• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another Thread On Accommodations (Non Auberge)

dfunghi

Time of past OR future Camino
Future (2019) Portuguese.
I have read and re read this and tried to edit it in a way that made sense. Sorry for rambling....

As I am diligently training and planning my 2019 Camino I keep thinking I will likely want to plan ahead one day at a time and that means lodging.

I know the guide books, as well as some very thorough lists on here, leave little room for unknowns and that is great. What I do not seem to find are descriptions as to which places are more likely to have pilgrims / walkers and which are just simple Pensione? As well I found several of the links provided were to a FB page and they were either very outdated or simply abandoned. I am also a bit confused by the "distance" in column 2 on this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15YjQVotp9btlbTUx6YDMgFpHcm3__9msYMJ_nHKOe2E/edit#gid=0 if that means distance from prior stop or distance off of the camino?

I have yet to determine which book I will purchase and carry so there may be more descriptions of the type I seek than I am aware of. I think I will enjoy seeing others that are on the camino as well as stay in places that have an affinity to those of us that walk. I do not need (or even want) a daily communal meal or shared accommodation. I would like to stay "attached" to my journey at all times though.

I will likely end up in some casa rural and other non - hotel types of lodgings most nights and I just wondered if there are some that are more highly regarded (not only for quality of lodgings but also for quality of visit) than others?

I can post a simple list of possible towns but until I arrive I honestly can not be sure. I prefer to not have to taxi each end of the day to reach a predetermined destination as well I prefer not to stop if I have a good head of steam and hours of daylight left. Saying now where I will end up is likely going to be inaccurate. I believe once on the path I will have a pretty good idea of where the next day will end.

In Barcelos I plan to stay at a hotel I found as that will likely be a two night stay for me and in SdC I will likely stay in a hotel at journey's end. Other than that I am planning to be sure and arrive at Casa Fernanda. All else is open.

Day one will most likely be Villa De Conde (if I begin in Matosinhos) and day two I hope to get a bit past Rates as I cut over routes. Day four or five (depending on when I leave Barcelos) will be Ponte D' Lima (the town we visited in 2000 and while on a long walk my wife and I saw my first camino sign and made me aware of this, and made me want to do this, hopefully I finally will). After that I am a bit unsure how I will be holding up or if I will be gaining strength. I am allowing 15 days to go from Porto to Santiago but will try to do it in 12. I am not unwilling to grab a bus or taxi if it is getting dark or I am too tired to go on. My plan though is to walk every K.

My schedule is shaping up that I may very well end up at Fernanda on Good Friday and I plan to contact them to see if that is a problem. I hope to arrive Santiago one week later. My (potential, not ticketed yet) flight to Madrid is Sunday, the week after Easter.

TIA,
D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No matter how well you plan or what guide book you take, things change, places close new ones open, you get lost or diverted. Don't try and pre book everywhere it will mean you feel pressured to get to reservation and the concern for finding a bed for the night can turn your Camino into an accomdation race in which you miss some of the pleasures of the way.

Better to pick a route and time of year where you are more likely to find places open. By all means research and plan, it's one of the joys of the trip, just be prepared for your plans to change and to have to go with the flow at times.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Better to pick a route and time of year where you are more likely to find places open. By all means research and plan, it's one of the joys of the trip, just be prepared for your plans to change and to have to go with the flow at times.
Agreed, kind of why I only want to plan the following night's stay one day in advance. I figure weather, sore feet, extra energy and other variables can make too much advance reservations troublesome.

My only long range plans are Fernanda and the Barcelos market. Even those are open to revision should it be deemed so.

Still I would like to stay in places and be around people with a shared experience. Maybe not every minute of every day but surely at least half or more of the time.

Yes, the planning part is part of my "pilgrimage" as I had labeled it so when I took concrete steps to lose a serious amount of weight and train for long distance walking. I feel I am on a pilgrimage to health right now and that is my mantra in my head as I push my way along. Now up to a (brisk 60-75 minute) 4 mile walk daily (at least 5 days a week) that actually feels too short. Not long ago I took my first steps and went 2.8 miles and was ruined for two days afterwards with sore and cramped legs. 350 down to around 300 or less maybe. I tend to avoid scales and go by my (ever shrinking) clothes size. From a small handful of giant XXX shirts (many XXX were too tight) to all my old XX and those now fit loose. My pants look ridiculous on me I am happy to say......

But I digress.

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back