• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another(short) Pilgrim Way

Time of past OR future Camino
CFx5
Norte
Primitivo
CP
Le Puy-SJPP
Via F
We recently completed the St. Peter's Way pilgrim path in Essex

It is roughly 45 miles long and winds its way from Chipping Ongar to Bradwell on sea where the lovely chapel of St. Peter - on- the - wall ........an ancient Saxon chapel built by St Cedd in 654AD

The route takes you through some of the most spectacular countryside in Essex.......following fields and woodlands, commons and hills and some beautiful little villages

The last section follows the coastal path to the church.

It is well marked ....there's even a yellow arrow to be seen now and then!!
There are shops, public houses and good transport links throughout

For further informational contact Essex county council on
Www.essex.gov.uk/prow or
Phone0044 08457 430 430

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,676
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 69
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

It is roughly 45 miles long and winds its way from Chipping Ongar to Bradwell on sea where the lovely chapel of St. Peter - on- the - wall ........an ancient Saxon chapel built by St Cedd in 654AD

The route takes you through some of the most spectacular countryside in Essex.......following fields and woodlands, commons and hills and some beautiful little villages

Www.essex.gov.uk/prow or
Phone0044 08457 430 430
That's wonderful. i had never heard of it - and so close! Is there a guide for accommodation? I couldn't find one.

That's wonderful. i had never heard of it - and so close! Is there a guide for accommodation? I couldn't find one.
Hello Harrington,
Unfortunately I don't have any information re accommodation on the St Peter's way...sorry

As we live on the edge of London, we've mostly used public transport for the earlier stages....later on taking the car......walking a section...then getting the bus back.....as day trips.

We actually started it in 2013 ...just recently walking the last section.
The path however is never far away from a large village or town such as Chelmsford or Marylandsea.
Perhaps if you google the various places you might find something

Although we used a little map that can be downloaded from
Www.essex walks....(clicking on Long Walks) we also used the OS maps no.176 and 183 which were invaluable
Apparently it was the Essex Ramblers association that marked this path so they might be able to help.
And I do believe that there's a crowd that walks the whole section in one go once a year!!!!
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Annette
PS......with an avatar like yours.....this surely has to be a "must" walk for you!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Www.essex.gov.uk/prow or
Phone0044 08457 430 430
Have you walked St Cuthberts Way? I would like to get feedback on it from anyone who has. My sister and I planned on it in 2016. Did Camino Portuguese in June this year instead.

Have you walked St Cuthberts Way? I would like to get feedback on it from anyone who has. My sister and I planned on it in 2016. Did Camino Portuguese in June this year instead.
Sorry,let's go camino
Haven't walked this one
Again,maybe the Ramblers association in that area may be able to help
Best wishes
Annette

LGC,
I walked the second half of the St Cuthbert's Way in 2014. The story was... the SCW crosses the finishing point of the Pennine Way at Kirk Yetholm. I was searching for a slightly more meaningful finishing point for the mighty Pennine Way than the pub in Kirk Yetholm, so headed east along the SCW to Holy Island. It was a lovely walk through the low heathered hills of the Cheviot National Park and via the market town of Wooler and open fields beyond... to St Cuthbert's cave (rather him than me!) and thence the first view of that special Northumberland coast.
I stayed in the independent hostel in Kirk Yetholm, which was nice and a bit like an albergue, the youth hostel in Wooler (famous for previously housing the land girls in WW2) and camped close to the causeway and shore the next evening waiting for tide to be right, to cross to Holy Island. Early next morning the tide was running out, so I took off shoes and socks and squelched along in the mud/sand, following the poles of the pilgrimage route - see photo
https://www.flickr.com/photos/peregrino_tom/15080988135/in/album-72157646666058057/lightbox/
It was all rather excellent. I subsequently recommended it to others who walked the full route and enjoyed it equally. Of course, good weather helps!
Cheers, tom

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We recently completed the St. Peter's Way pilgrim path in Essex. It is roughly 45 miles long.

@Annette london , thanks for the information. It seems like a three or four day event.

For those, like me, who dont have a car etc when in the UK, going off route to find accomodation makes it almost impossible to contemplate making this pilgrimage. Unless, of course, you carry a tent, food and the means of cooking / heating it.

Thanks for reporting it.

Hello Harrington,
Unfortunately I don't have any information re accommodation on the St Peter's way...sorry

As we live on the edge of London, we've mostly used public transport for the earlier stages....later on taking the car......walking a section...then getting the bus back.....as day trips.

We actually started it in 2013 ...just recently walking the last section.
The path however is never far away from a large village or town such as Chelmsford or Marylandsea.
Perhaps if you google the various places you might find something

Although we used a little map that can be downloaded from
Www.essex walks....(clicking on Long Walks) we also used the OS maps no.176 and 183 which were invaluable
Apparently it was the Essex Ramblers association that marked this path so they might be able to help.
And I do believe that there's a crowd that walks the whole section in one go once a year!!!!
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Annette
PS......with an avatar like yours.....this surely has to be a "must" walk for you!!
Thank you so much for that information. I live in (north) Suffolk, so it would come expensive to get home and back each evening. But then accommodation would be expensive, too.
Another question: were there a lot of sheep or cattle? ie could I bring my young dog without problems?
The badge was one my daughter embroidered for me when I did the Via Francigena Canterbury-Rome.

@Annette london , thanks for the information. It seems like a three or four day event.

For those, like me, who dont have a car etc when in the UK, going off route to find accomodation makes it almost impossible to contemplate making this pilgrimage. Unless, of course, you carry a tent, food and the means of cooking / heating it.

Thanks for reporting it.
Hi Alwyn
No need for a tent on this one!
If you google www.essex walks and click on Long walks ...and then on the St. Peter's way.....a small map will show up.
On this, you can see how near to everything eg villages, pubs and cafes it is
And a lot of the bigger towns can be reached by a short bus journey...or even a walk.
We even had to "hitch" or " thumb it" one evening when it got too dark to continue!! ...great fun in the back of an open truck!!
Most long distance walks here in the uk have good accommodation places...on the trails or within a very short distance .

So hope that you get to walk it some time
Best wishes
Annette

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you so much for that information. I live in (north) Suffolk, so it would come expensive to get home and back each evening. But then accommodation would be expensive, too.
Another question: were there a lot of sheep or cattle? ie could I bring my young dog without problems?
The badge was one my daughter embroidered for me when I did the Via Francigena Canterbury-Rome.
Hi Harrington,
No, I can't remember ever crossing fields with cattle or sheep.
This area mainly deals with crops such as wheat and other crops
We did see some deer once though!
I know we are lucky living not too far from this path as I know how expensive UK accommodation can be
Saying that....we did come across a multi faith place beside the St. Peter on the wall church that do hostal type accommodation but for the life of me I can't remember what they are called

I've just retrieved a leaflet giving me the name of the chaplain of St. Peter on the wall
Rev. Brigid Main.......telephone 01621-776438 ...she might be able to help re accommodation
If we can do anything to help you on your way, then please contact me
Best wishes
Annette

Hi Harrington,
No, I can't remember ever crossing fields with cattle or sheep.
This area mainly deals with crops such as wheat and other crops
We did see some deer once though!
I know we are lucky living not too far from this path as I know how expensive UK accommodation can be
Saying that....we did come across a multi faith place beside the St. Peter on the wall church that do hostal type accommodation but for the life of me I can't remember what they are called

I've just retrieved a leaflet giving me the name of the chaplain of St. Peter on the wall
Rev. Brigid Main.......telephone 01621-776438 ...she might be able to help re accommodation
If we can do anything to help you on your way, then please contact me
Best wishes
Annette
Annette, thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply so fully. I really appreciate it.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back