• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another one bites the dust

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
At noon today in the cathedral, there was mention of "uno del Reino Unido, desde Almería", marking my sixth compostela. Not quite sure why I still pick them up, as the others are all in a drawer at home. Perhaps it's just for that little mention, among the other 114 who arrived yesterday.

This has been a really muy buen camino. Five World Heritage Sites, two National Parks, well over 100 bars and restaurants, cafés con leche and cañas, 22 public or religious albergues, 10 public ones.

2 hours of heavy rain in 8 weeks, 3 hours of drizzle and 1 of snow. Not a drop of rain in 10 days in Galicia.

Many many friendly kind people, many entirely indifferent, and only a couple of nasty ones. Six rises up to over 1000m, and some fantastic views. A lot of excellent food (and some indifferent, but only the callos tapas in Cea had to be furtively removed into the hankie). Recently homemade membrillo for breakfast with Don Blas in Fuenterroble was another highlight. From Alhambra Cerveza through fino de Montilla, past the Riberas del Guadiana and del Duero and on to albariño and the glorious Rías Baixas. Went near or past several Extremadura food museums to add to the museos del jamón and queso further south, including Monterrubio's museo del aciete, Castuera's del turrón and museums of paprika and cherries near Plasencia, not to mention the wolf museum in Puebla de Sanabria (I shouldn't mock, we have a pencil museum near where I come from).

3 seasons in one camino - hot, high 30s late summer in Andalusia, glorious autumn through Extremadura to Galicia, and heavy winter snow from Requejo to Aciberos.

Sometimes on Sundays I arrive to find the church firmly locked or that I am (at 55) the youngest person in the congregation, and the only male other than the priest. This time there were several packed services: in Hinojosa del Duque there was a choir and orchestra of teenagers enthusiastically accompanying the mass, and at San Pedro de Rozados we had a procession and incense and church packed with people of all ages, as was Guadalupe and Granada.

What will next year bring, I wonder?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great accomplishment, Alan! So happy you enjoyed it. And I also enjoyed your posts as always. Hopefully you'll embark on next Camino adventure in 2017 and we'll have opportunity to walk with you.

Enjoy Santiago!

Congrats on finishing up your SIXTH Camino, Alan! I can imagine it's memorable and special each and every time. You have great weather these days, too - it's been beautiful out. Take care and enjoy your time in Santiago! I think you were in Pilgrim House today (at least, Nate told me an Alan was in and I thought it must have been you)? Nate enjoyed meeting you!

Faith

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Alan,
Hard to believe you've finished another Camino! I have enjoyed every single post -- each one made me sad that I am going to have to wait till 2018 to start from Almeria. But I WILL get there! You were certainly lucky with the weather, you must have done something to curry Santiago's favor. Hope you enjoy Santiago and the chance to unwind. Buen camino and abrazos from Laurie

(I shouldn't mock, we have a pencil museum near where I come from).
[/QUOTE]
Hah! Nor, Alan, should you mock that remarkable pencil museum. In my mineral collection I have a lovely lump of pure graphite picked up on the fell above there. (In pouring rain, of course.)
Seriously though, your posts have kept the dreams alive. Thank you and congratulations.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A wonderful journey Alan, thank you for bringing us armchair sharing - and inspiration.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Alan, thank you for sharing your journey so vividly, not only here but in other threads. My camino this year was inspired by something you'd written, and wow was it ever good, a 10 out of 10.

Alan,

I have only just had time to read all your posts from the beginning.

Thank you for sharing, I am inspired!

buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back