• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another shoe/blister thread

Erin Georgiou

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (April-may2018)
Hi all,
I've heeded so much of your worthy advice in terms of footcare for day 1. However, my learning, or concerns, are as follows -
I have well worn in my chosen hiking shoes but had not yet worn them in such hot weather. Today, I have come to realise that these great shoes seem to retain moisture and heat. My feet are literally, cooked (it's day 1). I have some tape and dressing to use with the pressure areas that have already developed - but, any ideas? I changed socks 3 times (!) during the day which helped immensely (thanks to the forum for this wisdom). I don't have any compede but am on the hunt. I do have Vaseline but don't properly know how to use this on blisters that are already developing (pls help!).
I promise I'm not another naive pilgrim; only an experienced hiker who has never had blister issues in all her years. I'm worried how this is going to hamper my camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Saw this in 40c/100f of Aug 2016: 1. buy some trail runners that are extra size or 2. get a sharp knife and cut out a few sections of your hiking shoes (dirt may get in?) where the friction is most. buenos suerte!

For prevention and to reduce friction over hot spots, I like Leukotape P, placed on the area after an application of Tincture of Benzoin, which increases the already strong adhesive holding power of the tape. There's no shifting, rolling up, or peeling away of the tape when combined with the benzoin.

For treatment and protection of a blister, I will first try using Leukotape P, applying an antibiotic ointment to the top skin on the blister -- to keep the tape from ripping of the skin when removed and to provide some sepsis control. This is done after the blister has been slightly incised along its 'side' to prevent the fluid from re-collecting. Sometimes needle pokes re-seal. And don't get me started on the increased risk of infection that occurs when leaving even a sterilized thread, twine, floss, hemp rope, etc in the blister. Folks can do what they want with thread and I won't say a word... unless directly asked :) Debates are not going to change one's firmly held beliefs.

For treatment of severely blistered areas where the underlying skin area is exposed, I have taken a liking to Spenco 2nd Skin Aquaheal Hydrogel Bandages. It has some therapeutic similarities to Compeed, but for wound care I like the Spenco product better. If Hydrogel is not available, substitute with Compeed.

When treating someone with an area where the blistered skin has peeled off, I will trim away any remaining flap of skin, then apply an antibiotic ointment directly onto the wound. Then Hydrogel is applied on top of the ointment. Apply tincture of benzoin to the surrounding skin, followed with an application of Leukotape.

The blisters are occurring because there is shear force friction which needs to be minimized or eliminated. As mentioned above, pre-taping likely areas that could blister is one strategy. Applying Bodyglide, or Hiker's Goo, or even vaseline can also help. I will wear one pair of thin padded wool socks that are almost tight on the foot and keep my shoes a bit loose so that the shear force happens between the sock and the shoe. When shoes are tied too tight, the shear force can take place between the skin of the foot and the sock.

When going downhill, I will temporarily tighten up the shoe to keep my toes from banging on the front of the shoe, which creates its own separate problem. I am also very watchful for any hint of a hotspot which might require immediate attention.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all,
I've heeded so much of your worthy advice in terms of footcare for day 1. However, my learning, or concerns, are as follows -
I have well worn in my chosen hiking shoes but had not yet worn them in such hot weather. Today, I have come to realise that these great shoes seem to retain moisture and heat. My feet are literally, cooked (it's day 1). I have some tape and dressing to use with the pressure areas that have already developed - but, any ideas? I changed socks 3 times (!) during the day which helped immensely (thanks to the forum for this wisdom). I don't have any compede but am on the hunt. I do have Vaseline but don't properly know how to use this on blisters that are already developing (pls help!).
I promise I'm not another naive pilgrim; only an experienced hiker who has never had blister issues in all her years. I'm worried how this is going to hamper my camino.
Hi there!
Even if you have great hiking shoes that you are used to, the Camino is rather unlike regular hiking (unless you have previously hike a Long Distance Trail in these shoes). My feet swell a lot and my hikers are always a full size bigger than my regular shoes. Also a tip is to tighten your laces before a long or steep downhill so your feet don't reward you with Black toenails. Normally one doesn't hike 20 to 30kms every day.
I always had Compeed with me but never had a blister in my 3 times walking - gave out many of them to other people. Buen Camino!! --)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I hiked in sandals as my hiking shoes were giving me blisters on the toes. My wife used her shoes in the morning but switched to sandals after our lunch break. Air your feet at every opportunity. Vaseline as a preventative measure. Tape any hot spot as soon as you feel it.

My advice (which may well get howled down and I don’t have a problem with that because we all have our own opinions) is as soon as possible, ditch the shoes you have and get new ones. There are camino shops in Zubiri and Pamplona. If you cannot find a shoe that works then go for a sandal. Don’t keep walking in shoes that give you blisters in the hope that you will wear them in. Odds are that will not happen.

I am one of those who ditched my shoes in favor of hiking sandals. I never developed further problems, but still had to deal with the blisters I received in the first 3 days. The Teva sandals I purchased in Pamplona are amazingly comfortable! My feet never ached at the end of the day. Also, as I have previously stated in other threads, I wore a combination of Injinji toe socks with waterproof oversocks during the worst rainy/sleety/snowy parts with zero issues. Just be careful going over rocks and slippery parts as you can potentially roll or twist your ankle. Hopefully everyone is able to find that combination of foot care/sock(s)/shoes which allows them to complete their Camino!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One other technique that helps before blisters develop is to just stop, take off your socks, rub your feet for 5 minutes or so and let them cool down a bit. Put your two layer socks and slightly wider shoes back on and carry on. :)

Hi all
Can confirm that I purchased new shoes in Zubiri today. Now sitting enjoying a beer in Larrasoaña, thank you all for your support and recommendations. Weather here on the Camino is still very, grand.
XO

@Erin Georgiou , this advice makes the most sense to me

as soon as possible, ditch the shoes you have and get new ones.

It is drastic. But so will pulling out because your feet are over heating etc.

Our physiology differs from one another, so my solution may not work for you.

Not only are my (running) shoes two sizes bigger, they havr an open weave upper. So they beathe very nicely. And dry out quite quickly after wading through stream.

I am sure there are other brands that may suit. I have found the New Balance brand model 860 suits me. And I take the 4E width.

Kia kaha (take cate, be strong, get going)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.