• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another shoes related question

sofronii

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi all!
I have a pair of high cut leather boots. Are these appropriate to walk the Camino in May, or am I going to end up having to send them home by post and buying something lighter?
So confused! Please help!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What are high cut leather boots? Can you post a photo of them?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I saw an older German couple wear the heaviest pairs of high cut leather boots in August...it depends on what you are most comfortable in...if you are former military or work in heavy boots everyday then you won't even notice.

Everyone does have their own preference. But from casual observation I have noticed (no proof of this whatsoever) that people who walk in boots seem to have more blisters and foot problems. I am trying to convince my wife to let me walk my fourth camino this September. I have just ordered another pair of Brooks Cascadia trail sneakers. They have served me very, very well. In about 3,100k of walking I have had 2 small blisters. But what is important is to find a pair of whatever you think is best to fit well. Walk a lot in them before you go. Nothing is more important than your shoes and backpack.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Several studies by the U.S. Army Research Institute have found that it takes up to 5.4 times as much energy to move at a given pace when weight is carried in the footwear as against the torso. One pound on your feet equals about five pounds on your back. To carry less weight, it is important to do careful consideration to footwear as well as what's inside the backpack.

Several studies by the U.S. Army Research Institute have found that it takes up to 5.4 times as much energy to move at a given pace when weight is carried in the footwear as against the torso. One pound on your feet equals about five pounds on your back. To carry less weight, it is important to do careful consideration to footwear as well as what's inside the backpack.
Wow, that's a really interesting fact! This info should help all the newbies in making shoe decisions.

Hi all!
I have a pair of high cut leather boots. Are these appropriate to walk the Camino in May, or am I going to end up having to send them home by post and buying something lighter?
I would strongly advise against wearing those heavy leather boots. Years ago as a much younger man I hiked 270 miles on Vermont's Long Trail, which is an up and down footpath tha can be quite rough in places. My boots were heavy leather logger boots that were "overkill" for my hike and I regretted their weight with every step I took. Lesson learned: lighter footwear means you are carrying less total pack weight and, particularly, you are not asking your feet, legs, and knees to lift and put down over and over again the weight of a heavy pair of boots. Go with lighter weight trail runners or shoes.
Hi all!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Last year from SJPP to Santiago four people in my group couldn't stand their leather boots anymore due to pain and blisters. They bought Teva or Keen sandals and mailed the leather boots home. One German woman developed severe problems with her heels which was diagnosed at the hospital as being due to her heavy leather boots and their high angle shaft. She spent a week in Leon recovering.

I wore low-cut, non-waterproof Merrell Moab Ventilator trail shoes and found them to be very comfortable and never had a problem. A joy to walk in.

That said, some people swear by heavy leather alpine hiking boots despite the fact that almost all of the terrain on the CF is asphalt, concrete or hard packed dirt. :)

I use my Keen high tops for my winter Camino they are waterproof for snow, rain and mud. Between may and October I use trail runners.

Hi all!
Go lighter. You will find all along the way that people have abandoned.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I suspect that in high cut leather boots you would soon find yourself "over booted". I think they would prove too heavy, too stiff and too hot. I would suggest something light and flexible, I too like a boot rather than a shoe as I am used to the extra stability and have settled on Merrill MOACs.
Ultreïa

My opinion and 1€ will get you a cafe con leche on the Camino but, here it goes:

Depending on your feet, you need sturdy but light trail walkers, some use walking shoes. Personally, the first 4 days from SJPP and the last days from Sarria to Santiago would rule walking shoes out for me. I wore Keen Targhee Trail walkers.

I’d lose the high, heavy boots for the Camino and save them for the Appalachian Trail. Now, go enjoy your cafe con leche.

Buen Camino.

"High cut leather" sounds like they would be heavy and definately overkill for a Camino. I have worn trail runners on three Caminos and they have served me well.
Where can I source trail runners from? Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all!
Walked from Mid April across Pyrenees. Places where deep snow was melting, the trail was a quagmire. People in shoes had wet feet, mine were bone dry. Another time I walked in March. Alto de Perdon was referred to that year as mudslide mountain. Once again my feet were dry. Same when I reached the Meseta where farm machinery had turned the trail into a swamp. Thank heavens I was not wearing shoes, they would have disappeared into the mud. But in answer to your question, I dont know as I dont know anything about your boots. I use light weight Scarpa

Last year from SJPP to Santiago four people in my group couldn't stand their leather boots anymore due to pain and blisters. They bought Teva or Keen sandals and mailed the leather boots home. One German woman developed severe problems with her heels which was diagnosed at the hospital as being due to her heavy leather boots and their high angle shaft. She spent a week in Leon recovering.

I wore low-cut, non-waterproof Merrell Moab Ventilator trail shoes and found them to be very comfortable and never had a problem. A joy to walk in.

That said, some people swear by heavy leather alpine hiking boots despite the fact that almost all of the terrain on the CF is asphalt, concrete or hard packed dirt. :)
Keen sandals are ideal! Reva not because they are open in the front. Yr toes should be protected and fewer stones will come inside .... So always choose Keen! Good to have in the albuerge, evenings and as a reserve on the trail.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.