Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

another view of Camino Portugues - from Porto - in May

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
When you walk the Camino, and suddenly a pandemic appears

ann o neill

great photos of Camino Portugues, can i ask, it looks like you did the coasta route from Porto to Valenca? if so could you tell me how easy or difficult it was - is it sign posted ? and what of accommodation.

Ann

mmonomm

Hi Ann,
yes you are right. i walked along the coast, too. my main problem was that i wanted to skip the industrial area of Porto, as you walk out of the city. i took a metro. but from there on, who spoke english, nobody knew about the camino. so i ended up taking a walk along the highway, because everybody knew santiago is that direction, to the north. then again i took a bus, cause nothing was interesting on the highway, and arrived finally arrived to Viana do Castelo. that is already on the shore of the ocean. there it was too late, around ten in the evening to find the albergue, so i took a room, for 20 euros,a single one. from there on, i followed the camino. everything is signposted very well. people were stopping me, encouraging me, just asking if i am a pilgrim.... so everything went on very well. the route is ok, you walk in forests, some hills, but they are not hard, and along the shore. on e portuguese man told me it is the easiest way of all :) one thing i did not know: the firemen welcome you without paying!!!!!! every pilgrim can stay at the BOMBEIROS :) in Portugal so don't panic if you do not find an albergue. it is a tradition for the firemen to house pilgrims!!! but only in Portugal :) after that in Spain there are plenty of albergues, very beautiful ones!!!!!

ann o neill

Hi Monica, Thanks for your reply, can i ask if you would get away with walking shoes on the coastal route or would you need boots! sounds like more sandal and shoes area?
Route from viana do castelo to valenca sounds ok and very do able would you recommend it? the beginning sounds hard to follow so we may do that part in land and then back out to the coast at viana

Ann

mmonomm

hi,
you do not need boots for the route. i took a Merrel walking shoe, designed for summer. in the front it has some little holes, it is very breathable, but also rain goes in in the front part. so my problem was the rain, every day. so, i would say if you take a shoe, without little holes .... sorry i do not know what's the right word. you need to be waterproof, and maybe a sandal for sunny days.... but i walked only with the walking shoe... it was enough, with 2 pairs of wool socks, for change when one got wet.
i would recommend this route, definitely!!!!! it is very beautiful. i would say from all stages this one is the best!!!!!! my opinion: but i am a sea-addict :)
i just read some other posts, some of them say you should take the metro from Porto just to Forum Maia, and then you do not get lost.... but there are trains,or buses, which stop almost at every little town, so it is easy to get to Viana do Castelo.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads