• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another "Guide to the Camino"

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
http://guidetothecamino.com/

Trish Clark’s latest book is an informative step by step guide to walking the Camino YOUR way and draws on her own personal experience.
The book includes:
•preparation for walking the pilgrimage route
•lists of what to take with you
•a day-by-day guide to the trail (34 days)
•detailed maps
•150 colour photos
•things to see and do
•details of local history and legends, fiestas and fairs
•recommendations of where to eat, drink and buy supplies
•information on comfortable ensuite accommodation in hotels, hostels and pensións including those run by monks, nuns and religious orders
•times of Pilgrims’ Masses
•daily ‘flashbacks’ to the authors’ time on the Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Re: Another 'GUIDE TO THE CAMINO"

Guide to the Camino: St-Jean to Santiago de Compostela came about quite by accident. I returned home after a second time on the Camino trail and to keep my memories alive decided to write everything down, as it happened, day by day and in great detail. I wanted to remember every village I passed through, every church, overnight stop, the stunning landscapes, the people I spoke to, the camaraderie and even the difficulties faced along the way. Like walking the Camino, writing can be a solitary experience and penning Guide to the Camino was another challenging, step-by-step journey that required something of the same perseverance and dedication as walking 850 kilometres. As happened on the Camino I sometimes had to call on the assistance of fellow pilgrims and in the spirit of the legendary Camino camaraderie they were generous with their support.
Walking the Camino took 6 weeks, writing the guide took more than 1 year. It was time well spent and I am grateful for the opportunity of reliving this remarkable journey from the comfort of my study. And needless to say I enjoyed every minute of it. I still think about the Camino every day and following the yellow arrows across Spain taught me much about life, about myself, about freedom, about perseverance, about trusting God and about the abundant joys of living a simple life.
Through writing this guidebook I hope to repay a little of the great debt I owe to the Camino and that maybe someone who walks this ancient path might find support within its pages, encouragement in the down times, practical assistance when it is needed and advice in times of indecision. In the meantime,
Keep on walking!!
Trish Clark http://www.guidetothecamino.com

Attachments

• Cover, Guide to the Camino - St-Jean to Santiago de Compostela.jpg
    Cover, Guide to the Camino - St-Jean to Santiago de Compostela.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 2,036

Congratulations Trish! I know how lonely it can be writing a book, especially if you are writing at home and can't keep 'office hours' at home!

I clicked on some of the links on your website and the bits I read were wonderful. It's great to have another option besides the John Brierley guides, which until now have been the only really good guides in English.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thank you for such a generous comment!
Trish

Trish - can you tell us a little more - are there route maps? Maps of the cities through which the route passes? How detailed is information about accommodation? Do you list detours? What level of historical information do you include?

Thanks

John

Hello John,

Yes, there are detailed and coloured route maps in the book – 35 of them. Accommodation details include hotels, hostels and religious accommodation where ensuite bathrooms are available. Yes, detours are also included, but as I wanted the guide to be authentic, that is only to include those sections that I physically walked and experienced, the detours are not quite as detailed as the sections I covered on foot. I have tried to include lots of information on local history, the history of the Camino, sightseeing, places of interest and tourist activities, food and drink specialities along the route, and the times of the Pilgrim’s Masses. The headings for each day are Tripnote, Info (Tourist), Eat, Drink, Fiestas, Fairs and Pilgrimages, See, Sleep and Flashback as well as the most important heading ‘WALK’ which is a step by step guide to each of the 34 sections. As well there are 150 colour photos and distances and altitude details are all covered. Pages on preparation, planning and what to take are also included. I just loved every minute of putting this book together and I can’t wait to get back on the Camino once more.

I sometimes wonder if I had a life before walking the Camino?

Good luck and God bless,

Trish

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thanks so much, John. I have sent a copy to CSJ which they should receive any day now. Trish

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

So nice of you - thank you.

I'll add my congratulations as well. When you finished after a year did you get the urge to write another book, like the urge to walk again as soon as you finish a Camino?
allan

Hello Al,
No more books for a quite while! As you probaly realise its really hard work - much more difficult than walking the Camino. And like walking the Camino it was something I just HAD to do. It started off as a kind of journal for my eyes only, so that in my old(er) age I could pick it up and read about the incredible adventure I once had. However, it somehow became very, very detailed and with the help of the beautiful, generous people I met along the way, it finally turned into something that I wanted to share.
Thank you too for your generous wishes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

My wife gave me an article from a Sunday paper about this book & i ordered it online. Great decision! It is a wonderful book that helped seal the deal for me. I will be walking the Camino from St JPdP beginning the last week of August. And I will be carrying this book with me.

Thanks Trish. I am out walking the streets of Mount Isa most mornings now -- starting with smaller distances of 3- 4 kms. As I lose weight & feel up to it, I'll gradually build up on the distance. At 69 & overweight, i have a long way to go. But, I am committed & very excited at the prospect of this pilgrim walk. God bless,
Patterle
:D

GOOD ON YOU!!!! You will have the experience of a lifetime. Happy walking and a very big Buen Camino from me. Let us all know how you get on.

Guide to the Camino: St Jean to Santiago de Compostela was published earlier in 2013 and has now been completely sold out. There is a tremendous amount of interest in the Camino in Australia and being the only detailed published guidebook to the Camino written by an Australian over the last 6 months, the book really took off here. The good news is that it is now avialable in e-book format on the website http://www.guidetothecaminocom

The book includes:

preparation for walking the pilgrimage route
lists of what to take with you
a day-by-day guide to the trail (34 days)
detailed maps
150 colour photos
things to see and do
details of local history and legends, fiestas and fairs
recommendations of where to eat, drink and buy supplies
information on comfortable ensuite accommodation in hotels, hostels and pensións including those run by monks, nuns and religious orders
times of Pilgrims’ Masses
daily ‘flashbacks’ to the authors’ time on the Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.