• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another botched "restoration" in Spain

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My apologies, I am sorry if my contributions were inappropriate. It was not meant as a political statement, therefore I tried to take the name out of the text. I am sorry if anyone was offended.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My apologies, I am sorry if my contributions were inappropriate. It was not meant as a political statement, therefore I tried to take the name out of the text. I am sorry if anyone was offended.
Sometimes the boredom/outrage just bubbles over and there we are: back on the "naughty step"again ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sometimes the boredom/outrage just bubbles over and there we are: back on the "naughty step"again ;)
I can understand what you are saying, but this wasn't the case. I really tried to tell what the swedish newspapers said about the restoration. But I agree with I ended up on the "naughty step". 😄

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If I should say anything at all about the restoration itself.. As an restoration I think it a catastrophe. If it had been a new piece it would have been art. (Not to my taste.) Everything is in the eye of the beholder.
But I suppose, it will be drawing people to see it, and photos and figures will be sold. Hopefully they will bring back the original beauty of the piece.

Really sad, not funny and for sure there are more important (and politically incorrect) things that will never be in the news ...

I have been a professor of painting and drawing techniques in a school of restoration of art, one of the most prestigious in Europe. I have studied restoration, apart from some other career.

The students of the school where I worked between 20 and 30 years ago, they were doing work experience in the Metropolytan Museum of Modern Art in New York and in Munich, among other museums.

I find the comment that Spain is famous for its terrible restorations totally inappropriate. Likewise, the comment that Spain needs more regulation of the profession seems unnecessary to me. It is sufficiently regulated and there are excellent professionals.

The problem is when in a small town someone dares to accept the help of an amateur painter who offers to "restore" an unknown and worthless work ... possibly from that moment on he becomes famous throughout the world ...

The restoration of a sculptural work, such as that of the Palencia photograph, is subject to very strict rules of action. It would be necessary to investigate which architect, or which employee of the town hall, signed that restoration authorization. And let shame fall on those people, not on the Spanish restaurateurs.

Last edited:
I read on internet that "this" happened in a building renovation 10 years ago and has been discovered now.
The building that was built in 1922 is private and therefore the town hall had nothing to do with the renovation because in this case only checks estructural issues.
It was discovered by a man who lives at the other side of the street.

I read on internet that "this" happened in a building renovation 10 years ago and has been discovered now.
The building that was built in 1922 is private and therefore the town hall had nothing to do with the renovation because in this case only checks estructural issues.
It was discovered by a man who lives at the other side of the street.
I also read that part of the facade had broken and fallen, and since the building was privately owned, the renovation was to restore stability to the facade, not to restore the work itself.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So, I guess that means we can't believe anything we read?!? 😊
Source is always a good starting point, though getting to the source is usually a challenge. Motive is always a good question: As in "why is this being brought to my attention, who gains?". When I was still salaried; these days I audit pro-bono, I'd always try to look over the hump to see who was ducking for cover. It was a neighbour that noticed. I've always appreciated my very observant neighbours ;)

As I search for articles the one thread I am finding is that this "restoration" happened 10 years ago, and is just now being noticed. No single article has the complete story. It seems as if someone reads an article and then writes another and this is ending up like a game of telephone. Who knows.... What I do know is that I have already spent too much time on this today!

No single article has the complete story. It seems as if someone reads an article and then writes another and this is ending up like a game of telephone.
Yep, that's how it goes. Best bet is to try to read something in the local news and in the local language. I wondered whether it is a hoax. But it seems to be real. This camera team from RTVE Castilla y Leon went there and local people, including the person who spotted it first, are looking at it and pointing at it. If not, it is a really elaborate hoax.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It was a neighbour that noticed. I've always appreciated my very observant neighbours ;)
These are unusual times. I'm surprised how many details I've noticed in my immediate neighbourhood during the last six months or so that I had never noticed before.

Palencia was one of several Spanish towns that had a perimeter confinement put in place recently. So I guess you may spend time sitting on your balcony and looking at the buildings on the opposite side ... ☺️

Last edited:
My guess is that it was an unfortunate handyman. Maybe someone who put the floodlights on the building, just about the sculpture, or changed a light bulb or did some other minor repair work. Put a ladder against the head or held on to it for a moment or hit it with a tool by accident and oops, it came off and fell down and was in pieces. Then got a small bag of plaster and presto ... nobody noticed. 🙃

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@FamPed !

I doubt that I am the only Forum member who finds any/all "politics" at least mildly disgusting.

It has been of much surprise to me over the years when someone has enquired as to "my politics". My standard response has always been:

"Look, we are on a pilgrimage to a common goal are we not?" ["yes" is the common answer.]

"So, WHY on God's green earth, would we endeavor to speak of things that would divide us?" [obvious embarrassment is the common reaction]

So, even given my extreme antipathy to the topic? Even so, hyper-sensitive as I am?

I had a belly-laugh at that post...and for the life of me, I cannot un-see what you related.

B

The one on the left looks very modern. 1922 sounds about right. The one on the right is post modern! It's very interesting. It makes me laugh in these hard times. 🤣 I like it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I keep reading about this event. I find comments like this in the press:
the need for adequate training, protection and investment "in the restoration of works of art in Spain is revealed.
As I said yesterday, those rules already exist.

My more detailed answer to it:
In Spain, when you want to do any kind of work in a building, whether it is outside or inside, you have to obtain a building permit. Only for certain very minor works it may not be necessary. If it is for works outside, for works on the structure, or inside, a project signed by an architect and stamped by the association of architects of the region is necessary.

This project has to be presented to the corresponding town hall, the architect of the town hall studies it, approves it and delivers it to the mayor, who signs and accepts it. Then the work rights are paid, which are a percentage of the total estimated cost of the work. Then the works are made, according to the project presented and with the modifications that may be presented in the development of the works. Once completed, an end of work document is presented.

The architect of the town hall then has to go to the work, check that everything has been done as authorized and following the initial project, and according to the declared end of works. Then he signs a document declaring the work in accordance with the initial project and in which everything is correctly carried out.
It is evident that the architect of the city council of Palencia, who had in his hands some type of project, of some type of work, did not review the work.

And this is where the part that seems most unfair to me is: the municipal architect and the Palencia city council support each other, free themselves from responsibilities, blame a supposed restorer who does not exist, since the work was done by some company of works and the artistic disaster was surely irresponsibly carried out by a bricklayer.

Why does the City Council of Palencia disappear in the whole process of the work?

Another aspect of the problem is that this figure is outside, at a certain height, and someone had to be working at the risk of a fall, with what this implies.
Here there may also be a responsibility of the city council and the architect. Did they allow that work to be done in that figure, without a project and without security measures ...?

Possibly, in my opinion, the city council and the architect committed irregularities, and both the bank that owns part of the building and the other owners, thought about the possibility of requesting a smaller, simpler, cheaper building license ... because at the after all "nothing ever happens" ...

Possibly, in my opinion, the city council and the architect committed irregularities, and both the bank that owns part of the building and the other owners, thought about the possibility of requesting a smaller, simpler, cheaper building license ... because at the after all "nothing ever happens" ...
We grab bits and pieces from the internet and think that we know what happened or have reason to believe to know what happened. Some say it happened before 2011 while others say it happened in 2017. Apparently, nobody knows when it happened, why it happened, how it happened and who did it.

The owners' association of this 20th century building in Palencia have already asked for a cost estimate and will have repairs carried out early next year to restore the face of the figure in the relief to its original appearance; other pieces of the relief that have become detached in recent years will also be repaired.

I wonder whether we will read about it on the internet in 2021 ...

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. To think that I changed trains in Palencia and was so close and didn't see it ... 🙃

Last edited:
Not so funny but still a bit funny: someone took a photo and uploaded it to Wikipedia in July 2020, without noticing "potato head". He noticed it only now, with all the excitement in social and news media. ☺️

Palencia_-_Calle_Mayor%2C_número_9_%2801%29_06.jpg

Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Palencia_-_Calle_Mayor,_número_9_(01)_06.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did find the newspaper article that I originally read, it was not a British paper but ElPais: "The spokespeople maintain that the building’s administrator informed the homeowners in 2017 that pieces from the façade had fallen off, including the face of the shepherdess. Palencia City Council confirms that they called on the owners to repair the damage that could pose a threat to public safety. They explain the building is under “structural, not integral protection," meaning that any restoration work must protect the structure of the building, but no special consideration needs to be given to its exterior decorations." The entire article can be found here: https://english.elpais.com/arts/202...otched-restoration-made-global-headlines.html

Yep, that's how it goes. Best bet is to try to read something in the local news and in the local language. I wondered whether it is a hoax. But it seems to be real. This camera team from RTVE Castilla y Leon went there and local people, including the person who spotted it first, are looking at it and pointing at it. If not, it is a really elaborate hoax.

"Even the journalists at the Cadena Ser radio network, which has its newsroom in the building, admit to being oblivious." according to the El Pais article.

I understand that others of the allegedly 'botched' restorations have turned into minor tourist attractions in their own right. What is the purpose of art - to present a photograph-like image or to provoke thought and debate? Which is the more artistically worthy, one of a million cute look-alike classic angelic sculptures, or the one-off Mr Potato Head? Who's to say what the original model looked like?

Whatever your spiritual belief, the chances of Jesus being a blue-eyed Caucasian are remote. I don't hear too much criticism of the symbology. (Apologies to any replies before my last edit)

Last edited:
I think a discussion about "what is art" misses the point. This is very shoddy work, showing a lack of basic skills required for the job.

The relief with the shepherdess that has now a potato as her face is not unique on the building. There is a second identical relief further on the left of the building with identical human and animal figures. Except that on this identical second relief the head of the sheep on which the shepherdess rests her hand has fallen off.

BTW, the architect's name of this 1922 building is Jacobo Romero and the style is apparently called estilo ecléctico historicista, a name that I had never heard before.

Palencia Calle major 9.jpg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Mr. and Ms. Potato Head!

It’s not like drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa.
Yep. It's not about art, it's about artisanship. I have a lot of respect for artisans. Which is why I don't get it that dilettantism and lack of skills and training should be elevated and such "work" preserved. Only my opinion of course. ☺️

It may be the self portrait of the workman. Lots of people have asymmetrical faces. There is beauty in different kinds of faces. Actually, Mr. Potato Head looks a bit like Ms. Olive Oyl. It has given me hours of much needed laughter. For that I'm thankful.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yep. It's not about art, it's about artisanship. I have a lot of respect for artisans. Which is why I don't get it that dilettantism and lack of skills and training should be elevated and such "work" preserved. Only my opinion of course. ☺️
I do understand, and I too would prioritise under-appreciated artisanship over the far-too-hyped ‘art’. Exceptions apply in both directions.

The example which started this thread is, of course, abysmal. But, in context, is it a big deal? A commercial sculptor in the 1920’s? Clearly talented and far better than I could aspire to, but not exactly world-heritage status either. We can’t preserve everything.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.