• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another Pilgrimage

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Looks like I'll have another pilgrimage route to try, although the rain and lodging may be tough.
Offa's Dyke was knee-deep in mud when we tried it.
The canal route in Wales was better, and beautiful, but lodging was an issue.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Looks great! I wonder if they have thought about accommodation at all though?

Davey

Looks great! I wonder if they have thought about accommodation at all though

Probably not. Seems to be mostly an online exercise to provide information about churches and chapels along existing routes. Not really a practical "bricks and mortar" project. I don't think there are any routes in the UK which have dedicated albergue-style accommodation. Even on long established walking routes like the West Highland Way or the Pennine Way low-cost options are very thin on the ground.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You would probably need to find lodging, then pay a taxi to take you to one end of your daily route and pick you up at the other end. Sometimes there may be lodgings along the way. It would take some research. That said, Wales has some spectacular walking trails. We stayed with friends there one year for a couple of months and had a great time walking.

I think this is an area that definitely needs looking into. There is fabulous country here to be explored. Let's get some infrastructure in place and sell it to the rest of the world.....😉
There is a group with a website "champing.co.uk" that promote camping in historic churches throughout the uk. We came across one of them on the Saxon Shore Way this year . Although we didn't stay in it we thought it was a great idea . At the moment there is only one church in Wales on the list but the idea could easily be rolled out across the country .

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.