• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ANOTHER Pack List. Sorry and Thanks.

Josie86

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
It's getting close to Camino time (3 weeks out!) and I am also heading into the busiest time of the school year for me so I will be slammed with work until I leave. I'm hoping my exhaustion will help me sleep through the plane ride! Here is my packing list. Please offer advice!

Thank you to anyone who is willing to help! :)

Here it goes:

Osprey Kyte 36L (Women's)

Camelbak 3L reservoir ( I will prob not fill it the whole way but I just bought it less than a year ago. Why buy another?)

40+ sleeping bag. It's down but it's lightweight and I like it. Don't want to splurge on a new one unless I am convinced I have to. I would rather buy a treated sheet and take that too.

A treated sheet for keeping the bed bugs away (see above)

Two carabiners just-in-case

ear plugs

1 Microfiber towel

iphone for communicating and pictures

Clothes
Dri-fit pants/joggers - they're a little bulky but I hike/run in them in the mornings here so I am used to them - figured I'd just take something I was comfortable in. Also, I could pull these over shorts in the a.m. if cold and whip 'em off as it warms up! I can also sleep in these if they're not dirty.

Dri-fit leggings

2 tech SS shirts

2 LS tech shirts

2 shorts - 1 dri-fit and light and one hiking

3 pairs of socks (merino wool)

3 pairs of underwear

2 sports bras

Rain jacket - super lightweight and packs up small. This is the only jacket I'm taking. My joggers are warm and I figure I can layer a SS under a LS if I get cold in the morning.

Shoes

Inov-8 trail runners (I currently hike in trail runners so I see no point in taking boots... ?)

Pair of comfy broken-in flip flops to use in shower and around town (they dry quickly)

Other Stuff

A ball cap

2 Glasses (seeing and sunglasses)

Headlamp/flashlight (I'm thinking maybe I'll just take the little flashlight? But the headlamp is very light too)

Poncho (will I really need this? I have a rain jacket and my pack has a cover.... I'm thinking worst case scenario I can throw a trash bag over myself but I'm not that picky. I have it though so I could just take it).

Home made first aid kit with: medical tape, band-aids, alcohol wipes, anti-bacterial ointment, anti-fungal cream, ibuprofen

Wipes in case of ...ahem....

Toiletries - figured I'd buy an all-in-one soap bar there. Any suggestions? Taking a small toothpaste and I'll buy as I run out along the way. 1 razor and necesseties for mother nature's monthly gift haha.

Makeup - I'm bringing a tinted moisturizer with high SPF, mascara and SPF lip balm. These are non-negotiables for me haha. I will probably not use the tinted moisturizer or the mascara but I like the idea of having them there in case I have the need to feel pretty haha.

Is there anything major that I am forgetting or really don't need? Thank you again!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good list.

Don't forget a European plug adapter so that you can charge your phone.

Forget the poncho.

Get John Brierleys's book of Maps - http://www.amazon.com/dp/1844096238/?tag=casaivar02-20 - much handier than his ponderous bigger guide and much lighter.

Add Compeed blister plaster to your First Aid kit. Get a few packs. (All the pharmacies along the way stock it but it's handy to have it before you go.)

I can't comment on the feminine stuff but I'm sure it's all necessary :)

Skimming this, I saw at least one 'just in case' and at least one duplication, as well as a collection of makeup! Rethink those items.

I know that I rattle on about carrying enough water, but the 3li camelback is really at the top end of the weight scale. I carry a 2 li bladder and if I think I need to, an extra 750ml or 1l bottle. If I empty the bladder, I can then either use the bottle, or decant it into the bladder. I then know that I need to refill soon.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It looks like you have 4 pair of "bottoms". Two shorts, leggins, and joggers. Two would be enough. I can't imagine needing 2 long sleeve tech shirts either as June is going to be hot. I'm thinking you will want to keep the number of garments to a minimum because 1) you will be carrying them 2) too much temptation not to do laundry and you wind up carrying around a bunch of dirty clothes 3). Too hard to keep up with too many items (Clean or dirty? On the line or in my pack?). Minimizing and simplifying will make your walk more enjoyable. Just my opinion.

Poncho (will I really need this? I have a rain jacket and my pack has a cover.... I'm thinking worst case scenario I can throw a trash bag over myself but I'm not that picky. I have it though so I could just take it).

A poncho is cooler and has less condensation issues in wet weather than a rain jacket. I would get a poncho that covers the pack and not take a pack cover. On the other hand, a rain jacket works better in windy wet weather. Its also good when there is a dry cold wind. I went in fall 2012 and had many days of light rain. The really heavy squalls happened in December and a raincoat under a poncho still felt wet. You're going in summer so you might get lucky and not need rain gear at all. But remember the old saw about how the rain in Spain falls mainly in Galicia. Try wearing a trash bag in the shower before relying on such.

In case of what? You will not be exposed to technical terrain anywhere along the camino.

40+ sleeping bag. It's down but it's lightweight and I like it. Don't want to splurge on a new one unless I am convinced I have to. I would rather buy a treated sheet and take that too.

You have the right bag. You might consider a sheet liner for your bag instead of a treated sheet. I'd bring a pillow case too for use over the pillow case of questionable heritage provided by the albergue.

Headlamp/flashlight (I'm thinking maybe I'll just take the little flashlight? But the headlamp is very light too)

A headlamp is useful when your hands are full. Such as when the lights on the timer in the bathroom go out. You can use it around the albergue at night held in hand and covered by your fingers so only a crack of light is seen.

Rain jacket - super lightweight and packs up small. This is the only jacket I'm taking. My joggers are warm and I figure I can layer a SS under a LS if I get cold in the morning.

The problem of cold will not likely be an issue while you are walking. It will be an issue in the evening, particularly on the mountain sections. You might consider a fleece hat and a scarf instead of a jacket ... Down jackets are expensive but would be light weight and warm over a wide range of temperatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My two cents worth. I found my microfibre towel became very smelly after two weeks. On my second camino I took a muslin two metre length of fabric. It is lightweight, dries quickly, doesn't smell at all and doubles as a privacy screen when tucked into the bunk mattress above you. It is found at any fabric shop - unfortunately in the baby section as it is used to wrap babies. I'm sure hubby wont mind like ducks on his towel! Lol!
I also only take one LS and one SS shirt, two shorts (one on one off).
Buen camino.

My two cents worth. I found my microfibre towel became very smelly after two weeks. On my second camino I took a muslin two metre length of fabric. It is lightweight, dries quickly, doesn't smell at all and doubles as a privacy screen when tucked into the bunk mattress above you. It is found at any fabric shop - unfortunately in the baby section as it is used to wrap babies. I'm sure hubby wont mind like ducks on his towel! Lol!
I also only take one LS and one SS shirt, two shorts (one on one off).
Buen camino.
I also took muslin as a towel. Your fabric with ducks from the baby department sounds more like a light flannel???

No, it was muslin. So light and very versatile. I actually got blue dots for hubby. He's fine with that. Lots of colours and patterns available at Spotlight in Australia.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No, it was muslin. So light and very versatile. I actually got blue dots for hubby. He's fine with that. Lots of colours and patterns available at Spotlight in Australia.
OK. Sorry for doubting you. I guess what we know as muslin in the quilting world in the U.S. is different. Sounds like they serve the same purpose when used as towels tho.

It looks like you have 4 pair of "bottoms". Two shorts, leggins, and joggers. Two would be enough. I can't imagine needing 2 long sleeve tech shirts either as June is going to be hot. I'm thinking you will want to keep the number of garments to a minimum because 1) you will be carrying them 2) too much temptation not to do laundry and you wind up carrying around a bunch of dirty clothes 3). Too hard to keep up with too many items (Clean or dirty? On the line or in my pack?). Minimizing and simplifying will make your walk more enjoyable. Just my opinion.

Yeah I decided to just ditch the second LS and keep the joggers and not the legging pants. They're heavier but I'm always cold at night here in SoCal so I'm guessing I'll be cold in Spain. Those can double as sleeping pants and I can wear shorts under when I leave early mornings and ditch them when it warms up!

Sensible list.

One conspicuous absence - trekking poles
One thing I'd leave home - the flashlight. (your phone should do in a pinch).

One debatable item - the poncho. I am biased against. You have a waterproof jacket. So why? I prefer an umbrella. Useful under scorching sun as well.

Question of personal preference - instead of tights, loose fitting pants and matching shirt.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sensible list.

One conspicuous absence - trekking poles
One thing I'd leave home - the flashlight. (your phone should do in a pinch).

One debatable item - the poncho. I am biased against. You have a waterproof jacket. So why? I prefer an umbrella. Useful under scorching sun as well.

Question of personal preference - instead of tights, loose fitting pants and matching shirt.

I have trekking poles but have never really been too fond of them. I was planning on leaving them at home. I hike here without them mostly. Yes they can be helpful at times going down hill but I really trust my shoes. That being said, I've never walked back-to-back for a month. Would you say that trekking poles make a significant difference? Difference enough to either send them ahead or check them? At this time, I do not plan on checking anything at the airport as I will only be bringing my back pack.

I made a cardboard suitcase for my poles, large sunscreen (too large for carry on) and peanut butter (I don't go anywhere without peanut butter) and checked it. At CDG I put those items in my pack and binned the cardboard. Going home I checked my pack rather than carry it on.

So, I've ditched the leggings, a LS Shirt, decided against the poncho, returned the microfiber towel, will buy some muslin cloth, ditched the sheet and will bring essential oils (double as skin care since I have sensitive skin and tend to burn) and am debating brining along a thin down jacket. How cold is cold at night in June? Haha.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
With a long sleeve shirt and a rain jacket that can both be layered over a short sleeve shirt, I can't imagine your needing a down jacket. But that's me and I live in Alaska so I should probably keep quiet. :mad:

Would you say that trekking poles make a significant difference? Difference enough to either send them ahead or check them? At this time, I do not plan on checking anything at the airport as I will only be bringing my back pack.

No strong opinion.

I've never used poles before but evidence suggests that they make a difference. In my case they double as tent poles (I start from Paris and will bivouac most of the way). So they are in for me.

I would tend to think that for younger hikers traveling light on semi-urban trails, they are of limited use.

Not clear if you will have to check your luggage. Telescoping or collapsible poles can make it to the cabin.

With a long sleeve shirt and a rain jacket that can both be layered over a short sleeve shirt, I can't imagine your needing a down jacket. But that's me and I live in Alaska so I should probably keep quiet. :mad:

Got it! Haha :) If I find I'm freezing I can always buy something there! Haha.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
With a long sleeve shirt and a rain jacket that can both be layered over a short sleeve shirt, I can't imagine your needing a down jacket.

The forecast is for a low of 3 degrees in Roncevalles this Thursday (3 Celsius, as in 37 Fahrenheit). Two tech Ts under an ultralight jacket isn't much if one is an early riser.

On the other hand, once over the Pyrenees, really cold weather becomes very unlikely.

The forecast is for a low of 3 degrees in Roncevalles this Thursday (3 Celsius, as in 37 Fahrenheit). Two tech Ts under an ultralight jacket isn't much if one is an early riser.

On the other hand, once over the Pyrenees, really cold weather becomes very unlikely.
But she's not going for another 3 weeks.

This is a quote from a blog entry dated June 30th 2011, describing the SJPP Roncesvalles stage. (I have nothing to do with this travelogue. But commonsense suggests that at least one reasonable insulation layer may come in handy while hiking a pass at 1400 m)

What a tough grinding day our first day on the Camino was. The weather started out ok but rapidly turned to drizzle and then rain. Soon the wind began to pick up and we were freezing cold. Temperatures were just below 10C but with the wind chill factor actual temperatures must have been closer to zero.​

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is a quote from a blog entry dated June 30th 2011, describing the SJPP Roncesvalles stage. (I have nothing to do with this travelogue. But commonsense suggests that at least one reasonable insulation layer may come in handy while hiking a pass at 1400 m)

What a tough grinding day our first day on the Camino was. The weather started out ok but rapidly turned to drizzle and then rain. Soon the wind began to pick up and we were freezing cold. Temperatures were just below 10C but with the wind chill factor actual temperatures must have been closer to zero.​
When you load those donkeys you intend to rent, you can no doubt include items that you might need one night, but as I am my own pack mule, I tend not to plan around "what if".

Not much to add, and congratulations on ditching the extra stuff! Once you have to lug it around day after day you won't regret that. And you'll be surprised how little you really need. One set of walking clothes, one spare, and something to sleep in. Basic toiletries (you may end up not using a lot of what you bring int hat department after a few days). I walked in March and once I got to Pamplona I mailed at least a kilo and a half of unnecessary warm clothes ahead to Santiago that I didn't need...plus sundry other stuff that had proved not so necessary.
There are threads and endless discussions elsewhere about the pros and cons of poles, and ponchos versus rain jacket. We all have our opinions.
Forgive me if I missed it...you're taking sunscreen, right?
And stuff to take care of your feet is super important. Moleskin, paper tape (I used it proactively to prevent blisters where I usually get them), omnifix...these I used every single day. There's a lot here in the forum about blisters and compeed/no compeed. Having tried it, I fall strongly in the 'no compeed' camp, but there are others who swear by it. Try and see for yourself...

Long sleeve t with a light fleece and your rain jacket will be plenty in 95% of the mornings. You can always run into unexpected temps (spring of 2013) but even then that was fine when walking though at night I missed a sleeping bag. Yes wore day clothes to bed at night it was so cold, but that eas mid-May. In other ealks at this time of the year less was the way to go.

As for the towel, why not just wash it every once in a while? I do a thourough batch of laundry every 3 or 4 days when I can find a washing machine.

Poles: a must going downhill for me when going through forests and other irregular terrain. Otherwise you will find me sitting at the top of the hill crying but I have seen goat-like humans run down these hills with such agility. Just not little clumsy me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not much to add, and congratulations on ditching the extra stuff! Once you have to lug it around day after day you won't regret that. And you'll be surprised how little you really need. One set of walking clothes, one spare, and something to sleep in. Basic toiletries (you may end up not using a lot of what you bring int hat department after a few days). I walked in March and once I got to Pamplona I mailed at least a kilo and a half of unnecessary warm clothes ahead to Santiago that I didn't need...plus sundry other stuff that had proved not so necessary.
There are threads and endless discussions elsewhere about the pros and cons of poles, and ponchos versus rain jacket. We all have our opinions.
Forgive me if I missed it...you're taking sunscreen, right?
And stuff to take care of your feet is super important. Moleskin, paper tape (I used it proactively to prevent blisters where I usually get them), omnifix...these I used every single day. There's a lot here in the forum about blisters and compeed/no compeed. Having tried it, I fall strongly in the 'no compeed' camp, but there are others who swear by it. Try and see for yourself...

I planned on buying sunscreen in France since I can only fly with products less than 3oz. I'm assuming it's sold anywhere right?

I don't really blister and my shoes are very broken in (I try to do around a 15 mile hike every weekend). Granted, I don't walk consecutively. I was planning on taking band aids and antiseptic cream for blisters just in case. I'm also taking an emergency sewing kit (I forget if that's in my list). I figure the needle might come in handy if a blister does arise. I guess I should look into moleskin though! Better to have it if I feel a hotspot coming on.

I've decided no poncho, my pack has a cover that's attached and a jacket will do for me. I've hiked mountains out here in 10C weather without a big jacket so I think I'll be fine! I can layer worst case scenario! I'm still leaning towards no poles. I have however picked up a buff!

Thanks for your help! :)

I planned on buying sunscreen in France since I can only fly with products less than 3oz. I'm assuming it's sold anywhere right?
Yes. (I got a little tube--for babies--at my local natural food store that was plenty for the whole walk, and I could carry it on...)

My advice is don't bring anymore than you need and you need less than you think and after crossing the mountains you will realize this. Buen Camino

Looks like a pretty good list to me.
I would just bring the rain jacket and pack cover. Ditch the poncho. Also bring with you a couple of heavy duty trash bags (you don't need expensive high-tech waterproof bags). I suppose anywhere from 20-30 gallon size. Use these as a waterproof bag for your stuff in the event it rains, and if you had to you could also wear one as a poncho (done that down here on a couple of drunken, rainy Mardi Gras ha ha). If you have some Scotch Guard waterproof spray at the house, give your waterproof pack cover a spray-down with it. I did before I left for my second Camino last summer and my pack cover worked like a champ. My first Camino had zero rain. Also bring some zip-lock bags to keep your maps/guidebook, passport, credentials, iPhone, etc in.
You don't have to have trekking poles. I walked two Caminos without them. If by the time you get to Pamplona you decide you want a pair, there are a couple of shops you can buy them at. Also with trekking poles you may not be able to carry-on your pack into the airplane. If possible you definitely want to carry on your pack.
Good choice on the trail runners. You don't need boots on the Camino Frances and I never saw anyone that wore running shoes or trail runners suffer from blisters.
Ditch the carabiners. You won't need them.
I would say only bring one LS shirt, and instead of the other bring a lightweight fleece jacket/pullover. It does get kinda chilly at night and in the morning sometimes and it works great to layer under the rain jacket. I didn't find Spain to be either very hot or cold on either Camino, but everyone is different.
I never carried a hydration bladder and found that carrying 2-3, half liter bottles of water in the packs side pockets to work great. Refilled them at fountains and cafes. Again, personal preference, but I just figure the bladder takes up room and it is additional weight and the bottles are easier to refill. I carried the same ones the entire Camino and threw them in a bin in Santiago.
Don't overload on toiletries and such. You can buy stuff like that all along the Camino. Also about a dozen plastic clothes pins or big safety pins come in handy for hanging you wash up to dry at the albergue.
cheers

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Looks like a pretty good list to me.
I would just bring the rain jacket and pack cover. Ditch the poncho. Also bring with you a couple of heavy duty trash bags (you don't need expensive high-tech waterproof bags). I suppose anywhere from 20-30 gallon size. Use these as a waterproof bag for your stuff in the event it rains, and if you had to you could also wear one as a poncho (done that down here on a couple of drunken, rainy Mardi Gras ha ha). If you have some Scotch Guard waterproof spray at the house, give your waterproof pack cover a spray-down with it. I did before I left for my second Camino last summer and my pack cover worked like a champ. My first Camino had zero rain. Also bring some zip-lock bags to keep your maps/guidebook, passport, credentials, iPhone, etc in.
You don't have to have trekking poles. I walked two Caminos without them. If by the time you get to Pamplona you decide you want a pair, there are a couple of shops you can buy them at. Also with trekking poles you may not be able to carry-on your pack into the airplane. If possible you definitely want to carry on your pack.
Good choice on the trail runners. You don't need boots on the Camino Frances and I never saw anyone that wore running shoes or trail runners suffer from blisters.
Ditch the carabiners. You won't need them.
I would say only bring one LS shirt, and instead of the other bring a lightweight fleece jacket/pullover. It does get kinda chilly at night and in the morning sometimes and it works great to layer under the rain jacket. I didn't find Spain to be either very hot or cold on either Camino, but everyone is different.
I never carried a hydration bladder and found that carrying 2-3, half liter bottles of water in the packs side pockets to work great. Refilled them at fountains and cafes. Again, personal preference, but I just figure the bladder takes up room and it is additional weight and the bottles are easier to refill. I carried the same ones the entire Camino and threw them in a bin in Santiago.
Don't overload on toiletries and such. You can buy stuff like that all along the Camino. Also about a dozen plastic clothes pins or big safety pins come in handy for hanging you wash up to dry at the albergue.
cheers
Mark knows the Camino so listen to his advice.
For me a backpack cover and a poncho is sufficient and little bit lighter. If it looks like rain in the morning I attach the cover to my pack, if it starts to rain I throw on the poncho. Otherwise IMO, you are continuing your walk in your own personal sauna in a raincoat.
I can not do the Camino without poles, I have a gimpy foot and the poles are invaluable for downhills and distributing the weight of backpack from my legs to my arms.
Like Mark, I carry a 1.5 litre bottle of water on those day when it might be required otherwise it is empty and I have 0.5 litre bottle of water in my pocket which I refill all along the way during the day

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Josie86

Like yourself, most of my walks are just day walks and I never really used poles. Occasionally just a single one for descents.
But, when walking day after day and with a heavier pack than I was used to, my back began to ache. I bought a cheap
second pole to supplement the single pole I'd taken and never looked back. However.... given my experience when I had
to check my bag, I'd suggest buying a cheap pair once you arrive. Once you arrive in Santiago you can leave them behind.

I took moleskin and didn't really use it as I found it fiddly to apply. Compeed is applied in seconds, but do put some tape
over the patch or it will tend to become firmly attached to your sock as you change at the end of the day.

Buen Camino

There is just no substitute for gear testing. A couple of rainy days so you could try out poncho vs jacket and cover would be perfect. If that opportunity fails to present, there's always the shower.

I completely forgot about those! Thanks! I'll be sure to throw some into my bag!
Don't forget to bring some sort of small pouch/bag or whatever to keep your money, passport, credit cards, iPhone etc in to take with you when you shower and keep on you or in the sleeping bag with you when you sleep at night.
99.9999% of the people you meet on the Camino won't rip you off, but there are a few that will. I'm sure you have already read posts about that on here.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There is just no substitute for gear testing.
I loved my caribiners and had to buy a couple in Pamplona. Among other uses, I used them to attach my document/camera pouch to my pack straps at the front to eliminate bouncing and dragging on my neck. That is the type of need that you can only recognize by trial and error.

I loved my caribiners and had to buy a couple in Pamplona. Among other uses, I used them to attach my document/camera pouch to my pack straps at the front to eliminate bouncing and dragging on my neck. That is the type of need that you can only recognize by trial and error.
I use tie wraps to secure a small nylon bag that has a loop at one end of the zipper to the bed. Helps me know where my valuables are during the night, and prevents the bag, which holds my eyeglasses to fall to the floor. We all have our little tricks.

So, I've ditched the leggings, a LS Shirt, decided against the poncho, returned the microfiber towel, will buy some muslin cloth, ditched the sheet and will bring essential oils (double as skin care since I have sensitive skin and tend to burn) and am debating brining along a thin down jacket. How cold is cold at night in June? Haha.

where can you buy the muslin cloth and what is it? I have the micro fiber cloth also but now rethinking it! i dont want it to be stinky loL!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't know where you live but in the U.S. You can walk into any fabric store (JoAnns, Hancocks, Beverlys, etc) and ask for muslin). I have about a yard and a half of white and my DIL used her embroidery machine to put my name on one end and hem it all the way around in red. The fabric came in 45" width and I split it down the middle so it is about 20 inches by 50 inches finished. @Waggs

I have trekking poles but have never really been too fond of them. I was planning on leaving them at home. I hike here without them mostly. Yes they can be helpful at times going down hill but I really trust my shoes. That being said, I've never walked back-to-back for a month. Would you say that trekking poles make a significant difference? Difference enough to either send them ahead or check them? At this time, I do not plan on checking anything at the airport as I will only be bringing my back pack.

I carried one pole. It was nice to have a brake on some of the steeper downhill sections. Otherwise it was useless weight in my hand until mid November when it became a heat radiator and became useless weight on my pack. If you hike without them in mountains at home then you likely won't need them on the hills in Spain.

I don't know where you live but in the U.S. You can walk into any fabric store (JoAnns, Hancocks, Beverlys, etc) and ask for muslin). I have about a yard and a half of white and my DIL used her embroidery machine to put my name on one end and hem it all the way around in red. The fabric came in 45" width and I split it down the middle so it is about 20 inches by 50 inches finished. @Waggs
Just google "baby swaddle blankets" and you'll fine a plethora, that is if you don't mind baby patterns. Aden + Anais USA have 47" x 47". They are expensive, but oh so soft and comfortable. Never thought of this, but it makes perfect sense! I'll probably borrow one from my granddaughter.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ok, this is just IMHO - Spain is still a conservative country. I would not be comfortable only having leggings to wear everywhere ie. town/churches and would consider bringing a very lightweight skirt or some other covering to wear about town or on your rest days. I usually took a rest day in the 'cities' and was pleased to be wearing something akin to 'real' clothes and meld in with the crowds, rather than the same clothes I'd been wearing for the last several weeks.

Ok, this is just IMHO - Spain is still a conservative country. I would not be comfortable only having leggings to wear everywhere ie. town/churches and would consider bringing a very lightweight skirt or some other covering to wear about town or on your rest days. I usually took a rest day in the 'cities' and was pleased to be wearing something akin to 'real' clothes and meld in with the crowds, rather than the same clothes I'd been wearing for the last several weeks.
In this case as a man who lives in a seaside resort in France, I have to agree with Alipilgrim. You see topless women at the beach but you do not see women walking around town in leggings like you see in the US. I think you would find yourself feeling very uncomfortable in public not following her advice.

In this case as a man who lives in a seaside resort in France, I have to agree with Alipilgrim. You see topless women at the beach but you do not see women walking around town in leggings like you see in the US. I think you would find yourself feeling very uncomfortable in public not following her advice.

Well I already ditched the legging pants (they were activewear leggings) but that means that I only have hiking shorts and joggers as bottoms. I have a light weight, longer, long sleeve dress. I'll throw that in so that I have something to wear to mass or around town. Thanks for the heads up, I wouldn't think twice about active leggings and a longer shirt here stateside haha.

Im not convinced that leggins with a long shirt would be that inappropriate. Some long shirts are as long as a short dress and fully cover the bottom, and I think that would be fine. I know I would not carry a long sleeve dress because I "might" wear it.

Another idea is a sari knotted at the waist creating a long skirt. This could be worn with or without the leggins. A sari is a multi-purpose item anyway: towel, privacy screen, draped over head and shoulders to protect from the sun, and probably a few more.

I'm not sure that "sari" is the right word for what I mean. Can someone help me out with a better word?

Edited to correct from sari to sarong, thanks to @amorfati1

Last edited:
Another idea is a sari knotted at the waist creating a long skirt. This could be worn with or without the leggins. A sari is a multi-purpose item anyway: towel, privacy screen, draped over head and shoulders to protect from the sun, and probably a few more.

I'm not sure that "sari" is the right word for what I mean. Can someone help me out with a better word?
you might mean a 'sarong' or a 'lunghi' ?
sari/saree is a fabulous garment involving about 5 - 7 yeards of fabric. (usually silk, or cotton, or even some synthetics)
(i used to own about 12 of those at one point in my life. loved wearing them. but highly unfavourable on the camino i'd say. but then again... in india, millions of women have pilgrim-ed over the ages in such those sarees....)
saluti -

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
you might mean a 'sarong' or a 'lunghi' ?
sari/saree is a fabulous garment involving about 5 - 7 yeards of fabric.
(used to own about 12 of those at one point in my life. loved wearing them. but highly unfavourable on the camino i'd say. but then again... in india, millions of women have pilgrim-ed over the ages in such those sarees....)
saluti -
Sarong was the word I was looking for. Yes I knew "sari" was yards and yards of fabric and I didn't want to promote that. Thank you @amorfati1

I'm not sure if I missed it on your list but I would bring a few 'safety pins' to hang your washing if it's windy or on your rucksack if it isn't all dry (they weigh nothing :) )
I've also bought this year for the 1st time a treated undersheet, can't say if it's any good yet.
Oh and buy a bar of soap that'll do for hair, laundry etc and if you can try it before you leave.

It's getting close to Camino time (3 weeks out!) and I am also heading into the busiest time of the school year for me so I will be slammed with work until I leave. I'm hoping my exhaustion will help me sleep through the plane ride! Here is my packing list. Please offer advice!

Thank you to anyone who is willing to help! :)

Here it goes:

Osprey Kyte 36L (Women's)

Camelbak 3L reservoir ( I will prob not fill it the whole way but I just bought it less than a year ago. Why buy another?)

ear plugs

1 Microfiber towel

iphone for communicating and pictures

Clothes
Dri-fit pants/joggers - they're a little bulky but I hike/run in them in the mornings here so I am used to them - figured I'd just take something I was comfortable in. Also, I could pull these over shorts in the a.m. if cold and whip 'em off as it warms up! I can also sleep in these if they're not dirty.

Dri-fit leggings

2 tech SS shirts

2 LS tech shirts

2 shorts - 1 dri-fit and light and one hiking

3 pairs of socks (merino wool)

3 pairs of underwear

2 sports bras

Shoes

Inov-8 trail runners (I currently hike in trail runners so I see no point in taking boots... ?)

Pair of comfy broken-in flip flops to use in shower and around town (they dry quickly)

Other Stuff

A ball cap

2 Glasses (seeing and sunglasses)

Home made first aid kit with: medical tape, band-aids, alcohol wipes, anti-bacterial ointment, anti-fungal cream, ibuprofen

Wipes in case of ...ahem....

Toiletries - figured I'd buy an all-in-one soap bar there. Any suggestions? Taking a small toothpaste and I'll buy as I run out along the way. 1 razor and necesseties for mother nature's monthly gift haha.

Makeup - I'm bringing a tinted moisturizer with high SPF, mascara and SPF lip balm. These are non-negotiables for me haha. I will probably not use the tinted moisturizer or the mascara but I like the idea of having them there in case I have the need to feel pretty haha.

Is there anything major that I am forgetting or really don't need? Thank you again!
I am finishing the CF tomorrow.
The one thing I would double up would be the sun screen. The sun will beat on your neck for most of the dat. Very expensive in Spain. For men, I would also double up on those carry on shaving creams for the same reason.
I wish I had brought two long sleeve pullover shirts and two short sleeve shirts.
Three pair of Merino wool socks. They take forever to dry.
Most of the banos in the bars, etc are very clean, but they almost never have paper towels to dry your hands after you've washed them. Bring something you can dry your hands and perhaps clean with your clothes.
You eliminated the poncho which I agree. Are you bringing a rain cover for your back pack? I think I saw someone mention an umbrella. No umbrellas. They are useless in the wind. Ponchos are useless in the wind and slow you down unless you are sailing before the wind.
Do not skimp on your first aid kit. If you have allergies, bring something for them. The olive trees do a number on me. Advil. ibuprofen, gels for sore muscles, etc.
Buy scissors and knife over here.
I wish I had brought more plastic zip lock bags, paper clips to mark my spot in the guide book and a few rubber bands.
Do not bring Brierley! A lot of fluff IMHO. Who gives a rats behind what Dolly Parsons says about the rain? It's in there. "Hiking the Camino de Santiago" by Dintman and Landis is much better. Find some good THIN maps and put the Brierley guide book where it belongs - in the trash!
If you think you will get cold in the Pyrenees, you could always layer up. I would not bring a garment just because you think you might get cold. If you are carrying a pack, you will not be cold for long - like in a few seconds.
I brought two Easton, adjustable trekking poles with a spare set of tips. Glad I brought both.
Bring a set of biking gloves. Padded. Kept my hands from getting sun burned in April and May. Many people commented as to they wished they had done the same.
Duct tape. Bring some. Wrap it around your trekking poles. Does not weigh much. 12 feet should be about right. My Merrells started to come apart. The duct tape proved to be valuable. I used all that I had and could not find more over here.
This may be a repeat of what others have posted, and I know there are frequent posters on here who will want to flame me for it, since they think they own the forum. I apologize in advance.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am finishing the CF tomorrow.
The one thing I would double up would be the sun screen. The sun will beat on your neck for most of the dat. Very expensive in Spain. For men, I would also double up on those carry on shaving creams for the same reason.
I wish I had brought two long sleeve pullover shirts and two short sleeve shirts.
Three pair of Merino wool socks. They take forever to dry.
Most of the banos in the bars, etc Re very clean, but they almost never have paper towels to dry your hands after you've washed them. Bring something you can dry your hands and perhaps clean with your clothes.
You eliminated the poncho which I agree. Are you bringing a rain cover for your back pack? I think I saw someone mention an umbrella. No umbrellas. They are useless in the wind. Ponchos are useless in the wind and slow you down unless you are sailing before the wind.
Do not skimp on your first aid kit. If you have allergies, bring something for them. The olive trees do a number on me. Advil. I ibuprofen, gels for fore muscles, etc. buy scissors and knife overe here.
I wish I had brought more plastic zip lock bags, paper clips to mark my spot in the guide book and a few rubber bands.
Do not bring Brierley! A lot of fluff IMHO. Who gives a rats behind what Dolly Parsons says about the rain? It's in there. Hiking the Camino de Santiago by Dintman and Landis is much better. Find some good THIN maps and put the Brierley guide book where it belongs - in the trash!
If you think you will get cold in the Pyrenees, you could always layer up. I would not bring a garment just because you think you might get cold. If you are carrying a pack, you will not be cold for long - like in a few seconds.
I brought two Easton, adjustable trekking poles with a spare set of tips. Glad I brought both.
Bring a set of biking gloves. Padded. Kept my hands from getting sun burned in April and May. Many people commented as to they wished they had done the same.
Duct tape. Bring some. Wrap it around your trekking poles. Does not weigh much. 12 feet should be about right. My Merrells started to come apart. The duct tape proved to be valuable. I used all that I had and could not find more over here.
This may be a repeat of what others have posted, and I know there are frequent posters on here who will want to flame me for it, since they think they own the forum. I apologize in advance.

When you fly do you a check a bag withI ur liquids then? I had wanted to buy sunblock, bug spray, etc. but didn't want to have to check a bag (or box). I will if I need to! I'm not to familiar with walking with poles. I have some but I rarely use them! Are they really that necessary on the downhill portions? I will definitely make sure to pack ointments and allergy meds thanks to your post! I do have allergies and have been going back and forth whether or not I should take them. Thanks so much for the advice! I really appreciate it!

I would allow some time in SJPdP to get over jet lag and to get your gear sorted out. You can buy sunblock, shave cream, medications, lunch materials, etc, in SJPdP or later in Pamplona.

If you don't know about poles consider starting without. By the time you get to Pamplona you will have gone down hills as steep as they get and you can decide then.

I know there are frequent posters on here who will want to flame me for it
I think this is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black. When you express your opinions as forthrightly as you did in the following rant, you can expect a response to your flame!!

Do not bring Brierley! A lot of fluff IMHO. Who gives a rats behind what Dolly Parsons says about the rain? It's in there. "Hiking the Camino de Santiago" by Dintman and Landis is much better. Find some good THIN maps and put the Brierley guide book where it belongs - in the trash!
I used Brierley's guide, and not Dintman and Landis. I remember looking at their guide when it came out and wondering what practical advantages it offered over Brierley. I concluded that there wheren't many, certainly not enough at that stage to contemplate buying another guide. It might be a reasonable choice if you don't already have a Brierley guide, and the 2013 edition might have improved things.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you don't know about poles consider starting without. By the time you get to Pamplona you will have gone down hills as steep as they get and you can decide then.
@whariwharangi, I agree with the rest of your post above, but this seems odd advice. If you are an up- and down-hill pole user, as many people seem to be, then it would seem to me that this is one stretch of the camino where poles are going to be most useful.

I am finishing the CF tomorrow. ... If you think you will get cold in the Pyrenees, you could always layer up. I would not bring a garment just because you think you might get cold. If you are carrying a pack, you will not be cold for long - like in a few seconds.

How can you layer up if you don't bring extra garments? "If you are carrying a pack, you will not be cold for long ..." not in the morning/during the day whilst walking - but you will be cold in the evenings.

... and I know there are frequent posters on here who will want to flame me for it, since they think they own the forum. I apologize in advance.

No need to apologize, nobody here owns this forum, ok, apart of @ivar

Buen Camino de la vida! SY

How can you layer up if you don't bring extra garments? "If you are carrying a pack, you will not be cold for long ..." not in the morning/during the day whilst walking - but you will be cold in the evenings.

SYates, I know you're one of the veterans here... how are the prices for things such as soap, sunblock, lotions? As long as it's not ridiculously overpriced, I'm thinking my best bet is to not check a bag and just buy the majority of my liquids in SJPP when I get there. Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@whariwharangi, I agree with the rest of your post above, but this seems odd advice. If you are an up- and down-hill pole user, as many people seem to be, then it would seem to me that this is one stretch of the camino where poles are going to be most useful.

So we come to the question of how to answer someone who is not now "an up- and down- hill pole user".

I didn't use poles for many years hiking on routes that are gnarly in comparison to anything 'camino'. I'm not ready to advise a young fit person to use what is essentially a cane, particularly as I merely carried mine most of the way. I know there are a lot of adherents to the pole thingy here and I understand it but my observation is that fit people don't really need them.

SYates, I know you're one of the veterans here... how are the prices for things such as soap, sunblock, lotions? As long as it's not ridiculously overpriced, I'm thinking my best bet is to not check a bag and just buy the majority of my liquids in SJPP when I get there. Thank you.
I think this is a perfectly reasonable option, even if some things are going to be a little more expensive in SJPP than you might find elsewhere.

Mind you there are always traps when taking this approach. Modern packaging, where items are packed in multiples, can defeat you. I recall trying to find a toothbrush at one stage just after Burgos, and only finding them in packs of three! The store staff were gracious enough to split the pack, and I only paid for the one that I needed. It is not something that I would have expected at home.

You can 'import' your initial supplies with the 'no more than 100ml per piece in a see-trough zip-lock bag' rule. Soap, shampoo, shower gels ect are cheap, like in 1-2 Euro a bottle, sun screen, depending on brand can set you back 5-10 Euro a bottle. Buen Camino! SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So we come to the question of how to answer someone who is not now "an up- and down- hill pole user".

I didn't use poles for many years hiking on routes that are gnarly in comparison to anything 'camino'. I'm not ready to advise a young fit person to use what is essentially a cane, particularly as I merely carried mine most of the way. I know there are a lot of adherents to the pole thingy here and I understand it but my observation is that fit people don't really need them.
I agree that poles are not essential. For many years I only used a single wooden staff on my walks, but I wouldn't do that now.

My question reflects an observation that many people only use their poles on the hilly bits, which is clearly their prerogative. If one was going to take poles with that in mind, having them crossing the Pyrenees would seem to me to be an advantage rather than thinking they would be a good thing to get in Pamplona, when one is almost out of the foothills.

I agree that poles are not essential. For many years I only used a single wooden staff on my walks, but I wouldn't do that now.

My question reflects an observation that many people only use their poles on the hilly bits, which is clearly their prerogative. If one was going to take poles with that in mind, having them crossing the Pyrenees would seem to me to be an advantage rather than thinking they would be a good thing to get in Pamplona, when one is almost out of the foothills.

I found the hill coming down from Cruz de Ferro, the downhill from Alto do Polo, the approach to Portomarin and the approach into Cee and other locations to be as steep if not as long as coming off Col de Lepoeder

I found the hill coming down from Cruz de Ferro, the downhill from Alto do Polo, the approach to Portomarin and the approach into Cee and other locations to be as steep if not as long as coming off Col de Lepoeder
We could start a thread on this. I would add the short descent from Alto de Perdon and the descent into Molinaseca to the memories of those you have listed. Although I did, quite accidentally:rolleyes:, take an alternative route after Biduedo, and arrived in Triacastella on whatever the GR route is that comes in from the east.

€149,-
IMODIUM without doubt, Imodium.

When I worked at Rabanal we had a spate of pilgrims coming through with the "squits" - we believed from eating at a snack bar. Take it with you as you'll not have time searching for a pharmacy!

With regards to your monthly cycle I understand the Mooncup is a brilliant idea but I'm a 60+ year old male so who knows?

Poncho . . . When we walked the Frances in September 2012 we decided not to take ponchos and had close on 4 weeks of unbroken sunshine. Got to Portomarin and it didn't stop raining until Santiago. My friend JoJo got a blister that covered the whole of her heel through having a wet sock.

This time we're both taking the Altus coat/poncho (which finds favour with ladies as you can pee without mooning half of Spain - especially useful on the Meseta) even though they push the weight of our pack all the way up to 9 pounds/4.5kg!

Put it this way:

Would you be happy to load up your pack, dress as you would on the Camino, turn on the shower - cold - and aim a fan at the shower then step in and stand there for an hour . . . or two . . . or more?

Otherwise just go out there and enjoy!

Buen Camino!

Be sure to bring a European adapter for your iPhone to charge it. A poncho to cover your self and pack or a pack rain cover if you bring a rain jacket.

Actually, my quote was aimed at you, a priori. This is the third time you have flamed me in a week.
I do get the feeling you think you are the moderator for this forum.
Back to my original comment, if it is cold in the morning or evening, put on that extra shirt. I was trying to advise the OP that I would rather be somewhat "chilly," than lug around an extra garment that I would seldom use.
I just completed the CF, and found very few occasions where I wanted to wear a vest and my rain jacket.
Presumably, it will become warmer as we move into the summer months. I might add that I am accustomed to warm weather. Someone from a colder climate may have a different threshold than I.
Thanks for calling me out, so I could make my earlier post more clear.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Actually, my quote was aimed at you, a priori. This is the third time you have flamed me in a week.
I do get the feeling you think you are the moderator for this forum.

Huch??? I am sorry that you have that impression, it was never my intention! Buen Camino! SY

Sometimes a different opinion can be read as a personal attack... even if it was not meant as one. These things are always difficult to interpret in written text.

@SYates has apologized, so let's just keep the conversations going. Remember that different opinions are great, but let's not get personal... We talk about all this in the forum rules:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/forum-rules.20973/

Buen Camino!
Ivar

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sometimes a different opinion can be read as a personal attack... even if it was not meant as one. These things are always difficult to interpret in written text.

@SYates has apologized, so let's just keep the conversations going. Remember that different opinions are great, but let's not get personal... We talk about all this in the forum rules:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/forum-rules.20973/

Buen Camino!
Ivar
I agree, Ivar. In a different thread, I just offered to enter into a truce with Ms. Yates, so that this does not go any further.

OK. Sorry for doubting you. I guess what we know as muslin in the quilting world in the U.S. is different. Sounds like they serve the same purpose when used as towels tho.
I lost my micro towel along the way and bought the white with a blue stripe dishtowel at a Spain market...worked great!!! Will use the same this time!

I agree that if I'm going to use them at all I expect to want them for the Pyrenees. Is anyone aware of poles available for sale in SJPDP?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back