• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another boring weather question

frida1

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April 11-May 11 2014
I plan to walk Zafra to Salamanca during the last two weeks of April. I have enough experience to understand weather is unpredictable. After reading blogs, I am still a little confused about what is likely. Weather averages show moderate highs in the 60 Fahrenheit’s. Am I likely to see temps in the high 80s or 90s? Or conversely, days (not just early mornings) of Fahrenheit 35-40?

from what I see, the most likely extreme seems to be days of rain.

can anyone enlighten me?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Weatherspark is a good place to look. According to them:
Average Weather in April in Zafra Spain

Daily high temperatures increase by 5°F, from 65°F to 69°F, rarely falling below 56°F or exceeding 81°F.

Daily low temperatures increase by 4°F, from 44°F to 48°F, rarely falling below 38°F or exceeding 54°F.

I have not walked this particular route, but have walked in April five different times. Weather in Spain is as unpredictable as virtually everywhere else!
Typically it can be wet and cold and the possibility of snow at higher elevations. The reality for my wife and I was that we had almost perfect weather in 2014, 2015, 2016. It was only in 2019 that we experienced some actual 'spring' weather where we ran into snow at higher elevations and monsoon rains on the Frances route. In 2014, 15 and 16 I was wore shorts by noon on most days and short sleeves on many days as well. Not typical...maybe we are just ridiculously lucky when it comes to weather!
Best to plan for the worst and hope for the best!
By late April it should not be that cold, but make sure you have some clothes to layer up and a good rain poncho. Light gloves and a knitted ski cap are not a bad idea. Warm head and hands go a long way to keep you comfortable. Tolerance to cold is very much a factor of where you live. I live in northern Alberta, so really Spain really never feels that cold to me. If it is 5 to 8C, I am almost always in shorts.
In my avatar picture, there was a faint crust of ice on the standing puddles of water and as you can see I was in shorts.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For temperatures, this graph from www.weatherspark.com pretty much tells the story for Salamanca. (I googled "weather averages salamanca april"). You are not likely to get temperatures in the 80s (F) in April, but days in the 40s (F) are very likely for a significant part of the day.

Sorting out confusion about statistics won't really help much. You should go prepared for the full range.

Capture.JPG

Thanks for the replies. I guess I’ll bring the liner gloves, and cap. I don’t plan on a bag, but I also don’t need to be in an albergue, so blankets should be a possibility. The last decision is rain pants. I always take them, but I’ve only used used them twice. Usually it’s warm enough that just rolling my pants above the mud is good enough.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
From the AEMet site:

Salamanca
Latitude: 40 ° 57 '27' 'N - Longitude: 5 ° 39' 44 '' W
Altitude: 775 m - Position: See location
Validity gap by variables.
Rainfall: 1970-2020 Temperature: 1970-2020 Wind: 1970-2020
VariableApril
Absolute maximum temperature (° C)30.3 (08 Apr 2011)
Absolute minimum temperature (° C)-5.0 (06 Apr 1975)
Highest average temperature (° C)15.1 (Apr 2011)
Highest maximum average temperature (° C)22.4 (Apr 2017)
Highest monthly rainfall (l / m2)96.4 (Apr 2012)
Lowest average temperature (° C)7.8 (Apr 1998)
Lowest minimum average temperature (° C)1.8 (Apr 1991)
Lowest monthly rainfall (l / m2)4.1 (Apr 1973)
Maximum gust of wind: speed and direction (km / h)Vel 77, Dir 100 (13 Apr 1989 06:50)
Maximum number of raining days in the month15 (Apr 1975)
Maximum number of snow days in the month1 (Apr 1975)
Maximum number of storm days in the month2 (Apr 1981)
Maximum rainfall in a day (l / m2)24.7 (Apr 20, 1997)

Very comprehensive stats dougfitz- what a range of possibilities! Frida1 looks like a selection of light layers and a water resistant shell would keep you comfortable as conditions change.

It’s comforting to see only one snow day and 2 storm days!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’ve walked southern caminos several years, always starting in spring, even as late as May. The weather has been entirely all over the place, hot and cold, rain and sun, etc. What I find is that if I make sure to bring my lambswool gloves, the rest of my pack can pretty much stay the same. Those gloves were a godsend to me on numerous caminos, both for keeping my hands warm in pouring rain and giving me just enough warmth to start walking when the temps were in the single digits (centigrade) early in the morning. I remember one spring Vdlp when I used my gloves virtually every morning till 10 or 11 am for the first couple of weeks.

Vdlp in spring is fabuloso!!!

I would sure rather have cold than hot, so that’s ok!

Weatherspark is a good place to look. According to them:
Average Weather in April in Zafra Spain

Daily high temperatures increase by 5°F, from 65°F to 69°F, rarely falling below 56°F or exceeding 81°F.

Daily low temperatures increase by 4°F, from 44°F to 48°F, rarely falling below 38°F or exceeding 54°F.

Congratulations and deepest sympathies on your staff appointment. May the happiest days of your past be the saddest days of your future. Thank you for your unselfish commitment. Now you can herd a bunch of frogs.
Best regards,
Tom Quinn

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It took me years to realise when travelling that average is a statistic....between max and min is what you are likely to find! :oops:
So true! I made the mistake of relying on guide book weather info for last year's CP. It was roasting hot and not what was described in the books I read or the websites I looked at. The locals thought we all were crazy for coming in September because the last 5 years, they said, the temps had been hotter each year than in August.

So true! I made the mistake of relying on guide book weather info for last year's CP. It was roasting hot and not what was described in the books I read or the websites I looked at. The locals thought we all were crazy for coming in September because the last 5 years, they said, the temps had been hotter each year than in August.
So true I chose October 2018 CP for my first Camino because I'm not good with heat....it reached 36°C 😳

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I plan to walk Zafra to Salamanca during the last two weeks of April. I have enough experience to understand weather is unpredictable. After reading blogs, I am still a little confused about what is likely. Weather averages show moderate highs in the 60 Fahrenheit’s. Am I likely to see temps in the high 80s or 90s? Or conversely, days (not just early mornings) of Fahrenheit 35-40?

from what I see, the most likely extreme seems to be days of rain.

can anyone enlighten me?
Hi there. I live about 100 km south of Zafra in the Sierra de Aracena. By the last 2 weeks of April our average daily temperature would normally be creeping into the 70's F. 80's or 90's F would be beyond abnormal. I am relieved to see that you are aware of the fact that rain is more than probable. At least it will be warm rain. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back