• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

another newbie packing list - would love critiques!

stelrey

Time of past OR future Camino
CF - March/April 2014
I know how tired you experienced camino-ers must get of critiquing people's packing lists. But maybe you're bored and desperate for something to do. Ha!

Any thoughts are very, very welcome! This is for a March/April camino.

FSO weight: 7319 grams + about 1500 grams for snacks and water

wearing (assuming a dry, cold day): 2116 grams
carrying: 6703 grams (about 12% of body weight)

PACKING – 942 grams
OMM 32 litre backpack (750 grams)
Eagle Creek spectre packing cubes (2x5 litre, 1x1.2 litre) (52 grams)
35 litre dry sack for lining pack (70 grams)
daybag/shopping bag made from parachute cloth (70 grams)

FOOTWEAR – 1014 grams
Ahnu Montara boots (800 grams)
crocs (214 grams)

CLOTHING – 2344 grams
2x ultralight merino wool t-shirt (190 grams)
2x long-sleeved merino wool base layer (379 grams)
2x mid-layer sweaters – one merino wool, one fleece (523 grams)
2x quick-dry hiking trousers (580 grams)
2x merino wool underwear (56 grams)
merino wool sports bra (111 grams)
3x wool hiking socks (240 grams)
4x sock liners (88 grams)
merino wool long johns (177 grams)

WEATHER / OUTDOOR GEAR – 878 grams
windbreaker (water resistant, but not waterproof) (155 grams)
altus raincoat/poncho (340 grams ?? based on forum info)
baseball cap (for wearing under altus hood) (52 grams)
knee-high gaiters (182 grams)
fleece hat (31 grams)
wool glove liners (22 grams)
wind/water resistant glove shells (62 grams)
buff (34 grams)

OTHER STUFF – 2141 grams
sleeping bag (866 grams)
money belt w/ passport, cards, etc (100 grams)
cell phone, charger and adapter (209 grams)
journal and pen (106 grams)
keychain LED flashlight (18 grams)
emergency clip-on light (20 grams)
spork (9 grams)
guidebook (280 grams)
first aid kit (blister pads, bandaids, alcohol wipes, 5 each advil / antihistamine / anti-diarrhea) (35 grams)
nylon cord + safety pins (20 grams)
pashmina (140 grams)
half-roll of toilet paper (50 grams)
microfibre towel (38 grams)
toiletry kit (sunblock, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, S-hook, earplugs, deodorant crystal, hand sanitizer, foot lubricant) (250 grams)

I realize that my clothes are a bit on the heavy side, but I’m afraid that I’ll get cold. When I hike here (in Canada) on cold, windy days in March and April, I have to wear most of my merino wool top layers under a windbreaker to stay comfortable. I know that merino wool is heavier than the technical stuff, but I find it warmer and more comfortable.

I figure if I cut back on clothing weight, then it will be extra cold and I’ll freeze. And if I carry everything, then it will be hot and sunny and I’ll be far too hot. So as of right now, I'm planning on carrying the extra clothes – and you can all thank me for the beautiful weather. Ha!

Bulk-wise, I think I’m doing pretty well. Except for my sleeping bag (which I stuff at the bottom of my backpack) and my crocs (which I stick on top of the dry sack/liner in my backpack), all of my stuff fits into the three packing cubes, with a bit of space to spare in my pack. Still, I'd ideally like to shave another 500 grams off my pack weight.

Anyway, advice or insights are very appreciated!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I sympathise with you feeling the cold as I am the same. Your list looks good to me for the time of year so cutting it down isn't easy is it.
I think I would:-
Take one torch or the other, not both
Cut the soap in half now and store until next year - it will harden and last twice as long.
Decant 'just enough' toothpaste into a small pot (try out at home to help decide how much you use in a week. It is surprising how long a little will last)
Use the pack liner but not the cubes
None of this saves much alone, but the small amounts soon add up.

Also - Silk gloves might save you 10gms.

You might be able to see other ways to lose a gram or so here and there. I have been working on this too, but have found that there is about a 100-120gm difference between a 'good' pack weight and a 'just a bit too heavy' one.
Buen Camino

For an early spring camino, your list looks really good. You can drop the bag liner since you have packing cells and a poncho in case of rain. There is no need for an emergency light either.

A well thought out list, I think; just resist the urge to add things at the last minute.

Have fun with your preparation, it's a great part of the Camino too.

Geneviève

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions!

re: the flashlight, you're both probably right! I don't plan on being outside after dark, but I thought that I might take the clip-on as an emergency measure, should I ever get stuck, so I could stick it on my hat to make a head-lamp. But I'll probably be fine with just the keychain light. I do have a whistle on my backpack for emergencies, and I'll be carrying a phone.

My soap is pretty small (using a hotel soap), so I'm not sure it would last if I cut it in half. But I do like the idea of trying out the toothpaste and taking as little as possible! I was looking for silk gloves, and couldn't find them anywhere. I'd definitely be open to replacing the wool ones, since I don't really expect to need heavy gloves.

My packing cubes...I guess they're not strictly necessary...but I LOVE them. So much. Ha! They keep me so organized (and I'm NOT a naturally organized person). It's hard to give them up...will definitely think about it though!

re: the dry sack/pack liner, I hadn't really planned on getting one. Except that I recently read a comment from someone who got soaked to the bone (including all of her bag's contents) while wearing a altus. This made me very nervous, as being stuck with nothing dry in cold weather could be a disaster! Maybe I could just line my bag with a garbage bag...would be lighter. And definitely cheaper.

Uh-oh. I'm justifying all of my choices. I'm doing that annoying stubborn "but I NEED it" thing that I do. Ha! I do truly appreciate your feedback, though.

I actually know exactly how I could save a lot of weight (about 400 grams). But it would involve spending over 300 dollars for a 1-pound sleeping bag. VERY hard to justify, when I already own a relatively lightweight sleeping bag!

I love my packing cube (Outdoor Research football-like bags). It makes it really easy to access everything and to replace in the morning.

stelrey said:
I actually know exactly how I could save a lot of weight (about 400 grams). But it would involve spending over 300 dollars for a 1-pound sleeping bag. VERY hard to justify, when I already own a relatively lightweight sleeping bag!

Hi there. Yes, that was one thing that crossed my mind when I looked through your list. You could likely shave off several hundred grams with a new high tech bag, but at a steep cost as you say.

Re the weight of the Altus. Mine is the older model, purchased in 2007, and I believe it weighs more like 440 grams. But I know there are newer versions; perhaps they weigh less.

But the thing that I noticed most is that you are have an OMM 32 litre backpack. If that is the one with no internal frame, please make sure you do several test walks with a full load to ensure it doesn't pull too much on your shoulders. I have that bag and an Osprey Kestral 38, but I decided to go with the latter for my next walk in May, because, for me, the OMM 32 did not carry comfortably with my 6 - 6.5 kilo load (backpack included). But everyone is different. I am a larger person than I suspect you are, so maybe it just wasn't right for me. Just make sure to do several "test drives."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
how about zip lock bags instead of the packing cubes?

Our experience was that zip-lock bags worked great for packing clothes, were waterproof, cost little, and could be used for a dozen other purposes, as needed. We carried a few spares in different sizes.

CaminoGen said:
I love my packing cube (Outdoor Research football-like bags). It makes it really easy to access everything and to replace in the morning.

I love my pack bags too. :) The light ones with zippers are great, I got a few from Exped and small ones from Granite gear. I really hate having my things in a mess in the pack, or in plastic bags.

I think the pack list looks good.
Myself I would not take two pair of the same kind of trousers. I would take one pair of hiking trousers, and a skirt in the summer, or a pair of light wind proof trousers in the winter (same as your jacket). That will save some weight.

I would also take a proper headlamp, instead of two small flashlights. As I have the little habit of getting lost and then sometimes have to walk in the dark. But that's me. :wink:

Don't know if I missed something, but how are you going to wash your clothes? Myself I'm taking two (half) soap bars, one for me, and one special soap for washing wool and silk (I bought it in a shop where they sell silk and cashmere).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks so much for your feedback, everyone!
CaminoGen said:
Exactly! For those of us who are organizationally challenged, this can be well worth a few grams. Right?
Kiwi-family said:
how about zip lock bags instead of the packing cubes?
tericarns said:
Our experience was that zip-lock bags worked great for packing clothes, were waterproof, cost little, and could be used for a dozen other purposes, as needed. We carried a few spares in different sizes.
I used ziploc bags in the past on long trips, and found they worked well. But not as well as my packing cubes! I'll have to decide what's worth more to me: saving 20 grams or being more organized.
Sheesh said:
But the thing that I noticed most is that you are have an OMM 32 litre backpack. If that is the one with no internal frame, please make sure you do several test walks with a full load to ensure it doesn't pull too much on your shoulders.
Thanks for the advice! I love the feel of the pack so far, but haven't done any long hikes yet. I'll definitely be test-driving it. I was trying to choose between the OMM 32 and the Osprey Talon 33. I hope I made the right decision!
Susannafromsweden said:
Myself I would not take two pair of the same kind of trousers. I would take one pair of hiking trousers, and a skirt in the summer, or a pair of light wind proof trousers in the winter (same as your jacket). That will save some weight.
I've actually considered bringing a pair of rain pants instead of gaiters, and a lightweight hiking skirt (for hanging out in the evening, over my long johns) instead of the second pair of trousers. Definitely worth thinking about!
Susannafromsweden said:
Don't know if I missed something, but how are you going to wash your clothes?
I'd planned on using the same soap to clean myself and my clothes.

I wouldnt agonise too much, as you will soon find what you can live without - quite a bit Lol! The post offices even sell Pilgrim Boxes for people to post on what they find they would prefer to do witout rather than carry. We got ours in Vania. You collect your things in the PO in Santiago - its a well-oiled system. Then you look at all the "essentials" in the box and have a laugh. But, if you are staying a few days in Santiago it's quite useful to find them again. I unearthed my pashmina etc and wore them as a non-hiking tourist in Santiago for a week.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Personally, I now avoid ziplocks and anything plastic and noisy! Well, not totally but as much as I can. I've found that cinch sacks, the kind used for kayaking etc are better (for me). You can easily squeeze the air out, they don't make any noise, they can be color coded etc.

I bought a three pack at REI years back and now use, the small blue for electronic gizmos and wires, the middle green one was for food, and the larger orange one was for clothing. I also learned (from another pilgrim, Kat from England) to hang them on the end of the bed or bunk (or the bedpost) as a sort of "dresser" when in an alburgue. Then in the am as your finishing dressing, just stuff things in, squeeze and roll and into the bag. The nice part is your not one of "those" pilgrims making an ungodly racquet with their plastic bags!

Hope that helps. :D

Zip locks are good for toting food, and for sensitive items like electronics.
I used tiny zip locks (jewelry sized) for supplements, allergy pills, floss, etc.

But the best zip lock was the huge XL I used as a liner for my back pack to protect against
the elements.

Inside of the liner, I used dry sacks and cinch sacks.

I read the comment from the pilgrim who got soaked inside their Altus but didn't comment at the time and now can't find it. Nevertheless, at the time I remember thinking "are you sure you have an Altus". My most recent use age was at a music festival in the UK where I volunteer as a steward and was on gate duty for 8 hours a day for the long weekend. As those who live here will recall July was rather damp (an english understatement) but my Altus kept me perfectly dry through 8 hours of continuous torrential rain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
TabyJ said:
I curious what size zip lock bags anyone has used.
When I backpacked (not the same as the camino, but still a long trip carrying everything on my back), I used the 2-litre zip locks for my clothes, and the sandwich-sized ones for other stuff like toiletries and first aid kit. If you go with zip locks, make sure you get the freezer bags, since they're much tougher. Personally, I prefer very lightweight stuff sacks or packing cubes, but that's just my personal preference.
ouroboros said:
Zip locks are good for toting food, and for sensitive items like electronics. I used tiny zip locks (jewelry sized) for supplements, allergy pills, floss, etc. But the best zip lock was the huge XL I used as a liner for my back pack to protect against the elements.
I use the tiny ones for pills (ibuprofen, allergy, anti-diarrhea). I had no idea there were zip locks big enough to act as pack liners!
ksam said:
The nice part is your not one of "those" pilgrims making an ungodly racquet with their plastic bags!
This made me laugh! Honestly, I don't expect to be the first one up in the morning, so I don't think I'll ever be one of "those". But I do like how quiet the packing cubes are!
Magnara said:
I wouldnt agonise too much, as you will soon find what you can live without - quite a bit (...) I unearthed my pashmina etc and wore them as a non-hiking tourist in Santiago for a week.
I'm hoping that I'll be able to whittle down my stuff BEFORE going, so I won't have to waste any money on postage, but you're right...I can always send stuff ahead if I find that I don't need it. I figure that my pashmina will act as a pillow case. I'm also thinking that - maybe - I can forgo the second pair of pants AND the skirt, and just wear the pashmina as a skirt over a pair of long johns in the evening if my pants are dirty or wet.
Tincatinker said:
I read the comment from the pilgrim who got soaked inside their Altus but didn't comment at the time and now can't find it. Nevertheless, at the time I remember thinking "are you sure you have an Altus". My most recent use age was at a music festival in the UK where I volunteer as a steward and was on gate duty for 8 hours a day for the long weekend. As those who live here will recall July was rather damp (an english understatement) but my Altus kept me perfectly dry through 8 hours of continuous torrential rain.
Thank you so much for your feedback! I have to admit that the comment made me a bit nervous. I'm still waffling between an altus (which I would buy in France) or a packa (which is more expensive but lighter, and which I would order online, so I'd be able to test it out first).

I'm hoping that I'll be able to whittle down my stuff BEFORE going, so I won't have to waste any money on postage, but you're right...I can always send stuff ahead if I find that I don't need it. I figure that my pashmina will act as a pillow case. I'm also thinking that - maybe - I can forgo the second pair of pants AND the skirt, and just wear the pashmina as a skirt over a pair of long johns in the evening if my pants are dirty or wet.

I took a light sarong and used it as a skirt over my silk long johns, or leggings, in the evenings.
It was really versatile and also worked as a wrap in the shower, pillowcase, scarf, etc.
A great item.

I wrote my thoughts, if I had any, after each item - in italics behind it ;-) but in general I think you have already done a pretty good job. As far as I can see, nothing is missing, so don't add anything in the last minute ;-)

March/April camino.

OMM 32 litre backpack (750 grams)
Eagle Creek spectre packing cubes (2x5 litre, 1x1.2 litre) (52 grams) - I wouldn't take them
35 litre dry sack for lining pack (70 grams) - a thick garbage bag is cheaper
daybag/shopping bag made from parachute cloth (70 grams) - or a simple plastic bag?
Ahnu Montara boots (800 grams)
crocs (214 grams)
2x ultralight merino wool t-shirt (190 grams)
2x long-sleeved merino wool base layer (379 grams)
2x mid-layer sweaters – one merino wool, one fleece (523 grams) - I would only take one
2x quick-dry hiking trousers (580 grams)
2x merino wool underwear (56 grams)
merino wool sports bra (111 grams)
3x wool hiking socks (240 grams)
4x sock liners (88 grams) - 3 should be enough
merino wool long johns (177 grams)
windbreaker (water resistant, but not waterproof) (155 grams)
altus raincoat/poncho (340 grams ?? based on forum info)
baseball cap (for wearing under altus hood) (52 grams)
knee-high gaiters (182 grams)
fleece hat (31 grams)
wool glove liners (22 grams) - I wouldn't take them, the ones below should be sufficient in that time of the year and if it gets exceptionally cold one day, you can always wear one pair of your socks as emergency gloves.
wind/water resistant glove shells (62 grams)
buff (34 grams)

sleeping bag (866 grams)
money belt w/ passport, cards, etc (100 grams)
cell phone, charger and adapter (209 grams)
journal and pen (106 grams)
keychain LED flashlight (18 grams) - only one of these, remember your phone also has an emergency torch
emergency clip-on light (20 grams) - only one of these, remember your phone also has an emergency torch
spork (9 grams)
guidebook (280 grams)
first aid kit (blister pads, bandaids, alcohol wipes, 5 each advil / antihistamine / anti-diarrhea) (35 grams)
nylon cord + safety pins (20 grams) - safety pins yes, but not the cord, that time of the year there should be always place space on the washing / clothing line
pashmina (140 grams) - no, you already have the buff
half-roll of toilet paper (50 grams)
microfibre towel (38 grams)
toiletry kit (sunblock, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, S-hook, earplugs, deodorant crystal, hand sanitizer, foot lubricant) (250 grams) - looks a bit heavy, try to cut down initial sizes and re-stock on the camino, there are shops in Spain ;-)

Hope that helps, SY

Stelrey,
Hope you don't mind me tacking my query on to yours!
We will have about 70 days for wandering as far as we can (including Caminos Bazantes, Salvador, Primitivo and linking bits of the Frances, plus hopefully out to the coast) starting most probably in early May. The list above seems to be a bit more than I was planning and now I'm nervous coz I feel the cold and don't like to be wet once I've finished walking. Do I need more of anything?

UNDERWEAR
3x undies
2x sports bras
2x liner socks
2x woollen socks
long johns

WALKING WEAR
merino t-shirt
long-sleeved quick-dry shirt
cargo shorts
inov8 shoes

POST-WALKING WEAR
short-sleeved merino t-shirt
long-sleeved merino shirt
convertible pants
tights (for sleeping)
crocs

PROTECTIVE GEAR
shemagh
flip-top mitten/gloves (merino)
fleece jacket
raincoat (Packa?)

Kiwi-family said:
The list above seems to be a bit more than I was planning and now I'm nervous coz I feel the cold and don't like to be wet once I've finished walking. Do I need more of anything?

Keep in mind that I get cold really easily! And also I'm walking 2 months earlier than you, so it's bound to be colder. I know that - for me - it's going to be worth the weight to carry two full sets of clothes so that I can change out of wet gear if necessary.

Although, honestly, I'm not sure that I have that much more than you're planning on bringing, with regards to clothes (2 t-shirts, 2 long-sleeved shirts, a fleece, etc). I think the only thing I have on my list that you don't have on yours is a second warm mid-layer - which I'm debating leaving at home. I do have more cold weather gear than you - gloves/mittens, a tuque (fleece cap) and a buff - but they're all pretty lightweight and don't take up much space. I also have a windshirt (a lightweight breathable windbreaker) that I'll wear on cooler, dry days. I hate hiking in rain gear if I don't need to, so I feel that it's worth bringing the windshirt.

I bring a fleece or wool cap with me on every long overland trip. I've never done the camino before, but it did come in handy while camping in Africa! People laughed at me when I told them I was bringing a wool cap to subsaharan Africa in the summer, but I wore it almost every night during an unseasonably cold week. I was freezing as it was - without the tuque, I don't think I would have been able to sleep at all. So if I were you...I'd definitely bring a warm hat.

The one I'm bringing is fleece, extremely light-weight (only 31 grams) and cost me all of a dollar on sale at a department store. It's not all that warm on its own, but I can layer it with the hood of my fleece sweater and the hood of my windshirt if needed.

I'm also thinking about getting a packa! They're nice, and I LOVE that they can be used as a pack cover. They're just so expensive...

SYates said:
I wrote my thoughts, if I had any, after each item - in italics behind it ;-) but in general I think you have already done a pretty good job. As far as I can see, nothing is missing, so don't add anything in the last minute ;-)

Thanks so much for your detailed feedback, SY!

Despite everyone telling me not to, I'm pretty much decided on bringing the packing cubes. They're just so...cube-y. Ha! As for my parachute purse, it turns out that it weighs only 45 grams, so I'll probably take it. I don't like using plastic bags if I can avoid it.

I think you're right about the sock liners, though. No need for four pairs.

I'm definitely leaning towards leaving my second mid-layer at home - the heavier merino wool. When I air-dried it as a test, it took way too long to dry, so I'm going to stick to the fleece. I have to admit that I'm still nervous that I'll get cold. At the risk of sounding like a princess, I really hate being cold.

My glove shells aren't much use on their own...they're just goretex, so they have zero insulating properties. If I bring only one pair of gloves, I'll probably go with the liners and leave the shells at home. Of course, if I leave the shells at home, doesn't that pretty much guarantee that it'll rain non-stop for 35 days? ;)

Yep, I'll downsize to one flashlight, probably the small keychain LED. I'm also almost convinced to leave the pashmina at home.

My toiletry kit really is too heavy. I have tiny little bottles, but they seem to add up! I'll definitely think about how I can cut it down a bit more. While I realize that there are shops in Spain, the spanish stuff probably weighs as much as the stuff I already have. ;) So what I really need to do is figure out how to multitask and cut down before leaving.

Thanks again for your help!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Try to avoid any liquid in hard plastic bottles ( like sun protection Cream). Choose something similar in a tube. I decanter most liquids into mini plastic bottles - eg. Shampoo, or I bring some of those giveaway sachets that you find in hotels. We start off with half a tube of toothpaste and buy later on the Way. Same for detergent. When I re-stock, I then take with me the estimated mount of what I still need and leave the rest at the Albergue. My theory is, that if you start off as light weight as possible, once you have got into your rhythm of walking, you can probably add on a bit more weight ( the tube of toothpaste, for instance). This also goes for medicines. Just take a couple of your various favourite pills, so that you can at least take one in an emergency and THEN buy a full packet once you arrive at a pharmacy, should the need arise. As mentioned so often, Spain will have everything you need! It's just not necessary to bring everything from home! Helps the Spanish economy too! Anne

Looking good Stelrey. Multi purpose is the way to go and lots of fun to see just how inventive you can be. A few thoughts backing others. . .
Altus.. the best for me, heavy yes, but can't recommend enough, doubles up for warmth, in wind or on a bed, use to make shade.
Sarong ... the most versatile non walking item I take, lightweight bit of fabric with just so many uses.
Sleeping bag... mine weighs 420gm (you can get lighter) and I love it,even though it cost a lot, well worth the outlay.
Buen camino. Have an amazing time. Carole

stelrey said:
I know how tired you experienced camino-ers must get of critiquing people's packing lists. But maybe you're bored and desperate for something to do. Ha!

Any thoughts are very, very welcome! This is for a March/April camino.

Hola!
Yes, it seems you might want to revisit all that you plan to carry. Remember, once you're walking, you will want to shed layers. Can't imagine needing everything you're suggesting to pack.
But here's another light-weight idea for washing your clothes. Wish I'd thought of this before walking my camino last Fall.
Make Your Own Washing Machine
In "Packing Tips from Our Readers" USRoadTripper offers a creative solution for travelers without access to laundry facilities: "I went to Japan last year, and took one of the extra-huge zip-top bags with me and used it as a washing machine! I was able to get a lot of clothes into it at once. I just put in the clothes, poured in the soap, filled it with water and then agitated it around in the tub until the clothes were all clean. It made the washing and rinsing a breeze, and my clothes got much cleaner than if I was just washing in the sink."
Buen Camino!
Bozzie

annakappa said:
Try to avoid any liquid in hard plastic bottles ( like sun protection Cream). Choose something similar in a tube.

Good advice! Thank you! I found a tube of sunblock at the pharmacy...it weighs less and I expect that it will last me longer than the liquid sunblock that I had poured into a little plastic bottle. I'm thinking that I might bring bar shampoo as well!

CaroleH said:
Looking good Stelrey. Multi purpose is the way to go and lots of fun to see just how inventive you can be. A few thoughts backing others. . .
Altus.. the best for me, heavy yes, but can't recommend enough, doubles up for warmth, in wind or on a bed, use to make shade.
Sarong ... the most versatile non walking item I take, lightweight bit of fabric with just so many uses.
Sleeping bag... mine weighs 420gm (you can get lighter) and I love it,even though it cost a lot, well worth the outlay.
Buen camino. Have an amazing time. Carole
Thanks for the feedback! I am having fun - too much fun, perhaps - obsessing over my packing list. Haha! I keep getting mixed feedback about the sarong/pareo/pashmina. Maybe I'll end up bringing one after all! Where did you buy yours? My pashmina weighs 140 grams, and I'm sure I can find something lighter. I used to see sarongs in downtown markets when I lived in the city, but now I live in the middle of farmland. Not a lot of sarongs in these parts!

stelrey said:
annakappa said:
Try to avoid any liquid in hard plastic bottles ( like sun protection Cream). Choose something similar in a tube.

Good advice! Thank you! I found a tube of sunblock at the pharmacy...it weighs less and I expect that it will last me longer than the liquid sunblock that I had poured into a little plastic bottle. I'm thinking that I might bring bar shampoo as well!

Just make sure it is a "screw tube" and not a "snap open" tube. You really don't want to have anything in your backpack that opens easily with a bit of pressure. Been there, got the t-shirt - or the foamy mess better said ;-) SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bozzie said:
Yes, it seems you might want to revisit all that you plan to carry. Remember, once you're walking, you will want to shed layers. Can't imagine needing everything you're suggesting to pack.
But here's another light-weight idea for washing your clothes. Wish I'd thought of this before walking my camino last Fall.
Make Your Own Washing Machine
In "Packing Tips from Our Readers" USRoadTripper offers a creative solution for travelers without access to laundry facilities: "I went to Japan last year, and took one of the extra-huge zip-top bags with me and used it as a washing machine! I was able to get a lot of clothes into it at once. I just put in the clothes, poured in the soap, filled it with water and then agitated it around in the tub until the clothes were all clean. It made the washing and rinsing a breeze, and my clothes got much cleaner than if I was just washing in the sink."
Buen Camino!
Bozzie
Yes, I'm definitely rethinking - and rethinking and rethinking - my clothes. I do feel like I should have 2 full changes of clothes, but I'm looking for ways to keep things lighter. Thanks for that washing tip! What a neat idea...I'll have to try it out!

SYates said:
Just make sure it is a "screw tube" and not a "snap open" tube. You really don't want to have anything in your backpack that opens easily with a bit of pressure. Been there, got the t-shirt - or the foamy mess better said ;-) SY
...and back to the pharmacy I go. :lol:

stelrey said:
SYates said:
...and back to the pharmacy I go. :lol:

You should be able to get empty "screw bottles" ready to fill with your favorite liquid in any outdoor store - pharmacies are FAR too expensive, at least in my part of the world, SY

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
For the first 2 caminos I took a cotton sarong/pareo bought on holiday in Thailand, too heavy, but now have a lighter weight cotton, longish, wrap skirt with a tie in same fabic. I probably bought it on holiday somewhere, but any piece of light weight cotton or non static fabric would do it. The tie means the fabric can be shorter in wrap around length than a sarong, but it's still wide enough to use for all sorts of things, skirt, scarf, shawl, over leggings for evenings, or sleeping, curtain, tablecloth, to sit on beside the track, towel, etc. So useful...

I only take...
.. a pair of wide legged shorts, which I generally walk in, or use over leggings of an evening. (very fashionable!!)
..one pair of zip off hiking trousers
.. one leggings (walking, evening, sleeping)
.. sarong/ skirt

Everything must be quick dry. No special pyjamas, either sleep in what you are going to walk in next day or leggings or sarong or knickers. Measurements ...

wrap skirt = width 130cm x length 92cm. Weight = 160gms
. . . . . .. 51+ inch x 36+inch
sarong = width 154cm x 122cm. Weight = 210 gms
. . . .. .. 61 in x 48 in (approx)
ties of wrap skirt = 70cm x 3cm and 15cm x 3cm

Actually the weight difference is not so great after all, but the wrap skirt variety is more versatile and less bulky. Depends on the fabric used. Hope this all makes sense and has been some help. If your pashmina is big enough, it would be fine. :eek:

Revisiting your clothing.

1. Loved my Ahnu Montaras! Did you get inserts? Look into it. My feet really needed inserts and I did not bring them. The shoes were very comfortable. I did buy them one half size larger and was very happy about that.

2. March April is unpredictable so I do sympathize on being afraid of being cold. Review your choices and hone to 1 outfit for daytime/walking and 1 for nighttime hanging out (eating, visiting sites). i slept in my undies for the next day. Albuergues have blankets, ask for them, if you think you'll be too cold at night. I was not cold and I get cold very easily. I walked in April (just got back last week). There were some days that I was waaaay too hot. Your metabolism goes on overdrive after walking 20k+ a day. I think your wool choices are excellent. I started out the day with a shirt, fleece, and jacket while ending most days in short sleeves.

SYates said:
You should be able to get empty "screw bottles" ready to fill with your favorite liquid in any outdoor store - pharmacies are FAR too expensive, at least in my part of the world
Pharmacies here are generally like big box stores...cheap and plentiful!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
stelrey said:
Pharmacies here are generally like big box stores...cheap and plentiful!

Lol, other countries, other pharmacy prices! In my part of the world "pharmacy price" is a synonym for "expensive / overpriced" ;-) SY

CaroleH said:
Everything must be quick dry. No special pyjamas, either sleep in what you are going to walk in next day or leggings or sarong or knickers. Measurements ...

wrap skirt = width 130cm x length 92cm. Weight = 160gms
. . . . . .. 51+ inch x 36+inch
sarong = width 154cm x 122cm. Weight = 210 gms
. . . .. .. 61 in x 48 in (approx)
ties of wrap skirt = 70cm x 3cm and 15cm x 3cm

Actually the weight difference is not so great after all, but the wrap skirt variety is more versatile and less bulky. Depends on the fabric used. Hope this all makes sense and has been some help. If your pashmina is big enough, it would be fine. :eek:
I've been sleeping in my merino wool long johns, and they're HOT. I'm thinking that I might bring silk instead...much lighter, and yet still warm. As for your wrap vs sarong...I think 50 grams is a big enough weight difference to mention!

FrancineM said:

1. Loved my Ahnu Montaras! Did you get inserts? Look into it. My feet really needed inserts and I did not bring them. The shoes were very comfortable. I did buy them one half size larger and was very happy about that.

2. March April is unpredictable so I do sympathize on being afraid of being cold. Review your choices and hone to 1 outfit for daytime/walking and 1 for nighttime hanging out (eating, visiting sites). i slept in my undies for the next day. Albuergues have blankets, ask for them, if you think you'll be too cold at night. I was not cold and I get cold very easily. I walked in April (just got back last week). There were some days that I was waaaay too hot. Your metabolism goes on overdrive after walking 20k+ a day. I think your wool choices are excellent. I started out the day with a shirt, fleece, and jacket while ending most days in short sleeves.
1. my ahnus are so beautiful! I love them, and I love how they feel. I went one half size larger, although I'm kind of wondering if I should have gone a full size instead. They fill well, though. By inserts, do you mean the ones you can buy in stores? Any particular suggestions? Would you just stick them directly into the boot?

2. Thanks for the feedback on the weather. I almost feel like it would be easier to pick clothes if I were walking in the heat of July or the dead of winter! Shoulder-seasons can be tricky. I've actually been considering bringing along a lightweight down jacket. After reading your message, I think that might be going a bit overboard.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
stelrey said:
... I've actually been considering bringing along a lightweight down jacket. After reading your message, I think that might be going a bit overboard.

I agree, that would be a tiny bit OTT ;-) Also consider that down doesn't insulate well when wet and rain is always a possibility, and a certainty in Galicia, in the shoulder seasons! SY

stelrey said:
FrancineM said:

1. my ahnus are so beautiful! I love them, and I love how they feel. I went one half size larger, although I'm kind of wondering if I should have gone a full size instead. They fill well, though. By inserts, do you mean the ones you can buy in stores? Any particular suggestions? Would you just stick them directly into the boot?

2. Thanks for the feedback on the weather. I almost feel like it would be easier to pick clothes if I were walking in the heat of July or the dead of winter! Shoulder-seasons can be tricky. I've actually been considering bringing along a lightweight down jacket. After reading your message, I think that might be going a bit overboard.

I trained in a pair of Ahnus and got another pair about a month before leaving to break them in. Good thing I did, too. My husband wore his Keens that he'd been training in and wore through them before Leon. I had to bring his backups with me when I met up with him in Leon.

My husband brought some Dr. Scholl inserts with him, in his shoes. He also brought a pair of more pricey inserts he had purchased at a walking store that he'd been fitted for. Halfway through the Camino or so, he'd tossed out the Dr. Scholls as he'd worn through those and was wearing the more expensive inserts. I regret not having followed his example. It seems like his feet felt better at the end of the day. The more people I spoke to on the Camino, the more I heard about inserts and orthotics for people's shoes in their preparation process.

Quick packing questions

Getting ready to pack. Items are laid out on the bed. Leave next week. Some thoughts as I read through this thread:
1. I have some tubes of Voltaren. Should I take one?
2. Should I bring spork/knife,fork,spoon/mug/plate, etc.?
3. Is Compeed the same as moleskin?
4. Are there Decathlon stores in Spain along the Camino Frances?
Thanks.
- Kathy

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Re: Quick packing questions

FooteK said:
Getting ready to pack. Items are laid out on the bed. Leave next week. Some thoughts as I read through this thread:
Thanks.
- Kathy

1x voltaren - yes
spork and small bowl for each person, one small sharp knife for the whole family is our preference so that we can prepare our own food easily (many people do not bother) - many a pilgrim looked longingly at our bowls of muesli fruit and yoghurt before we set off

Kiwi-family said:
1x voltaren - yes
one small sharp knife f

Ditto on the sharp knife, most Albergue kitchens have knives, almost none have sharp knives!

Wine drinkers add a cork screw, Spain hasn't discovered screw to wine bottles as yet:)

Voltaren, I would not worry packing any, farmacias are the most common store along the Camino and everything that a pilgrim could need is available at reasonable prices. One exception, If you think you may need tape for your feet I would take that, the quality of the tape sold in Spain was from my previous experience poor.

Re: Quick packing questions

FooteK said:
Thanks.
- Kathy
1. no idea
2. I did not use my spork at all. I do not regret taking it. I also did not use my cup.
3. Compeed is NOT the same as Moleskin. Compeed is a silicone skin. You can get some at any Farmacia in Spain. Most towns (note: Town, not village) have one.
4. What's a Decathlon store?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hai Kathy .
1. Voltaren might be useful. If its the small size tube, wheel you could take one. You will find it easily in any pharmacy in Spain. Don't know about you, but for us, it's far cheaper in Spain!
2. We take a plastic fork and small spoon. We buy in Spain a pocket knife, which can't be taken on the plane, so we always give it away on the last day. No mug, no plate!
3. No.
4. There are plenty of Decathlon stores in Spain, but they are always located in shopping centers outside the towns, so more than likely, no where near the Camino.
Buen Camino ! Anne

Re Decathalon Stores. They are mostly in shopping centres on the outskirts of cities as already advised, but do not ignore El Corte Inglis dept stores which all over Spain and in the big cities such as Madrid and Barcelona they have excellent sports sections stocking all the equipment and spares parts such as buckles for a Camino.

FrancineM said:
I trained in a pair of Ahnus and got another pair about a month before leaving to break them in. Good thing I did, too. My husband wore his Keens that he'd been training in and wore through them before Leon. I had to bring his backups with me when I met up with him in Leon.

My husband brought some Dr. Scholl inserts with him, in his shoes. He also brought a pair of more pricey inserts he had purchased at a walking store that he'd been fitted for. Halfway through the Camino or so, he'd tossed out the Dr. Scholls as he'd worn through those and was wearing the more expensive inserts. I regret not having followed his example. It seems like his feet felt better at the end of the day. The more people I spoke to on the Camino, the more I heard about inserts and orthotics for people's shoes in their preparation process.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely look into inserts.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.