• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another question, just before I go...

PEI_Heather

Canadian Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016 - Voie de la Nive
2012, 2016 - Frances
2013 - Portuguese
2012, 2013 - Finesterre & Muxia
First, thanks Falcon269 for adding me to the calendar!

OK, so I've found out that potentially my two friends and I may just be the only pilgrims we meet along the way, from Lisbon to maybe Porto...or possibly even farther north. That's fine. We'll just enjoy the company of the lovely Portuguese folks we meet.

Since we are walking relatively late into the 'season' (13 Oct - 6/7 Nov), will we be finding alberques or other accommodation potentially shut for the winter? My real (and only real) question to this is this: take a mat or don't take a mat. I've got a self-inflating sleeping pad and I'm wondering if there is any point to packing it along.

That being said, I guess if I do, that will take up all the space in my pack for my bottles and bottles of maple syrup and peanut butter. However will I live without them?! Hahahaha! (Just kidding! All peanut butter and maple products will be staying home, so I can enjoy them when I return!)

(I think it's time I head home; I'm still at work. Photo shoot for my website tonight. But I've been here already many hours--I think I'm getting a wee bit loopy!)

Cheers!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I took a self inflating mat and didn't use it once. Even if you are looking to stay in the Bombeiros Voluntarios they have matresses. Accommodation from Lisbon to Porto is readily available but it is more expensive than the albergues from Porto to Santiago (however the food and drink was often cheaper). One of the guys I walked with had a foam mat and we used that to sit and rest on the ground. It was handy for that, but he didn't sleep on his and he stayed in several Bombeiros. I don't think the season will make much difference to the accommodation options south of Porto.

Bom Caminho,
Phil.

I took a self inflating mat and didn't use it once. Even if you are looking to stay in the Bombeiros Voluntarios they have matresses. Accommodation from Lisbon to Porto is readily available but it is more expensive than the albergues from Porto to Santiago (however the food and drink was often cheaper). One of the guys I walked with had a foam mat and we used that to sit and rest on the ground. It was handy for that, but he didn't sleep on his and he stayed in several Bombeiros. I don't think the season will make much difference to the accommodation options south of Porto.

Bom Caminho,
Phil.

Thanks Phil! You've just made my pack that much lighter. I won't take my sleeping pad. Now...hmmmm...maple syrup or peanut butter to fill that space! LOL

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don’t think that you will need, because even the Bombeiros Voluntários (Volunteer Firefighters) have mattresses for you to use.

I will only give you and advice about firefighters. Most of them aren’t accepting pilgrims after an incident that happened in February or March this year, so pay attention to that. Be always one foot ahead from your sleeping location, and try to see if you have any alternatives.

Best Regards
Diogo Martins

I don’t think that you will need, because even the Bombeiros Voluntários (Volunteer Firefighters) have mattresses for you to use.

I will only give you and advice about firefighters. Most of them aren’t accepting pilgrims after an incident that happened in February or March this year, so pay attention to that. Be always one foot ahead from your sleeping location, and try to see if you have any alternatives.

Best Regards
Diogo Martins

I have also heard something similar about the Bombeiros Voluntários. Can you tell us all what happened? Thanks ahead of time.:)

Buen Camino!

For what I’ve been told, there was one guy that went to fire houses, and tell the firefighters that was a pilgrim, and ended up stealing things from the firefighters.

He even stole one car once. So the firefighters started talking between them, and they started to deny pilgrims accommodation. It’s not all, but the majority it’s denying accommodation.

Best Regards
Diogo

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
All it takes is one bad apple to rot the barrel.

Thanks for the reply Diogo92

Buen Camino!

I am actually kind of surprised that the Bombeiros kept on taking pilgrims for such a long time. When the numbers were trivially small, it was no big deal. They have some extra beds, a pilgrim shows up occasionally, why not let him/her take a shower and sleep there. But as this becomes a more regular occurrence, even if there is no pilgrim misbehavior or no people masquerading as pilgrims, it must at some point interfere with their primary reason for being there, ie, fighting fires. So even though this is a shameful way to put an end to this generosity, I think we can say that the silver lining is that more and more pilgrim accommodations are being built to pick up the slack, and that in turn will bring more pilgrims!

If you compare the accommodations available back when I walked in 2009, the growth and improvement have been amazing! Laurie

Best Regards
Diogo Martins

That is great advice and I appreciate it, Diogo. I'm going to pick up a cheap cell phone/mobile so we can call ahead to do just that. I don't like the idea of walking 30+ km to a place, only to discover the only place to sleep is not taking in pilgrims now! There are always alternatives, right? We just have to make sure we keep our creative sparks alive so we can think of them. Those that think only inside the box will find it very difficult to get out of that box, much less to think outside of it! :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
For what I’ve been told, there was one guy that went to fire houses, and tell the firefighters that was a pilgrim, and ended up stealing things from the firefighters.

He even stole one car once. So the firefighters started talking between them, and they started to deny pilgrims accommodation. It’s not all, but the majority it’s denying accommodation.

Best Regards
Diogo

WHAT???? That is terrible. What a louse. He made life worse for the firefighters, for the pilgrims and for himself. Karma will get him. He may one day have his own (legally purchased) car and someone will steal it from him.

Thanks for letting me know, Diogo. If we run into any firefighters and they seem to look upon us with even a wee bit of suspicion, we'll know why. :(

I am actually kind of surprised that the Bombeiros kept on taking pilgrims for such a long time. When the numbers were trivially small, it was no big deal. They have some extra beds, a pilgrim shows up occasionally, why not let him/her take a shower and sleep there. But as this becomes a more regular occurrence, even if there is no pilgrim misbehavior or no people masquerading as pilgrims, it must at some point interfere with their primary reason for being there, ie, fighting fires. So even though this is a shameful way to put an end to this generosity, I think we can say that the silver lining is that more and more pilgrim accommodations are being built to pick up the slack, and that in turn will bring more pilgrims!

If you compare the accommodations available back when I walked in 2009, the growth and improvement have been amazing! Laurie

I'll let you know about the accommodations that we take, Laurie. I think they will be marvelous, no matter how ordinary they physically may appear. :)

Bom Caminho,
Phil.
Thank you, Phil I've been looking for a mat and will now quit!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I know I've said this often, but I'll say it again. For pilgrims walking between Lisboa and Porto, if you have a phone, and if you have a problem, you can call 915 595 213. That is the "SOS peregrinos" phone number -- someone will help you. A member of the ViaLusitana has this phone on 24/7 -- they can get you help in English, Spanish, German, or Portuguese. Believe it or not, they have helped people who called from the middle of a eucalyptus forest, or from some confusing place near Pombalinho, or looking for a place to stay in some town along the way. They are wonderful people and will help you. So, carry this number and don't be afraid to use it! Bom caminho, Laurie

That is one of the most useful pieces of advice I´ve seen here in the forum Peregrina2000.

Thanks a lot for sharing it with us all. Both for people who may need it & for those who can pass it on to others who may.

Buen Camino!

I know I've said this often, but I'll say it again. For pilgrims walking between Lisboa and Porto, if you have a phone, and if you have a problem, you can call 915 595 213. That is the "SOS peregrinos" phone number -- someone will help you. A member of the ViaLusitana has this phone on 24/7 -- they can get you help in English, Spanish, German, or Portuguese. Believe it or not, they have helped people who called from the middle of a eucalyptus forest, or from some confusing place near Pombalinho, or looking for a place to stay in some town along the way. They are wonderful people and will help you. So, carry this number and don't be afraid to use it! Bom caminho, Laurie

Will do, Laurie! I'll put this number directly in my contact list on the phone I pick up in Paris (10 hour stopover before flying to Lisbon...whatever will I do with my time, LOL!) or in Lisbon! Thanks for the number again. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back