• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another church I missed on the Olvidado— after Aguilar de Campoo

peregrina2000

Staff member
I just saw this video about a late Romanesque/early Gothic church about 9 km after Aguilar de Campoo. The church is right smack dab on the camino, and I took several pictures, but I never knew that it was worth trying to find someone to let me in!!!

The San Juan Bautista church in Matamorisca is a little removed from town, and the camino passes right next to it as you descend to the village. The church is romanesque-gothic transition, but what I would really love to see are the 14c paintings of religious scenes like the Ascension and the Last Judgment that cover all the walls of one of its apses.

I am sure the church was closed both times I have walked by, but it would be worth inquiring in Aguilar for information about how to get in!

Attachments

• 1589724488899.jpeg
    1589724488899.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We have driven past Matamorisca so many times over the years, not knowing the church was there.......

We have driven past Matamorisca so many times over the years, not knowing the church was there.......

The junta website provides a phone number to arrange a visit. telf. 675 13 65 74

In Aguilar de Campoo, I was shocked to learn I could go to the priest’s house in the center of town next to church, drop off my passport, and get the keys to go into Santa Cecilia with its capital of the Slaughter of the Innocents. I also got the keys to turn on the lights! Talk about a unique experience — all alone inside this romanesque jewel! Kind of mind boggling that I was able to do that, so I am wondering if something similar might be possible for Matamorisca, just a short 9 km away.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@peregrina2000, absolutely fascinating.

The simple romanesqe tympanum at the entrance without any carvings.

The three styles of vaulting: simple rib, exposed rib and tracery.

With the paintings (and the large reredos, where they are found) I always need to be guided as to the the subject of each panel. Only then can I judge how well the artist(s) have achieved their objective.

Thank you for bringing these to our attention

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back