• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Antidote for Post-Camino Blues ...

Man in Black

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Camino Finisterre (2017)
Chemin St Jacques (2018)
Rota Vicentina (2019)
... have a Pilgrim Party!

We completed the Camino Frances in the middle of October and were a little bluesy returning to Canada. Last weekend we invited 3 Camino veterans and 3 aspiring Camino walkers to our home for a Pilgrim Party. It was BYOP & C -- bring your own poles and compostellas -- with yellow flechas along our sidewalk and driveway directing the invitees to our albergue. As hosts we provided Caldo Gallego and cheap red wine for the potluck. Our guests brought crusty bread, salad, manchega cheese, olives, and little ham tapas topped with figs to round out the meal.

A local Anglican priest who has led Camino tours in the past baked the best Tarte de Santiago on this side of the Atlantic complete with the Cross of Saint James stenciled in icing sugar. It was a joyous evening and as my wife and I were the only common thread amongst the diners, the night was comparable to communal meals on the Way with strangers becoming fast friends before the night was finished.

We swapped tales of the Camino while listening to a CD recorded by Oliver Schroer, a Canadian violinist who walked the Camino in 2004. He recorded his music in churches and cathedrals while walking the Camino. His CD is entitled simply camino (lowercase). My favourite piece is field of stars and in the CD jacket Schroer introduces the piece with poetry "Over the course of the camino, I loosened my grip and let this melody shatter against stone walls and romanesque arches. The echos and shards reassembled and found new life." Oliver died a few years later but his legacy is this hauntingly beautiful music.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have three Camino friends I met in 2015 on the Camino Frances at Corazon Puro's communal dinner. We all live in the midwest USA and have enjoyed three "Camino mini reunions" together every September, in what has now become an annual event. We meet for 3 days, two nights at a different hotel each year, choosing locations with good hiking trails. We have a tapas party one of the nights, serving a variety of tapas, olives, cheeses, Santiago cake (the best recipe this side of the Canadian border:)), and Rioja wine. We snack on this little feast while viewing each others' most recent Camino pictures on one of the in-room tv's. There are no APOC groups in my surrounding area and these yearly gatherings are a real highlight of sharing our Camino memories!

Last edited:
@Man in Black and @Camino Chris, it looks as if you know how to have a great time ... but ... I didn't see pulpo mentioned. :( And you have no excuses, you live between two oceans after all. :rolleyes:
Ha, ha!
As much as I enjoyed a little "limited amount" of pulpo on my Caminos, I'm kind of glad it's not readily available here. I'd probably be the one assigned to bring it to the tapas party...no thanks! o_O

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You a
Ha, ha!
As much as I enjoyed a little "limited amount" of pulpo on my Caminos, I'm kind of glad it's not readily available here. I'd probably be the one assigned to bring it to the tapas party...no thanks! o_O

Chris:

You are bringing back fond culinary memories of a birthday meal at a pulperria in Melide. Unfortunately, no octopus here in landlocked Alberta.

Attachments

• 20171005_181829.jpg
    20171005_181829.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I love this post! What a wonderful way to bring a little bit of the Camino back home. You’ve given me some food for thought.

... have a Pilgrim Party!

We swapped tales of the Camino while listening to a CD recorded by Oliver Schroer, a Canadian violinist who walked the Camino in 2004. He recorded his music in churches and cathedrals while walking the Camino. His CD is entitled simply camino (lowercase). My favourite piece is field of stars and in the CD jacket Schroer introduces the piece with poetry "Over the course of the camino, I loosened my grip and let this melody shatter against stone walls and romanesque arches. The echos and shards reassembled and found new life." Oliver died a few years later but his legacy is this hauntingly beautiful music.

Sounds like a wonderful evening! I'm a fan of Oliver Schroer - his loss was deeply sad. I wonder if you've seen this video from his last concert where he talks about his camino experience?

I have his album. I think someone first posted about it on this forum just after it was released; it may even have been Oliver himself. I sent away for it immediately. It is beautiful.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have his album. I think someone first posted about it on this forum just after it was released; it may even have been Oliver himself. I sent away for it immediately. It is beautiful.
I only just now listened to the little video the OP shared of Oliver's violin music...so very beautiful and touching. Loved it! I hope I can get a copy of his cd, too.

We snack on this little feast while viewing each others' most recent Camino pictures on one of the in-room tv's.
I was thinking that a slideshow would be nice but instead of having folks bringing their own CD/DVDs of pictures there might be an app or website where a slideshow could run off a list of URLs to pictures. Then you only need to start the thing once. Additionally you could scramble the URLs so you don't have any one person's shots showing too long. And you could throw in pictures from stranger's blogs.

I started a little search for such a thing and I found something similar at http://theslideshow.net but what this does is it allows you to enter a search term (e.g. Camino de Santiago or Burgos) and it will will then start showing images that it has found. Hookup the PC/laptop to the TV with an HDMI cable and enjoy the show. You can help the site out by showing ads or you can remove them. I just found this but I figured that I better mention it now while I'm excited.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The Camino Blues is, I must admit, a chronic condition with only one treatment, another Camino. This condition is normal and is suffered / enjoyed by most human beings exposed to the source of this malady.

I do admire your stiff upper lip attitude to your ailment and the attempt at relieving its symptoms by sharing with like minded and equally ailing individuals.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back