• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another reason why exercise is good for you

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Exercise is always good for you what ever age you are .:)

Of course you are right.
But the younger ones are often blessed with such a good health that they do not feel the difference.

Some... okay... many years ago I smiled at my mother doing gym for her back... what I thought was a completely unnecessary activity.
Nowadays I feel my back sometimes and it "reminds me" to do more gym for my back.

My training walks are for my camino and the positive health effects are welcome (and I think I can feel them), but the health effects are not the reason for doing it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Training rocks are excellent. But beware of training injuries. I developed a stress fracture in one toe. Had to take a break. And now I have a gluteal tendinopathy. And five weeks from my walk. Have to balance training, building stamina against good self-care. As someone else said somewhere on the forum you don’t have to walk the whole Camino before you go to do the Camino

Training rocks are excellent. But beware of training injuries. I developed a stress fracture in one toe. Had to take a break. And now I have a gluteal tendinopathy. And five weeks from my walk. Have to balance training, building stamina against good self-care. As someone else said somewhere on the forum you don’t have to walk the whole Camino before you go to do the Camino
Marathon runners, I believe, don't train for a marathon by running a marathon every day!

Marathon runners, I believe, don't train for a marathon by running a marathon every day!

No, but they definitely do train!! :D

Although not a cyclist or runner, my dad was always involved in some sport -- bowling, golf, racquetball, then in later years the stationary bike. He was still going to the gym at 89, and on the golf course at 91. And other than a mild heart attack 35 years ago, almost never sick.

He'll turn 100 in June. Good genes? Physical activity? His doctors credit both.

Keep walking!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I intend to! But per the doctor, will take a rest day in between for a week or so. I walk good long day take a day off walk a good long day take one it off and then start doing consecutive days.

No, but they definitely do train!! :D

Although not a cyclist or runner, my dad was always involved in some sport -- bowling, golf, racquetball, then in later years the stationary bike. He was still going to the gym at 89, and on the golf course at 91. And other than a mild heart attack 35 years ago, almost never sick.

He'll turn 100 in June. Good genes? Physical activity? His doctors credit both.

Keep walking!
Maybe you will inherit his genes .

Wish you well,Peter.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is this a case of two legs good, two wheels better?

Use it or lose it! Getting old is like being the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz. If you do not keep moving and lubricated...you seize up.

Keep moving...
I have exercised with 3 friends twice a week for 7 years. I tell others that I am like the Tin Man in the "Wizard of Oz"; gotta oil my joints so I can keep movin'.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Run or Walk?

Walking is GOOD for you.

"Researchers analyzed 33,060 runners in the National Runners’ Health Study and 15,045 walkers in the National Walkers’ Health Study. They found that the same energy used for moderate- intensity walking and vigorous-intensity running resulted in similar reductions in risk for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, and possibly coronary heart disease over the study’s six years."

“The findings are consistent with the American Heart Association’s recommendations for physical activity in adults that we need 30 minutes of physical activity per day, at least 150 minutes of moderate activity per week or 75 minutes of vigorous activity per week to derive benefits.”

Click here for more information from The American Heart Association:

No pares de caminar! La luz de Dios alumbra su camino.

You are correct. I'm training for a half marathon (21.1 km) and my max training run is 18km a few weeks before the event. Aspiring marathon runners often only train to 3/4 full distance, you have to be in good shape to even get that far so the extra kms on race day are not too much of a stretch (usually).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Correct. And Caminos and marathons are two completely different forms of movement.
If you are a beginner in marathons, you need to run - at slow pace with whatever number of stops and stretches of walking -the all distance, in order to allow you bodymind to get acquainted with the endurance.
IMHO (and experience with other people whom I coached) for Caminos it's enough to do a training that allows you to walk one typical leg (say 30 Km) or two (with some days of rest in between), wearing and carrying all what you will use in your Pilgrimage.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back