• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another shoe question advice please for wide feet

• Thread starter Deleted member 75649
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 75649

I walked from SJPP to Santiago in New balance running shoes. I wear men's extra wide 4E. I didn't buy them any bigger than I normally wear as I find I have to wear two pairs of thin sox in winter and one in summer to fit my expanding feet. I got blisters just like everyone else but developed one on the side of my left foot which only became an issue after I went swimming at Finisterre and it got infected. I developed this after walking 40 km in one day and I suspect my foot was pronating when descending down the rocky hills. I also wore foot liners with the individual toes plus thick merino wool sox. I didn't change my sox during the day. My feet ached at night so much so that by the end of the walk I was taking 4 Panadol a night. My question is do I need shoes with tougher soles for the Le puy camino or do I just go with what I have used before? I did not receive any other injuries apart from this. Thanks in advance,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The only time I've ever developed bad blisters is while wearing liners under thick Merino socks. You might be better off just wearing liners and changing them three times a day . They don't need to be clean , just dry .

Have you looked at the insoles to your shoes? 18 months ago I bought a pair of Meindl Philadelphia walking shoes, they have a wide toe box which I like. After about six months I went on a hike doing Hadrian's wall and towards the end of the day my feet were in agony.
My first thought was that I'd bought the wrong type of shoe, but then went to a walking shop and bought some new insoles, what a difference that made, I now regularly walk 18 - 20 miles no problem at all.
Regarding socks (because my feet are different sizes) I wear a Darn Tough on my right foot and a liner sock on my left, works well with no blisters.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The pronation could be causing extra rubbing and that could lead to blistering. Maybe an arch support would help you prevent pronation.

A knee was hurting me on my camino so I paid attention to my foot and I discovered that my arch was not supporting me so I was pronating. I wadded up some toilet paper and placed it under my insole in the arch area and the knee problem went away. I still walk with the paper there three years later.

. I got blisters just like everyone else
I just want to point out that not everyone gets blisters. I've walked from SJPDP to Finisterre twice with just one small blister on my second toe during my first Camino. I wear Wright Socks lightweight double layer socks. On my first Camino I used an anti friction stick on my feet, and on my second Camino I discovered Omnifix tape, which I applied to the balls of my feet and wrapped my second toes every day.

The few times I've gotten a blister it was from the inner sole pinching my foot between it and the shoe.
I'd suggest better and well-fitting insoles.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I consider myself fortunate, 3 caminos, 2300 km and no blisters. I wear LaSportiva Wildcats, roomy, thick mid-soles, aggressive treads, and extremely breathable. My favorite socks to date are the Darn Tough Vertex 1/4 Ultra-Light Cushion Sock (merino). I use to wear the Smartwool Ph'd equivalent but I would always wear through the toe at about the 2 week mark, haven't worn through a pair of the Darn Tough yet.

I walked from SJPP to Santiago in New balance running shoes. I wear men's extra wide 4E. I didn't buy them any bigger than I normally wear as I find I have to wear two pairs of thin sox in winter and one in summer to fit my expanding feet. I got blisters just like everyone else but developed one on the side of my left foot which only became an issue after I went swimming at Finisterre and it got infected. I developed this after walking 40 km in one day and I suspect my foot was pronating when descending down the rocky hills. I also wore foot liners with the individual toes plus thick merino wool sox. I didn't change my sox during the day. My feet ached at night so much so that by the end of the walk I was taking 4 Panadol a night. My question is do I need shoes with tougher soles for the Le puy camino or do I just go with what I have used before? I did not receive any other injuries apart from this. Thanks in advance,
Yes you do need tougher soles especially for the first 10 days. Meindl do some light hiking boots which are even good for people with bunions. A supportive insole to reduce probation might be good?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am a 3E in the toe box on my left foot and slightly wider on my right foot due to an old soccer injury with my big toe joint. I have found that a Merrill Moab provides the width I need and I discard the insole that comes with the shoe and replace it with a Super Feet insole (cut to fit) that provides additional support. Socks are really a personal preference. I personally like mid-weight wool socks and have enjoyed Smart Wool. I change them out two or three times a day so that I have dry socks. For me, dryness is more important than cleanliness.

Trail runners are great to wear on the Camino for those who can wear them. Since everyone is different, maybe you need a shoe with a stiffer sole and a wider toebox. Look at some of the models Keen and Oboz makes.
Socks and insoles the same thing. Everyone is different. No standard recipe. In the past I always just wore one layer of socks while walking the Camino. Thin ones. Worked great and minimal blisters. If I switch shoe and insole types I may need to change sock types.
Whichever type shoe/sock/insole combo you decide upon, you should definitely take them out on a minimal 10 km walk a few times to see how they work for you.

I've got very wide feet (EE) which spread with daily long-distance. After an interrupted Mozarabe last year due to foot injury I changed from hiking boots to Merrell Moab ventilators with Vibram soles which are good on rough tracks and in mountains. Having crossed the Sanabres in these (in rather poor, very wet weather) I was totally convinced of their utility after 225km in 7 days, blister and injury-free.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As @Waka mentioned, insoles can make a world of difference. I did SJPP to Finisterra wearing Merrell Moab Ventilators (non-waterproof) with Dr. Scholl's Active insoles and am currently wearing New Balance running shoes with SuperFeet Green insoles on the VDLP. Feet feel great! (Size 14 US 2E)

I think the biggest issue is that you did not change socks during the day. I recommend changing into dry socks every few hours. I would apply Vaseline to my feet in the morning and then reapply it when I changed socks. I would hang the socks I’d just changed out of off my backpack so that they’d dry. Safety pins worked great for hanging things off my pack.

The Le Puy trail is more off road than the Frances, with dirt pathways heading through farmer's fields, and more nature trails through hills. More people tend to wear some kind of hiking boot on that trail, for the ankle support, but I think you can still do it with whatever makes your feet happy. Arch support sounds essential for you to prevent the pronation. A new anti-pronation insole in your existing footwear might do the job.

And change your socks frequently to keep the feet dry.

Good luck.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My partner and I wore Saloman X Ultras, non gortex, when we did the Camino Frances and neither of us got blisters. We bought them a size larger as recommended and that worked well as over long distance our feet would swell. We also wore Drymax socks which had been recommended to me when I was preparing for the Oxfam 100 km Trailhiker and they worked well too as they wicked away any sweat.

Please don’t accept that blisters are normal. They are an indication that something is wrong. You could ask yourself:
* do my shoes feel tight?
* could I try a bigger size or different brand?
* do my socks slip about?
* do my feet get wet/sweaty?
* do I air them?
* do I stop as soon as I feel a hot spot?
* how do I deal with it?
* do I rest for a day or three if a blister gets bad?
Answers to these questions might give you some direction

My partner and I wore Saloman X Ultras, non gortex, when we did the Camino Frances and neither of us got blisters. We bought them a size larger as recommended and that worked well as over long distance our feet would swell. We also wore Drymax socks which had been recommended to me when I was preparing for the Oxfam 100 km Trailhiker and they worked well too as they wicked away any sweat.

I should have added that I have wide feet and the extra size up worked well both in accomodating the width of my foot and allowing for expansion after walking 20+ kms.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have super wide feet (6E). I used New Balance on one CF. But lately, I've found that other manufacturers are better. New Balance are like big boxes. On long days my feet get tired of hitting the sides of the boxes.

On my last Camino (CP), I wore Brooks Ghost 10 for the concrete/asphalt/cobblestones and Altra Timp (very wide toe box, cushier than the Lone Peaks) for the rougher terrain. Both of them have uppers constructed of very stretchy material. Instead of a box, sort of like a sock. So even though the Brooks are only 2E, the stretch made them more comfortable. Much better. Other manufacturers seem to be heading in that direction too (I've seen one at Adidas). But not New Balance, which seems to have fallen in love with its own retro designs. Note: some Altra designs have a bit of plastic in the pinky-toe region. I can't wear those designs because the plastic restricts the stretch, cramping my little toe. But not the Timp.

I've not walked the CF, but a large percentage of the long-distance backpackers in America are now wearing some form of Altra trail runners (with packs heavier than what you should be carrying). Unless you pack is ridiculously heavy (another thread), you do not need the ankle support of a boot (which I would consider only if I expected to be walking in deep mud).

Happy trails,
Jo Jo

It has been my experience that, at least in my size shoes, that a move to a larger size also means an increase in width. A D width old shoes was snug, in a larger size there was a distinct increase in comfort.

I recommend boots for the Via Podiensis due to rough terrain. I currently have Lowa boots which are available in narrow, medium and wide fittings.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have size 14 extra wide feet and I'm way overweight. I wear Vasque boots and I've never had a foot problem. In fact, I wear these almost every day off the Camino in my normal work.
I think the key is to condition your feet rather than your footwear. Ben Camino.

I agree with NorthenLight and TimGreig you will walk many miles up and down hills. Because of the erosion you will walk around 100 miles in what I call dry creeks before and after Aubrac. I weared Lowa Renagate wide size and they where perfect and used poles.
To avoid blisters 2 to 3 weeks before leaving apply Tano cream under your feet. This cream is done by the company Nok, your skin will become tiker and turn a bit brown. When walking the Camino you stop applying Tano cream but apply the Nok hydrate cream in the morning prior leaving . At lunch time change socks apply a little bit of cream. We use Merino socks that are made one for left and right feet. We walk the Portuguese mostly on paved road under 80 to 85 degrees never had a blister. For le Puy I hope your are training before leaving very demanding Camino but very nice.
Good luck

I have size 14 extra wide feet and I'm way overweight. I wear Vasque boots and I've never had a foot problem. In fact, I wear these almost every day off the Camino in my normal work.
I think the key is to condition your feet rather than your footwear. Ben Camino.
I used Vasque boots on the CF and VP and they were wonderful. No problems at all. But sadly they seemed to have disappeared from the UK

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Walking caminos and blisters. Why blisters. I have walked 23 caminos and 10000km and never got a blister, Marino wool socks and fitting shoes boots. Never a size bigger or your feet move. If you have to take a pain killer you are already in trouble. What works for you at home or on training treks ? Go for it. I train on mountains and io sea water. Toughens the feet

Walking caminos and blisters. Why blisters. I have walked 23 caminos and 10000km and never got a blister, Marino wool socks and fitting shoes boots. Never a size bigger or your feet move. If you have to take a pain killer you are already in trouble. What works for you at home or on training treks ? Go for it. I train on mountains and io sea water. Toughens the feet
Yeah training is important, we trained for a year before our walk up and down hills. We also broke in the shoes we would be wearing on the CF. After walking about 250-300 kms in them we put them away to save the soles and reverted to training in our running shoes.

I consider myself fortunate, 3 caminos, 2300 km and no blisters. I wear LaSportiva Wildcats, roomy, thick mid-soles, aggressive treads, and extremely breathable. My favorite socks to date are the Darn Tough Vertex 1/4 Ultra-Light Cushion Sock (merino). I use to wear the Smartwool Ph'd equivalent but I would always wear through the toe at about the 2 week mark, haven't worn through a pair of the Darn Tough yet.
Agreed on the Darn Tough socks. REI wools wore out, DT’s like new after 700 miles

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hoka One One runners come in wide. In USA, you can order direct from them with free shipping both ways. I ordered 6 pairs, returned 5. 700 miles and still comfortable!

I have bunions and finding comfortable shoes that I can walk in is a problem. I walked last year in skeletoe shoes (the ones that look like mittens for your feet.) There are advantages & disadvantages to these shoes. They aren't great when it's wet because you're feet get wet, too (I was lucky and the route was mostly dry for me) and you have to watch your foot placement -- you do feel stones & other pokey things. However, my feet were not in pain at the end of every day (which is typical for most shoes for me) and I didn't get blisters. I'd definitely try these out at home first!

Ditto on the earlier comment on Altra Lone Peak. I switched to Altra from Hoka to Altra, due to Altra's wider toe box. If you want more cushion than the Lone Peaks, go with their Olympus. It's like walking on air.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.