prefer raintrousers/ jackets.
-No walkingpoles either. If needed I will buy just one en route.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Looks pretty good to me --- BUT Where are the safety pins??? *private joke between the two of us ;-)
Buen Camino Peregrina, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
NOTE : seeing I take my pack on board, regulations will not let me take medication on board.

Surely this cannot be true? :confused:

My husband never has a problem taking his meds in the cabin with him. He must keep them with him at all times.

I have never had my first aid kit examined by security to see whether it contains only sinutabs, anadin, immodium, etc, or other stronger life-saving drugs.
Jill

Surely this cannot be true? :confused:

My husband never has a problem taking his meds in the cabin with him. He must keep them with him at all times.

I have never had my first aid kit examined by security to see whether it contains only sinutabs, anadin, immodium, etc, or other stronger life-saving drugs.
Jill

I can only speak for Brussels airport of course.

Edit
http://m.brusselsairport.be/en/more/baggage/lag/

Yes only the meds you need during the flight.

Last edited:
I'm with Jill on this. I have never ever seen meds not allowed on board, even in large quantities. I understand that that is what the website says but a direct inquiry at Zaventem is what I would do. Highly unusual as lost or delayed baggage has been heard of before.

But ay least the Spanish pharmacy is able to help you out.

If no poncho or Altus, how do you protect backpack from the rain? I don't think I saw the backpack cover?

Oh, and I see you have forgotten the highly important collapsable bowl. :eek:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm with Jill on this. I have never ever seen meds not allowed on board, even in large quantities. I understand that that is what the website says but a direct inquiry at Zaventem is what I would do. Highly unusual as lost or delayed baggage has been heard of before.

But ay least the Spanish pharmacy is able to help you out.

If no poncho or Altus, how do you protect backpack from the rain? I don't think I saw the backpack cover?

Oh, and I see you have forgotten the highly important collapsable bowl. :eek:

Well my OH who travels alot via Zaventem confirms the regulations regarding meds.

Yes cover is included..a bright yellow thing! Alas no collapse bowl ;)

EDIT : hmm now I'm confused. Brussels/ zAventem airport says no to meds. But the site of Brussels Airlines says it is ok?
https://www.brusselsairlines.com/en...light/luggage-info/baggage-rules/default.aspx

Will call them...

Last edited:
Well my OH who travels alot via Zaventem confirms the regulations regarding meds.

Yes cover is included..a bright yellow thing! Alas no collapse bowl ;)

EDIT : hmm now I'm confused. Brussels/ zAventem airport says no to meds. But the site of Brussels Airlines says it is ok?
https://www.brusselsairlines.com/en...light/luggage-info/baggage-rules/default.aspx

Will call them...
Don't get me started about how things happen in Belgium. Still shake my head and smile when I remember living there. ;) The good news regarding the meds is that you can get them in Spain, but I would be curious: please report back on what happens in the end.

Don't get me started about how things happen in Belgium. Still shake my head and smile when I remember living there. ;) The good news regarding the meds is that you can get them in Spain, but I would be curious: please report back on what happens in the end.

Hi Anemone...well things got better in Belgium throughout the years...less bureaucracy...:D

Well just got off the telephone with the helpdesk of Brussels airlines and they confirmed me that prescribed meds plus the prescription of my doc will give me the green light to take it on board.
Ah well, seeing the people of the pharmacy in Sahagun were so friendly I still will buy the extra supply there.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Anemone...well things got better in Belgium throughout the years...less bureaucracy...:D

Well just got off the telephone with the helpdesk of Brussels airlines and they confirmed me that prescribed meds plus the prescription of my doc will give me the green light to take it on board.
Ah well, seeing the people of the pharmacy in Sahagun were so friendly I still will buy the extra supply there.
Great news on the bureaucracy and the meds! :)

I just got one of those packable down jackets to possibly take the place of my fleece. It squashed down to a tiny stuff sack (about 5"x 3.5" (13 x 9 cm)). I've been wearing it around the house and for walks. Its warm, but is warmer with my rain jacket-- the wind goes through it more than my fleece. -- You may want to look into one instead of a second fleece.

I just got one of those packable down jackets to possibly take the place of my fleece. It squashed down to a tiny stuff sack (about 5"x 3.5" (13 x 9 cm)). I've been wearing it around the house and for walks. Its warm, but is warmer with my rain jacket-- the wind goes through it more than my fleece. -- You may want to look into one instead of a second fleece.

I have one ( was included with my first Mammut rainjacket I bought years ago ) but I do not particularly like the fabric.
I have my hopes on the fleece in combination with the Woolpower T shirt.

But thank you very much for the advice.:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Sabine for the extensive list, I am starting my first walk, Camino Frances, at the end of March, due to work and access to transport only the last leg from Sarria, if you have any advice for a first timer it would be appreciated. Ivan

Like your list. We now take 2 fleeces so can double up or wear just one. One is mid-weight the other lighter. They look better together than adding a jacket indoors.
Buen Camino

Thanks Sabine for the extensive list, I am starting my first walk, Camino Frances, at the end of March, due to work and access to transport only the last leg from Sarria, if you have any advice for a first timer it would be appreciated. Ivan

Ivan,
Just enjoy to the fullest. Depending the time of year you will walk you could expect lots of pilgrims on the way.
Then I would prefer to stop in the smaller villages and not in the "official" stages/stops the guides advise you to do. But that is me not liking crowds.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
A visual idea of backpack content.Everything in a different ( compression ) sack. The orange one is my sleepingbag. No pic of socks but everything else is included. And of course not all the layers I'm wearing.

Attachments

• 20170220_163257.jpg
    20170220_163257.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170220_163450.jpg
    20170220_163450.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20170220_163620.jpg
    20170220_163620.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20170220_163643.jpg
    20170220_163643.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20170220_163831.jpg
    20170220_163831.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20170220_163922.jpg
    20170220_163922.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170220_163952.jpg
    20170220_163952.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20170220_164442.jpg
    20170220_164442.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 10
A visual idea of backpack content.Everything in a different ( compression ) sack. The orange one is my sleepingbag. No pic of socks but everything else is included. And of course not all the layers I'm wearing.
What kind of Gehwol cream is that? I've checked their website and there are several different variations. I have ordered the one in the gray and white tube that is called simply "foot cream".

What kind of Gehwol cream is that? I've checked their website and there are several different variations. I have ordered the one in the gray and white tube that is called simply "foot cream".

Posted this on the footcare thread....

In the morning : http://www.gehwolfootcare.com/site/index.php/foot-cream
I start with applying this cream a month before departure.
After walk and after showering : http://www.gehwolfootcare.com/site/index.php/soft-feet-line

I'm in no way commercially involved with this company but just love their products.
My podiatrist also recommends them . Suitable for diabetics.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.