• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another blister thread

WldWil

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 SJPDP - Halfway
2016 Fromista - The other half
I completed a 21 mile (33.8k) pilgrimage this weekend in the USA. I carried a pack weight of 3.5k (out of spirit for my Camino. It was pretty empty). The temperatures were 6-22C that day. It was a perfect walking day. 80% of the path was on pavement

Blister Prevention – Not all things work the same way for each person. I wore 2 pair of merino wool socks and changed them 3 times during the day (after airing the feet out for 15 minutes), Used the little blister prevention stick, used moleskin on hotspots (peeled in 30 minutes), used tape on hot spots (lasted 30 minutes) and got a few blisters anyway.

They were not broken, but sore.

The wool sock also gave my foot and ankle heat rash that was painful as the blisters with red spots.

I understand walking is different from running, but I never had anything like this while running and that was with cotton socks.

I ordered 2 pair of 1000 mile socks and will also be trying out nylon (Leggs) liners with smartwool socks as well. Hopefully, I can find a formula that works for me.

My prevention care worked great. So, the good news is I should have that down at least. Better now then later, eh?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Much better now than later. Good example of how you learn by testing. I had the same experience with moleskin; it got saturated and was worthless. I had better luck with taping though. I used LOTS of it and wrapped it around several times. It lasted three to four days, even through daily showers.

@WldWil

I too have been trying out various socks over the last couple of weeks. I've now settled on thin Bridgedale for the left foot and marino wool for the right foot (right foot smaller so packing out the shoe is needed). So far I've only done a few 10 mile hikes with this sock combination, but the good news is that I came out of it blister free.
With 4 months to go I still have time to try other combinations.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sounds like your feet may be perspiring a lot. In addition to experimenting with socks ( I like vey cushoned cool max socks by Feetures FWIW), think about whether you might benefit from more breathable shoes. Ultreia. Liz

Sounds like your feet may be perspiring a lot. In addition to experimenting with socks ( I like vey cushoned cool max socks by Feetures FWIW), think about whether you might benefit from more breathable shoes. Ultreia. Liz

Hi Liz, I think you are right. In fact, I just ordered a set last night.

It just concerns me that I thought I was doing everything right. I am thrilled how fast things healed. I will be doing a 5k today just to see how happy the feet are. BUT, prevention would be so much better. I think I would have lost a day trying to recover and my away time is limited.

I am putting this in the to-do box though and not the fear box.

I completed a 21 mile (33.8k) pilgrimage this weekend in the USA. I carried a pack weight of 3.5k (out of spirit for my Camino. It was pretty empty). The temperatures were 6-22C that day. It was a perfect walking day. 80% of the path was on pavement

Blister Prevention – Not all things work the same way for each person. I wore 2 pair of merino wool socks and changed them 3 times during the day (after airing the feet out for 15 minutes), Used the little blister prevention stick, used moleskin on hotspots (peeled in 30 minutes), used tape on hot spots (lasted 30 minutes) and got a few blisters anyway.

The wool sock also gave my foot and ankle heat rash that was painful as the blisters with red spots.

I understand walking is different from running, but I never had anything like this while running and that was with cotton socks.

I ordered 2 pair of 1000 mile socks and will also be trying out nylon (Leggs) liners with smartwool socks as well. Hopefully, I can find a formula that works for me.

My prevention care worked great. So, the good news is I should have that down at least. Better now then later, eh?

Prevention better than cure. Don’t go near nylon. No blisters after 22 caminos passed 100000 km in 2017. Pair of light wool socks and light trekking boots

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Why two pairs of Marino wool socks? I know some prefer a pair of liner's but I never seen the need. Spend more time learning to lace your boot for the topography you'll be walking any given day.

Why two pairs of Marino wool socks? I know some prefer a pair of liner's but I never seen the need. Spend more time learning to lace your boot for the topography you'll be walking any given day.
Scott, the original question was posted in 2015 and @WldWil hasn't been back to the forum since December 2018 so I guess he'll not benefit from your comment though others might.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back