• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anthony Bourdain, Mental Health, and the Camino de Santiago

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Does anyone know who wrote this article?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow. This is me. Albeit my PTSD has come from other sources.

However there is a difference, my Camino is already my therapy, and the thoughts of being in the Camino is what currently stops me from that same desire to die and free my loved ones of the burden of my mental health failings.

Thank you for posting this link. Another reason why you, my Camino family keep me going every day, and remind me everyday of when I first put my foot on the Camino itself.

Buen Camino all

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

However there is a difference, my Camino is already my therapy, and the thoughts of being in the Camino is what currently stops me from that same desire to die and free my loved ones of the burden of my mental health failings.

Thank you for posting this link. Another reason why you, my Camino family keep me going every day, and remind me everyday of when I first put my foot on the Camino itself.

Buen Camino all
You already know one foot one step at a time as you Camino through life. You may think your life makes life hard for your family and friends. Remember, without you their lives will be much, much harder. Just keep walking and get back to the Camino as much as you can.
Buen Camino our Camino brother.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Anthony Bourdain and “No Reservations” brought my daughters and me closer. We had so much fun watching and learning. No one that I know of could so effortlessly merge food, culture, humanity and respect and made almost every moment of that show a teaching moment. My kids learned the love of travel from their mom and me. By the time both were 20 my oldest had been on every continent except Antártica and my youngest on every continent but South America and Antártica. They have both traveled around the world for a year each by themselves. Later when we would watch reruns of No Reservations they would point out dishes that Tony Bourdain was eating and tell me about and show me photos of when they ate it and the people they met at restaurants,
In homes and on the street eating street food. Mr. Bourdain you will be sorely missed by even your fans because as opposed to the ridiculous celebrity admiration and status society gives to the most unworthy, you in your loud, smiling and joyful aggressive self quietly stood out as a GIANT to be loved admired and now sadly,
MIssed!

It’s a dark place, with no light often, flashbacks everyday, and illogical and irrational reactions to seemingly mundane things. My fear controls me. I’ve not come across a forum or platform yet that I feel so comfortable to talk about.....until this forum, thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Perfect. Just perfect. Thank you. I think he author summed it up perfectly with this quote “His writing and television work showed me that there is delight and deep understanding of life to be found in the most simple of things: eating, talking and exploration”.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you. I really needed to read this today. I'm not one easily affected by "celebrity deaths" but his really shook me. I really doubt I'd ever done many of the things I have without endlessly watching his show. I'm doing my first camino in September. I wanted to go since I was 20, 12 years ago, and learned about it in art history. I am horribly unfit, I drink too much, and at this point, in between jobs, I finally have the time to actually go. I'll reread this the next time I freak out about what the hell I'm doing leaving my entire life behind for am month!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Buen Camino all

johnlewis47, As a fellow sufferer of PTSD from my 20 odd years; and I do mean odd, as a police officer, I want to reach out to you. Not with guidance but with the knowledge that you are not alone. No one can address directly your thoughts and fears as they are unique to each of us. I have never contemplated ending it all, but have lost two very good friends recently to suicide.

The pain exists in all of us, as does the irrational feeling that we are causing unneeded suffering to those around us. Please bear in mind their suffering should they lose you. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes as I think of you and your thoughts. When days become darkest, I recite my children's names.
Please find some mantra or golden spot in your life to hold onto and let it be what you are for those moments.

I will return to walk from Leon to Santiago and perhaps beyond this November. My wife does not have any desire to walk but says that I have been a much more grounded person when I returned from the previous three trips to Spain. I pray that you find those moments, on the Camino or in daily life, that allow you to face your demons and recognize what an integral part you are in the world around you. I am reaching out a hand to you my friend. Be well...Jim

I thought the article was raw, and honest. Glad to know that the author has found meaning enough to live. Suicide is on the increase and we should all be mindful of the signs that someone, yes, even a fellow pilgrim maybe contemplating it.

Here is a couple of aides to review the warning signs but there are many articles available out there.

http://www.apa.org/topics/suicide/signs.aspx

https://www.wfmynews2.com/video/news/local/how-to-spot-the-warning-signs-of-suicide/83-8160822

QUESTION

I am wondering about resources that are available in spain for someone who may be in imminent danger of hurting themselves while on the Camino. Do you have suggestions for intervention along the Camino?

While I too liked Anthony Bourdain’s show, as a psychologist, I often found the amount of what appeared to me, binge drinking...even with the meals, a concern and a possible warning sign that all was not well! CNN was aware of his past history of drug abuse and depression and like any employer should have done more IMO!

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
johnlewis47, As a fellow sufferer of PTSD from my 20 odd years; and I do mean odd, as a police officer, I want to reach out to you. Not with guidance but with the knowledge that you are not alone. No one can address directly your thoughts and fears as they are unique to each of us. I have never contemplated ending it all, but have lost two very good friends recently to suicide.

The pain exists in all of us, as does the irrational feeling that we are causing unneeded suffering to those around us. Please bear in mind their suffering should they lose you. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes as I think of you and your thoughts. When days become darkest, I recite my children's names.
Please find some mantra or golden spot in your life to hold onto and let it be what you are for those moments.

I will return to walk from Leon to Santiago and perhaps beyond this November. My wife does not have any desire to walk but says that I have been a much more grounded person when I returned from the previous three trips to Spain. I pray that you find those moments, on the Camino or in daily life, that allow you to face your demons and recognize what an integral part you are in the world around you. I am reaching out a hand to you my friend. Be well...Jim

Hi Jim

Thank you so much for this message,
Like so many people here I feel the support from everyone and that light you talk about, that I might find on the Camino, I think I already see it and I take your hand gratefully along with others who have reached out.

I was touched by your message and feel the impact my story has on you as others have on me.

Thank you

John

Positive messages in an interesting article. Vale Anthony.
Spare a thought for those who overcome difficulties without the therapy of a Camino when a fortunate minority travel to Spain.
I commend support for very good mental health services in all your homelands.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I thought this short piece might be of interest to some in the group, a thoughtful article:

https://boingboing.net/2018/06/08/i-owe-anthony-bourdain-so-much.html
Small story:

In 2017 I took the bus from Pamplona to Puenta La Reina. The balls of my left foot were all torn up, and I felt I needed a professional opinion. The nurse at the clinic cleaned and bandaged my foot. Gave instructions on how to continue dressing the 'tissue trauma', and instructed me not to 'caminar' for "tres dias'. "Si", I replied.

That night at dinner at the Hotel Biden I noticed on the menu they had two lamb dishes. My Spanish is mucho elementary so I decided on the 1st selection. Now there were two waitstaff on the floor and both spoke some English. One better than the other. My waitress was the more 'English challenged', but she was very courteous and with a big smile said "Si, senor" and headed for the kitchen. About fifteen minutes later the other waitresses appeared with my dinner. As she approached I noticed a touch of consternation in the form of a furrowed brow. Arriving at the table she paused then asked me if I knew what this was(?), pointing at my supper, I replied that it was my belief a/my lamb dinner. Another pause. Did I know that it was the lambs intestine?
I did not.
She graciously said that I need not accept the plate and that they would give me the other selection.

It was then that I thought of Anthony Bourdain and the hours of accompanying him in on his journeys and wanting to try all those exotic meals and delights (even the rabbit brains) and the realization that I now had that opportunity." No, senorita, comero." And for a brief moment I had that wonderful experience of stepping up and stepping out of my comfort zone A culinary Camino..
The intestines were bland and uninteresting, in and of themselves, but a spicy sauce was supplied to offset the lack of taste and that helped the overall sensory experience. If I remember correctly I ate about ninety percent of the dinner while finishing off a bottle of vino tinto.

When I heard the news from France I felt 'flat'. Here was someone, I believed, was pretty much 'what you see is what you get"... warts and all. In todays world of manufactured image and shallow 'desperatley seeking celebrity' Anthony Bourdain stood out for honesty and integrity. In the end he was overwhelmed by his demons and "took the last train for the coast", and I for one offer him prayers and happiness. If their is a God, Anthony will be on a scooter in Vietnam riding from foodstall to street vendor eating noodles and fresh fish while quaffing a cold, amber liquid and blissfully exhorting of the "happiness" of it all.

Happy trails amigo, and...

Buen Camino.

Thank you. I really needed to read this today. I'm not one easily affected by "celebrity deaths" but his really shook me. I really doubt I'd ever done many of the things I have without endlessly watching his show. I'm doing my first camino in September. I wanted to go since I was 20, 12 years ago, and learned about it in art history. I am horribly unfit, I drink too much, and at this point, in between jobs, I finally have the time to actually go. I'll reread this the next time I freak out about what the hell I'm doing leaving my entire life behind for am month!

Sarah,
You are not "leaving your entire life behind" by walking the Camino. You are living your 'entire' life by walking the Camino.
And, with everything you do and every Camino you walk...no matter where it is, or what it looks like, the 'entirety' of it all multiplies. You will know this is happening as the smile on your face becomes your 'entre' expression of life.

Have a wonderful Camino,

Buen Camino

What a sweet and raw story. Thanks for posting. The loss of Anthony Bourdain leaves so many people sad but this story is such a tribute to him.

I have just read a REVIEW of a book, not the book. Title: The Inflamed Mind: A Radical New approach to Depression. Author: Edward Bullmore. I might be telling my granny how to suck eggs, but I post this in case it is of help for anyone who suffers from depression and has not heard of the approach highlighted in the review.

@kirkie, yes, it is good to see a completely different approach being taken to mental illness. We had one breakthrough with the realisation that the brain is actually plastic (so we are not 'hardwired' and incapable of change). This is another. It was time for a shift.

I’ve learnt a lot through various organisations that have been helping me, and of course through my own clinical knowledge (as a health care professional) and certainly believe/know that we can Change.

I’m looking forward to my Camino to help that change

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Johnlewis47 a long walk is the best thing for my own mental and physical health, without a doubt. This particular new research is looking at how the body's own immune system may cause symptoms such as psychosis and depression. It may not be relevant to all but is likely to be for some, and whatever the outcome of the research it is good to see some new thinking by the medical scientists.

@kirkie, yes, it is good to see a completely different approach being taken to mental illness. We had one breakthrough with the realisation that the brain is actually plastic (so we are not 'hardwired' and incapable of change). This is another. It was time for a shift.
I followed a realtime course a few years ago, The 21st Century Brain, and then an online one, What is a Mind? They both addressed the growing knowledge and understanding of plasticity, and that indeed we are not hard wired from the start...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back