A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Another day/Another Camino

2020 Camino Guides

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future
started in 2013 ... the plot thickens ... 2019 is here and my feet are itching!
Recently returned from walking the southern route between Beziers -
Chemin du piémont pyrénéen -
towards Lourdes (17th September to 3rd October) in France.

Now I am heading to Alicante (5th November) to walk a few weeks the Camino del Sureste (or towards Valencia, Cuenca thence Madrid on the Levante) - escaping Brexit!

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future
Has anyone started from Elche?

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future
It begins tomorrow morning.

I've not been able to get the official stamp today, but I will try the Basilica Santa María later.

It's a bit warm for November! 22°C...

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Far too many...
Staying in Orito or Novelda tomorrow??

Everyone goes to Novelda anyway, I know… :O(

Good luck!

/BP

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future
Staying in Orito or Novelda tomorrow??

Everyone goes to Novelda anyway, I know… :O(

Good luck!

/BP
Why is that? My route was going to follow yours today ...

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future
I am in Orito, but it's now €16 a night. The Bar is fantastic for Menu del Dias ...

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future
This morning, at the Mercado in Alicante, I think I heard a special word, or one I understood? Mantequilla? But when in Alicante why would you? But this guy was an angler and got me a free coffee (so I don't understand).

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future
Just had a fantastic lunch in Petrer, but I've more distance to travel today. Sax isn't too far from here so I must carry on. No real features to the route from Orito this morning.

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future
It's now €35, ouch, to stay at the Hotel Fuente El Cura. But as I really didn't sleep very well in either Alicante or Orito it's probably money well spent - and it includes breakfast which will more than make up for the cost?

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Far too many...
It's now €35, ouch, to stay at the Hotel Fuente El Cura. But as I really didn't sleep very well in either Alicante or Orito it's probably money well spent - and it includes breakfast which will more than make up for the cost?
That's weird. I have stayed there 3 times, always with a pilgrim discount (below 30 euros). It could be someone new in the reception who is not familiar with the Camino?

/BP

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Far too many...
Just checked your blog. Yes, Caudete will be less expensive if you go to the albergue! The albergue is quaint & cozy in Summer. Just wondering if it will keep warm in autumn/Winter? The hospitalero will probably be Joaquín - he is very nice and will help you with anything!

/BP

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future
Just checked your blog. Yes, Caudete will be less expensive if you go to the albergue! The albergue is quaint & cozy in Summer. Just wondering if it will keep warm in autumn/Winter? The hospitalero will probably be Joaquín - he is very nice and will help you with anything!

/BP
Maybe it's under new ownership?

Today I begin the Camino again. Perhaps I'll start to leave main roads behind me soon? Walking with the constant rush of modernity gets me too caught up in it for my own peace of mind.

Day Three ... It usually takes that many days to get a big city or England out of my mood!

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future

/BP

La Mancha it's relentless.

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future
Keep on walking, I check your blog every day. And the weather! Yes it must be windy and cold out there when it's flat as a pancake?
I want to stop on Sunday ... A rest day. In 3 days where should I head? Levante or Sureste for a town, not a hamlet!

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future
I am so tired today. Only 17 kilometres until Minaya, but the last two days of 40+ Kms really busy me up!

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Far too many...
I am so tired today. Only 17 kilometres until Minaya, but the last two days of 40+ Kms really busy me up!
OK, as for the rest days: La Roda will be the largest place for a while, whether you go on the Sureste or the Levante from there (Minaya). I think San Clemente would be nice to stay for a while? There are no cities until you reach Toledo. On the other hand, the other stops are no hamlets; they are large enough to have all the facilities.

/BP

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future
OK, as for the rest days: La Roda will be the largest place for a while, whether you go on the Sureste or the Levante from there (Minaya). I think San Clemente would be nice to stay for a while? There are no cities until you reach Toledo. On the other hand, the other stops are no hamlets; they are large enough to have all the facilities.

/BP
The rain. It's got me. But I reached Minaya alive and not absolutely bonkers! Now I'm in the Hostal Restaurante Antolín with fine food, fantastic wine, a few locals staring at me and a most helpful host who is giving me love in the foods he shares! And I'm next to the fire!!!

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Far too many...
Holy hailstorm,

You look like a frozen polar bear in that picture! :Oo

The route splits in Minaya, as you may know. I would prefer to go to San Clemente (jump on the Levante) but it was five years ago so I don't know how much you should take my advice. At least, San Clemente is larger than El Provencio, so more things to see/stores to buy stuff or whatever.

Choose wisely in Minaya. Many a pilgrim has taken the wrong turn and ended up in the "other" place (San Clemente/El Provencio)....!

/BP

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Far too many...
Watch your steps when you go from San Clemente to Las Pedroñeras. You may have read in other blogs about a turn that is easily overlooked. But this was years ago and honestly I haven't heard people complaining for a while… Only those who recently walked the Levante can shine light on this.

I can't stand the noise in some bars either. I walk right out as soon I hear there is a shouting contest. I really don't see the point of 7 men standing in front of each other screaming their lungs out!

/BP

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future
Watch your steps when you go from San Clemente to Las Pedroñeras. You may have read in other blogs about a turn that is easily overlooked. But this was years ago and honestly I haven't heard people complaining for a while… Only those who recently walked the Levante can shine light on this.

I can't stand the noise in some bars either. I walk right out as soon I hear there is a shouting contest. I really don't see the point of 7 men standing in front of each other screaming their lungs out!

/BP
They're simply not present. They're in another world entirely separate from the one which is the Camino - the silence, the chatter of the birds and the shining of the sun!

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future
Now only two. My ankles are ragged after La Mancha

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future
Thinking February. But not Sureste. There is another way that heads via Salamanca
Levante from Toledo to Avíla then to Salamanca?

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Far too many...
Now only two. My ankles are ragged after La Mancha

I read that you have met the hospitalero in Villa de Don Fadrique? He is... interesting.

He could do with a little less talking, that's for sure.

First time around I stayed there and he was very friendly (and talkative). Another year I ran into him in the street (he didn't recognize me) and he got so mad at me because I had decided to carry on to the next village.

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future
I read that you have met the hospitalero in Villa de Don Fadrique? He is... interesting.

He could do with a little less talking, that's for sure.

First time around I stayed there and he was very friendly (and talkative). Another year I ran into him in the street (he didn't recognize me) and he got so mad at me because I had decided to carry on to the next village.
Some people just can't read body signals! It's odd really as he must know how tiring it can be to walk the Camino and the last thing any pilgrim needs is a lecture about pitfalls, etc.

He asked me to list all the ways I've been on forever ... It's impossible! This year I've been on parts of three!!!

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future
I've only claimed a Compostele once. But that was really enough ... And I really didn't know why I was queuing up for a piece of paper?

futurefjp

Camino(s) past & future
That's it folks until the spring of 2020.

And I'm already planning coming back to continue from Toledo.

Camino? It's just so addictive!!!

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Far too many...
That's it folks until the spring of 2020.

And I'm already planning coming back to continue from Toledo.

Camino? It's just so addictive!!!
Thanks for the insights on this rainy Camino… I wish I could walk this time of year as well!

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 48 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 174 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 282 24.3%