• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another treking poles question

• Thread starter Deleted member 36084
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 36084

Hi I'm flying from Stansted on Ryanair. I have bought some foldable treking poles that fit into my back pack will I have problems getting past security??

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are official policies and rules, and then there are the personal experiences of individuals. Ryanair should have their policy on trekking poles on their website regarding restricted items. Additionally, the UKs agency in charge of airline security will have their established rules.

Example:
When I fly from the US, I have always been able to carry them onboard strapped to my backpack. They are collapsed, have the rubber tips covering the metal tips, and are wrapped in plastic. No problem getting to Biarritz airport.

However, in Madrid for a flight, it wasn't allowed. I ended up having to mail them.

Hi I'm flying from Stansted on Ryanair. I have bought some foldable treking poles that fit into my back pack will I have problems getting past security??

Ryanair's booking conditions state hiking poles must be in checked luggage as does UK Gov't website. As Ryanair staff don't normally know what is in luggage the problem arises at the security scanner. If leaving Santiago on Ryanair you must check your poles as hold luggage.
That said make sure you are up to date with Ryanair's baggage policy which changed this year. Only small hand luggage is free to take in the cabin.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You have heard, "Buyer Beware?" This definitely applies to the existence of walking poles in the hands of a Customer / Passenger. My experience this year was quite different. I was actually in a position, medically, where the poles were absolutely necessary, especially with a wrenched wrist and a couple of dislocated fingers.

I got to Paris from Toronto on two Wow Air flights, No problem, never even asked about my poles. I used them right onto both planes and off again. On the way home, different story. I walked toward TSA in Santiago on May 16/18 and told, "NO PACKS." No packs??? So, I had a lot of time and waited for Aer Lingus to open their desk. They checked my pack weight and dimensions and gave me a boarding pass. My leg, that collapsed on me several days before began acting up and I requested assistance to the plane. We flew through TSA and I had no pack / pole issues from then on.

Here is more of the story in a recent post;

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/bucking-the-system.55669/

Hoping some of this is helpful.

Hi ScottTreker,
Short answer is no.
STANSTED AIRPORT security will not let your walking poles through.sorry
Best wishes
Annette

Just flew with RyanAir in April to Porto and back from Frankfurt. Both my daughter and I had the Z-fold type poles in our carry-on bags. No questions asked. We had paid the premium boarding price though which meant we were guarenteed space for our back packs, plus a 2nd small carry on that fit under the seat.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ok thanks for replies . Is it worth buying _adding 1xbag to my flight at£25 seems a waste adding 1xbag with 2 small foldable poles through

Just flew with RyanAir in April to Porto and back from Frankfurt. Both my daughter and I had the Z-fold type poles in our carry-on bags. No questions asked. We had paid the premium boarding price though which meant we were guarenteed space for our back packs, plus a 2nd small carry on that fit under the seat.
Hi jordean,
ScottTreker asked about the SECURITY at Stansted letting poles through and the security will NOT let them through......regardless of which airline he is flying with.
Some airport security will let the poles through....but not STANSTED I'm afraid.

Gatwick and Heathrow security will let them through as we recently found.
Also many European security staff have no problem with poles in backpacks.

For many years.......flying from stansted, we used to take the poles in our backpacks...then about 4 years ago, the airport was taken over by new management and all walking poles had to be put in the hold.
With best wishes
Annette

Ok thanks for replies . Is it worth buying _adding 1xbag to my flight at£25 seems a waste adding 1xbag with 2 small foldable poles through
Hi Scott Treker,
Yes it is expensive just to put a few walking poles in the hold.....also it might, now be more than £25 if not added at time of booking

It depends however on how expensive your poles are.
For us.....it depends on where we are going if that makes sense!
If we are going to Tenerife for instance....then we don't put them into the hold ....we buy them for about 5 euros each from the Chinese bazaar shops ....we don't use expensive poles as you might have guessed!!
If we're going to a more remote area where poles will be expensive, then we just cough up the £25 for the hold

Problem now is that we have about 10 sets of walking poles as we never have any problem with security taking them back in the backpacks!
Still...they will all get used ...I hope

In June, we are flying to Oviedo from Stansted for the Salvidor Camino and have put them into the hold...for convenience really as I would not have a clue as to where to buy them in Leon.

Also ....for anyone reading this....
I recently read in the forum that people leaving Santiago after their pilgrimage ....can put their walking poles into the hold of ANY airline for free.....a special offer for Santiago I believe.
Wish we'd known that a long time ago......the security staff at Santiago will never let poles through .....they have a stash of thousands of poles in the corner of the security department!!!
With best wishes
Annette

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Anecdotal reports of success at defeating the intended security rules sort of rile me. Allow me to briefly mount my soap box...this is a particularly sore subject for me, as one of my former career responsibilities was security in commercial aviation, both pre and post 9-11.

In fact, in late 2001 and into 2002, I worked in the multi-agency US government federal task force that first stood up what is now the TSA. That said, I apologize for some of the more contemporary manifestations this agency evolved into. I retired in 2006...

Instead of trying to flaunt your anecdotal success at avoiding security protocols, and inducing others to try bring stabbing weapons on board commercial aircraft, ought we not be espousing complying with the rules, regardless of how observant the security folks happen to be at that location on that day and time of day? As responsible pilgrims, should we not be setting an example for others?

With the more or less permanently attached tungsten steel tips, a hiking pole, even a collapsed one, is still a spear. It is a stabbing / puncturing weapon. Without the embedded steel pointy tip, it might be argued that it is a walking aid, like a cane. Personally, I always check my poles, even my very expensive Black Diamond Carbon Fiber Z poles.

Even though when folded they measure only 16" overall, I still pack them in my rucksack, place the rucksack in a bright-colored laundry back and check it. In six Camino trips from the US to Europe (Paris and Madrid), this has NEVER failed.

Having a gamey knee, I usually travel with a folding travel cane. Once at my starting point, the cane is mailed down the road to Santiago. My hiking / walking sticks suffice for the Camino. So, both personally, and professionally, I know all the rules. I also consulted professionally with the BAA when they organized their aviation security program.

Please try to set an example and check your poles. Your Camino costs some much already. The added cost of checking one items is incidental and minor in the overall scheme.

I am not concerned that YOU will do something bad with your poles. However, I am concerned that some other person on board may see your poles and use them as an expedient weapon. I am not referring simply to terrorists. More often folks have too much to drink or may be emotionally at risk, lacking needed self-control.

Pretty please???

Anecdotal reports of success at defeating the intended security rules sort of rile me. [...] Pretty please???
Then you will understand how much it riles us who don't live in a region under TSA jurisdiction and who don't fly from US airports to be castigated for supposedly "trying to flaunt our anecdotal success at avoiding security protocols". Please read the standard message on this topic that the forum moderators have posted numerous times. Thank you.

@scottTreker and others, Ryanair was in the news a few weeks ago because they've cut the check-in window from previously 4 days to now 48 hours unless you paid for reserve seats. Pay attention in particular for return flights. Otherwise you will part with an additional 55 €. The new rule is in place from 13 June 2018.

Last edited:
Resistance is futile...I understand. You are welcome to do things in whatever way you deem appropriate.

I shall continue to take the more conservative and cautious route. Also, I fly regular airlines and eschew bargain carriers. So, at least one checked bag is typically included.

I wish you well in your travels.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Scott possible problem if you want to take them on board with you .But no problem as checked in. I have just been from New Zealand done my second Camino and no problem as checked in luggage. Good luck God bless.

Hi Scott possible problem if you want to take them on board with you .But no problem as checked in. I have just been from New Zealand done my second Camino and no problem as checked in luggage. Good luck God bless.
Forgot to say I am sure I saw a grumpy pilgrim in Santiago airport with poles in their hands and muttering well they could have told me that to start with. And this may relate to your question

I recently read in the forum that people leaving Santiago after their pilgrimage ....can put their walking poles into the hold of ANY airline for free.....a special offer for Santiago I believe.
Yes, that is correct. Free on all airlines, all tickets, even the cheapest Ryanair ticket. People on the forum have confirmed it, based on their own experience, and we even got it in written form from Ryanair's ground handler in Santiago airport. Not available for flights to Santiago or at any other Spanish airport. Exclusively on flights departing from Santiago.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for replies I phoned Stansted airport the chap I spoke too at security said it wasn't problem if in my backpack but also mentioned please check with airline so I did with Ryanair I can take them with me but would have to go separate as sport items.

Depends on your luck.

Deplaning at Santiago two weeks ago and there were two British ladies with small(ish - 30litre) packs. One of them had her hiking poles sticking a good 12 inches out of the top of her pack.

As we shuffled through the airport I asked her if there had been any fuss about getting the poles through security and she said nobody had said a word (I had to take off a silver torc bracelet to get through).

The really odd thing? They had both put luggage in the hold!

Let's close this now that everyone has gotten a chance to get back on their hiking poles soapbox (and that includes me!).

Here is the post referred to in Kathar1na's recent comment. Please note that this is GENERAL commentary, and that country variations are important to check out. For instance, I continue to carry on my poles through US TSA (as recently as May 17, 2018) and through Madrid security on April 12, 2018. I think Madrid's policy is in fllux now, because I know several people who have been stopped with poles, while others like me, have continued to carry them on. This means that a backup plan for checking is essential, just in case your poles are denied. Or, you can check them, of course, running the risk that they will get lost as mine were years ago, which is what prompted my carry-on policy in the first place.

NOTE FROM MODS:

Several months back, when some of the posts were getting very belligerent on the topic of whether you can carry your hiking poles onto the plane, several members put their heads together to come up with a non-judgmental (yes, believe it or not, some people do get judgmental on this topic) summary of what can be said factually about the topic. People continue to want to do it, either because of short connections, the hassles created if they go missing (that was the trigger for me), etc.

Thanks to those clear thinkers:

1. Written or posted guidance provided by airlines and security agencies often specifies "No hiking poles," without clarification of type or size. However, in many countries, the actual legally binding documents do not say hiking poles are prohibited. If asked, the airlines generally say "No hiking poles."

2. In practice you will likely not be permitted to carry full-size uncollapsed hiking poles into the cabin.

3.Many people who carry folded-up poles are allowed to carry them on (see the last point for the one clear exception).

4.Walking aids are permitted if the passenger needs them for mobility.

5.The security agents at all airports have authority to prohibit anything they decide is a potential hazard. It is not a good idea to argue with them. The security staff are not connected with the airlines.

6. If you want to carry your poles into the cabin, no matter what type, go prepared with time and an alternative packing plan in case you are not permitted to take them.

7. Finally, poles are never allowed through security at Santiago airport, when you are leaving, so you must have them as checked luggage. According to a direct communication from the Santiago airport in early 2018, all airlines will allow passengers leaving Santiago to check their poles for free.

Since these are generalizations, there will be lots of different individual experiences, but this list should help you decide what the risks are and how to go to the airport prepared with a plan B.

Thanks everyone a civil discussioin of what is sometimes a contentious topic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.