• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another pilgrim rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrina2000

Staff member
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
At least he was not injured, just lost. But how he could have taken a wrong there I have no idea.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I met an elderly French woman last May who made reservations past Roncesvalles, got totally lost, walked around for hours until evening and finally, ran into a taxi driver who drove her to her accommodations which was several kilometers away without charging her. I never understood how she got so off course, and frankly, I don't think she did either. Maybe so tired or engrossed in thought that she missed the arrows? I guessed at the time that her albergue was off the beaten path. Rather than give details about what was an embarrassing/frightening situation, she mostly wanted to talk about her gratitude toward her camino angel.

People who have never missed an arrow have little idea how easy it is. Those of us who have, do.
Walking the Via Francigena through Switzerland I missed a turning somewhere in heavy rain, went the wrong direction and ended up completely lost in torrential rain in a pine forest. I ended up spending the night sleeping in a wooden storage shed for rubbish bins. Fortunately I had full camping gear with me and was never in any danger or serious discomfort. All too easy to do.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
2004 signage on the Valcarlos alternative out of SJPdP was miniscule yellow arrows painted on popsicle-like sticks and rather randomly attached to trees, logs, etc. Eventually I sensed that I was going north within a dense wood where the correct path should be basically west. Backtracking to the last marker nailed to a moveable stake I spotted with relief a distant farmer; he walked towards me as I walked towards him. When asked the way to Arneguy he simply quarter-turned the stake and replied "Oh those children they just love to confuse you pilgrims". ...Luckily the signage has vastly improved over recent years and there are no more moveable arrows, but a basic sense of direction is still most helpful.

The path between Roncesvalles and Burguete is straight forward, almost flat, parallel to the main road. Difficult to get lost, even when walking in the dark. My question is: who gave the alarm for what reason?:(

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My question is: who gave the alarm for what reason?:(
She may have, perhaps afraid she would have to spend the night out there. Or someone she was supposed to meet up with who called in the troops as she was not arriving.

Seniors and minors shouldn't travel alone ... but since they walk slow, no one may be willing to walk with them ... a checkpoint system might be nice but unsure how that will be put in place ...

Hmmm....you may have to change your opinion on what constitutes a "senior" on this forum. A very large number of our veteran members are way over the age of 70.
They walk every route and are often trailblazing and writing guides for new routes.

I think you may be surprised at the age, condition...and "speed" of these very experienced pilgrims.
You may have a hard time catching up to them with your 50 lb plus pack.

The path between Roncesvalles and Burguete is straight forward, almost flat, parallel to the main road. Difficult to get lost, even when walking in the dark. My question is: who gave the alarm for what reason?:(

It really is difficult to understand. I walked in January..in the dark and in a snowstorm with really low visibility.
We would have had to work at it to get lost. I am not even sure if there is a turnoff of any type. Strange

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My translation says he was walking between St Jean Pied de Port and Burguette. So although he was found between Roncesvalles and Burguette, that may have only been where he finished up.
That would make a bit more sense.
I suppose he could have missed something before Roncesvalles and missed the proper route through and out.

After all...he was a senior and should have had a chaperone.

Seniors and minors shouldn't travel alone ... but since they walk slow, no one may be willing to walk with them ... a checkpoint system might be nice but unsure how that will be put in place ...
You are coming in dangerous waters with your Seniors remark.

Wish you well,Peter,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Read all Grayland's posts...me thinks he speaks with tongue in cheek.

I almost got lost between Orisson and Roncevalles. I walked off the road and across the grass to take pictures of the Vierge d'Orisson, blissfully unaware there was a fork in the road. As I turned back I headed for the bit of road I could see and I am ever grateful to the pilgrim that spotted I was heading the wrong way and called me back to the path or it could have been a few hours before I realised I had taken the wrong turning.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
...and that is why I, who was not blessed with a sense of direction, take occasional looks on my phone GPS during the day.

Actually, it takes me OFF the marked path from time to time (when the Powers That Be have decided to choose the most scenic route and my bad knee would rather walk the flat route), but I do get where I want to go.

Hmmm....you may have to change your opinion on what constitutes a "senior" on this forum. A very large number of our veteran members are way over the age of 70.
They walk every route and are often trailblazing and writing guides for new routes.

I think you may be surprised at the age, condition...and "speed" of these very experienced pilgrims.
You may have a hard time catching up to them with your 50 lb plus pack.
Hurrah! the best post I have read in ages.

My translation says he was walking between St Jean Pied de Port and Burguette. So although he was found between Roncesvalles and Burguette, that may have only been where he finished up.

On the way to the Monastery, after came down from Pyrenees and saw a church-like building, I almost got lost. Fortunately, I met a pilgrim when back-tracked to the church-like building.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well I am glad everything worked out well I maybe going again in 2019 it seems and I will be close to 73; we are planning for the 800 -900 kms : did 146 k with my son in 2015 and loved it but it was very difficult for me at times as I have health issues that like to make things a little more challenging ; any way I am looking forward to pushing my limits again : but after seeing how many get lost I am concernes as I can get lost in a parking lot , It is not my age's fault I have always had a bad sense of direction ..... so it is good to know if my son doesn't come with me this time , and my friends aren't as patient as he was with me , that there are rescuers that will show up

I found that the locals were of great help.

I missed one set of arrows in a town (thinking about life) and a gentleman started shouting at me that I was going the wrong way. He pointed me back in the right direction and wished me a Buen Camino.

Another time, I was distracted by a traffic accident in Sarria (apparently the driver was distracted too). Again, the locals checked with me and then pointed me in the right direction.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
People who have never missed an arrow have little idea how easy it is. Those of us who have, do.

Yeah.

And it's not that bad, it's part of the journey. I remember a couple of times in Norway when I almost doubled the distance because of missing a sign.

Anyway there are a couple of tips in these cases. The easiest, go back on your steps until you find an arrow, and stay on a road until you find people, a village/town/building or a car to ask for help.

This one between Roncesvalles and Burguete. I am not sure exactly how it could have happened.

http://www.diariodenavarra.es/notic...a-entre-roncesvalles-burguete-546016-300.html

70 year old pilgrim from the US was found two kms before Burguete.

He was found at 9 pm, well before sunset, so unless the weather was terrible it would have been daylight. The article doesn't say how the authorities were alerted.

This one between Roncesvalles and Burguete. I am not sure exactly how it could have happened.

http://www.diariodenavarra.es/notic...a-entre-roncesvalles-burguete-546016-300.html

70 year old pilgrim from the US was found two kms before Burguete.

He was found at 9 pm, well before sunset, so unless the weather was terrible it would have been daylight. The article doesn't say how the authorities were alerted.

If day is very clouded or foggy at 18 pm seems like 21 pm. Is not usual but sometimes can be fog in this area.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Those of you who read Jack Hitt's book "Off the Road" will remember that he got lost walking out of St Jean.
He walked all day, questioning why the river was on the wrong side. Eventually he saw a village in the distance and thought it must be Roncesvalles.
When he got closer he found that it was St Jean! He had walked in a complete circle and had to start all over the again the next day!
PS: They didn't put that in the movie The Way which was based on the book!

I missed an arrow heading up to O'Cebreiro and walked up a very steep road for several kilos until a kind woman stopped her car and told me I was going the wrong way. I actually caught the moment on video (probably why I missed the arrow ;-) ). If you want to see it follow the link below.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I leave next week for Camino Frances fir the first time , alone and quite fit 70 year old . I wasn't worried until I saw this post about getting lost . I'm a little concerned now . Should I be and does anyone have any suggestions for me apart from cancelling ?

Wynne, the Camino Frances is very well marked and most of the time you are following others who will see the arrows. I missed several along the trail but every time within a few minutes someone corrected me. I would not worry about getting lost. If you do it's not the end of the world, you get to see something you had not planned on and you get to take a taxi to where you actually wanted to go that day.

Wynne, the Camino Frances is very well marked and most of the time you are following others who will see the arrows. I missed several along the trail but every time within a few minutes someone corrected me. I would not worry about getting lost. If you do it's not the end of the world, you get to see something you had not planned on and you get to take a taxi to where you actually wanted to go that day.
Thanks for this assurance . I'm feeling a little less anxious now .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I leave next week for Camino Frances fir the first time , alone and quite fit 70 year old . I wasn't worried until I saw this post about getting lost . I'm a little concerned now . Should I be and does anyone have any suggestions for me apart from cancelling ?
You should not be significantly concerned. Of course you are a "little" concerned, but that is what will keep you safe!

Cancelling? No, no. You will also have read how we just can't understand how this person got lost. It really is straight forward, quite litterally. Just pay attention, and if and when you don't see an arrow for a while, unless there have been no intersections, or you haven't seen anyone in front or behind you, retrace your footsteps until you see an arrow. Just make sure you retrace them, don't head off in any random direction.

We called in to the pilgrims office in st Jean to get our first stamp and they gave useful advice on the orrison/ napoleon route, where to come off the road so you don't do a loop back down to stjean, and which route is safest to come down off the top to roncesvalles, also weather advice( this was October). We also got lots of route knowledge from john brierlys book. If you leave in the morning with most people you'll see others on the route ahead you can follow, but always check for yourself though, don't follow blindly just in case they might have gone wrong- I'm sure you'd do that anyway. I was surprised at how well signed it all was but could also see how, in bad weather or fog, you could go wrong on the top. So keep others in sight, read up beforehand, take advice from the pilgrim office and you'll be fine. I might suggest too you might want to consider breaking the first day into two and stop overnight in orrison, we did and it was the right decision for us, and a great place to stay.

€149,-
For the "elderly" pilgrims. We hope to walk the Camino Primitivo, and the Camino El Verde in May next year. What follows is somewhat technical. I will have an app of the OZ designed OziExplorer running on my Android phone with the route for the day and the 1:25,000 "live" topographic maps loaded OziExplorer will beep at me at changes in direction, and give me a compass bearing. It will provide a backup if the yellow arrows are confusing or missing. The app shows an arrow at your current GPS location on the map image with an overlay of the route for the day. The phone will be fitted with an extended battery to the phone which will allow the app to run continuously for 12 hours. The routes shown on the OSM style map called OSM Outdoors available in RidewithGPS will also be loaded and the maps from the Spanish Mapping site http://centrodedescargas.cnig.es/CentroDescargas/index.jsp- Image files in "TIF" format will provide the location. I will be 80 by then, and started training and planning in December last year. The app performed well on our part Camino de Levante in 2014. My bushwalking and touring cyclists friends are all over 75, (some in their late 80's) and still pretty fit. I don't propose to be lost, unless my brain fails. The setting up of routes is quite time consuming, but provides a great preview of individual sections of the route - in the planning stages, as OziExplorer PC has access to aerial views along the whole way.
Buen Camino

Another rescue story today: this time from Molinaseca. A rescue operation was mounted after three Italian pilgrims called for help after finding themselves lost 2km off the Camino. According to press reports none were injured or in any danger at the time. If this is actually the case then a great deal of time and expense was wasted in the operation. A reminder of the need for self-reliance and judgement when calling for help.

http://cadenaser.com/emisora/2017/08/19/radio_bierzo/1503163363_930706.html

Those of you who read Jack Hitt's book "Off the Road" will remember that he got lost walking out of St Jean.
He walked all day, questioning why the river was on the wrong side. Eventually he saw a village in the distance and thought it must be Roncesvalles.
When he got closer he found that it was St Jean! He had walked in a complete circle and had to start all over the again the next day!
PS: They didn't put that in the movie The Way which was based on the book!

They should have put it in the book too that is too funny Thank you for the name of the book that the movie was based on I was wanting to know who wrote it and the name of it

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Another rescue story today: this time from Molinaseca. A rescue operation was mounted after three Italian pilgrims called for help after finding themselves lost 2km off the Camino. According to press reports none were injured or in any danger at the time. If this is actually the case then a great deal of time and expense was wasted in the operation. A reminder of the need for self-reliance and judgement when calling for help.

http://cadenaser.com/emisora/2017/08/19/radio_bierzo/1503163363_930706.html
I hope we find out how much they will be fined for the use of the helicopter for their "rescue". Could make for an expensive holiday. :confused:

Another news item says that they will not be charged because the rescue helicopter was already in the area and was diverted to them instead of sending a patrol car.

https://www.infobierzo.com/la-guard...perdidos-a-2-kilometros-de-molinaseca/332900/
Not what is says. It does say the helicopter went instead of the car because it was already there, but they are not being charged because this is considered a piblic service.

I get it's a piblic service, but when warranted. Not when "lost" 2 km off route on the previously marked route. :confused:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I found that the locals were of great help.

I missed one set of arrows in a town (thinking about life) and a gentleman started shouting at me that I was going the wrong way. He pointed me back in the right direction and wished me a Buen Camino.

Another time, I was distracted by a traffic accident in Sarria (apparently the driver was distracted too). Again, the locals checked with me and then pointed me in the right direction.

Many many times locals have pointed us the right way, and often walked aways with us to make sure we would not miss the arrows. Usually a more mature man walking a dog. We became convinced that there is a secret society of these Camino guides....

With today's technology - we all have GPS on our cell phones - nobody should feel lost being 2km off a path!

I got off the trail just twice, and it was because I got immersed in my thoughts and just missed a yellow arrow :)

There is no need to worry. Just keep your chin up and look around! Aside from being a bit extra-vigilant over the Pyrenees, look both ways when crossing streets and you all should be fine. Even the "slow" seniors and minors, ha ha!

I'll never forget my first night in SJPP seeing two of those doddering old seniors hike into town. She had long grey hair, piercing blue eyes, and legs like tree trunks. Strong and fast. He was the same. They had just finished hiking the Camino Frances both directions, and neither could have been under the age of 75. Beautiful, strong people. I'll also note that the majority of my friends online are much older than I am (yes, I'm a senior also) and they can all out-hike me. I'm good for 24 k. but beyond that is a push.

Not all who wander are lost. Not all who claim to be lost are really lost.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
- we all have GPS on our cell phones -

That is a very big assumption, and you know what happens when we ASS/U/ME. Not everyone has cell phones, and not all cell phones have GPS. Even if they do, GPS-equipped cell phones aren't very useful to the average pilgrim unless it has access to the appropriate map(s).

To illustrate, my wife and I took an Amtrak train north from LA to San Francisco. The tracks travel through Vandenberg Air Force Base, a vast and highly-sensitive military installation. Before and after our passage thru the base, the GPS on my smart phone showed me exactly where I was in relation to towns, roads, etc. During our passage, the screen showed nothing but unrelieved green. It still showed me exactly where we were within the green, but nothing else. It didn't even show the tracks on which we were riding! If it I had become necessary to walk out of there, the best we could have done was to use GPS to find the Pacific, and strike westward toward it.

Does anyone know the massive painted floor arrow in La Faba that directs you right; off towards Laguna and not down the hill towards somewhere else?

We missed that one! o_O

And I defy anyone to get through Burgos without straying from the marked path...

That is such the truth. Walking out of SJPP and heading to Irun I thought , "no one can get lost here! Markers everywhere..."
I even had images of me sharing my wonderful opinion here on the forum, "it would be impossible to get lost here"...
We missed ONE and only ONE and got totally lost...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back