• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another Video - Using the Toilet on the Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, well. If anyone asks me if I picked up my toilet paper they would be indeed fortunate if I didn't remove it from the plastic bag and hand it to them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
TMI, I understand your intent but OMG why is this neccesary.

Probably TMI ;), but just want to add, those packets of pocket tissues are great, as they are handy to use as wipes after a pee in the bush, and bagged, but they should never be flushed down a loo, as they don’t disintegrate as quickly as proper loo paper does, and so they can easily block the system, especially septic tanks. Otherwise, yes, I agree, it is women who make all that mess.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Or you could just smile and say, "Why YES! I DID!" :)
I could, but I won't. Because I would find it offensive that anyone presumed to educate me in basic hygiene and manners. I am astounded that you feel your compatriots are so lacking in both that they needed your instruction.
Maybe some of them have never traveled, and obviously you feel there is a need. So be it.

However, waylaying a person who has gone aside for a personal requirement and assuming they have left traces behind is not education, it is presumption.

I could, but I won't. Because I would find it offensive that anyone presumed to educate me in basic hygiene and manners. I am astounded that you feel your compatriots are so lacking in both that they needed your instruction.
Maybe some of them have never traveled, and obviously you feel there is a need. So be it.

However, waylaying a person who has gone aside for a personal requirement and assuming they have left traces behind is not education, it is presumption.
Ok Barbara :)
I won't ask you. lol!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The way to really spread information like this would be to print it on the credentials. An informative video that covers everything, but not that many pilgrims will see it.
Yes, or given out in SJPP with the other paperwork they hand out... as well as a handout on what to do if you get bedbugs would be good.

Yes, or given out in SJPP with the other paperwork they hand out... as well as a handout on what to do if you get bedbugs would be good.
Please, not on the credential, two sides of A4 should be enough. Or print it on something absorbent and hand it out in a little plastic bag! 😁

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Maybe you should change the title of your thread, because using a toilet sounds like squatting on something ceramic versus squatting in the bush.

Please, not on the credential, two sides of A4 should be enough. Or print it on something absorbent and hand it out in a little plastic bag! 😁
I appreciate your objection, but if you really want to make a difference, I think you would have better results putting it on the credential somewhere. Handouts? You glance at them and through them away. And not everybody starts in SJPP.
Better than nothing, though, I agree. Some would see it.

But of course my opinion is irrelevant.
If I really had a say I would also add a lodging tax locally to camino albergues and hotels that would fund toileting infrastructure. Of course, this would take years.
Just a thought exercise, I suppose.

Anyway @Anniesantiago , I personally will take the information to heart, several of your points hadn't occurred to me.

I appreciate your objection, but if you really want to make a difference, I think you would have better results putting it on the credential somewhere. Handouts? You glance at them and through them away. And not everybody starts in SJPP.
Better than nothing, though, I agree. Some would see it.

But of course my opinion is irrelevant.
If I really had a say I would also add a lodging tax locally to camino albergues and hotels that would fund toileting infrastructure. Of course, this would take years.
Just a thought exercise, I suppose.

Anyway @Anniesantiago , I personally will take the information to heart, several of your points hadn't occurred to me.
A credential is not a ticket for cheap accommodation. It is, or should be, an attestation that you are a Pilgrim. Instructions on how and where to shit have no place on it.
As for toilet infrastructure, it is already there, and adults should not need telling about planning their visits. There is no harm in a quick pee behind a bush, anything else can usually wait. If it can't, then dig a hole well away from the path.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A credential is not a ticket for cheap accommodation. It is, or should be, an attestation that you are a Pilgrim. Instructions on how and where to shit have no place on it.
As for toilet infrastructure, it is already there, and adults should not need telling about planning their visits. There is no harm in a quick pee behind a bush, anything else can usually wait. If it can't, then dig a hole well away from the path.
I think the main point of anniesantiago’s video was that people were leaving toilet paper behind near the trail . That’s what you would ask people not to do. No discussion of “shit,“ is necessary. Cheap accommodation? What does that have to do with anything?

I think the video was way too complicated, and about 30 seconds would suffice to pass along the important information. I actually had trouble finishing it, and sorry, I didn’t like it and it came off too didactic. You’re right that everybody understands these kinds of things anyway. But I think a brief ”trail etiquette”reminder to clean up toilet paper and pack it to a trash receptacle would be valuable for those who hadn’t thought of it.

But I’m pretty sure you don’t have to worry about it. Your opinion will prevail.

I don’t think there’s a central Camino planning committee that’s considering these issues😂.
I think what will happen is nothing will happen, not even your suggestion for handing out of extra information flyers. And the toilet paper will continue.

Last edited:
I walked in autumn 2017, after the undergrowth along the Camino had fallen back or disappeared. Using the privilege of being male, I often stepped into a relatively private spot to micturate, and every one of those spots was littered with tissues.

In fact, the whole path was cluttered with litter, which I attribute to a summer season’s worth of casual tossing away that was only revealed when the grass and weeds died back in the fall. Same thing happens where I walk in the US - beautiful, previously verdant walks reveal a summer’s worth of litter in the fall.

Back to the topic, it was clear to me that many women had also availed themselves of the relative privacy of these spots to pee, and left behind their tissue. Every spot. Of course it could be that only one person did so every three or four days (and think of the tiny percentage that would be of everyone who walked by), but their leave-behinds really accumulated in the thicket over the summer.

As a woman, I find it very embarrassing, that other women would and continue to leave their toilet paper behind. What is so bad about pulling down your underwear/panties taking a pee and pulling up the underwear/panties and be on your merry way. At the end of the day wash out the underwear/panties for a new fresh day tomorrow. Easier said than done by many — I guess.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks @Anniesantiago for this frank discussion. It would be good at a Camino chapter gathering. It is similar to discussions for hiking in remote ares of the US. I don't think it is all English speakers creating the offense, but possibly people for whom the Camino is a first time or activity outside their established routine.

I know I don't drink as much water as I should on the Camino or when hiking because I don't like to run off to the bushes, but that is a different lesson.

I think the main point of anniesantiago’s video was that people were leaving toilet paper behind near the trail . That’s what you would ask people not to do. No discussion of “shit,“ is necessary. Cheap accommodation? What does that have to do with anything?

I think the video was way too complicated, and about 30 seconds would suffice to pass along the important information. I actually had trouble finishing it, and sorry, I didn’t like it and it came off too didactic. You’re right that everybody understands these kinds of things anyway. But I think a brief ”trail etiquette”reminder to clean up toilet paper and pack it to a trash receptacle would be valuable for those who hadn’t thought of it.

But I’m pretty sure you don’t have to worry about it. Your opinion will prevail.

I don’t think there’s a central Camino planning committee that’s considering these issues😂.
I think what will happen is nothing will happen, not even your suggestion for handing out of extra information flyers. And the toilet paper will continue.
Stephan, I think a reminder about the purpose of the credential was needed. It is not the place for education on cleanliness or toilet etiquette, and should not be considered as an accommodation discount card .
For the rest, I agree, should I need to state it, that NOBODY, make or female, should be leaving anything on any walking path.
As for the use of the word 'shit' feel free to substitute defecation, poop, lay a turd, or any other phrase or word you prefer. It's a natural function that we all do. No need to be prim.

I think that we do have to worry about it. Sometimes it is hard to find a place to sit adjacent to the path as it looks as if it has recently snowed. It is clearly a problem. I believe that many people here will take offence as they "know" what they are supposed to do. As well many people walking and defiling the pathway, and I have seen paper and even bowel movements right on the trail, will not have access to this site. Hence there should be a more available instruction to not crap or leave paper next to where others frequent. Why is this even necessary??

Home owners should not have to place signs on their lawn asking people not to defecate there.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Annie - BRAVA! That was concise, timely and critical. Every current and wannabe pilgrim should watch this. Actually, it should almost be required viewing.

While some of us have these toileting skills through experience or prior instruction, most pilgrims do not have a clue. Your video will help everyone immensely.

Another way to drive the point home is to spend a week on a section of a Camino route picking up other people's trash. I did that in 2016 with a Rebekah Scott coordinated "Ditch Pig" crew. That experience was epic! Thank you very much.

For those who are really seriously into cleaning up the Camino as they walk theirs, you can obtain a squeeze handle, claw, picker upper for less than USD 25.00. I periodically supply friends in Spain with a folding version of this handy tool that fits nicely into the side pocket of a rucksack and weighs less than one pound. FYI - this is the one I most like and bought most recently. It is available in several lengths. The longer you can handle, the less you need to bend and stoop.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
Another video I did for my Anniewalkers group on where/how to use the toilet on the Camino.
Some may say "too much information."
I think it's essential information!
Using the Toilet on the Camino
A huge "Thank you" for this video. Did not know about the toilet paper taking so long. Although this is a subject not much talked about, it is much needed and extremely helpful information.

Annie - BRAVA! That was concise, timely and critical. Every current and wannabe pilgrim should watch this. Actually, it should almost be required viewing.

While some of us have these toileting skills through experience or prior instruction, most pilgrims do not have a clue. Your video will help everyone immensely.

Another way to drive the point home is to spend a week on a section of a Camino route picking up other people's trash. I did that in 2016 with a Rebekah Scott coordinated "Ditch Pig" crew. That experience was epic! Thank you very much.

For those who are really seriously into cleaning up the Camino, as they walk theirs, you can obtain a squeeze handle, claw, picker upper for less than USD 25.00. I periodically supply friends in Spain with a folding version of this handy tool that fits nicely into the side pocket of a rucksack and weighs less than one pound. FYI - this is the one I most like and bought most recently. It is available in several lengths. The longer you can handle, the less you need to bend and stoop.

Hope this helps.

Tom
I've often spent time picking up trash. I didn't have a claw, however. This is helpful. Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As a woman, I find it very embarrassing, that other women would and continue to leave their toilet paper behind. What is so bad about pulling down your underwear/panties taking a pee and pulling up the underwear/panties and be on your merry way. At the end of the day wash out the underwear/panties for a new fresh day tomorrow. Easier said than done by many — I guess.
Yes! Why do women feel the need for toilet paper? It’s just habit. I peed behind many a tree on my 500 mile journey, never used paper and never missed it.

Yes, well. If anyone asks me if I picked up my toilet paper they would be indeed fortunate if I didn't remove it from the plastic bag and hand it to them.
Why not use something biodegradable like newspaper or leafs? I personally collect the last ends of my toilet paper roll, cardboard roll removed, carry a few compostable baggies. This does not addd much weight to my pack. On the walk, so easy to do the right thing. Used paper in compostable bag can then deposited in the appropriate container.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why not use something biodegradable like newspaper or leafs? I personally collect the last ends of my toilet paper roll, cardboard roll removed, carry a few compostable baggies. This does not addd much weight to my pack. On the walk, so easy to do the right thing. Used paper in compostable bag can then deposited in the appropriate container.
Good idea about the compostable bag. The problem with leaves is firstly they aren't absorbent, and secondly it is actually quite hard to find large leaves in a wood. The large leaf plants grow in more open areas. Personally I don't use paper if I'm only having a wee, so a couple of baggies and a little paper is all I would need to carry. When I'm planning on camping I have a little folding trowel.

Pantie liners, ladies! Any wetness post- pee will be absorbed, then dispose of the liner later. Do we really need to wee in the.countryside, though? There are so many places to stop along the way - for coffee, lunch, whatever. A quick visit to the toilet then? Am I the odd one out that I walked the CF without having to drop my pants between stops?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not everyone walks the CF with it's more frequent stops.... even so, who wants to hold onto a full bladder & spoil the enjoyment f the walk?
On Other caminos, sometimes villages are just too far apart... you walk all day just to reach the next village & need to keep hydration levels up!
A discreet place off the path can be hard to find.....but when found, often is unsightly & has been over-used by many others for that very same reason. 😳
End result is exactly why Annie posted this.😎

Not everyone walks the CF with it's more frequent stops.... even so, who wants to hold onto a full bladder & spoil the enjoyment f the walk?
On Other caminos, sometimes villages are just too far apart... you walk all day just to reach the next village & need to keep hydration levels up!
A discreet place off the path can be hard to find.....but when found, often is unsightly & has been over-used by many others for that very same reason. 😳
End result is exactly why Annie posted this.😎
For sure! I think I’ll be singing a different song on the via de la plata next year 😀

SInce this is a personal issue ..I agree with you , Lynn and never use toilet tissue when on a trail. (Soft) vegetation does the job quite well and another option is to wear a sanitary towel which you can throw away/change when you get to the appropriate facilities.
As a woman, I find it very embarrassing, that other women would and continue to leave their toilet paper behind. What is so bad about pulling down your underwear/panties taking a pee and pulling up the underwear/panties and be on your merry way. At the end of the day wash out the underwear/panties for a new fresh day tomorrow. Easier said than done by many

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Excellent video, Annie! Well spoken and to the point. Certainly think that this kind of information should be included in guide books and other sources where people gain info on the caminos. Can't believe this needs to be spelled out - as much as all this is common sense - sense is not common, as the saying goes. Specially judging by the amount of litter left around!
The idea someone had for the camino office at major starting points to hand out a plastic bag with an info leaflet is great. Reminders/posters in accommodation ablution areas may help as well😊

Another video I did for my Anniewalkers group on where/how to use the toilet on the Camino.
Some may say "too much information."
I think it's essential information!
Using the Toilet on the Camino
Thanks for the video on toileting on the Camino. We walked the Camino Frances in the fall of 2017 and we’re shocked to see the piles of human feces and toilet paper along (and sometimes on) the trail. We’d sometimes walk up to a lovely spot to sit and rest, have a snack and enjoy the view to find what was basically a toilet behind the rocks or trees. Hopefully people will watch your video and think twice about using the Spanish countryside as their personal toilets.

Pantie liners, ladies! Any wetness post- pee will be absorbed, then dispose of the liner later. Do we really need to wee in the.countryside, though? There are so many places to stop along the way - for coffee, lunch, whatever. A quick visit to the toilet then? Am I the odd one out that I walked the CF without having to drop my pants between stops?
Yes yes yes. I am on the Camino and I use panti liners so I pee, pull up panties & pants and be on my way. I have done this in all my hiking over the years.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back