Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another Closure

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the news, Ribeirasacra, I'll add it to my list of updates for the 2018 Invierno guide. I have never stopped there myself, but I know others have enjoyed it. I find that sitting down near the bridge and having a snack is just as refreshing and has just as good views as walking out to that club, which I believe had pretty high prices, no?

That makes one less stopping point between Fión and Chantada, which is a stretch without much in the way of refreshment stops anyway! So are pilgrims now going to have to rely on the hope that once they cross the river and start the uphill, they will find one of the mesones open, or are there other options? We had heard rumors about someplace in San Pedro de Líncora (I think that's the right name), but I don't think anything ever opened there.

It may have been more expensive that other restaurants in the region. It certainly was not the most expensive. I have never heard of a bad word about the quality of a meal there. I personally thought that it was a nice break for a pilgrim to have a cold wine or a colder beer. Even a cold day a nice warm coffee. ☕ The owner still runs a wine bar/restaurant in Chantada.
This was open for 10 years plus. It is shame it closes particularity in such a secretive way.
Up the hill from the village? Well there is a bodega (winery) which serves food. Never been there.
Maybe you are also thinking about the Dutchman living in Líncora? He has many dreams and so far nothing has materialized.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last year I wanted to stop here for a cold refreshment before the climb on a very hot August day, but it didn't open until 13:30 which I thought was pretty strange. After walking for over 5 hours a cool break would have been welcome, but I didn't want to wait for over an hour until a possible opening. In any event it was an extremely beautiful area, but such a hot climb! I saw only one restaurant near the top of the climb where one could get sustenance, but it looked very expensive so I walked on.

Halfway up the hill from Belesar is the fantastic Mesón e Adega do Veiga.

It has a lovely terrace outside with views back down to the river and bridge.IMG_4482.JPG IMG_4481.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I see on the sign that Charrito posted that the Mesón is only open on weekends. Does anyone know if that is the situation year round, or was this an out of season sign? Thanks!
I think that you'll find it's all year round, Laurie. They do a lot of business at weekends, not just in the summer. Anyway, the telephone numbers are there on my photo, so you can always ring up to check. If the place down by the river is no longer open, then it's a hell of a trek down to Belesar and then up the other side to Chantada without anywhere to stop. There was a fountain halfway up from Belesar, if I remember correctly.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Try it. The lease will be for only two years then you have to bid again. Maybe you gain it again maybe you will not.
At the moment the tourist office/wine centre in Monforte is having to do the same thing. In fact they managed to keep the last contract going for a bit longer because bidding was to have been undertaken in High season. If the original management failed to win the bid the whole business would have closed for a change over and/or remodelling. The way it works here!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back