• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another GPS question

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am starting to download tracks from the Camino Torres. All was going well, until I realized that my basecamp program only has a topo map for Spain and not Portugal. I don't mind not being able to see the tracks on basecamp, so I'm not going to go to the trouble of figuring out how to download a topo map of Portugal unless I have to. But I just want to make sure that when I import the files into basecamp and then export them to my GPS, that when I get to Portugal, I will be able to follow the tracks. Does this make sense? In other words, does the fact that basecamp can't show me the details of the tracks impede its ability to import and export them? Thanks, fingers crossed that one of my regular assistance-providers will come through on this one. Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Maps and tracks are independent, and you will be able to download tracks to your GPS without having mapping for the areas around the track. You will also be able to show the track on your GPS unit but without having any map data in the background. It will be a line on an otherwise empty screen. The tools that work on a track with a map in the background will work on a track without a map, but may not make much sense without that extra information the map gives you.

Do you have the Garmin Global Map in Basecamp? The detail is not great - major towns and roads, no detail for urban areas, etc, but it would give you a better idea than having nothing.

Maps and tracks are independent, and you will be able to download tracks to your GPS without having mapping for the areas around the track. You will also be able to show the track on your GPS unit but without having any map data in the background. It will be a line on an otherwise empty screen. The tools that work on a track with a map in the background will work on a track without a map, but may not make much sense without that extra information the map gives you.

Do you have the Garmin Global Map in Basecamp? The detail is not great - major towns and roads, no detail for urban areas, etc, but it would give you a better idea than having nothing.

Thanks, Doug, did you hear me whispering your name? :) Thanks for reassuring me, but of course you've raised another question in my mind. Are you suggesting that the GPS unit might not have maps of Portugal in it? I see online that the Garmin Dakota has a basic world map, and I think that is probably what I have been using. At least, I have no memory of having downloaded a different map onto the GPS, but I would have to check back with Gunnar who was my go-to guy before he drifted away from the forum.

On basecamp, I do have the global map, so thanks for that tip. And here I thought I was becoming mildly proficient, but it's always something! Thanks again, so much, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Open Street Map project is a good source for country maps that can be downloaded and transferred from Basecamp to your GPS unit. Let me know if you want details.

Thanks, Doug, did you hear me whispering your name? :) Thanks for reassuring me, but of course you've raised another question in my mind. Are you suggesting that the GPS unit might not have maps of Portugal in it? I see online that the Garmin Dakota has a basic world map, and I think that is probably what I have been using. At least, I have no memory of having downloaded a different map onto the GPS, but I would have to check back with Gunnar who was my go-to guy before he drifted away from the forum.
You two definitelly have to meet someday and same goes for Gunnar :D

PS (I don't know if I would want to be involved in that hi-tech debate really ;))

@peregrina2000, Basecamp displays the installed maps on the GPS when it is plugged into your computer. Click on the Maps menu to display the installed maps. I have attached a screen shot of the installed maps on my GPS.

In addition, once the routes, tracks, etc. are downloaded onto your GPS, you can look at the route etc. on the GPS independently of Basecamp. WSIWIG (what you see is what you get) ... whether you are in Portugal or not.

Attachments

• basecamp - maps.jpg
    basecamp - maps.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 8
  • basecamp - maps.jpg
    basecamp - maps.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 6
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks, linkster, I am not going to be at my computer for about ten days, but I will certainly check this out when I get back there. I had thought that that tab you are showing referred to the maps installed on basecamp! But if they are the maps installed on my GPS that means I do not have Portuguese maps on my GPS. So.... @dougfitz , I may be knocking on your cyber door for help on how to download a Portuguese topo map. I tried myself a couple of times after you posted the suggestion, and it was a disaster. Bet you can't wait. Thanks much, Laurie

I am now way above my pay grade. Here is the recent message I got when I tried to connect my GPS to the computer. Any ideas? I guess I should be used to this by now, being as inept as I am with technology.

Screenshot 2016-08-25 14.13.04.png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry, no idea. I did a quick google search and it appears it might be a corrupt gpx file, but I would defer to Garmin support on a resolution.

@peregrina2000, On my Garmin GPS 62 ST: Menu, Setup, Map, Map Information (Select Map) will display the list of installed maps.

Good Luck.

I see that I only have a topo map for Spain installed. As well as a worldwide basemap. So, once I get the problem fixed, I will have to figure out how to get a Portugal topo map on there, which Doug seems to know something about.

Sorry, no idea. I did a quick google search and it appears it might be a corrupt gpx file, but I would defer to Garmin support on a resolution.

And I had never heard of Garmin support, but a quick google showed me there is a phone number I can call for technical help. Wow, I had no idea, I thought my only option was to abuse kind forum members. I will try it when I'm back in early September. Bet you can't wait to hear what happens. :). Thanks, linkster. Buen camino, Laurie

I see that I only have a topo map for Spain installed. As well as a worldwide basemap. So, once I get the problem fixed, I will have to figure out how to get a Portugal topo map on there, which Doug seems to know something about.

And I had never heard of Garmin support, but a quick google showed me there is a phone number I can call for technical help. Wow, I had no idea, I thought my only option was to abuse kind forum members. I will try it when I'm back in early September. Bet you can't wait to hear what happens. :). Thanks, linkster. Buen camino, Laurie
If you have registered your device with Garmin there is an email support service. I have found it a bit patchy.

OpenStreetMap products have good info on the road network, towns etc, a reasonable amount of geographical information like mountains, watercourses, forest areas etc, but they do not have any elevation information so far as I can tell from the Australian maps I am using that were sourced from OSM. My view is that still makes them a very useful alternative to the Garmin sources topo products.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I felt like Joos in The Way -- You mean I can CALL Garmin? Why the hell am I bothering you?!

Anyway, I got back on my computer this morning and my GPS connected fine to Basecamp, so maybe it just needed a rest. :) I will have to leave my Garmin call to the next issue.

I am hoping to start in Granada next year, walk the Mozárabe to Mérida, Vdlp to Salamanca, then Camino Torres. Since the first and last sections are untraveled, I think I'm better off with GPS tracks. I don't need them for the Vdlp.

I am loading tracks Granada-Caceres, so things are looking good. Now I need to get a Portugal topo map on my device. I have the tracks on my device, and (again, as I understand it), that will be enough to get me where I'm going even without a topo map, but the topo map would be a much better way to read the tracks when I'm in a pinch. I have seen websites like this http://garmin.opentopomap.org/ but don't really know how to proceed. Not only am I a tech idiot, I do not speak German. This one is in English but I don't understand it any better. http://garmin.opentopomap.org/

Thanks, tech pals. Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie,

When you open the page, there are three downloadable files for each country. I tried the files for Spain.
  1. the 'Garmin' file is a zip with two large files, one the detailed street mapping and the other a contours file. They are both .img files, and can be moved into the Garmin folder on your GPS. You will need about 700 Mb of space available for this. Once on your GPS, they can be accessed by Basemap, but it was an incredibly slow process if you are moving a large amount of data over a relatively slow USB connection.
  2. the 'Win' file is an executable file, and will install the detailed street mapping file (typically in the /Garmin/Maps folder on the C drive) where it is available to Basecamp or other Garmin desktop products. It does not appear to install the contours file and has no elevation data in it so far as I can tell. The maps could then be moved to the GPS using Basemap.
  3. the 'PC' file is a zip with individual map tiles in .img format as well as the contours .img files. I suspect they could be moved straight to your GPS unit, or moved into a folder (under the /Garmin/Maps folder) on your C: drive. There were over 160 individual files in this set, and no way of telling what part of Spain the individual files covered. In Basemap this mightn't be a problem, but it means that it is difficult to select just those files you might want to load just using the filing system.
I will do a couple more checks on how one might use the 'PC' file contents. If I find anything new, I will let you know.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Laurie,

When you open the page, there are three downloadable files for each country. I tried the files for Spain.
  1. the 'Garmin' file is a zip with two large files, one the detailed street mapping and the other a contours file. They are both .img files, and can be moved into the Garmin folder on your GPS. You will need about 700 Mb of space available for this. Once on your GPS, they can be accessed by Basemap, but it was an incredibly slow process if you are moving a large amount of data over a relatively slow USB connection.
  2. the 'Win' file is an executable file, and will install the detailed street mapping file (typically in the /Garmin/Maps folder on the C drive) where it is available to Basecamp or other Garmin desktop products. It does not appear to install the contours file and has no elevation data in it so far as I can tell. The maps could then be moved to the GPS using Basemap.
  3. the 'PC' file is a zip with individual map tiles in .img format as well as the contours .img files. I suspect they could be moved straight to your GPS unit, or moved into a folder (under the /Garmin/Maps folder) on your C: drive. There were over 160 individual files in this set, and no way of telling what part of Spain the individual files covered. In Basemap this mightn't be a problem, but it means that it is difficult to select just those files you might want to load just using the filing system.
I will do a couple more checks on how one might use the 'PC' file contents. If I find anything new, I will let you know.

Wow, Thanks, Doug. One of the most important things I've learned on the camino is to be realistic about my abilities. This post leaves no doubt about where my GPS abilities rank, I will get help. And I'll let you know how it goes. Muchas gracias.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.