• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anterior compartment syndrome

Issy T

Time of past OR future Camino
I will be leaving Australia on the 26th May for Barcelona and will start the walk from Roncesvalles on the29th may.
I am leaving in 7 day but have been having issues with my leg, just below the knee. Today my Osteo told me he is pretty sure it is compartment syndrome. When I rest it is fine but each time I go for a long walk it starts to play up. I am having treatment, compression stockings, ice and rest and hope that it improves. I am planning to take the first days easy. Has anyone else had is syndrome and how did you manage it on the Camino?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Don't have any experience with that...but my prayers are that it will be resolved by next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum
Thanks Kris

Treating it with lots of TLC. Ice, rest and compressions will see my Osteo on Monday before. I leave for a final treatment. Part of the reason for my slow start as I ease myself into the walk.
You must be leaving very soon.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am leaving in 7 day but have been having issues with my leg, just below the knee. Today my Osteo told me he is pretty sure it is compartment syndrome. When I rest it is fine but each time I go for a long walk it starts to play up. I am having treatment, compression stockings, ice and rest and hope that it improves. I am planning to take the first days easy. Has anyone else had is syndrome and how did you manage it on the Camino?
Here's a link to an AAOS page on Chronic Compartment Syndrome, also known as Exertional Compartment Syndrome: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00204. A recent study (Van der Wal, W. A., et al. "The natural course of chronic exertional compartment syndrome of the lower leg." Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy (2014): 1-6.) indicates that you are likely to continue to have symptoms even with rest, ice and compression. In short, talk to your doctor about more pernicious symptoms like highly localized pain, redness and swelling. Symptoms like those would be a greater cause for concern and a significant indication that rest on your Camino would be required.

You should be able to find massages all along the Camino -- ask around as you go! Good Luck!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is nothing to take lightly and I know you would be so disappointed to delay your Camino, but make sure it isn't caused by blood clot or a break or crack in a bone or ligament. If not treated and healed it can cause permanent damage. Kindest regards and blessings. Good luck my friend.

It is nothing to take lightly and I know you would be so disappointed to delay your Camino, but make sure it isn't caused by blood clot or a break or crack in a bone or ligament. If not treated and healed it can cause permanent damage. Kindest regards and blessings. Good luck my friend.
Very generous advice. Are you an orthopedic surgeon?

Very generous advice. Are you an orthopedic surgeon?
Oh, heavens NO! I'm sorry if I made it sound presumptuous but I was a PE major and a sports person all my life. While cheering in college I had a girl friend who had one of these in her thigh from a stressed or broken ham string. It was almost deadly. It can become infected, blood clots can form. It all depends on what has caused it. It can be caused by injury or even steroid use. Just make sure you get a second opinion. The Camino is wonderful, but it is not the place to find yourself with a medical condition, which becomes acute. Physically it can put a lot of stress on a joint, muscle or bone.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.