• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another one bites the dust

A

Anemone del Camino

After a quiet afternoon in Fisterra, a visit to the faro and a night in a comfy bed at albergue Oceanus (highly recommended), I decided to send my backpack ahead to Lires, only 15 km away. I packed my day bag, had breakfast, ordered a serrano bocadillo with letuce and tomato to go and headed out. Made it up the hill, turned right at the San Roque restaurant, walked uphill ... and turned back.

It's a splendid day to walk, I am tired but not in pain (voltaren last night, Advil this morning), but I have had it talking to myself about how to make it, and why I should.

I am now waiting for the mochila service to hop on board with my bag to Lires where a room is waiting for me.

I had already been thinking that 2 weeks, and not 3, would be just fine, if not also more motivating. But the 3 annual weeks away on the Camino are key to my weight management (otherwise far from managed). Also thinking that I may have had enough of walking alone, yera after year. And then there's the fact that the Portugueses does not share the beauty of my last two walks. Although the views of Fisterra yesterday were beautiful and I'm sure the walk to Lures would be as well.

Is it time to find another way to unplug, lose weight, challenge the body and the mind, while healin the heart while on vacation? Could my next Camino be a stationary one, working as a hospi somewhere? Or do I try 2 weeks? Let's say a combination of two of the Salvador, Invierno, Ingles, and epilogue? It has been a few years since I've spent time diving off a livaboard... And that ticks all the boxes, except for budget. :eek:

Clouds are slowly coming in into the bay. It will rain tomorrow. Perhaps I will walk tomorrow, or not.

Will walk number 7 be the lucky one that doesn't have me fighting my mind?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am curious to find out how the Mafate shoes held up?

Understood your message , sort of:
I was scheduled to start Camino number six earlier this week but then my doctor said two weeks ago I needed some tests because he was concerned about my hiking in Spain far away from health resources.
Pain has been part and parcel to my walks since 2013, but I have found walking for long hours is the best therapy for the neuropathy in my right foot. Now the nerve pain has moved to my abdomen.
I am hoping to be back in September 2016 and I am considering doing the Camino from Pamplona or Burgos on a bike.
I totally sympathize with your wishes. Is there a good place for us to hang out and serve pilgrims?
Mine was San Anton but that is only a temporary assignment.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
After a quiet afternoon in Fisterra, a visit to the faro and a night in a comfy bed at albergue Oceanus (highly recommended), I decided to send my backpack ahead to Lires, only 15 km away. I packed my day bag, had breakfast, ordered a serrano bocadillo with letuce and tomato to go and headed out. Made it up the hill, turned right at the San Roque restaurant, walked uphill ... and turned back.

It's a splendid day to walk, I am tired but not in pain (voltaren last night, Advil this morning), but I have had it talking to myself about how to make it, and why I should.

I am now waiting for the mochila service to hop on board with my bag to Lires where a room is waiting for me.

I had already been thinking that 2 weeks, and not 3, would be just fine, if not also more motivating. But the 3 annual weeks away on the Camino are key to my weight management (otherwise far from managed). Also thinking that I may have had enough of walking alone, yera after year. And then there's the fact that the Portugueses does not share the beauty of my last two walks. Although the views of Fisterra yesterday were beautiful and I'm sure the walk to Lures would be as well.

Is it time to find another way to unplug, lose weight, challenge the body and the mind, while healin the heart while on vacation? Could my next Camino be a stationary one, working as a hospi somewhere? Or do I try 2 weeks? Let's say a combination of two of the Salvador, Invierno, Ingles, and epilogue? It has been a few years since I've spent time diving off a livaboard... And that ticks all the boxes, except for budget. :eek:

Clouds are slowly coming in into the bay. It will rain tomorrow. Perhaps I will walk tomorrow, or not.

Will walk number 7 be the lucky one that doesn't have me fighting my mind?
Why not do something completly different. Bike ride or walk somewhere else. Don't know where you are but the world is full of beautiful, moderate hikes. There are pilgrimages in other countries, coastal walks in the UK, Hadrians Wall, sections or all of the AT, PCT, Great Divide. Why limit yourself to Iberia?

I'm hearing "burn out" noises from the OP. Have you looked at doing a week (or two or three) with the Iona Community (https://iona.org.uk/) in Scotland? There is the possibility of a daily walk, the quarters are albergue-like, and there are long walks in the Highlands available as an adjunct. Not to mention a wonderful experience with others on a similar journey.

It does sound like it may be time to try something new and different. You can always go back to the Camino someday if you choose to and if it feels right. There is no need to force yourself to do something that is not required if you are not enjoying yourself. I'm sure you can find a challenge for yourself that you do look forward to and does excite you.

All the best.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am not used Mafate but Biondi 3 and they have been great. Yes, the sole at the ball of the foot is worn, but no hole, just smooth, the rest is just fine. I would not question wearing these for 500km (300 or so done). Biggest
roblem is not the sole but the fact that the instant you walk in dew covered grass your socks get wet because of the mesh material the top of the shoe is made of. But at least they will dry more quickly that if the top was non mesh.

Understood your message , sort of:
I was scheduled to start Camino number six earlier this week but then my doctor said two weeks ago I needed some tests because he was concerned about my hiking in Spain far away from health resources.
Pain has been part and parcel to my walks since 2013, but I have found walking for long hours is the best therapy for the neuropathy in my right foot. Now the nerve pain has moved to my abdomen.
I am hoping to be back in September 2016 and I am considering doing the Camino from Pamplona or Burgos on a bike.
I totally sympathize with your wishes. Is there a good place for us to hang out and serve pilgrims?
Mine was San Anton but that is only a temporary assignment.
Fingers crossed for your healing so you can walk again this fall. If not we may need to assign an albergue somewhere for "fallen pilgrims as hospies only" ;).

Because Iberia is home and the "wall hitting" is more to do with long distance walking than Iberia. o_O

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And there there was Muxia... Teared up as I came in again.

Staying at Bella Muxia, last time was in private appt owned by the A de Lolo family.

Asked owner where to eat Percebes; Percebes MUST be eaten in Muxia in my book. He suggests a place, then says he has a better idea... writes a note for me to take to the said place: "group of 18 coming at 9pm. My friend Anemone is hoping for percebes". Walked around town (Corpus Cristi celebs going on) and then heade to said place: O Prestige.

If you ask me, calling a place that is asking for trouble, but what a delightful place, with a bit of a view on the coast if you sot outside.

Ordered percebes and house white. As the order was served I was told the percebes were on the house. When it was time to pay I was asked for 2€ for the wine; lets say I left a tad more.

As it is Corpus Cristi, bits of some streets,are covered with flowers and leaves (Fromista designs they are not) and there are processions as well. Also gun shots, but that might be because it is also the Day of the Fallen. Also, the scent from the hierba dulce on the streets is like magic.

A band is playing in town. Actually it played for an hour and will be back this evening ... at 11pm!!! Loved watching a 70 plus pilgrim dancing on his onw and as I was about to join him a local lady did and I got to take the best pilgrim pics ever.

I need a Muxia every 5 Camino days, but then It may no longer be the Camino.

My heart is filled again.

Not that my legs care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am so happy for you Anemone. What a great story, I do so love the Spanish hospitality and Muxia is special.

Love to see a photo of that dance

Love to see a photo of that dance
I also have one of the lady who was having her highlights done at the local salon while the music was playing: she stepped outside the salon with her foil bits in her hair to enjoy the music!

Oh, and the one of the man in a lower bunk with his Ipad hanging from the bunk above so he doesn't even have to hold it to watch movies in bed! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And there there was Muxia... Teared up as I came in again. ... A band is playing in town. Actually it played for an hour and will be back this evening ... at 11pm!!! Loved watching a 70 plus pilgrim dancing on his onw and as I was about to join him a local lady did and I got to take the best pilgrim pics ever. I need a Muxia every 5 Camino days, but then It may no longer be the Camino. My heart is filled again.

Anemone, I'm happy for you that you found reconnection in Muxia. I felt the fullness and joy in your heart come through, reading your words. :)

Fingers crossed for your healing so you can walk again this fall. If not we may need to assign an albergue somewhere for "fallen pilgrims as hospies only" ;).

Don, I was disappointed for you about the change in your Camino plans, reading about what happened in another of your posts as well. I hope you're back later this year too! I often think about the night my friend Mia and I spent at San Anton with you and Ollie last year. I actually just realised it's you a few days ago, when I saw your post in the other thread and took in your profile picture! I'm not sure if you know it's me, the pilgrim who was after a Camino metro map t-shirt like yours, haha! So I'm attaching one of my favourite photos from that night. DSC03191 - Copy (600 x 307).jpg

And also, Fisterra can be a great place for a longer-term stint as hospitalero, and it's a beautiful landscape in which to stay physically active. When I'm there I usually walk about 6-8km every day, visiting the beaches and trekking other places around town too. I don't know whether that would appeal to either you or Anemone (and Ollie might have a different take on it than me), but it's at least a possibility.

Continued Buen Camino!

Rachel

Anemone, I'm happy for you that you found reconnection in Muxia. I felt the fullness and joy in your heart come through, reading your words. :)

Don, I was disappointed for you about the change in your Camino plans, reading about what happened in another of your posts as well. I hope you're back later this year too! I often think about the night my friend Mia and I spent at San Anton with you and Ollie last year. I actually just realised it's you a few days ago, when I saw your post in the other thread and took in your profile picture! I'm not sure if you know it's me, the pilgrim who was after a Camino metro map t-shirt like yours, haha! So I'm attaching one of my favourite photos from that night. View attachment 26720

And also, Fisterra can be a great place for a longer-term stint as hospitalero, and it's a beautiful landscape in which to stay physically active. When I'm there I usually walk about 6-8km every day, visiting the beaches and trekking other places around town too. I don't know whether that would appeal to either you or Anemone (and Ollie might have a different take on it than me), but it's at least a possibility.

Continued Buen Camino!

Rachel
Thanks Rachel.
Ollie is supposed to be filling in for me next month.

And there was Muxia at night, on the evening of a Championship football game o_O. On those evenings, look for pilgrim only accomodations or those with a small number of beds per room. Need I say more? And in the morning the drunks who kept us up,have the nerve to complain about the snoring! Really!? I was out of there 10 minutes after getting up!

There was also banging/explosions/ gun salute noise at midnight, after the dancing ended. Not sure if it was for Corpus Christi or the day of Loyalty?

And sure enough, at 6:30, am, the local bar was still open and the locals were saying goodbye to us as we made our way to the bus stop tomhead back to Santiago.

Never forget those places we visit and we see only as being part of the Camino are Spain! ;)

Heard about an albergue that has the foot pool I have always dreamed of on the camino. About 4 feet long, 4 degree water and bubble jets! I know where I am staying next time! Do you think if we keep asking where the foot bath is when we walk into a donativo that they will start appearing along the way? :p

6:45 flight, am that is, to Madrid and then home. So proud to have been able to push regular life anxieties out of my head and heart formthree weeks. Gracias Camino mio.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back