• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anxious again

efdoucette

Time of past OR future Camino
2011 Camino Frances
Since 2011 - too many to list
It's back, that anxious feeling. In 2011 I walked the Camino Frances from St Jean PDP, last year I walked the Portuguese route from Oporto. In 7 days I leave for Le Puy en Velay to walk the Via Podiense. Yes, I've become a Camino junkie. Every year at this time I don't sleep very well, waking up with anticipation and trepidation. You think by now it would more routine, I know I have everything I need and I am ready physically and mentally, I think.

Sorry this post is more for me than anything constructive to share with the Camino community. I thought it may help the anxiety level if I posted to the forum, so hoping for a good nights sleep, ahhhhh.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It's back, that anxious feeling. In 2011 I walked the Camino Frances from St Jean PDP, last year I walked the Portuguese route from Oporto. In 7 days I leave for Le Puy en Velay to walk the Via Podiense. Yes, I've become a Camino junkie. Every year at this time I don't sleep very well, waking up with anticipation and trepidation. You think by now it would more routine, I know I have everything I need and I am ready physically and mentally, I think.

Sorry this post is more for me than anything constructive to share with the Camino community. I thought it may help the anxiety level if I posted to the forum, so hoping for a good nights sleep, ahhhhh.

Sleep well!

I think only you know the possible sources of your trepidation...

But would it be helpful to make a bulletized list of all the good things that you experienced on your earlier hikes? Maybe also create an album of your favorite photos from them? Then try to write what happened to resolve or alleviate the feeling of trepidation (assuming you might have felt this before your earlier Caminos). Just a thought.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My own experience is that the feeling of trepidation is inevitable, no matter how many lists you make, how many times you walk, how much preparation you have done. Just a normal occurrence in the life of a camino junkie. I don't mean to minimize it, but I don't know how to banish it. EXCEPT to take the first step from the LePuy cathedral, and you will wonder what happened to all of that anxiety from one minute to the next! Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've felt the same anxiety. Perhaps it's the best indication that what you are about to start doing is worthwhile, and not all easy. I know I have felt that anxiety slip away both times as I stepped out on those first kilometres, and heard the birds singing in the countryside. May you know the same rising joy as you step out on the path...
Margaret

It was done by a child in my class- taken off a birthday card she made for me. A real keepsake. Margaret

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well last night's sleep was no better, waking after 4 hours with Camino on my mind. I'm not alarmed by this, I think it's the Camino preparing me for the jet lag / time change / early morning rises in the gites etc.

I agree with you Laurie, Kathy & Margaret, it's normal. I think it's likely just an extension of a personality trait. It's become apparent as I embark on my third Camino that excitement, anticipation and mild trepidation is just part of the go.

Thanks all

Hey, you're supposed to be revved and excited. It's the Way of Le Puy. You do realise how good this is going to be?

Love your avatar, nomad. (Lot of lipstick though.)

Best to all pelerins

Rob

Well, Doucette, join the club! :)
Just realise that you've joined our elite group of hooked peregrinos, and your NEXT camino will be the best you've ever had!
Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My Camino has just taken another interesting turn of events. My french friend had to cancel, now I'm solo, english only and leave this afternoon. This should be interesting. Do you think I will survive?

Hi, Ed, I'm sure this is a last minute shock but my bottom line to your question is -- YES!! Not only will you survive, you will thrive. I know this changes the total dynamic and that last minute changes are likely to increase the feeling of anxiety/anticipation, but pick up a French phrase book in the airport and off you go. Think of it as a golden opportunity to test your own abilities while being always in very close proximity to help. It's a beautiful route, and I bet that in a few days you will have found companionship and your "can do" determination will be unshaken.

Lucky you, off to LePuy. Go well, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back