Another camino waiting to be discovered | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims

By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign
Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
  1. Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Another camino waiting to be discovered

Discussion in 'Viejo Camino,Camino de la Montaña,Camino Olvidado' started by peregrina2000, Feb 25, 2017.

1. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 Moderator Staff Member Donating Member Donating Member Donating Member

If I'm reading the forum posts right, there has been no comment about the Camino Olvidado for 15 months. Seems like all the attention has been on the Invierno recently, as the up-and-coming-ready-to-break-into-prime-time Camino. Maybe this is what has led an association in El Bierzo to start a push for the Camino Olvidado.

http://www.infobierzo.com/la-asocia...ere-una-alternativa-al-camino-frances/289815/

Bilbao to Cacabelos or Ponferrada, with some absolutely stunning scenery. There is one 14 km stretch that rivals any other spectacular mountain day on any other camino. The people are fantastic. I started out walking with someone, but after about 7 days, her feet told her she had to quit. So the rest was totally solitary, but it is the kind of camino where there are plenty of people who are interested in talking to you, happy to help you -- the mayors come and buy you a drink, etc.

I've been told that the marking has improved dramatically since I walked. I know that Ender has been spending some time working to put in arrows, and if Ender is on it, you know the result will be good. Anyway, it works as a nice prologue to the Invierno, too -- Bilbao to Ponferrada to the Invierno!

KinkyOne, Dinkumdigger, mla1 and 3 others like this.
  2. robermarbe

robermarbe New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances (1993), Camino del Salvador and Camino Primitivo (2012), Camino Aragonés (2014), Camino Frances (2015)
    You are absolutely right. Currently there are several associations, along the route trying to promote this Camino, its marking and the logistics. I am quite quite sure that new albergues will be built in the short-middle term. The number of pilgrims is still very limited but growing.
    I will walk this Camino from Leon, with my son and our two donkeys, on the 20th of April. I will post more info about it.
    As you said, the scenery is amazing, and you can enjoy solitude for a number of days as well as a more busy environment when joining the Camino frances.

3. trecile

trecile Veteran Member Donating Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    August - September(2016)SJPDP - Finisterre
    July - August (2017) - SJPDP - Muxia - Finisterre
    Maybe if it wasn't called the "forgotten" Camino...:p:p:p

peregrina2000 likes this.
  4. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 Moderator Staff Member Donating Member Donating Member Donating Member

That may be why some are trying to use the term "Viejo Camino";)

For those who like Santiago lore, it doesn't get much better than this. The route passes through the Campo de Santiago, which is the site where Santiago is reputed to have returned after death to fight the Moors. http://www.viejocaminodesantiago.com/leyendas/leyenda-del-campo-de-santiago/

IngridF likes this.
  5. mla1

mla1 Active Member Donating Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF (2000); Ch St. Giles (2013); Le Puy to SJPP (May/June 2015)
    I love that idea. For those of us who who find it hard to get away for more than a month. 18 days + 11 days? something like that. Perfect.

peregrina2000 likes this.
  6. VNwalking

VNwalking Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francés (2014, 2015)
    St Olav and Francés (2016)
    Baztanés and Francés (May 2017)
    I'm torn. This plus the Invierno is at the top of my list for next time I can walk for more than a few weeks at a stretch (it would be this year if it weren't for visa woes, alas). And. Tied at the top of the list is the Salvador/Primativo. Not the least because the Salvador is a pilgrimage in its own right.
    Laurie, you've done both. Your thoughts on the merits of each?
    (Now the thought crosses my mind that the Salvador must cross the Viejo someplace, right? Could one peel off at some point and head to Oviedo?)

7. peregrina2000

Hi Viranani. Now why would you want to collapse two beautiful caminos into one? :p The olvidado connects with the Salvador in La Robla, which is the end of most people's first day on the Salvador. Walk south from Boñar into La Robla, turn and head north on the Salvador. But that has a serious drawback. You will miss Fasgar and the 14 kms through the mountains. By far the most beautiful Olvidado day, though there are many nice spots.

Walk them both!!!

8. VNwalking

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francés (2014, 2015)
    :D:D
    Well, for starters I had no idea about where that 14kms is!
    Now another idea surfaces: that it would be easy to walk from Leon up to the Viejo and thence to the Invierno. A good option for those on the Frances who who're getting to the point where they want some solitude.
    And definitely a nice Camino in its own right.

Twist my arm. (Can you please talk to the visa gods, by the way??)o_O:D

9. peregrina2000

Um, I'm sorry, but I think that's a worse idea. You would have only one day on the Salvador from Leon to La Robla and then miss the most gorgeous days of the Salvador! I think we will have to talk to the visa gods.

10. VNwalking

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francés (2014, 2015)
    Well, I trust your judgement here, Laurie. :oops:
    ...But what about for someone who wants to start at Leon and go to Santiago without much company?

Please. But until Spain issues a Pilgrim's Visa (like Myanmar issues a Meditation Visa), it would likely be a waste of breath. SAD. :p

11. peregrina2000

Remember, Viranani, I'm a mom, I'm used to wasting my breath. :D

But, here's what I think after looking at a map. León to Ponferrada is about 100 km on the camino. The Olvidado from León-La Robla to Ponferrada is about 150. (These numbers are VERY rough). So if you want to add 5-7 days instead of 3-4 days to the Invierno, that's a way to do it.

But, since I don't think your goal is arriving in Santiago, the Olvidado from Bilbao to Ponferrada is a very nice "complete" walk. And don't forget, there is also the three-day add on from Ponferrada to El Acebo to Peñalba de Santiago and back to Ponferrada, which is truly jaw-dropping.

Nothing wrong with having a list of caminos waiting to be walked, though it does put a point on our race with the inevitable toll that time takes on us!

12. VNwalking

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francés (2014, 2015)
    Well, I was thinking of that as a hypothetical option more for those on the Frances who might want more quiet...to ditch the superhighway at Leon as opposed to waiting until they get to Ponferrada. For myself, if I can ever manage the combination of enough personal and visa time, the Viejo all the way from Pamplona connecting with the Invierno would be my definite preference.

As for Caminos...I expect to expire (or succumb to injury) long before I manage to scratch the surface. :D

13. KinkyOne

KinkyOne Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances ('09, '11 - entire, '14, '16),
    Finisterre ('11, '16),
    Madrid ('14),
    Invierno ('14),
    Levante ('15+'??),
    Sanabres ('14, '15 - entire),
    Muxia ('15),
    Bayona ('16),
    Salvador ('16),
    Ingles ('16)...
    I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
    Well, there's a way to go around that. Either buy a property or marry someone from EU :D

14. VNwalking

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francés (2014, 2015)
    :DGreat, thanks, K1.:D

(Neither's possible. Oh well, I guess I'm stuck with having to work off the envy that arises about how you Europeans can have loooong pilgrimage walks...)