• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anxious last 3 weeks

Font007

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Hi all,

I have three weeks before I depart for Spain and start my Camino. After having planned this for about 8 months, I now feel unsure, doubtful, nervous, overwhelmed. I have read two guides, looked at countless blogs, websites, comments, movies, videos-I think I know everything and am I ready. But am I? Is is normal? Do I need to be walking with a guide, a map, or do a follow the signs on the route? Will I get lost? I have so many questions. Is there anyone out there that feels the same? Can anyone give any words of encouragement? Thank you all in advance.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi there. Don't be scared. It's very hard to get lost (unless you rely entirely on cellphone maps). Just use common sense - I use a mix of guidebook, official and unofficial signage, what does the path look like, what is everyone else doing, which way is the sun facing, and failing all that, locals will often come up to you and tell you if you are going the wrong way. You will often find that you walk for a whole day without even needing to look at your guidebook's map.

I read no blogs or books, saw no films and joined this forum a month before my first camino, I was fine. You have information overload. Relax and enjoy your final little preparations.

Last edited:
Your fears are perfectly normal at this stage. After all, launching yourself off into the unknown and alone......crazy right? Check out this recent thread from someone in just your position..... https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/packing-my-fears.47876/

The bottom line is that your best way forward is to close your eyes and jump. You have done your research. You are well prepared. You can do this. You might even get lost, but you will soon get found again. Just kidding, the trail is really well marked, and the locals are great about pointing the Way for wayward pilgrims. As soon as you get out there, all these fears melt away. You are in for one of the best experiences of your life. 

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all,

I have three weeks before I depart for Spain and start my Camino. After having planned this for about 8 months, I now feel unsure, doubtful, nervous, overwhelmed. I have read two guides, looked at countless blogs, websites, comments, movies, videos-I think I know everything and am I ready. But am I? Is is normal? Do I need to be walking with a guide, a map, or do a follow the signs on the route? Will I get lost? I have so many questions. Is there anyone out there that feels the same? Can anyone give any words of encouragement? Thank you all in advance.
Yes, it is perfectly normal. Especially on your first Camino, but I leave for my 2nd (the Primitivo) in 3 weeks, and I am going through exactly the same doubts, and feelings of being overwhelmed. You do not need a guide, but you very easily might join up with others along the way. I met a group in SJPP and Orisson and we drifted in and out of each others' lives along The Way. You will not get lost as long as you are being observant - the route is well marked. And others will look out for you. There were several times that we saw that someone had missed an arrow or a sign, and we would call out to them. I had the Brierly guide, but it certainly would not have been necessary for the Frances. You seem as if you have done everything possible to prepare yourself. Good luck, enjoy your Camino!! And if you have any questions/concerns as you go along, use the forum again.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I found that just attending the small details, as Notion900 recommended, was great. Just put that P. port where it's safe, have your charger and adapter handy, credit cards set. Try to sleep well. So many people would love to be doing what you're doing--right now!--that we are excited with you, and for you. Ah, the first big Camino....such a complete joy.

When I walked over the Pyrenees Mountains, I was in a state of bliss every difficult, pouring step of the way. The rain and wind were so intense, but I knew I was walking the Camino, and I was so glad. I wish you a Buen Camino.

Hi all,

Absolutely, I felt the same way! Mostly excited and anxious to get started though. But believe me, when you look back on your journey, it'll seem like it went by too fast -- well, at least for me it seems that way. Having committed to going you're already on the Camino, in my book. Just wait till you wake up that first morning, pack on, poles (if you have them) in hand, fresh (but broken in, yes?) boots laced up, and take those initial steps! My advice for you until then is NOT to read any more forums or books. Be confident that you've packed everything you need, and that you'll be able to buy or find anything else once there. You have your pack, your travel PASSPORT (you can pick up your Camino passport in St. Jean or Pamplona, or other places), and credit cards/money -- you're all set. Sounds like you've done enough research already, so now, just take it one step at a time and focus on what's right in front of you. All is good. Savor every day you're out there, rain or shine. Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You'll be fine. This forum is a wonderful information overload. It's really not as complicated as it sounds. Actually the Camino is quite simple. Don't overpack, wear comfortable shoes, and just start walking. You'll find your rhythm and whatever challenges come along will be handled. Rest well and enjoy the anticipation.

BuenCamino!

You will have a wonderful Camino. And I suspect that a lot of what you feel is anticipation. Very hard to get lost--just follow the yellow arrows!! (and be sure your shadow is mostly on your right). I think route-finding is a far smaller problem than finding a bed.
And in the past I found the RED brochure and the handout from the Amis in SJPdP to be the most useful. On last summers short trip (Leon to Santiago), I used Gronze a lot as it seems well updated with new albergues.
Unlike many, I loved Brierley guidebook because it covers much more than 'maps'. I took it on my early Caminos and also used the margins for my diary.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back