• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another rescue by bomberos on the Route Napoleon

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
A local news website has reported on another rescue by local emergency services on the Route Napoleon. A rescue team set off in response to a phone call regarding one woman in obvious difficulty late in the day with darkness falling. While searching for this woman the team came across a further 10 pilgrims - one solo Taiwanese pilgrim and a group of 9 Koreans - one also exhausted and the group at risk of being stuck overnight high in the hills. All were safely driven down to Roncesvalles unharmed though because of the number involved this took two journeys to complete.

http://navarra.elespanol.com/articu...te-bomberos-sucesos/20170913230256141928.html

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
These guys are based in Burguete aren't they?
It would be nice to drop in with a gift next time we are passing.....
First Responders everywhere do such a great job.....

I imagine this is a volunteer group, who probably just have a garage with a couple of vehicles somewhere in the village. Anyone know where it is? (just to drop something off)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Love those rescue teams!! But, so sorry, I couldn't help laughing when I read how many they had found! I do wonder what time they started .. and then, they were at Roland's spring .. go back a few hundred yards and you are back on that tarmac road - easy peasy, follow it downhill - and they had just crossed that, the poor things.

But - laughing out loud aside, I am glad they are safe and well.

I'm posting this here so people don't assume that this is a dangerous route. The first thing you need to pack is COMMON SENSE. I was staying at Orisson last night when this crew came through at 5:30pm (yes, at night) and started up the hill to Roncesvalles (yes, 17km away)!!! There were a plethora of us jaw dropped. I feel bad the rescue crews have to pluck people off the mountain who could have clearly avoided risking their (the rescuers) health.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
i was surprised this last january that at the top junction in sjpdeport that there were no signs stating that the napoleon route was closed to pilgrims,surely this is the not too difficult to sort out, there were a few pilgrims that later arrived in Roncellavas who had inadvertably gone the Napolean route mistakenly and were very lucky. come on whoever is in charge in StJeanPied De Port,and rectify this serious issue.

Any way to know who they were? We haven't heard from my mother-in-law in a few days (after regular check-ins). She is Korean, but was traveling alone.

Any way to know who they were? We haven't heard from my mother-in-law in a few days (after regular check-ins). She is Korean, but was traveling alone.

The people passing through Orisson in the evening were clearly with a group. I suspect a tour group. There was clearly a leader.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On April 12th, 2015 I stayed at Corazon Puro the night before starting my Camino. Around the communal dinner table that evening a couple from Brazil had already started earlier from SJPdP. They encountered hardship crossing the Napolean and I believe had gotten somewhat lost. They actually had to spend the night in that stone hut somewhere near the top. :eek: Another pilgrim at our table had slipped and fallen on icy snow several times coming up and over.:eek:

I decided then and there that I was taking the Valcarlos route! I loved it and when arriving in Roncevalles many pilgrims we met who had taken the Napolean route had high winds, fog and slippery mud to contend with. I had so many good memories of the Valcarlos route that I walked it again in April 2017!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm posting this here so people don't assume that this is a dangerous route. The first thing you need to pack is COMMON SENSE. I was staying at Orisson last night when this crew came through at 5:30pm (yes, at night) and started up the hill to Roncesvalles (yes, 17km away)!!! There were a plethora of us jaw dropped. I feel bad the rescue crews have to pluck people off the mountain who could have clearly avoided risking their (the rescuers) health.
Thanks for the additional info. I would suggest that these people acted rather foolishly and possibly should be asked to contribute to their rescue. Love the note about packing "common sense"; sadly it's all too rare!

She is probably fine. It is very easy to forget to call home once you get into a daily routine on the Camino. Where was she when you last heard from her?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would suggest that these people acted rather foolishly and possibly should be asked to contribute to their rescue. Love the note about packing "common sense"; sadly it's all too rare!
I suspect it is more the language barrier, and the lack of availability of adequate trail information in Korean/Taiwanese. There are many more Asian pilgrims these days. Are there warning signs (and/or info sheets at the SJPP Pilgrim Office) in the appropriate language? One must really wonder as to the group tour arrangements - if a traveler thought the tour operator was knowledgeable and legitimate, one would put their faith in that tour guide.

. . . Anyone know where it is? . . .
This is what I found:

Bomberos de Navarra (AURITZ / BURGUETE)
Dirección
CARRETERA PAMPLONA - FRANCIA 1, PLANTA BAJA
31640 - AURITZ/BURGUETE (NAVARRA)

Teléfonos
112 (SOS Navarra)
948-760366 (Parque)
Correo electrónico
sua@bomberosdenavarra.com

Looking at google map, building 31640 is the Ayuntamiento [town hall, or city hall], they are on the main floor [parte baja]. Good luck, que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

€83,-

I'm sure you will 'catch up to them' in the next 48 hours. Will be interesting to hear what else you find out ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
i was surprised this last january that at the top junction in sjpdeport that there were no signs stating that the napoleon route was closed to pilgrims,surely this is the not too difficult to sort out, there were a few pilgrims that later arrived in Roncellavas who had inadvertably gone the Napolean route mistakenly and were very lucky. come on whoever is in charge in StJeanPied De Port,and rectify this serious issue.

These trails and gravel roads are public and can be used by anyone, any time of the year. If you can handle walking through these hills in winter lies in your own responsibility.
Simple as that.
They can't block all trails in the Alps/ Pyrenees/... either in autumn, just because some tourists could (and probably will) get lost or hurt.

Just because there is a huge number of pilgrims the responsibility for yourself and your own decisions is not lowered.

Some winters ago I did a day hike between Roncesvalles and Ortzanzurieta peak and there were some hunters in the forest as well as some other hikers. Later on I told some pilgrims about it and they said what I did was "illegal" and that the trail was "closed".
Which is of course not true. It's just a regular foothill of the Pyrenees and if you're not prepared for cold, wind and perhaps snow in winter, you shouldn't go there. But it's mostly literally a gravel road that a jeep can drive on, not a winding mountain trail.

These trails and gravel roads are public and can be used by anyone, any time of the year. If you can handle walking through these hills in winter lies in your own responsibility.
Simple as that.
They can't block all trails in the Alps/ Pyrenees/... either in autumn, just because some tourists could (and probably will) get lost or hurt.

This particular route is subject to a very specific piece of local legislation - at least on the Spanish section. Its use between November 1 and March 31 is explicitly prohibited and local police are empowered to enforce this.

http://www.navarra.es/home_es/Actualidad/BON/Boletines/2015/138/Anuncio-10/ 06/11/2015

I suspect it is more the language
I suspect it is more the language barrier, and the lack of availability of adequate trail information in Korean/Taiwanese. There are many more Asian pilgrims these days. Are there warning signs (and/or info sheets at the SJPP Pilgrim Office) in the appropriate language? One must really wonder as to the group tour arrangements - if a traveler thought the tour operator was knowledgeable and legitimate, one would put their faith in that tour guide.

It doesn't matter what country you come from when the sun is setting it is going to be dark. When you are going up a mountain and the sun is setting you shouldn't need a book to tell you this is a bad idea.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sadly, today near Zubri I had to call rescue (112) for a woman from Slovenia who fell and hit her head about 50 feet in front of me. I passed her on the Pyrenees yesterday & stayed at a hostel with her last night. She was in superior condition and a very, very strong hiker. She just took a mis-step and fell. A massive gash on her head. I wouldn't be surprised if she required surgery. My thoughts are with her as I continue.

It certainly pays to be safe and quite conservative early on in the Camino experience.

Thankfully the Bomberos were there to help, it could have been very messy if they weren't.

From the article "entre los que se encontraba una persona invidente." God bless and protect this person. A blind person included in the group of about nine Koreans rescued, this person is walking his/her camino and is counting on those in a leadership position to make the right decisions. Good luck, que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On April 12th, 2015 ... They actually had to spend the night in that stone hut somewhere near the top. :eek: Another pilgrim at our table had slipped and fallen on icy snow several times coming up and over.:eek:

My 15 year old son was disappointed that we hadn't spent the night in that shelter. (We had spent the night at Orrison.) --It was late April and we did get some fog and snow blowing sidewise, but happily we could always see the trail. -- We checked the weather before setting out, having gotten stuck in mountain snow and ice storms in the Rockies. We also did not go off the trail .

OK - have re-read the original post. Yes appropriate language warning notices (I think they are there in French/Spanish/English/German), with increases in pilgrim numbers from Korea and now Taiwan/PR China would help. Cheers

Last edited:

It's almost impossible to believe that anyone would set out so late to walk across the Pyrenees. But before we condemn them totally it would be good to know a bit more. I remember speaking to several people with horror stories about being denied accommodation in St Jean; a fellow caminante from Korea arrived there late and was asked for €200 just to put his head down for six hours. I don't know whether he agreed to this or not, but at least he used his brains and didn't make things worse by setting off for Roncesvalles.

On April 12th, 2015 I stayed at Corazon Puro the night before starting my Camino. Around the communal dinner table that evening a couple from Brazil had already started earlier from SJPdP. They encountered hardship crossing the Napolean and I believe had gotten somewhat lost. They actually had to spend the night in that stone hut somewhere near the top. :eek: Another pilgrim at our table had slipped and fallen on icy snow several times coming up and over.:eek:

I decided then and there that I was taking the Valcarlos route! I loved it and when arriving in Roncevalles many pilgrims we met who had taken the Napolean route had high winds, fog and slippery mud to contend with. I had so many good memories of the Valcarlos route that I walked it again in April 2017!

Likewise, I (a Canadian who respects snow) walked SJPP to Valcarlos (slept) then continued to Roncevalles March 19-20 2017. It was wonderful especially given the 7 fellow pilgrims I met along the way the first day and walked with for a few days. I still don't think people should make one feel less of a pilgrim for NOT climbing the Napoleon route. Eventually if rescues/deaths continue to occur (seems to be pilgrims from warm climates) perhaps the French will close the Napoleon route completely and not just over the winter.

A local news website has reported on another rescue by local emergency services on the Route Napoleon. A rescue team set off in response to a phone call regarding one woman in obvious difficulty late in the day with darkness falling. While searching for this woman the team came across a further 10 pilgrims - one solo Taiwanese pilgrim and a group of 9 Koreans - one also exhausted and the group at risk of being stuck overnight high in the hills. All were safely driven down to Roncesvalles unharmed though because of the number involved this took two journeys to complete.

http://navarra.elespanol.com/articu...te-bomberos-sucesos/20170913230256141928.html

I wasbhuking from SJdPP yesterday. App 5 pm a Swedish woman fell and broke her ankle approx 45 hiking minutes from Roncevalles. Bimberoa ably transported her. She was also attended by an American medical professional. Although we asked several people, we don't know her status Saturday night.

I'm sorry, but I don't know if the Koreans. But it would have been foolish to leave Orisson after 2 pm. It rained all afternoon Friday. I hope they're ok.

Orisson ran out of beds by 6 pm Friday night.

€83,-
I noticed that there was no translation of the original article so here is my offering, for clarity;

This Wednesday afternoon, the Burguete firefighters carried out a double rescue in the Camino de Santiago on the Route Napolean. According to the Government of Navarre, Emergency Services sources, there weren two Ukrainian pilgrims who, around 20:00 hours telephoned to alert of the situation.

As they reported, a pilgrim from Germany, although of Spanish origin, was very tired and needed help to continue the march and reach the refuge. They found him in the Fuente de Roldán and the woman about two kilometers behind.

At that time, the firefighters had gone out to look for her in an SUV, when they also found a very tired Taiwanese woman, as well as a group of nine Koreans, among whom was a blind person.

The pilgrims reported that they also needed help, as one of them was also exhausted and it was difficult to keep advancing at dusk.

Thus, they have transported everyone to the refuge at Roncesvalles, in two trips, where they were to recover from a tiring day. Fortunately, they have not needed medical attention from the health center. None had to be taken to the hospital.

It's almost impossible to believe that anyone would set out so late to walk across the Pyrenees. But before we condemn them totally it would be good to know a bit more. I remember speaking to several people with horror stories about being denied accommodation in St Jean; a fellow caminante from Korea arrived there late and was asked for €200 just to put his head down for six hours. I don't know whether he agreed to this or not, but at least he used his brains and didn't make things worse by setting off for Roncesvalles.
If they arrive at Orisson reasonable arrangements were being made. I was there and saw with my own eyes, heard with my own ears the entire situation. Sometimes choices really are sheer stupidity.

Sadly, today near Zubri I had to call rescue (112) for a woman from Slovenia who fell and hit her head about 50 feet in front of me. I passed her on the Pyrenees yesterday & stayed at a hostel with her last night. She was in superior condition and a very, very strong hiker. She just took a mis-step and fell. A massive gash on her head. I wouldn't be surprised if she required surgery. My thoughts are with her as I continue.
Oh, she's my fellow Slovenian.
If you have her contact by any chance plese forward it to me in PM. Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another news item about the Burguete bomberos today. Two separate incidents where pilgrims were treated then transferred to hospital after accidents: the incident @AlexanderAZ mentions above where a woman received a head injury after falling near Zubiri, and another with a probable broken ankle on the Route Napoleon. Another reminder of the valuable service the bomberos provide.
http://www.diariodenavarra.es/notic...-accidentarse-camino-santiago-551261-300.html
I was a climber in my "early" years but due to injuries I couldn't go on with that, ahem, sport. But almost all of my climbing friends remained in the service as a part of a mountain rescue team. They are awoken almost every night! Hats off to those Bombeiros (voluntarios) and others in Pyrenees!!!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My point exactly. If there are numerous Korean visitors, then the hosts have an obligation to provide warning signage in the Korean language.

I must disagree here. There is a limit to how much we foreign visitors can reasonably expect our hosts in France and Spain to provide signage or information in our many different languages. We are each individually responsible for our actions and our personal safety. Amongst other things that means an obligation for adequate research and preparation. If we are travelling in a country where our own language is not widely used then that preparation is all the more important.

Last edited:
These guys are based in Burguete aren't they?
It would be nice to drop in with a gift next time we are passing.....
First Responders everywhere do such a great job.....

I imagine this is a volunteer group, who probably just have a garage with a couple of vehicles somewhere in the village. Anyone know where it is? (just to drop something off)
Bomberos de Navarra (AURITZ / BURGUETE)
Dirección
CARRETERA PAMPLONA - FRANCIA 1, PLANTA BAJA
31640 - AURITZ/BURGUETE (NAVARRA)

Last edited by a moderator:
Take note that people should read up and find out about the Camino before going and I do not mean watch the movie. It is known that they have had to close the route over winter due to fools who risk their lives and those that are sent in to bring them out, that is why it is CLOSED and also they tried putting hefty fines but people still risk their lives. so please do not blame the locals and ask them to do more as it is the ill-prepared pilgrims that are the problem.

€46,-
I must disagree here. There is a limit to how much we foreign visitors can reasonably expect our hosts in France and Spain to provide signage or information in our many different languages. We are each individually responsible for our actions and our personal safety. Amongst other things that means an obligation for adequate research and preparation. If we are travelling in a country where our own language is not widely used then that preparation is all the more important.

Double like :) We don't live in a 'Nanny World'. If travelling to other countries we need to take some personal responsibility. Do some basic research, learn some very basic language.

I'm in Bangkok at the moment and if I could not give basic taxi directions in Thai (outside the main tourist areas) I would be getting lost all the time!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back