• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another option from Valencia: Camino Sagunto

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Are you tired of busy routes like the Lana and Levante?
Do you want a real pilgrim adventure on a genuinely historic route?
Are you stalwart, unfazed by challenges, and happy to be a bit of a trailblazer?
Try this!
The Camino Sagunto from the Mediterranean at Sagunt (just a short hop up the coast from Valencia), merging with the Castellano-Aragones at (drumroll) Soria. Why go the roundabout way on the Levante when you can head directly north by northwest?

This historic route was first recovered about a decade ago by Luis Miguel Bona, and now has an active group of amigos promoting it. They acknowledge it's not for the faint of heart. But for those seeking a genuinely quiet camino when now even remote caminos like the Olvidado are becoming more popular, it may suit perfectly:

I've been following @alansykes on his annual autumnal peregrination, and since he was just in Soria, I was looking at details of the approach into town on my OSMand app. I have the magnificent overlay of all the caminos in Spain from @Thomas1962, and noticed a route coming into Soria from...where? It was a strange moment. What camino is that?! I had no idea. @ivar, is it possible to make this a saparate sub-forum?

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As the author explains, the book is a complete guide that includes the route of a route on the Camino de Santiago, between our city and Burgos
The author Luis Miguel Bona has explained that he recovered this route "after traveling many roads" and, specifically, from a book that collected those that run through Aragon. Among them, he cited this itinerary that would coincide with medieval tracks, royal roads and the current National 234, the main axis, Bona pointed out. Within the route, some routes stand out, such as the popular “Vía Verde de Ojos Negros”.
That article was written in 2012, almost 10 years ago. I wonder if this guide is even still available?
And why is there no buzz at all about this route?

Is it too lonely, too ugly, too close to the highway, too unsupported...??

When that book was published, @sillydoll posted a thread, and this is its entirety:
A new book details the historic route from Sagunto (on the east coast of Spain) to Burgos

The writer Luis Miguel Bona presented his work "Road to Santiago, Puerto de Sagunto to Burgos" to Delegates of Culture and Tourism. According to the author, the book is a comprehensive guide that takes the path of a route of the Camino de Santiago, between our Sagunto and Burgos. Specifically, the initiative seeks to recover the ancient route that the pilgrims made after the Reconquista, starting right here in this county.
The work describes a long journey of 538 kilometers and to ensure traceability, provides specific details of the entrances to villages, so that pilgrims can know their culture and traditions.
In this regard, the delegate of Tourism, Ximo Catalan, stated that "the way of Santiago in medieval times was a factor of wealth for all people wherever they went, and that encouraged trade among the pilgrims. And yet, wherever he goes still leaves a trail of wealth. That is why studies are so important to Luis Miguel Bona, who has decided to write this book detailing the route from our Sagunto and that is another reason to know the town. As a pilgrim, I am very proud to be born a path from here. "
Luis Miguel Bona explained that this route recovered "after traveling many ways". Among them, he quoted this itinerary to coincide with medieval tracks, highways and national current 234, the main shaft, Bona noted. Within the route, highlight some popular tracks like "Via Verde de Ojos Negros."
It is important in this work the great work exhaustive research and documentation that Bona has held for 18 months, a time that has helped him find historical, geographical, plans, maps ... He declares himself a lover of the Camino de Santiago and the Xacobeo, hence much of the information in the book take her by collecting since 1993.
One reply only, from 2019:
Did anyone from here ever report on this "new" Camino?

I guess not, @HeidiL
What's up? Is this a total horror of a route, or are we just not noticing it?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I Searched here several different ways and found little else. Just this. This camino is definitely off a lot of radar screens.
From Valencia there is an other option not reported by Kinky: going North to Sagunto (40-45 km) by both the Via Xurra, Camino del Cid, and Via Augusta (who share the way), and then turn left to Teruel by the Camino de Sagunto which shares parts of the Via Verde de Ojos Negros, Camino del Cid and Ruta del Santo Caliz (uncorrectly called Santo Grial)

There's a recent article about the amigos:
Así pues, para ello disponen de la página web www.caminosantiagosagunto.com dónde cualquiera puede descargarse los tracks de éste y otros caminos, ver las etapas tanto a pie como en bicicleta, recomendaciones de qué llevar al camino, cómo transportar las bicicletas o mochilas o cómo preparar el camino antes de realizarlo, entre otra información.
If you follow that link, you'll find tracks, stages, and a very nicely done blog by a group of amigos who went by bile to Santiago in 12 days (I figure that means at least 48 on foot!). Here's day 1:

They sound like the very best kind of bicigrinos: considerate, and happy to connect with foot pilgrims. I would love to have met them!

There are other Wikiloc tracks, like this one:
https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trai...de-sagunt-a-tozalmuro-soria-y-burgos-81700912 (Camino de Santiago de Sagunt a Tozalmuro (Soria) y Burgos) at #wikilocs

It's seems a quietly happening thing, we just don't know about it. Hmmm. We need an advance crew to scope it out. Is there "someone" (of the long-quiet-road-lovers among us, like maybe
@alansykes, @Bad Pilgrim, @caminka, @jpflavin1, @jungleboy, @KinkyOne, @LTfit, @oursonpolaire, @peregrina2000, to think of a few 😁 ;) ) who'll be tempted by this beauty and report back to the rest of us? (Mostly joking, but I have to say I'd be curious to read first hand reports from walking pilgrins.)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This route from Sagunto is included on the "all caminos in spain" GPS file from the Dutch site.
Yes, that's how I discovered that it's there in the first place - I mentioned that in the first post.
I've been following @alansykes on his annual autumnal peregrination, and since he was just in Soria, I was looking at details of the approach into town on my OSMand app. I have the magnificent overlay of all the caminos in Spain from @Thomas1962, and noticed a route coming into Soria from...where? It was a strange moment. What camino is that?! I had no idea

I have the magnificent overlay of all the caminos in Spain from @Thomas1962, and noticed a route coming into Soria from...where? It was a strange moment. What camino is that?! I had no idea.
I have just compared the 2020 and 2021 versions of the Dutch files. The route from Sagunto seems to be new on the 2021 version! I hadn't noticed it either.

Good to know those downloads are not static files, but kept up to date, with new routes added.

I just found the best possible ambassador for this route! ;)
I have an idea in my head of going southbound from Burgos, arriving in Valencia, and then heading north on Levante towards Santiago.
Here you go Sara!
Burgos to Santo Domingo de Silos - either backwards the Lana or via the San Olav.
Santo Domingo de Silos to Soria - backwards on the Castellano-Aragones
Soria to Sagunto - backwards on the Camino Sagunto
Sagunto to Valencia - on the Via Augusta
Valencia to Zamora on the Levante
Zamora to Santiago however you go 😊
This would be a long and fabulous walk!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good to know those downloads are not static files, but kept up to date, with new routes added.

I just found the best possible ambassador for this route! ;)

Here you go Sara!
Burgos to Santo Domingo de Silos - either backwards the Lana or via the San Olav.
This would be a long and fabulous walk!

OH WOW!!!!!!!
I could add in finishing my Vezelay Camino from St. Astier to SJPDP... then onto Burgos....... hmmm the spring/summer 2021?!?! :p

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I could add in finishing my Vezelay Camino from St. Astier to SJPDP... then onto Burgos.
The only thing to consider is not starting too late, so you don't end up cooking on the Levante.

Most read last week in this forum

As more people discover the Camino, the usual routes will become more crowded. Wanting a more spiritual/meditative pilgrimage, I have charted a more "rustic"/rural (anti-social?) route, but would...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.