• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another Packing List (Please forgive me!)

NeeT

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2016
My Camino (Frances) starts in a couple of months time so I am trying (rather excitedly) to get myself well prepared. I will be flying into Lourdes, where I will stay for a couple of days, and then get the train to St Jean. After I finish I am hoping to fly over to Italy where I will spend some time, so I may well send some bits to Santiago once I hit Spain.

If I could get a bit of advice about my packing list (and be as brutal as you like ;)), I'd be really grateful!

Gracias y Buen Camino :)

Packing List

Equipment/Miscellaneous

Backpack + Rain Cover (Eurohike Pathfinder 35L Daysack)
Stuff Sacks x 3
2L Hydration Reservoir
Small Water Bottle
Bum Bag (Fanny Pack for you Americans!)
Silk Sleeping Liner
Walking Shoes (The North Face Hedgehog Fastpack GTX Hiking Shoes)
Extra Shoelaces
Teva Sandals (Verra Walking Sandals)
Teva FlipFlops (Original Universal Sandals)
Turkish Towel (I don’t get on well with microfibre so this is the next best thing-quick drying, light weight and can be used as a light sheet/cover)
Head Torch
Ear Plugs
Whistle
Spork with Carabiner
Swiss Army Knife (Which I will pick up on The Way)
Glasses & Sunglasses in a cloth pouch
Guidebook
Phrase Book
Book for leisurely reading
Ziplock Bags
Adaptor
USB Charger
iPod, Charger & Earphones
Snack bars + a few herbal teabags
Diary & Pen
Small (A6) sketch book and pencils
Passport & Drivers License
EHIC Card
Travel Insurance Papers
Pilgrim Credentials
Emergency Contact Numbers Sheet
Cash (Only a little bit for the first few days-Hoping the exchange rate is in my favour at this point!)
Credit & Debit Card
Lighter (To pick up on The Way)
Mobile Phone & Charger
Side bag for evenings?
Material Shopping Bag

Clothes

Injinji Liner socks x 2
Walking Socks x3
Underwear (Runderwear!) x2 (Should I take 1 more?)
Bra x2 (Would you suggest sports bras specifically or can I get away with using my unbelievably comfortable M&S bras?)
T-Shirts x3 (2 Bamboo & Cotton, 1 Quick-dry training top)
Long Sleeve half Zip-Down top x1
Capri Trousers x1
Shorts x1
[Undecided about whether I should take my Skort?]
Lounge Bottoms (For evenings and sleeping in-extremely lightweight) x1
My Camino de Sanitago Buff :)
Packable Polkadot Poncho
Bikini
Sleep mask
[Unsure whether to take a light dress and cardigan for the evenings or rest days (Suppose I could always buy one there though ;) )]

Toiletries/First Aid

Toiletry Bag
Sunscreen (Lush bars)
Face Serum (Lush Bar)
Shampoo Bar (Again from Lush, which I will use for my hair, body and clothes)
[I am considering bringing a laundry bar for my clothes, thoughts?]
Deodorant
Toothbrush & Cover
Toothtabs (Lush)
Razor
Safety Pins
Sewing Kit
Wet wipes/tissues
1/2 toilet roll
Hand sanitizer
Foot Powder
Ibuprofen (Just a few to get me started)
Antiseptic Cream?
Plasters
Duct Tape
Deep Heat/Tiger Balm
Lipbalm
Hairbands & Grips
Tweezers
Mascara
Eyeliner
Cotton Buds
Earrings
Rosary/Om necklace

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'd question the need for travel insurance papers. You can store the key information / numbers on your phone and your insurer will probably email the entire document anyway. What is a side bag? Why have one of them as well as a bum bag and a material shopping bag? I think one- or two at most- might well suffice. Maybe one of the sandals/flip-flops could be sacrificed. If you don't anticipate driving along the Camino, your passport is all you require for ID purposes. Can you put your music on your mobile phone and leave your iPod at home?
I'm reluctant to comment on your clothes and toiletries' lists, but it seems a bit excessive to have three pairs of socks to go with the liner socks.
Before adding anything else, to what extent is the list compiled with your subsequent trip to Italy in mind?

Okay, I'll play, even though I don't yet have any expertise.

nix the iPod, reading book and phrase book - you can use your phone for all three
Do you really need a down top in the summer?
I would probably not take any cotton clothing, it doesn't wick and takes longer to dry
I would take your comfy bra. Can you imagine pulling a tight fitting sports bra over your head when you are sweaty or damp from the shower?
Not sure you need a lighter, but you can buy one on the way if you need it
If you want flip flops for the shower you can substitute some lightweight cheapies
Skip the hydration reservoir. Water weighs a lot, and I understand that water fountains to refill your bottle are plentiful. Plus, think of the hassle factor of filling up the reservoir.
Are your shoes waterproof? Might get too hot in the summer, leading to sweaty feet and blisters.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi NeeT! You asked about the bras... I would just advise to go for a long walk beforehand wearing the bra of your choosing, carrying a fully loaded backpack. Only then can you tell if is comfortable... Unfortunately, I speak from experience :rolleyes::D

Oh and the Lush shampoo bar can be used for washing clothes too, no need for a separate one.
I wouldn't bother with the make-up (but that's just me...) cos you'll need to bring make-up remover too...
Earrings...nothing you'd mind losing or forgetting somewhere. You can always buy some on the camino as a memory;)

Antiseptic cream: I always carry some, actually a spray you can buy in France or in Spain (never found it here).
Toiletry bag: depends on how heavy it is. A Ziplock bag or a mesh bag is good...Not stylish ...but good :D

Light dress : yes if weight of whole backpack is reasonable. Cardigan: something you can wear whilst walking too, I didn't see a 'fleece type-thing' mentioned but maybe I missed it. You may need it early morning and at night. And no need for a special bag for evenings, just something you can take with you to carry valuables (passport, bank card, phone...).

Last edited:
Thanks all..definitely given me food for thought already! :D

I'd question the need for travel insurance papers. You can store the key information / numbers on your phone and your insurer will probably email the entire document anyway. What is a side bag? Why have one of them as well as a bum bag and a material shopping bag? I think one- or two at most- might well suffice. Maybe one of the sandals/flip-flops could be sacrificed. If you don't anticipate driving along the Camino, your passport is all you require for ID purposes. Can you put your music on your mobile phone and leave your iPod at home?
I'm reluctant to comment on your clothes and toiletries' lists, but it seems a bit excessive to have three pairs of socks to go with the liner socks.
Before adding anything else, to what extent is the list compiled with your subsequent trip to Italy in mind?

Great thinking on the travel insurance...it's just a lazy habit that I have to take all my papers :oops:
Side bag, as in a small handbag (Something less bulky that my bum bag)...although you are right this can be sacrificed for the Camino, as could the flip flops. I suppose this is the type of item I had in mind for Italy...although if I leave it behind it gives me an excuse to shop once I get to Santiago!
My drivers license is more for Italy as may look to drive out there.
My phone is a bit low grade so wouldn't be able to much much on it music-wise, and my ipod would also double up as my camera for the trip.

Please feel free to comment on the clothing and toiletries list...the more advice I can get the better! And you are probably right about the socks...I think I need to let go of the 'What ifs' that I have in my mind ;)

nix the iPod, reading book and phrase book - you can use your phone for all three
I would probably not take any cotton clothing, it doesn't wick and takes longer to dry
I would take your comfy bra. Can you imagine pulling a tight fitting sports bra over your head when you are sweaty or damp from the shower?
If you want flip flops for the shower you can substitute some lightweight cheapies
Skip the hydration reservoir. Water weighs a lot, and I understand that water fountains to refill your bottle are plentiful. Plus, think of the hassle factor of filling up the reservoir.
Are your shoes waterproof? Might get too hot in the summer, leading to sweaty feet and blisters.

My iPod will double up as my camera as my phone is a bit crappy. Reading book-wise I'll only bring the one...but there's something I absolutely love about the feel of a real book. I'll be leaving on 22nd June, and knowing the European weather atm I can never be too sure, so I think the down top is one I wouldn't like to part with. It's very lightweight, and will probably come in handy for early mornings and possible to wear overnight at the beginning of my journey.
The tops I have are partially bamboo which wicks and is fast drying...I have been testing them over the past couple of weeks and they work really well. I'm glad you said that about the bra...it's what I was hoping to hear ;)
Agreed with regards to the lighter and flip flops. My pack came with the hydration reservoir and I think I will probably just end up filling it when I first set off in the day (Not 2L worth though!) and if I run low I can fill up my small water bottle instead!
My shoes are waterproof! I have been wearing them in with my double layer of socks, so don't really want to think about changing them. The liner socks should help to prevent blisters and if my feet do get too hot and bothered my plan is to switch to the walking sandals.

Hi NeeT! You asked about the bras... I would just advise to go for a long walk beforehand wearing the bra of your choosing, carrying a fully loaded backpack. Only then can you tell if is comfortable... Unfortunately, I speak from experience :rolleyes::D

Oh and the Lush shampoo bar can be used for washing clothes too, no need for a separate one.
I wouldn't bother with the make-up (but that's just me...) cos you'll need to bring make-up remover too...
Earrings...nothing you'd mind losing or forgetting somewhere. You can always buy some on the camino as a memory;)

Antiseptic cream: I always carry some, actually a spray you can buy in France or in Spain (never found it here).
Toiletry bag: depends on how heavy it is. A Ziplock bag or a mesh bag is good...Not stylish ...but good :D

Light dress : yes if weight of whole backpack is reasonable. Cardigan: something you can wear whilst walking too, I didn't see a 'fleece type-thing' mentioned but maybe I missed it. You may need it early morning and at night. And no need for a special bag for evenings, just something you can take with you to carry valuables (passport, bank card, phone...).

Hi domigee!
I am starting to do my longer distance training now so will definitely give that a whirl. I have a bit of an issue with sports bras tending to cut me at the neck so I'm hoping my normal ones will do me fine! Fingers crossed x
Glad to hear from someone with Lush bar experience. My make up is also from Lush, so not so hard to remove with their bars, however I think this will probably go ahead of me in my Italy pack.
You're right about earrings! I think it's a bit of a self-conscious thing...I'm planning on chopping my hair off to a short pixie crop before I go so I think it's a case of not wanting to look to boyish. On the other hand...I should embrace my natural self...if not on the Camino, where else?!
The toiletries bag is light weight and has a zippy handle which I thought might be useful for trips to the shower?
I do have a very lightly fleecey long sleeved top so could leave a cardigan off the list. And point taken about the evening bag :)

I would def bring 3 underpants. I brought 2 quick dry ones last year and 1 cotton one for the nights and loved it. This year I'm bringing 4 pairs :)
I loved my lightweight evening bag.....just handy .
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015CNYBAO/?tag=casaivar02-20
I would bring 2 quick dry t shirts and 1 bamboo/cotton for evenings.
Diary, book for reading, sketch book and pencils, phrase book....that seems all very heavy and not truly needed....maybe use your I pod to keep a diary ???? and I'm not sure what a material shopping bag is.....but somehow I think you won't need it.
Obviously you can bring all the above and just donate it if you don't use it or your pack turns out to be too heavy ! Have fun :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I didn't take a journal last year and still regret it. I intended to keep a diary on my iPad mini but screens and I don't get on so it didn't happen. Don't worry about spare boot/shoe laces, if one breaks (and I have NEVER had one break in thousands of kilometres of walking) just tie a knot in it until the next shop.

Not bad for someone who says she has "no expertise". You have leanred the game well.

My thoughts, for what they are worth, based on walking in July 2014. Items not mentioned are fine.

One preliminary thought--weigh everything in grams and write it all down (there are spreadsheets available on the internet, but pen and paper work). That will help your decision making process more than anything I say here.

Packing List

Equipment/Miscellaneous

Stuff Sacks x 3 (weigh them--they are often heavy, and ziplocs may be lighter)
2L Hydration Reservoir (unnecessary. The small water bottle will do. (I carried .75L; my wife .5L) A few days you'll have to buy a big bottle of water, but these bladders are heavy and unnecessary)
Extra Shoelaces (unnecessary. They have these in Spain)
Teva Sandals (Verra Walking Sandals)
Teva FlipFlops (Original Universal Sandals) (I like the one pair of sandals/one pair of walking shoes combo. But I think you can let go of whatever pair of sandals is least walkable. If you are taking them for the showers, I just went barefoot. If you get athletes foot (I didn't), underarm deodrant will wipe it out).
Whistle (unnecessary. Hundreds of pilgrims around almost all the time).
Spork with Carabiner (really unnecessary. There is plenty of cutlery in Spain)
Swiss Army Knife (Which I will pick up on The Way) (despite comment above, I agree with this. We had to buy one to cut cheese, etc.)
Guidebook (this and all books are best electronically. They are really heavy)
Phrase Book
Book for leisurely reading
Diary & Pen
Small (A6) sketch book and pencils (despite what I said above, this really does have to be in paper)
Emergency Contact Numbers Sheet (I store as .pdf in electronic reader)
Lighter (To pick up on The Way)(completely unnecessary unless you are a smoker)
Mobile Phone & Charger(load all of those books on to this thing. Maybe make it your diary too).
Side bag for evenings?(not this and the shopping bag. I'd just take the shopping bag. You already have the bum bag)
Material Shopping Bag

Clothes

Injinji Liner socks x 2
Walking Socks x3(based on my experience, too hot in the summer. Just use liner socks)
Underwear (Runderwear!) x2 (Should I take 1 more?) (two is fine)
T-Shirts x3 (2 Bamboo & Cotton, 1 Quick-dry training top) (one bamboo/cotton; one quick dry. During day on meseta wear bamboo/cotton; wear quick dry after shower while washing the hiking clothing (when you are not as overheated). In the mountains on either end, switch. Quick dry in day; cotton at night (very little chance of hypothermia in alburgue). I would do this for pants too (one cotton/one nylon). But I wonder about the short-sleeves, short pants. Long sleeves and long pants were much better in the summer sun. And I think the "big wide-brimmed hat" is missing from your list. We saw some unbelievable sunburns in July 2014.
Shorts x1(See comments above)
[Undecided about whether I should take my Skort?] (depends on length-see comments above)
Lounge Bottoms (For evenings and sleeping in-extremely lightweight) x1(I'd leave it. We just slept in clothes we could use for walking)
Bikini(get sports bras and underwear that can also be used as swimwear--no single use items. Everything has to do double duty).

[Unsure whether to take a light dress and cardigan for the evenings or rest days (Suppose I could always buy one there though ;) )](no. "might to nice" is always too heavy).

Toiletries/First Aid

Toiletry Bag(maybe ziploc. Those bags get heavy)
Sunscreen (Lush bars)
Face Serum (Lush Bar)
Shampoo Bar (Again from Lush, which I will use for my hair, body and clothes)
[I am considering bringing a laundry bar for my clothes, thoughts?](no. soap is soap).
Safety Pins(more than you think. These are for clothes drying, and you'll lose some).
Sewing Kit(very little. They have needles and threads in Spain if you need them).
Wet wipes/tissues(no, use bandana)
1/2 toilet roll(no, use bandana)
Antiseptic Cream?(probably, to keep blisters, etc. from getting infected. Very small size. Spain has more).
Plasters(only a couple--they have more in Spain. That goes for almost everything in this category)

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You're list is SOOOOO similar to what I ended up packing (with a Madrid trip before and Barcelona and Dublin after for a total of 6 "real tourist" days to pack for. I used EVERYTHING I packed and didn't miss a thing - so here's my input (caveat - I walked in cold, rainy weather so I'm trying to think of what summer would be like ;) ):

Equipment/Miscellaneous

Stuff Sacks x 3 (I used virtual zero weight mesh packing cubes for organization- they were useful)
2L Hydration Reservoir ( a single water bottle will be fine - there are lots of fountains to refill - I took this off my list last minute and was SO GLAD that I did)
Extra Shoelaces (I never needed and didn't pack -- probably don't need they have them there)
Teva Sandals (Verra Walking Sandals) (I only brought these no flip flops- when I needed shower shoes - I just used these - mine were a different Teva -same idea)
Teva FlipFlops (Original Universal Sandals) (see above)
Whistle (I think this is a fine safety item - I didn't bring - but I'll tell you on my Camino I barely ever saw anyone - again it wasn't during the heart of summer though).
Spork with Carabiner (I relied on sandwiches and cafes - no need for this)
Swiss Army Knife (Which I will pick up on The Way) (I never had a need - but I wasn't on a budget Camino - so if you are going to go to the store for a majority of meals - this would be good)
Guidebook (take electronic version if possible or download an app like CaminoWays or TrekRight)
Phrase Book (no need - again download an app if you think you need one - otherwise memorize a few phrases from here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...s-every-pilgrim-should-know-in-spanish.35794/ )
Book for leisurely readingn (I brought a Kindle - I was glad to have it)
Diary & Pen( Can you combine your sketch book and your diary into one?)
Emergency Contact Numbers Sheet (I stored in my phone)
Lighter (To pick up on The Way)(unnecessary unless you are a smoker)
Mobile Phone & Charger(Not sure where you are from - but do you need a converter as well?).
Side bag for evenings?(I'd bring EITHER a shopping bag, bum bag, or side bag - not all. I actually brought a purse and didn't use it on the Camino at all - but only because it was cold so I used coat pockets)
Material Shopping Bag

Clothes

Injinji Liner socks x 2
Walking Socks x3(no summer experience - I brought 4 pair and wished I had more - but because of mud and rain, I was changing socks all of the time)
Underwear (Runderwear!) x2 (Should I take 1 more?) (two is fine - but I'd bring 3 because they don't weigh much and I hate doing laundry)
T-Shirts x3 (2 Bamboo & Cotton, 1 Quick-dry training top) (Probably too much - I'd do just two - I went back and forth between two and then ended up with a favorite I wore almost everyday)
[Undecided about whether I should take my Skort?] (I brought mine and wore it over my leggings - but that was personal preference - I'd like to have it)
Lounge Bottoms (For evenings and sleeping in-extremely lightweight) x1(I slept in my walking clothes or the dress I brought)
Bikini (I could see why you'd want one in the summer)

[Unsure whether to take a light dress and cardigan for the evenings or rest days (Suppose I could always buy one there though ;) )](I'm going to be the odd one out here I'm sure - I brought 2 dresses and a cardigan.....I used them every single day and didn't buy anything new for my tourist days --- the DID take up a lot of room but I was glad to have them - one of them was a hiking dress that looked nice so if the weather had gotten nice it could have done double duty. Maybe do a hiking dress instead of the skort?).

Toiletries/First Aid

Toiletry Bag(I was glad for my toiletry bag - I have pointy toiletries and they poke holes in ziplocks when using daily)
Sunscreen (Lush bars) (necessary)
Face Serum (Lush Bar) (depends -I didn't use face serum - I used aquafer because it had a lot of other uses for me - um potential chub rub.....)
Shampoo Bar (Again from Lush, which I will use for my hair, body and clothes) (I used a lush shampoo bar for shampoo, face soap, body soap and laundry soap....I have longer hair and also brought a lush conditioner bar)
[I am considering bringing a laundry bar for my clothes, thoughts?](You'll be fine using the lush bar)
Safety Pins(YES! And don't skimp on the bigger ones!).
Sewing Kit(very little. They have needles and threads in Spain if you need them).
Wet wipes/tissues(Yes - and I used them and was glad for them - not the wet wipes as much so under pack what you think you need on these)
1/2 toilet roll(no, just stuff some extra each morning into your pocket)
Antiseptic Cream? (yes - and I used! I'd bring a smaller tube probably next time.)
Plasters(Yes - I bought more at the farmacia when I ran out)
Duct Tape (I had no need and didn't pack)
Deep Heat/Tiger Balm (I had no need and didn't pack)
Lipbalm (Yep)
Hairbands & Grips (yep)
Tweezers (didn't bring - I'm vain and wish I had)
Mascara (yes and I wore everyday - I'm blonde....)
Eyeliner (yes and I wore only infrequently)
Cotton Buds (Are these Q-Tips? IF so - YES!)
Earrings (wore the studs in my ears and never took out)
Rosary/Om necklace

Things I packed not on your list (most of these probably fall into a "duh of course I was packing that" column):
Deodorant
Hair Brush
Benedryl (I'm forever getting into a plant or something I'm allergic to)

Your list was surprisingly close to mine when I compared and I was VERY happy with my choices.

I'm obviously missing something here :eek: Or is a bandana not a large square of fabric often worn around the neck ?
Haha, I thought the same thing! I don't think I like the thought of having my pee near my face frankly! Although, I do now think only one of these items will be necessary.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You're list is SOOOOO similar to what I ended up packing (with a Madrid trip before and Barcelona and Dublin after for a total of 6 "real tourist" days to pack for. I used EVERYTHING I packed and didn't miss a thing - so here's my input (caveat - I walked in cold, rainy weather so I'm trying to think of what summer would be like ;) ):

Equipment/Miscellaneous

Stuff Sacks x 3 (I used virtual zero weight mesh packing cubes for organization- they were useful)
2L Hydration Reservoir ( a single water bottle will be fine - there are lots of fountains to refill - I took this off my list last minute and was SO GLAD that I did)
Extra Shoelaces (I never needed and didn't pack -- probably don't need they have them there)
Teva Sandals (Verra Walking Sandals) (I only brought these no flip flops- when I needed shower shoes - I just used these - mine were a different Teva -same idea)
Teva FlipFlops (Original Universal Sandals) (see above)
Whistle (I think this is a fine safety item - I didn't bring - but I'll tell you on my Camino I barely ever saw anyone - again it wasn't during the heart of summer though).
Spork with Carabiner (I relied on sandwiches and cafes - no need for this)
Swiss Army Knife (Which I will pick up on The Way) (I never had a need - but I wasn't on a budget Camino - so if you are going to go to the store for a majority of meals - this would be good)
Guidebook (take electronic version if possible or download an app like CaminoWays or TrekRight)
Phrase Book (no need - again download an app if you think you need one - otherwise memorize a few phrases from here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...s-every-pilgrim-should-know-in-spanish.35794/ )
Book for leisurely readingn (I brought a Kindle - I was glad to have it)
Diary & Pen( Can you combine your sketch book and your diary into one?)
Emergency Contact Numbers Sheet (I stored in my phone)
Lighter (To pick up on The Way)(unnecessary unless you are a smoker)
Mobile Phone & Charger(Not sure where you are from - but do you need a converter as well?).
Side bag for evenings?(I'd bring EITHER a shopping bag, bum bag, or side bag - not all. I actually brought a purse and didn't use it on the Camino at all - but only because it was cold so I used coat pockets)
Material Shopping Bag

Clothes

Injinji Liner socks x 2
Walking Socks x3(no summer experience - I brought 4 pair and wished I had more - but because of mud and rain, I was changing socks all of the time)
Underwear (Runderwear!) x2 (Should I take 1 more?) (two is fine - but I'd bring 3 because they don't weigh much and I hate doing laundry)
T-Shirts x3 (2 Bamboo & Cotton, 1 Quick-dry training top) (Probably too much - I'd do just two - I went back and forth between two and then ended up with a favorite I wore almost everyday)
[Undecided about whether I should take my Skort?] (I brought mine and wore it over my leggings - but that was personal preference - I'd like to have it)
Lounge Bottoms (For evenings and sleeping in-extremely lightweight) x1(I slept in my walking clothes or the dress I brought)
Bikini (I could see why you'd want one in the summer)

[Unsure whether to take a light dress and cardigan for the evenings or rest days (Suppose I could always buy one there though ;) )](I'm going to be the odd one out here I'm sure - I brought 2 dresses and a cardigan.....I used them every single day and didn't buy anything new for my tourist days --- the DID take up a lot of room but I was glad to have them - one of them was a hiking dress that looked nice so if the weather had gotten nice it could have done double duty. Maybe do a hiking dress instead of the skort?).

Toiletries/First Aid

Toiletry Bag(I was glad for my toiletry bag - I have pointy toiletries and they poke holes in ziplocks when using daily)
Sunscreen (Lush bars) (necessary)
Face Serum (Lush Bar) (depends -I didn't use face serum - I used aquafer because it had a lot of other uses for me - um potential chub rub.....)
Shampoo Bar (Again from Lush, which I will use for my hair, body and clothes) (I used a lush shampoo bar for shampoo, face soap, body soap and laundry soap....I have longer hair and also brought a lush conditioner bar)
[I am considering bringing a laundry bar for my clothes, thoughts?](You'll be fine using the lush bar)
Safety Pins(YES! And don't skimp on the bigger ones!).
Wet wipes/tissues(Yes - and I used them and was glad for them - not the wet wipes as much so under pack what you think you need on these)
1/2 toilet roll(no, just stuff some extra each morning into your pocket)
Antiseptic Cream? (yes - and I used! I'd bring a smaller tube probably next time.)
Plasters(Yes - I bought more at the farmacia when I ran out)
Duct Tape (I had no need and didn't pack)
Deep Heat/Tiger Balm (I had no need and didn't pack)
Lipbalm (Yep)
Hairbands & Grips (yep)
Tweezers (didn't bring - I'm vain and wish I had)
Mascara (yes and I wore everyday - I'm blonde....)
Eyeliner (yes and I wore only infrequently)
Cotton Buds (Are these Q-Tips? IF so - YES!)
Earrings (wore the studs in my ears and never took out)
Rosary/Om necklace

Things I packed not on your list (most of these probably fall into a "duh of course I was packing that" column):
Deodorant
Hair Brush
Benedryl (I'm forever getting into a plant or something I'm allergic to)

Your list was surprisingly close to mine when I compared and I was VERY happy with my choices.

So glad you have replied to this since we clearly think similarly with regards to packing!
The reason I put extra laces is because mine are extremely long and have already started fraying slightly in my practice walks, although it's key for me to remember that Spain isn't so dissimilar to the UK (Which is where I am from btw, London to be more precise ;)). Also, I'm a chef! So the swiss army knife will be handy as I am hoping to be able to cook some meals along the way for fellow pilgrims and make the most of chunks of meat and cheese :D
I take your point on the tops... I just have to decide which is my favourite now! I think I will probably leave the skort behind and take a light dress and/or the light lounge trousers, depending on weight. Buttons on the shorts and trousers would bother me while sleeping.
I hadn't thought about using the serum for chaffy areas...that's a fantastic idea :) I'ma bit of a deep heat addict and know my legs will thank me for it after a long day of walking :rolleyes: And finally...YES Cotton bud are Q tips! Thought it'd be kind of necessary considering I'd be wearing ear plugs and also on the occasions where I might use my make up!

*Oh, I shan't be bringing a hairbrush as I'll be cutting my hair very short so I think fingers will do! And thanks for mentioning the benedryl! I shall keep a small supply with me :)

Please DO bring some tissues or TP: taking what is available in restaurants and albergues increases the operation costs for them. Just imagine if all 242 000 pilgrims took "just a bit" every day... It adds up.

And DON'T steal the TP from the refugios . . . . I had a 12 pack with me as I went around checking the toilets at Rabanal, got called on for an emergency (pilgrim with heat exhaustion) and when I got back to the main bathroom EVERY roll had been stolen - not nice, people, not nice!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And DON'T steal the TP from the refugios . . . . I had a 12 pack with me as I went around checking the toilets at Rabanal, got called on for an emergency (pilgrim with heat exhaustion) and when I got back to the main bathroom EVERY roll had been stolen - not nice, people, not nice!

Oh! That's absolutely shameful!!!!!!

I'm obviously missing something here :eek: Or is a bandana not a large square of fabric often worn around the neck ?
Well, usually a "pee" bandana is put in a pocket of the pack (which you'd have to do anyway with TP, but the bandana is reusable) and washed with the other laundry. But, hey it's your Camino. Feel free to wear it around your neck, although I suspect you may be one of the few peregrinos who earns a trail name.;)

Well, usually a "pee" bandana is put in a pocket of the pack (which you'd have to do anyway with TP, but the bandana is reusable) and washed with the other laundry. But, hey it's your Camino. Feel free to wear it around your neck, although I suspect you may be one of the few peregrinos who earns a trail name.;)

I get the pee bandana. but you advised no wet wipes. No tp. What if it's a 'bit more serious' :eek:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I get the pee bandana. but you advised no wet wipes. No tp. What if it's a 'bit more serious' :eek:
It's unlikely to happen isn't it, on the CF, unless you are very suddenly taken ill with no warning :confused: It's hardly the wilderness...

It's unlikely to happen isn't it, on the CF, unless you are very suddenly taken ill with no warning :confused: It's hardly the wilderness...
It did happen once. In the middle of no where. :oops:

Due to a reaction to some food no doubt. Immodium stopped it reoccurring !

Judging by the evidence behind a few bushes along the way....it happens a lot :eek:

Last edited:
not sure if I'll be able to keep my mouth shut if I see this happening....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It did happen once. In the middle of to where. :oops:

Ok, it happened once, that is exactly what I meant by 'unlikely unless...etc'
Any walker carries a few tissues for an emergency, whatever it may be. But Imo, there is no need to carry - on the Camino francés - supplies of tp to go 'in the woods'. There are so many albergues, cafes, restaurants along the way, with toilet facilities....
I don't know, maybe all those people who litter behind every bush are all ill ...

Don't worry....TP is firmly back on the 'non-negotiable' part of my packing list! But it'll only be half a roll with the inner cardboard removed ...space saving ;) Fingers-crossed to don't have an 'emergency' need for it!

I take a pocket pack of tissues always in my pocket, for any paperless toilets (paperless because someone has stripped the supply!) and a small cotton handkerchief in a ziplock plastic bag for any on-the-trail emergency - and wash it out and dry it at night. Please please do not leave litter of any sort on or near the path.

In 9 caminos, some in France, some in Spain, I have never, repeat never, needed to poo outside. OK, not everyone's system is that good, and sometimes people do get ill which is a reasonable excuse, but this is one situation on the Camino where I do plan.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.