• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another Consideration for October/November Pilgrims

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Here in Jerusalem the sun goes down boom, no warning no fascinating and long drawn out show of clouds and light - sunset at 1815 and quickly dark. I will be flying into Bilbao very soon, many things there I want to see and only one day to do it, Santiago Cathedral for the first sello, but also the Guggenheim Museum, the Belle Arts Museum, some time to just Bilbao around and was worried that the daylight hours were perhaps too short for all my plans. The Google Guru immediately brought comfort, sunset in Bilbao is 1945! Plenty of time!! Then I cast my eye on the time for sunrise! Again, here in Jerusalem, sunrise, no long affair, 0630 suns up and life begins.Sunrise in Bilbao 0815!!! What??!? And rising later every day by one minute. Fine, leaving home and family, recognized environment and surroundings, for a foreign country, a different time zone, a different language but it seems almost like a different planet, one where they seem to have a different sun and moon!! Noontime, here the sun at its zenith 1200 and a bit, 1400 there! And you people are worried about jetlag? It may be the least of your problems as the whole day is shifted by two hours! More for our mares and Kiwis from down under. I usually have no problem adjusting, allow the sun to set my pace but I have met quite a few people who experience difficulties. So forewarned is forearmed, simply something else to consider when planning.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My home is on the 46th parallel north, my house sits at the bottom of a rise to the west so this time of year the sun "sets" at 6:27 pm but gets dim a lot earlier than that. If I were say in Leon, the sun sets today at 7:55 pm. I'd much rather have the light in the evening than in the morning!!! YMMV

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yes, the sun rises and sets "later" in Spain. The issue is just that Spain is in the far west of a very wide time zone. It's time zone starts on the eastern border of Poland, which means that when the sun is coming up in Spain at 8:15, its also 8:15 in eastern Poland, where the sun has been up for an hour and a half already. This kind if thing always happens in areas with very wide time zones. Imagine how strange it must be in China, which is extremely wide and only has 1 time zone.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, scruffy, let's start with the tidbit that Franco wanted Spain to be on the same time zone as Germany, so that explains some of the mess. I have only walked once on a Camino in the fall, but I remember that it was dark in Pola de Lena at 8 am. That's kind of crazy.

BTW, if you have only one day in Bilbao, my advice would be to enjoy the Guggenheim from the outside and then go to Bellas Artes. I went inside the Guggenheim once but never again -- it was the sunflowers dipped in lead that did it for me.

Here in Jerusalem the sun goes down boom, no warning no fascinating and long drawn out show of clouds and light - sunset at 1815 and quickly dark. I will be flying into Bilbao very soon, many things there I want to see and only one day to do it, Santiago Cathedral for the first sello, but also the Guggenheim Museum, the Belle Arts Museum, some time to just Bilbao around and was worried that the daylight hours were perhaps too short for all my plans. The Google Guru immediately brought comfort, sunset in Bilbao is 1945! Plenty of time!! Then I cast my eye on the time for sunrise! Again, here in Jerusalem, sunrise, no long affair, 0630 suns up and life begins.Sunrise in Bilbao 0815!!! What??!? And rising later every day by one minute. Fine, leaving home and family, recognized environment and surroundings, for a foreign country, a different time zone, a different language but it seems almost like a different planet, one where they seem to have a different sun and moon!! Noontime, here the sun at its zenith 1200 and a bit, 1400 there! And you people are worried about jetlag? It may be the least of your problems as the whole day is shifted by two hours! More for our mares and Kiwis from down under. I usually have no problem adjusting, allow the sun to set my pace but I have met quite a few people who experience difficulties. So forewarned is forearmed, simply something else to consider when planning.

Sound advice. We experienced the opposite in having more hours of sunlight than expected, even going to sleep in daylight. Still suffering now here in South Australia, 4 months post Camino, into spring and still nowhere near the 15 hours of Spanish sunlight which we enjoyed each day in April and May. Jet lag doesn't come close.

Yes, the sun rises and sets "later" in Spain. The issue is just that Spain is in the far west of a very wide time zone. It's time zone starts on the eastern border of Poland, which means that when the sun is coming up in Spain at 8:15, its also 8:15 in eastern Poland, where the sun has been up for an hour and a half already. This kind if thing always happens in areas with very wide time zones. Imagine how strange it must be in China, which is extremely wide and only has 1 time zone.

Sure is strange in China. We were in Tibet for some months and everything official was mandated in Beijing time (utterly ridiculous) while the locals operated their days on Nepali time 2-3 hours adrift.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Then I cast my eye on the time for sunrise!

And in October the albergues still toss you out at 8am into the pitch dark! That improves on the last Sunday in October when the clocks are put back one hour, but it's not long before it's dark again at 8am.:eek:

Well, scruffy, let's start with the tidbit that Franco wanted Spain to be on the same time zone as Germany, so that explains some of the mess. I have only walked once on a Camino in the fall, but I remember that it was dark in Pola de Lena at 8 am. That's kind of crazy.

BTW, if you have only one day in Bilbao, my advice would be to enjoy the Guggenheim from the outside and then go to Bellas Artes. I went inside the Guggenheim once but never again -- it was the sunflowers dipped in lead that did it for me.
Hadn't even thought about going into the Guggenheim - like all modern museums, the good bits were picked up long ago by the existing curators and there is not really much left to put on the walls, leaded roses sounds not too bad considering some things I have seen. There is an artsy-fartsy 5****** hotel, the Silk Gran Domin which has both a restaurant and a cafe/bar overlooking the museum, to eat there would require another mortgage on the house but to sip the beverage of my choice late afternoon in the cafe/bar seems to be a good idea.

Am in Bilbao now. The Belles Artes Museum is wonderful. Free on Wednesdays. The art in the Guggenheim exhibitions reminds me of preschool work. However, the structure of the Guggenheim is very impressive.
If you start walking between 7.30 and 8 there is enough light to see way markings.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Am in Bilbao now. The Belles Artes Museum is wonderful. Free on Wednesdays. The art in the Guggenheim exhibitions reminds me of preschool work. However, the structure of the Guggenheim is very impressive.
If you start walking between 7.30 and 8 there is enough light to see way markings.
Thanks!

The Gug's exhibits are a disaster, yet modern art can be so interesting. perhaps poor audios, poor,educational material.

As for Franco, wouldn't be interisting to,have a study on the relationship betwwen his regime and the Camino? So,we can understand where and what we are walking by? Not for me to do, or I would not sleep at night considering my family's ties to the civil war but for others with more moderate views,perhaps.

The Guggenheim is in my bucket list, I love to see the building which is one of Frank Gahry's best.

Chris

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Yes! I enjoyed the Bella Artes much more than the Guggenheim. I did enjoy seeing the OUTSIDE of the Guggenheim though!

I loved Bilbao - enjoy Scruffy. You make a very serious point about winter walking. I discovered this on my very first Camino when I started from Sevilla on 2 January. Sometimes if the route was obvious it was magical to start before dawn and walk under the stars. But by January dusk was 6.30 or 7 pm. When planning stages daylight hours need to be taken into account.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hmmmm.... Scruffy, IMHO, you're spoiled by the climate at the low latitudes of Jerusalem. ;) Here is what it may look like in the more Northern latitudes:

Winter without sun for 2 months:

DSC00787.JPG

Midsummer night, at midnight: 2 months with sun up 24 hours:

DSC01274.JPG

Autumn: Normal:

104_0493.JPG

Returning back to another winter:

Sleeping soldier.jpg

All seasons are slowly sliding into light/darkness up here far North. Hope you enjoy this, old fellow pilgrim.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back